Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

That dude's sick arrow tricks were in fact incredibly lame looking. His little hop to shoot over that wall was hilariously awkward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

That dude's sick arrow tricks were in fact incredibly lame looking. His little hop to shoot over that wall was hilariously awkward.

I liked his lameness it added to it, after he did a shot he struck a pose that reminded me of:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcq-TZdDSlo

With his arms held back in a dramatic fashion

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
Is that scene from a "legitimate" documentary about Ulillillia or like his sister filming or something?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
You know those videos of people shooting baskets over the house/jumping into the pool/from a moving car/etc?
Those people aren't really really good at basketball, they just do 400 takes until they sink it.
SPOILER ALERT

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

darkhand posted:

Is that scene from a "legitimate" documentary about Ulillillia or like his sister filming or something?

I dunno, sorry

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Fool and the World posted:

Yeah, this is the important bit. History would have been a lot cooler if it had actually been John Woo's fever dream.

It certainly was: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pd0bqLQrtdE

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Who gives a gently caress about archery.

Here is a cat ten times more badass than any of you.]
WANRNING: There is a picture of a sort of mangled up cat.

quote:

TAMPA, Fla. -- If ever the "Cats have nine lives" cliche was appropriate, it would be for Bart the miracle cat.

Not only was Bart hit by a car, he was buried alive. Five days later, he clawed his way back to life.

The Human Society of Tampa Bay released a statement to ABC, explaining what happened to Bart after his owner discovered that he had been hit by a car:

"The cat appeared to be lifeless and the owner buried him. Five days later, the cat showed up in a neighbors yard, alive!"

How does the Humane Society believe the cat pulled off the feat? It wasn't easy, even for this resilient little guy.

"He had dug himself out of the grave and slowly made his way back home, albeit in weak, dehydrated and in need of medical attention," the society explained.

I guess that's 2 down, 7 to go?

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
:stare:

I think I saw a movie about this once.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

See, this is why historically when people die, you have a wake. It's a wake, because it's literally held just in case the "dead" person wakes up.

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Gym badge day is a VERY dangerous day!

Boat posted:

See, this is why historically when people die, you have a wake. It's a wake, because it's literally held just in case the "dead" person wakes up.

Although that loses some probability when they drain all your body fluids during embalming. :(

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Here's Hafþór Júlíus Björnsson (aka The Mountain from TV's Game of Thrones) in the World’s Strongest Viking competition where he recreates a feat of strength from the Icelandic Sagas where Ormur Stórólfsson carried a 650kg log on his back for three steps. Björnsson manages five steps and therefore beats a record which had stood for 1,000 years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpUrXJNcS_8

He's not just strongest man of the year, he's the strongest man of the millennium.

cyberbug
Sep 30, 2004

The name is Carl Seltz...
insurance inspector.

davidspackage posted:

I have nightmares sort of like this.
Then you're going to love these.
What if the Moon was as close as the ISS? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBDZtt0vWD8&t=22s
What if Saturn flew past the Earth? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nY2jv4GWUhQ&t=154s

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Boat posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wake_(ceremony)

quote:

While the modern usage of the verb "wake" is "become or stay alert", a "wake" for the dead harks back to the antiquated "watch" or "guard" sense. This is contrary to the misconception that people at a wake are waiting in case the deceased should "wake up."[2]

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

Still, leaving the body to sit for long enough that it starts to smell funky is a pretty good way to make sure you're not burying live people back before we knew how to tell for sure.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

Your wikipedia quote is for more of a modern definition of the term. Wake did in fact mean that it was a watch over the body to see if they woke up/ward off evil spirits. That is why the body could never be alone and had to always be watched. This is also why in some cultures wakes were large parties to make as much noise as possible to try and wake the dead.

Read a few more books/websites than wiki.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

JEEVES420 posted:

Your wikipedia quote is for more of a modern definition of the term. Wake did in fact mean that it was a watch over the body to see if they woke up/ward off evil spirits. That is why the body could never be alone and had to always be watched. This is also why in some cultures wakes were large parties to make as much noise as possible to try and wake the dead.

citation needed

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Pedants are super badass.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

I like how the camera man and the guy to the left don't even flinch.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK

JEEVES420 posted:

Wrong, wrong, wrong.

Wakes originated in Ireland, which is predominantly Roman Catholic. There are quite a few restricitions on when Catholic funeral masses can be held - basically a chunk of the Christmas season and about 50 days either side of Easter. Funerals can still be held at anytime but during these times there would be little or no opportunity for a gathering of friends, families and acquaintances of the deceased, so they began to hold wakes instead. The custom spread so wakes were even held outside of the Easter season.

During a wake the body is kept in their home on show, and people could arrive uninvited at any time between the death and the funeral. This meant that someone would have to stay awake to receive these visitors and those same visitors would usually stay a while, particularly at night, to help the awake visitors stay awake.

So it doesn't mean that they're waiting for the body to wake up, it means that everyone is staying awake to keep each other awake, so they can receive more visitors who in turn will stay awake. At a wake everyone is awake except the dead guy.

Simple :)

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

That's the Peace Walker.

cowboythreespeech
Dec 28, 2008

When I was a kid I figured it was called a wake because it followed death, a la the wake of a boat.

Nebelwerfer
Jul 25, 2008

He carried our avenging steel over the Rhine,
He drank the emperor's toast from the Danube.

WoodrowSkillson posted:

in short he is using a bow that would do nothing to anyone back in the day. its one thing to do what he is doing with a light bow as opposed to one with a 100lb or more draw weight and war arrows.

Horsebows were actually more lighter in draw than yeomen warbows used in England u uneducated swine, it was not about penetration, it was about massed volleys of sharp sticks flying towards you. If you re-watch the Andersson-clip you'd notice that most of the stuff he recites is from cultures that relied on and therefore refined the term "mounted archery"

Also the subject was ancient archery and not "a form of archery that lasted about a century or two before replaced by firearms"

Nebelwerfer has a new favorite as of 13:03 on Feb 19, 2015

Tinyzilla
Apr 22, 2009

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away

This is where Till Lindemann grew up, isn't it?

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Man gets hip replaced, asks the doctor for his femur, makes a cane out of it.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

Edmond Dantes posted:

Man gets hip replaced, asks the doctor for his femur, makes a cane out of it.

e: found it:

tl;dr Orthopedic surgeon calls bullshit

Lady Disdain has a new favorite as of 23:19 on Feb 21, 2015

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Istari posted:

e: found it:

tl;dr Orthopedic surgeon calls bullshit

Welp, that'll teach me to trust the internet. :v:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Don't trust reddit. Ever.

Reddit pomps itself up as a populist website but it's run by power users and/or corporate plants spouting bullshit stories and has been for years now. It's owned by Conde loving Nast for god's sake, it's not some basement labor of love like 4chan supposedly was or even an Elite start-up story like Facebook. It is and always has been a corporate for-profit enterprise masquerading as "content submitted and determined by the users."

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

mind the walrus posted:

Reddit pomps itself up as a populist website but it's run by power users and/or corporate plants spouting bullshit stories and has been for years now. It's owned by Conde loving Nast for god's sake, it's not some basement labor of love like 4chan supposedly was or even an Elite start-up story like Facebook. It is and always has been a corporate for-profit enterprise masquerading as "content submitted and determined by the users."

:pwn:

More importantly the voting system creates incentives to seek upvotes at any cost. People are endlessly reposting old photos and claiming to be the person who took it.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

mind the walrus posted:

But what about when Reddit posts are disproving Reddit posts. :lost:

cowboythreespeech
Dec 28, 2008

Is that the ghost of Lassie watching over that jet?

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

cowboythreespeech posted:

Stay safe Doge ghost

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away

lyk if u fall down a well evertim

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

holy poo poo

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

poptart_fairy posted:

But what about when Reddit posts are disproving Reddit posts. :lost:

That's the rub of reddit. It's the best link aggregator website I personally know of, even if most of its communities and general corporate ethos are absolute dogshit. That said there are pockets of quality and sincerity by basic semantic definition alone-- if most of the content is manufactured and/or fake, then by definition the rest has to be sincere.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

cyberbug posted:

What if the Moon was as close as the ISS? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBDZtt0vWD8&t=22s
What if Saturn flew past the Earth? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nY2jv4GWUhQ&t=154s

This is literally the scariest thing I've ever seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.

cyberbug posted:

I have nightmares sort of like this.
[/quote]

That is terrifying and beautiful. I've had dreams/nightmares like that too, and in my dreams I'm always scared and awed by the beauty of it. Just think if that were for real, we'd all be so used to it that we wouldn't even think about it.