Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

drat I didn't know she does that in the Chaos route. Only ever did Neutral.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

She does get to finish her manga though if you go looking around!

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Cleretic posted:

I can't speak for Law (except that Jonathan gets hosed over pretty hard by them too), but Neutral is a lot stronger and a lot more optimistic. It also, I believe, explains a lot more about the actual events of the game.

The Law ending in SMT4 is as bad as it's been in any game since SMT2.

You destroy Tokyo and yourself along with it, keeping Mikado and its people isolated from the rest of the world forever.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

drat I didn't know she does that in the Chaos route. Only ever did Neutral.

same

the neutral ending was good but it was kinda bland and other than the end events i don't really remember anything memorable from the path to neutrality. i did get that quasi-airship thing at some point that was cool

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

hubris.height posted:

same

the neutral ending was good but it was kinda bland and other than the end events i don't really remember anything memorable from the path to neutrality. i did get that quasi-airship thing at some point that was cool

Crushing Heaven and Hell is cool

Also getting everyone to love you and progressively bringing hope to post-apocalyptic Tokyo

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
yes there are some memorable parts, you are right. but there's nothing with the kind of gravity of 'your friend slits her throat in an attempt to wrest power from the greater powers of chaos and law' though. you do murder your besties to stop them from becoming overlords of two different kinds of hell, i guess. also, slay heaven and hell is a trope of neutral in all megaten

the best part of that was wandering through chaos tokyo and seeing what the world is like after strange journey chaos ending and also the it seemed really snes smt to me.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

SMT4 does not have a very good story.

Isabeau might as well not even be in the game for all she ever does in the plot.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Manatee Cannon posted:

SMT4 does not have a very good story.

Isabeau might as well not even be in the game for all she ever does in the plot.

As far as I can tell, that's sort of her entire character's point. While everyone else is siding with horrible forces, she's remaining neutral not because she wants to, but because she's so wishy-washy and without conviction that she can't make the decision herself, preferring to instead wish pointlessly that there were 'some other way' (without having the conviction to actually look for it). She's largely ineffectual to the plot because she can't bring herself to take a stance strong enough to affect things.

After the alignment point, that does reach a head in the Law and Chaos paths. You finally go beyond the pale and take a side she can't agree with, and without the guy she keeps leaning on to make the hard choices for her, she gets a bit extreme in her desperate attempt to make you see your mistakes. She never gets a defining moment like that in the Neutral path, though, despite being there for all of it, so it just comes off weird.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
I'd say Isabeau is a bad character because of that. They never imply any hint of defiance like ever, so it makes the final moment with her kind of cool in concept but super flat. No build up at all.

And she doesn't do poo poo in the neutral route either.

They should have made the biker Hunter chick with the shotgun the Neutral girl. Or at least given her her own character art she has like 5 side quests to herself!

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Excels posted:

But they still refer to P3 MC vaguely as "... him"
It's like the start of Ace Ventura 2.
- He bends over and talks from his rear.
- Oh, him!

Does the P3 MC have any defining trait like that?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Running around with his hands in his pockets.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Excellent at closing doors.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Starts doing calf stretches if left alone for more than 30 seconds (my favorite part of his idle animation. Gotta stay loose bro!)

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Oh, I remembered. Sometimes he feels better after flushing.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

SelenicMartian posted:

It's like the start of Ace Ventura 2.
- He bends over and talks from his rear.
- Oh, him!

If you pick Yu in PQ he's just described as "a boy with earphones". So if you want you can assume he never ever takes them off what with the P3 OST being his playlist. I guess that makes up for a character trait?

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

SelenicMartian posted:

he eats excessively

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

The Machine posted:

What's the bet that SMTxFE is taking so long because they had to go back and add Persona characters, because of course they would do that, right? At this point, Persona is the most popular SMT thing.

Might as well make Persona x Pokemon. I want this so bad.

They already made Devil Children/Demikids.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

SelenicMartian posted:

He sits around a lovely Cafe drinking coffee to get the courage to pick a lovely girlfriend.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

he gets crunk with a monk

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Endorph posted:

he gets crunk with a monk

He also likes to hang around terminally ill people and/or depressed people and talk about how bad their poo poo is. Also children.

P3 Mc is a weird fucker.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

I'd say Isabeau is a bad character because of that. They never imply any hint of defiance like ever, so it makes the final moment with her kind of cool in concept but super flat. No build up at all.

And she doesn't do poo poo in the neutral route either.

They should have made the biker Hunter chick with the shotgun the Neutral girl. Or at least given her her own character art she has like 5 side quests to herself!

She actually fights Merkabah with you and is the one that verbally tears him apart. After you beat Merakbah she vanishes, but it's not like she does nothing for the rest of the game on the neutral route. By then she's firmly taken your stance and side and is willing to tear down heaven and hell with you to bring the Sun back to Tokyo. Like, Isabeau's not an amazing character, but she does have a character and I think a lot of people like to ignore that she does do stuff, because it's both not as obvious as it is with Walter and Jonathan and some people are dense.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

He also likes to hang around terminally ill people and/or depressed people and talk about how bad their poo poo is. Also children.

P3 Mc is a weird fucker.

where's that comic where the protagonist is just being an rear end in a top hat to everyone and drinking ridiculous amounts of coffee

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I dunno, the only coffee-related Persona comic I know is this one

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011

Beef Waifu posted:

She actually fights Merkabah with you and is the one that verbally tears him apart. After you beat Merakbah she vanishes, but it's not like she does nothing for the rest of the game on the neutral route. By then she's firmly taken your stance and side and is willing to tear down heaven and hell with you to bring the Sun back to Tokyo. Like, Isabeau's not an amazing character, but she does have a character and I think a lot of people like to ignore that she does do stuff, because it's both not as obvious as it is with Walter and Jonathan and some people are dense.

Her haircut is stupid

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
How dare you, her hair cut is adorable.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Excels posted:

where's that comic where the protagonist is just being an rear end in a top hat to everyone and drinking ridiculous amounts of coffee

gaaaaaay

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Agean90 posted:

gaaaaaay

thank you, this is what i wanted.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The Yukari panel of that is by far my favorite part. It speaks to me.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

HGH posted:

If you pick Yu in PQ he's just described as "a boy with earphones". So if you want you can assume he never ever takes them off what with the P3 OST being his playlist. I guess that makes up for a character trait?

Even better: It's "his specifity is that he doesn't have any notable caracteristics".

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Iceclaw posted:

Even better: It's "his specifity is that he doesn't have any notable caracteristics".

wish girls were into that irl

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Must be the headphones.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Nate RFB posted:

The Yukari panel of that is by far my favorite part. It speaks to me.
stop posting

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Endorph posted:

stop posting

shhhhh no one cares

monk panel actually the best tho.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

im going to be honest here: that comic is funny but the way people react to it is awful

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Zoness posted:

monk panel actually the best tho.

yeah agreed

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I care, Yukari.

I care.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I care, Yukari.

I care.

I thought journey yukari was okay but answer yukari came off really annoying tbh.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

she was just trying to get into college and put all the death behind her man

she cant be doin with this poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Zoness posted:

I thought journey yukari was okay but answer yukari came off really annoying tbh.

Answer Yukari was the best, actually.