Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

dis astranagant posted:

The shops stock honey and yuckwheat somewhat frequently and trash mobs rarely carry it. I wouldn't try Golgotha without either them or a flamethrower, just for safety.

I don't know where you find the salt for the flaming ick but canteens are common and starapple farmers are everywhere and sell cider. Maybe the salt dudes are pure salt idk. Ubernostrum is guaranteed for doing the Redrock quest but pretty rare and one of the reasons one might want to take Tinkering II, assuming you can find a source for the bits.

e: looks like you get salt by pouring a bit of water on to the sand dunes, getting you a 1:1 salt solution that you can add more water and cider to. You will end up with a canteen of "brackish spiced cider", which you can then light on fire as you see fit. Maybe pouring it on the ground anywhere is enough? You get dilute salt just dumping some on the ground in Joppa.

ee:yep, screw yuckwheat and honey, the flaming ick is trivial to make so just bring some with you. You only need a dram to cure the disease and you make at least 5 in the process.

The recipe for the flaming ick is randomized each game. When I did it I needed wine and asphalt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

The recipe for the flaming ick is randomized each game. When I did it I needed wine and asphalt.

Asphalt has a big sign on the world map for how to get it. Not sure I've seen wine anywhere but small amounts on various merchants. The only way I could see it getting hard is if you end up needing desalinated slime, as desalination tablets are fairly rare.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

dis astranagant posted:

Asphalt has a big sign on the world map for how to get it. Not sure I've seen wine anywhere but small amounts on various merchants.

Mine was like, asphalt, wine, and cider. A merchant had wine though.

How do you light stuff on fire(I assume that's what the flamethrower would have been for? I never found one.)

Gonna play again tomorrow, good game, seems like a ton of room for trying stuff out. I barely got any skills with my loadout so I'm sure an agi or str based character would be fun too.

Is there a reasonable way to get more food, or is it just kind of the thing you do to find food every few steps on the world map?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Flamethrower, pyrokinesis, thermal grenades, flaming hands, probably other poo poo. The flamethrower is because it destroys the pools of goo and very quickly wrecks the boss.

Butchery can get you lots of portable food, or you can just drop to a random map tile and murder something whenever you're hungry (corpses are edible even without butchery). You can also buy a fair bit from the shop in animal town. When Joppa is first generated you can pick up about 500 vinewafers from various people for maybe $10-20, that'll last you a while and doesn't weigh anything.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Jan 27, 2015

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

dis astranagant posted:

Flamethrower, pyrokinesis, thermal grenades, flaming hands, probably other poo poo. The flamethrower is because it destroys the pools of goo and very quickly wrecks the boss.

So you'd drop whatever it is on the ground(say, your canteen of mixed liquids for flaming ick) and then fire at it?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Yeah. It won't burn out in your inventory but leaving it on the ground will cause it to be destroyed by the fire in a few dozen turns.

It amuses me that it always tastes awful even though mine is just watered down cider with a dash of salt.

e: You also don't need a canteen, a waterskin is fine. You just need the right mix and a flaming container.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Jan 27, 2015

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I think I figured out how Willpower works: it divides cooldowns by 1+(willpower mod/2), capped at 5.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Jan 27, 2015

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
So, 868-Hack got released on Steam. I played a ton of freeware version way back when, and I probably will buy this one to support the dev, even though the differences between the two are mostly balance changes and some new abilities and enemy types. It's a really good game though, a small scale tactical roguelike where your abilities can change the playstyle completely, and each opponent has a very clear pattern to exploit. So, something in the vein of Hoplite/Depths of Tolagal. The art style might not be for everyone, but it's a very well designed game.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

dis astranagant posted:

Yeah. It won't burn out in your inventory but leaving it on the ground will cause it to be destroyed by the fire in a few dozen turns.

Later in the game you can find tiles of magma that you can walk on. Of course, this sets you on fire, but it doesn't kill you very quickly; there's plenty of time to fill a canteen with some of the stuff. And then spend the rest of the game carrying around a flaming canteen (64 drams of magma).

Do this once and you can buy anything in the game, because magma is hilariously valuable. I think it's something like 250 drams of water = 1 dram of magma.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Yeah, a full waterskin of magma is worth roughly 4500 drams for a character with 13 or so Ego. I was able to trade one to the Alchemist for a phial of cloning draught, which I never got to play with because some rear end in a top hat with a rocket launcher busted the Sky-Bear out and he somehow pursued me up an elevator shaft and murdled my poo poo but good. That guy does not gently caress around at all.

You have to brawl your way through a lengthy dungeon with some relatively tough enemies to get to the magma, but it's a surefire way to afford wine or other Ick ingredients if you're a 10-Ego Socially Repugnant fart ogre with Glotrot.

e: On an unrelated note, could fists be classified as cudgels? I feel like it'd be a lot of fun to use cudgel skills and monstrously high strength to take advantage of uncapped unarmed penetration, and just run around punching poo poo to death.

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Jan 27, 2015

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Bjorn you glad I didn't say banana?

Burning Rain posted:

So, 868-Hack got released on Steam. I played a ton of freeware version way back when, and I probably will buy this one to support the dev, even though the differences between the two are mostly balance changes and some new abilities and enemy types. It's a really good game though, a small scale tactical roguelike where your abilities can change the playstyle completely, and each opponent has a very clear pattern to exploit. So, something in the vein of Hoplite/Depths of Tolagal. The art style might not be for everyone, but it's a very well designed game.

I can't tell from the video. Is this turn based or real time?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
It's turn-based.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Also, I didn't want to try this in my first game that got far, but what happens if you disintegrate your way in to inner grit gate without hurting anyone. Do they attack you?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Also, I didn't want to try this in my first game that got far, but what happens if you disintegrate your way in to inner grit gate without hurting anyone. Do they attack you?

Nah, but they also won't interact with you until you complete Golgotha.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Nah, but they also won't interact with you until you complete Golgotha.

You can still trade with people, getting you a couple more tinkering shops.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Is there gonna be any more Qud beta keys? All this talk is making me really jealous and I'm a lame who can't deal with ASCII anymore.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

alansmithee posted:

Is there gonna be any more Qud beta keys? All this talk is making me really jealous and I'm a lame who can't deal with ASCII anymore.

I bet there will be when the next patch drops, it sounds like a big one.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Can I safely stash stuff in town or will townspeople pick it up? I had real inventory weight problems. I had no idea what to do with all the computer parts, and had infinite money from all the bracelets that I could sell.

I kind of hate inventory weight constraints in roguelikes because one always ends up right on the edge of the maximum, and every time you pick something up you have to decide what to drop.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Set autopickup scrap to off unless you have or are planning to get tinkering skills. They're worth little and do nothing until you disassemble them.

It's worth noting that chests weigh one pound and can be picked up. I'm pretty sure stashing poo poo in a chest you placed in town will keep it safe.

dis astranagant posted:

You can still trade with people, getting you a couple more tinkering shops.

Speaking of which, I keep getting notifications that a third merchant in Grit Gate has restocked inventory, but I can only ever reach the bear dude in the front and some tinker hanging out in the next room. Half of Grit Gate is still locked after Golgotha. Am I supposed to be able to reach the rest of it and trade with someone else?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
As far as I can tell, if you just dump your items in a pile in town, the townspeople will leave them alone. If it is the case that wanderers can pick things up, leave your items at the entrance to Grit Gate; nobody ever goes there.

Also, don't bother to trade in your trade goods for water; the goods are way more "value-dense".

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Angry Diplomat posted:

Set autopickup scrap to off unless you have or are planning to get tinkering skills. They're worth little and do nothing until you disassemble them.

It's worth noting that chests weigh one pound and can be picked up. I'm pretty sure stashing poo poo in a chest you placed in town will keep it safe.

Speaking of which, I keep getting notifications that a third merchant in Grit Gate has restocked inventory, but I can only ever reach the bear dude in the front and some tinker hanging out in the next room. Half of Grit Gate is still locked after Golgotha. Am I supposed to be able to reach the rest of it and trade with someone else?

I think more unlocks after Bethesda Susa. Or you can dig around. He only sells data disks.

SpruceZeus
Aug 13, 2011

Tollymain posted:

just watched a stream for delver, it looks about what my expectations for "minecraft-as-roguelike" pegged it to be

in a good way, or in a bad way

vvv Yo sounds good man, thanks for the rec

SpruceZeus fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Jan 28, 2015

TyreForHyre
Dec 22, 2011

Ask me about capital Ds and how disintegration is totally rad.

Burning Rain posted:

I cannot praise this game enough, seriously. I'm so jazzed to see the PC port finally come out. It's super drat addicting and I love the various ambient and enemy specific noise as you scrap yourself out of countless bad situations, only to fall to your greed of that sweet sweet data and spawn a whole bunch of crap that wrecks you in three moves.

It's also nice that each run is so short, but there is a cool streak mode implemented where you try and compete for a highscore of most points across a run of won games, if you are into that kinda thing of course. It also has some new system where you unlock new powers as you complete successful runs, so it eases you into the game of trying to complete easier low point runs (because collecting points spawns more nasty crap) before you figure you have your big boy pants hitched up high enough to be a true Greedy Little Hacker.

I seriously suggest taking a look at it if you want something that is light in playtime, but has a fair amount of depth and decision making. I think it feels like Cave Noire with a Decker aesthetic and that is hella rad in my book.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I'm going to wait a bit and see if 868-HACK comes to GOG, but it's definitely on my radar. Short-form roguelikes are buttering my bread these days.

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

not too simple and not too kind
Fallen Rib
I'm having trouble with Qud, and by 'trouble' I mean 'I might be in need of a remedial course'.

To wit -- nothing seems to, well, do anything. I rolled an esper with Beguile and time clones, and beguiled some things, but they wouldn't attack anything, and I couldn't find a way to order them to. I time fugued, and a single clone showed up, and he didn't attack anything either. Is there like a mode or something I'm supposed to use?

Also, the divider between the info panel and game window has these things, like a heart, and an arrow, and some dots? and sometimes they're green and sometimes grey? What's that about? Also, how do I read the combat log, because right now it's <heart> 2d2 (15 damage) and I have no idea how they got 15 from 2d2, there's also <arrow> some other number.

Blackray Jack
Apr 7, 2007
Murderology AND Murderonomy!

palecur posted:

I'm having trouble with Qud, and by 'trouble' I mean 'I might be in need of a remedial course'.

To wit -- nothing seems to, well, do anything. I rolled an esper with Beguile and time clones, and beguiled some things, but they wouldn't attack anything, and I couldn't find a way to order them to. I time fugued, and a single clone showed up, and he didn't attack anything either. Is there like a mode or something I'm supposed to use?

Also, the divider between the info panel and game window has these things, like a heart, and an arrow, and some dots? and sometimes they're green and sometimes grey? What's that about? Also, how do I read the combat log, because right now it's <heart> 2d2 (15 damage) and I have no idea how they got 15 from 2d2, there's also <arrow> some other number.

The hearts give a graphic inclination of how hard the attack hit, and how many times it hit. Brown is light. Yellow and red or red and yellow...whichever order, are medium. Pink is hardest hitting. Arrows (the green message arrows, not literal arrow arrows) have to deal with penetration value I believe, it's been a while since I played though. You should see a message like 'You hit so and so x (number)' and then show you the damage. Basically it's penetration value but some things may have been mixed up but I'm fairly sure I'm on the money. If you fail to penetrate you'll see a grey O or 0 flash over the enemy, meaning your attack failed to penetrate or missed.

Blackray Jack fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Jan 28, 2015

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The Towerclimb dev posted about a sale over on Reddit. http://www.reddit.com/r/GameDeals/comments/2tr8gb/towerclimb_5_cad_50/

In the thread he also says that it should be finished / on steam in a couple months. It's been greenlit for quite a while.

I bought it like... 3 years ago? but put it down because I wanted to see more content. I'm looking forward to it coming out for real.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

palecur posted:

Time clones probably aren't smart enough to use anything that isn't a direct attack of some kind. I dunno how good they are at melee; I mostly just use them to get extra Lase/Sunder Mind/Pyrokinesis/etc. shots. You'll get more clones as your Time Fugue skill levels up; if you have high Ego, then it'll level naturally as you level up for quite some time.

quote:

The symbols in the divider are telling you information about your skills and status. For example, each of your active skills gets a symbol on there, which is red when timed out and green when available. There's other stuff there too, though, that I personally haven't figured out.

As for the combat messages, read the manual (from the title screen); it explains all that.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

In particular, I've observed that time clones will swing uselessly at stuff in melee rather than use their mutations, and if you're using a missile weapon they'll often try to shoot stuff with it and then fall prey to a silly AI glitch that makes projectile-using NPCs experience a psychotic break and mill around refusing to do anything when they run out of ammo. Are you wielding an empty gun/bow? I've had that confuse my time clones before.

Additionally, time clones appear with the same current cooldown as you have. If you use up all your lase charges and then pop Fugue, you'll have a bunch of alternate yous with zero lase charges.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

They also have zero inhibition toward shooting you in the back or throwing every grenade they have at a dude right next to you.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

dis astranagant posted:

They also have zero inhibition toward shooting you in the back or throwing every grenade they have at a dude right next to you.

Yeah, my usual policy with Time Fugue is to summon the clones and then run the gently caress away. They work best when summoned right at the start of a fight, before anyone can close to melee range, because enemies generally ignore your clones and home in on you -- which means that you'll be right next to the center of any AOE attacks.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Jordan7hm posted:

The Towerclimb dev posted about a sale over on Reddit. http://www.reddit.com/r/GameDeals/comments/2tr8gb/towerclimb_5_cad_50/

In the thread he also says that it should be finished / on steam in a couple months. It's been greenlit for quite a while.

I bought it like... 3 years ago? but put it down because I wanted to see more content. I'm looking forward to it coming out for real.

Thanks for the heads up, I completely forgot I bought it back then! Glad to hear he's still chipping away at it and intends to finish it.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Jordan7hm posted:

Dang, it's about time. I bought it about two years ago, and liked it, but set it down because I want the final product. It's been at that price for a good long time as well. But I'm glad he's making that final push, it's a unique game.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe
We signed megane to just tile the whole drat thing with his inspired style!

Before I was kind of ok on the idea of going tiles, but I'm really excited about the new look!

Here's a current in-engine shot, unshackled from EGA colorset. The colors are now totally data-driven (and moddable):

and a mockup of where we're going:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Unormal posted:

Speaking as an ASCII bigot, this is still really cool.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Just a PSA for would-be roguelike devs out there: the CGA/EGA colorset sucks vast oceans of dick on most LCD monitors, especially blue text on black backgrounds.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Please consider square tiles instead of oblong ones, being able to judge distances quickly is a really helpful quality of life feature.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

dis astranagant posted:

Just a PSA for would-be roguelike devs out there: the CGA/EGA colorset sucks vast oceans of dick on most LCD monitors, especially blue text on black backgrounds.

The two CGA palettes suck dick in general no matter what display technology you're using.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Unormal posted:

Before I was kind of ok on the idea of going tiles, but I'm really excited about the new look!

Here's a current in-engine shot, unshackled from EGA colorset. The colors are now totally data-driven (and moddable):

and a mockup of where we're going:

This owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Please consider square tiles instead of oblong ones, being able to judge distances quickly is a really helpful quality of life feature.

Square tiles look awful even in ASCII mode. And when you're using tiles, everything's in profile, which looks a ton more natural with rectangular tiles. Square tiles would require everyone to have awful posture if they wanted to fit properly.

Anyway, I expect they're re-using existing tiles where possible, so it's too late now.