Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Farchanter posted:

If this is the wrong thread I'm really sorry,.

I got an Intel Edison for Christmas, but I'm not really sure how to even get started with it. Is there a tutorial to learn about it from the ground up?

Thanks!

Intel has decent documentation.

Also, you'd probably have better luck in the DIY/hobbies forum. The Edison isn't exactly an Arduino, but it's close enough in intended purpose that you can probably find some help in the Arduino thread. And there's the basic electronics thread, which is a bit more low-level than tiny computers but will probably come in handy if you want to use all that connectivity Intel packed in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Pilchenstein posted:

I'm not sure if this is the right thread to be asking in but I've got a spare monitor that I was wanting to connect as a second screen and only one of the dvi ports on my gfx card supports analog. Can I stick one of these in the hdmi port and have it work fine?
That looks like it would work, the spec sheet seems to indicate it's an Active adapter with a built-in DAC (Digital to Analog Converter) but it doesn't actually SAY that anywhere so I would be a bit cautious. A cheap pin adapter without a DAC built-in would not work.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Farchanter posted:

If this is the wrong thread I'm really sorry,.

I got an Intel Edison for Christmas, but I'm not really sure how to even get started with it. Is there a tutorial to learn about it from the ground up?

Thanks!

In addition to what others posted, I'm pretty sure there's stuff on Youtube that, at the very least could give you some ideas on what you could do with it.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Alereon posted:

That looks like it would work, the spec sheet seems to indicate it's an Active adapter with a built-in DAC (Digital to Analog Converter) but it doesn't actually SAY that anywhere so I would be a bit cautious. A cheap pin adapter without a DAC built-in would not work.
Ok, now that I know what to ask I can phone the company tomorrow. Thanks again mate.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Illegal Carrot posted:

So the other day I decided to do the extremely smart thing of spilling water all over my tower, and I think some got on my GPU. Right now I have the thing unseated and it's been sitting in front of a fan for about 48 hours now, but I'm wondering how long I should leave it to dry before plugging it back in, and what else I can do to prevent this thing from sparking up s soon as I turn it on.

I know it's not popular to tell people exactly what cases to get, but this is why I'll never have a case with a top exhaust or any top open vents. I rarely ever spill anything (I used my case as a place to rest my beer on for a couple of years), but it just seems like an absolutely pointless risk. That includes all of those rotated Silverstone cases. When I had an Antec P182, that had an exhaust cowl, but I even gaffer taped over the top of that so it wasn't exposed.

As for actual advice, it's hard to say if everything is going to be totally dry, but definitely leaving things in front of a large fan for some time is a decent idea. The longer you can leave it, the better, of course. Hey, if there's no water left, there's not much else that seems to be possible. Good luck.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Jan 28, 2015

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

My brothers PC has been acting funky, shutting down and freezing during downloads. I asked him to check smart and at least one of the drives is bad. How does the other one look? Is this a 'everything hosed, backup immediately situation?

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
If CrystalDiskInfo says caution, it's time to go drive shoppin'.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

I figure the second disk is screwed, but does the first look ok?

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

I figure the second disk is screwed, but does the first look ok?

It looks OK, but failures don't always give you a nice SMART warning beforehand. It's always smart to back up any data you care about.

If you're seeing random shutdowns, that's probably not a hard drive thing, either. There could be multiple problems, or the Seagate might not be the root cause of the issue.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Thanks gang, I'll tell him to get a new drive

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I connected an mSATA 3 inch drive to a desktop's motherboard SATA to recover some files after somebody dropped my laptop. No trouble whatsoever (I guess the transfer was unusually slow but it's an old 5400rpm drive) until I'm in the middle of copying a 30 gig folder and the machine BSODs with a driver IRQL not less than or equal error. Then it refuses to post.

Fortunately it was still under warranty and my brother got on chat with a rep and restored the BIOS, so everything's fine now and I've ordered an mSATA USB enclosure to hook up the hard drive safely.

My question is: what the hell? Since when was it dangerous to hook up a laptop drive to a desktop's SATA ports? Why did the BIOS get corrupted?

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jan 28, 2015

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
Unusually slow transfer off a drop-damaged, old hard drive? That's pretty much every warning sign that the drive itself is failing. If the controller itself is damaged or does not know how to handle a particular corruption or failure condition, it can basically throw a wave of "I do not know what to do" through the system. A BSOD is not unexpected at all in that kind of situation. The BIOS getting confused to that degree... that is unexpected, but it's not impossible.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

I've had the inverse happen to me, a motherboard's dying SATA controller corrupted the firmware on one of my hard drives and caused another to write random bullshit to its SMART. The first one was basically bricked and the second is still working, but delegated to holding-unimportant-data-that's-already-on-a-backup-anyways duty.

I don't see why the other way around wouldn't be possible.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Factory Factory posted:

Unusually slow transfer off a drop-damaged, old hard drive? That's pretty much every warning sign that the drive itself is failing. If the controller itself is damaged or does not know how to handle a particular corruption or failure condition, it can basically throw a wave of "I do not know what to do" through the system. A BSOD is not unexpected at all in that kind of situation. The BIOS getting confused to that degree... that is unexpected, but it's not impossible.

Computer was off and the drop hit the power connector a good 6 inches away from the drive, I assumed the drive was not damaged. No Web forum can tell me whether it was or not I guess. My brother's theory was that the computer was trying to install divers for this new drive that showed up when the BSOD happened. Hope the drive isn't damaged. . My most recent backup was at the beginning of the month but I don't backup stuff like save games.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
Okay goons, help me make sure I'm not overlooking something before I pull the trigger on a new PSU:

i7 2600k
Asus xxxxxtreme or some crap mother board
3 HDD's
SSD
650w Antec PowerBlue PSU

Electricity went off at the house, computer wont' boot. Unplugged, held down power, plugged back in, wont' boot. Tore computer down basically to the motherboard, won't boot.

HOWEVER if I jumper the power supply to boot it that way, it comes on. I can plug it back into the board, and it will boot. If I power it down (in any capacity), it will not boot again.

PSU or the motherboard?

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Leaning towards system board on that one. If the power supply switches on when manually jumped and the system is stable the probability of the power supply being bad is quite low.

Have you tried manually shorting the power switch pins on the system board just to rule out the switch in your case?

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
It's this motherboard (Asus P67 Extreme6). I'm assuming the little power button in the lower corner (left on that picture) is the equivalent.

That's the thing though, once I get it to power on by shorting the PSU directly, it will power on the entire system. Not sure for how long, but it wont' let it power again after that. I have to short the PSU and then plug it into the board to power it.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
How are you shorting the PSU while the main ATX connector is plugged in?

Electrically, the power switch performs the same function as the shorting thing. If one works, the other should, too.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

Factory Factory posted:

How are you shorting the PSU while the main ATX connector is plugged in?

Electrically, the power switch performs the same function as the shorting thing. If one works, the other should, too.

I'm taking the connector out, shorting it, it fires up, then plugging it back in, pressing the "power button" and it fires up, shut it down, and nothing.

e: I'm on it now. Let's do a few reboots to see if I can figure out what the hell is going on.

And I can't get to replicate the issue. Going to post a Haus to see if anyone might be able to figure it out, but I think it's pointing motherboard at this point in time.

Gothmog1065 fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jan 29, 2015

Danger Man
Jun 29, 2004

Someone is Liable to Get Hurt

Factory Factory posted:

Intel NUC, add your own RAM and SSD.

Alereon posted:

This, a Core i5 NUC is an AMAZING little machine with good RAM and an SSD (you need to buy a WiFi card for Haswell NUCs but it's included on Broadwell models I believe). Note that the NUC knock-off machines from companies like Gigabyte and Zotac tend to be garbage. The lower-end NUCs with Core i3 or slower processors aren't really going to be mistaken for a real computer in the way you can an i5+ NUC.

Thanks! Looks like a great option. It will turn out a little expensive though, but I can't get myself to buy the i3 version either.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Honestly it depends on what you're doing with it. I have a celeron NUC running Windows 8.1 as a HTPC and the only time you really notice the CPU's shortcomings is when you jog ahead substantially in a network streamed HD video. If you're just using it for light desktop use you probably wouldn't notice the i3.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Danger Man posted:

Thanks! Looks like a great option. It will turn out a little expensive though, but I can't get myself to buy the i3 version either.
I built an Intel NUC D4250WYKH (Core i5 4250U, 2.5" HDD support) for my mom with 8GB of G.Skill RAM and a 250GB Samsung 840 EVO, it worked out great. Bumping up from the i3 4010U version takes you from 1.7Ghz to 2.3Ghz(1.3+1.0) on the CPU, and from HD 4400 to HD 5000 on the graphics side. In my opinion Turbo is extremely important for performance on low-power CPUs like this, and the CPU will sit around max turbo for a as long as you want without the fan spinning up to annoying levels. If you get the i5 version you can also overclock it a bit :) With a good SSD, RAM, and WiFi card you'll be CPU limited all the time, and the i3 4250U offers a much higher performance ceiling.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur
Last pc perspective talks about the 840 evo post-patch and says that it might still have some small issues maybe https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIyjLSsGxZ0&t=3230s

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Why are some USB HUBS powered, and others unpowered? Is the safe bet to just get a powered hub? Also is there a relatively large USB hub goons recommend?

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

It is all about the amps, if you want to plug an iPad, iPhone, and webcam into a hub you are going to need external power because the host will not be able to supply enough.

Also, financials, unpowered hubs are by definition cheaper.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Knifegrab posted:

is there a relatively large USB hub goons recommend?
Not really, no.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
If you need a lot of ports, something like this would be good:
http://www.amazon.com/Charging-Adap...rds=usb+3.0+hub

It's certainly overkill for most purposes though.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Is there any kind of gadget that will turn a wired USB peripheral into a wireless USB peripheral? So:

[ PC USB PORT ] -> USB Cable -> [ Gizmo ] ~ ~ ~ Wireless ~ ~ ~ [ Gizmo other end ] <- USB Cable <- [ USB Peripheral ]

Let's just say for argument's sake that I'm not interested in buying a new wireless keyboard and I'd like to use my expensive USB wired keyboard "wirelessly", for example. Actually, this example is exactly what my scenario is. I have a nice expensive mechanical keyboard and my PC is inconveniently far from my desk, to the point where I managed to stretch an HDMI cable but any other cables I pull can't really be hidden well. I have a wireless mouse and that's fine, but if I wanted to convert my wired keyboard to wireless am I completely SOL? Since this is a keyboard I don't need it to be high bitrate or anything.

Google searching "USB wireless" is pretty useless for exactly the reason you think it might be.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Martytoof posted:

Is there any kind of gadget that will turn a wired USB peripheral into a wireless USB peripheral? So:

[ PC USB PORT ] -> USB Cable -> [ Gizmo ] ~ ~ ~ Wireless ~ ~ ~ [ Gizmo other end ] <- USB Cable <- [ USB Peripheral ]

Let's just say for argument's sake that I'm not interested in buying a new wireless keyboard and I'd like to use my expensive USB wired keyboard "wirelessly", for example. Actually, this example is exactly what my scenario is. I have a nice expensive mechanical keyboard and my PC is inconveniently far from my desk, to the point where I managed to stretch an HDMI cable but any other cables I pull can't really be hidden well. I have a wireless mouse and that's fine, but if I wanted to convert my wired keyboard to wireless am I completely SOL? Since this is a keyboard I don't need it to be high bitrate or anything.

Google searching "USB wireless" is pretty useless for exactly the reason you think it might be.

These devices existt: http://www.portset.co.uk/usb-to-bluetooth-converter/

Of course, they cost a good deal because they're low-volume devices primarily produced for special needs environments. They do support standard USB keyboards and mice though, as well as coming with a built in battery pack to handle the bluetooth radio.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Martytoof posted:

This exists as a standard and is called "Wireless USB", good loving lucking finding anything relevant via searches though as you've found. Here's an example of what you're looking for, it's $210 though, and sucks.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Martytoof posted:

Don't know how good they are, but I saw this on Massdrop and it sounds like what you're describing.

http://handheldsci.com/kb

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Thanks guys. That $60 thing is just in the range of what I'm willing to pay to try something out for a laugh to boot. Much appreciated!

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

I need a really minor backup solution to store some somewhat sensitive legal and financial documents that I am digitizing. I keep them on my Google Drive account (is this my first mistake? It has 2FA and a strong, strong password) but I would like a local backup that I update weekly or so.

Mostly protection against cryptolocker-esque bullshit, so I'm guessing I'm best off with a wired drive that I plug in only when I'm updating it? Or are there network devices that I can use? I'd also like it to easily support some sort of encryption in case it gets lifted in a burglary.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

IuniusBrutus posted:

I need a really minor backup solution to store some somewhat sensitive legal and financial documents that I am digitizing. I keep them on my Google Drive account (is this my first mistake? It has 2FA and a strong, strong password) but I would like a local backup that I update weekly or so.

Mostly protection against cryptolocker-esque bullshit, so I'm guessing I'm best off with a wired drive that I plug in only when I'm updating it? Or are there network devices that I can use? I'd also like it to easily support some sort of encryption in case it gets lifted in a burglary.

Bitlocker a USB drive keep it on your keychain make a recurring google Calendar reminder to back it up like once a week.

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!

IuniusBrutus posted:

Crashplan. It does local drive copy, remote copy over LAN or internet, cloud copy, all encrypted. Totally free if you don't use their cloud storage. Works fine with local removable devices.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Another alternative, SpiderOak. It's like DropBox, but with zero-knowledge encryption so the company cannot recover your files even in principle. There's a referral chain thread somewhere in this forum, too, for a little extra free space.

I don't know if it has 2FA though.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

So I've been having some NUC woes; I've built two NUCs for work mine is the i5 version with 4GB of RAM and an SSD, the second is the cheaper i3 one (D34010WYKH) with 4GB of RAM and a laptop drive. The first one is working swimmingly but this second one isn't displaying video. I've got a mini-DP adapter and an HDMI cable going, and I'm trying several different monitors but I'm not getting any output. The light on the top of the unit is a constant blue so it's not a RAM issue. I'm at a loss as to what to try, I have a HDMI/mini-HDMI cable at work I'm hoping will do the trick but I don't have access to it right now.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
The PSU in my current system is now five years old so I was thinking about replacing it but it's a Corsair HX650 and it has a seven year warranty. I was going to just replace it but that would mean having to rewire my computer or at least get another HX650 and swap it out. It's currently powering a 2500K@4.2GHz, a single GTX660Ti, two hard drives and a SSD drive so I'm not taxing too much while gaming am I? Should I even be worried about it and if the Power Supply does indeed fail at some point will it take the rest of my system with it or is there a fail-safe built into it to prevent that from happening?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

spasticColon posted:

The PSU in my current system is now five years old so I was thinking about replacing it but it's a Corsair HX650 and it has a seven year warranty. I was going to just replace it but that would mean having to rewire my computer or at least get another HX650 and swap it out. It's currently powering a 2500K@4.2GHz, a single GTX660Ti, two hard drives and a SSD drive so I'm not taxing too much while gaming am I? Should I even be worried about it and if the Power Supply does indeed fail at some point will it take the rest of my system with it or is there a fail-safe built into it to prevent that from happening?

Use power supplies until the end of the warranty or for 5 years, whichever comes later. I'd keep it until you hit 7 years if it's not giving you any trouble. At that point buy something nice and efficient; whatever the parts picking thread is recommending at the time. Redoing the power wires in a case is a pain but it doesn't take too long compared to how long they last, but I'd still put it off for a while.

Power supply failures can be graceful or they can be catastrophic, I've seen both. Most of the graceful ones I've seen have been bad PSUs that gradually went from working to barely booting up and then not booting up, and the catastrophic ones have been hit by surges (the worst was motherboard, cpu, PSU and ram all dead at once). That's just my general experience though and bad PSUs can absolutely kill everything they're hooked up to and surges can be graceful, there's just too many variables to be definitive.

e: one time I looked at a PC that someone with anger issues had punched the top of. Everything was dead including the drives so I have no idea what he did but it probably shorted a bunch of poo poo out at once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

spasticColon posted:

Since that's a good, efficient power supply I wouldn't replace it if you aren't having problems. If it was lower quality, lower efficiency, or more heavily loaded then replacing it might make sense.