Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

infernal machines posted:

members of this thread have been part of bitcoin's most historic moments since before its popular adoption, they've also posted some of the most concise and perceptive analysis of the technology and philosophy behind it. this is not sarcasm, i'm being 100% serious here.
:( some of us are still sad we weren't logged onto the stream when the phone was vibrated off the chair

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc
wagner, when the phone fell

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

no, i'm really being serious. just do the required reading first.

members of this thread have been part of bitcoin's most historic moments since before its popular adoption, they've also posted some of the most concise and perceptive analysis of the technology and philosophy behind it. this is not sarcasm, i'm being 100% serious here.

thanks i will

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

why would your first instinct, knowing nothing about the technology in the first place, be to run your own version of that technology?

like if I have no idea how to bake a cake, why would I start getting papers together to start my own bakery?

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

theflyingorc posted:

:( some of us are still sad we weren't logged onto the stream when the phone was vibrated off the chair

:(:hf::(

stupid school

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

theflyingorc posted:

the Thai boy, his arms wide

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

i just hate to make value judgements for people like that

let him read the thread and this history and heresiarch's guide and if he still feels it's worth while then he's ready to have yospos stamp his passport to bitcoin billionairedom

he just has to remember to pay upfront and always confirm early

we make the value judgments because the selling points of Bitcoin are a bunch of bologna.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

theflyingexecutive posted:

why would your first instinct, knowing nothing about the technology in the first place, be to run your own version of that technology?

like if I have no idea how to bake a cake, why would I start getting papers together to start my own bakery?

think about how this relates to the sort of people who genuinely believe in cryptocurrency and i think you may find your answer

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

we make the value judgments because the selling points of Bitcoin are a bunch of bologna.

it's like you're especially dense or something

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

wait if you're just learning about the technology by loving around with your own spin of litecoin then that's fine go nuts

if you think it's going to change the world or make you rich, lol, but these are different things

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
i found the yospos cryptocurrency tutorial video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPAZvxmLfcQ

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

As a Millennial I posted:

wait if you're just learning about the technology by loving around with your own spin of litecoin then that's fine go nuts

if you think it's going to change the world or make you rich, lol, but these are different things

he's planning to learn by putting his own american dollars into bitcoin and then buy into creating a nominally worthless currency that would otherwise be free to do

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

also connecting his irl bank account to a bitcoin exchange

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

if coin creator dot net only accepts bitcoin, well, then this is his first lesson in the uselessness of bitcoin as a convenient currency

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
still regret deleting my few hundred cpu mined coins from 2009 lol

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

also connecting his irl bank account to a bitcoin exchange

this may be his worst mistake and he has already made it

it's too late for him just like it was too late for rossulbricht@gmail.com and blakebenthall@gmail.com

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

theflyingorc posted:

atlas, his wiki ruined

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

it's like you're especially dense or something

no u

I read your post as criticizing "the thread" for delivering a value judgement when asked about buttcoins. I assume AI would deliver value judgments when asked how to attach a trailer hitch to a fiat 500.

he should absolutely read up on what a trainwreck cryptocurrency has been, but I'm still gonna spoil the ending they are garbage

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

0.075 btc is 20 bucks according to google

how much you wanna bet that price changes dynamically so even though it appears to be priced in btc, it's always $20

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Nintendo Kid posted:

still regret deleting my few hundred cpu mined coins from 2009 lol

i mean no jokes I would love to have left my computer on for a few days back in 2009 and gotten like 4,000 coins

i also would have liked to invest in Apple at it's lowest value and to have picked the winning lottery numbers

Rick Ross Ulbricht
Feb 3, 2010

put yourself in the shoes of a prosecutor trying to build a case against you. what evidence could they pin on you? there is nothing on your laptop for them to use, if you obscure your bitcoins propperly, there is no way for them to trace them back to me.
i was thinking about exactly that but then realized that odds are they would have just been lost in gox

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

theflyingorc posted:

:eyepop:

trap sprung , etc

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

everdave posted:

OK I get it, I give up. I have learned the error of my ways. Sorry to crap up the thread - seriously.

it's okay to be interested in a thing conceptually, just be forewarned that the existing bitcoin community is comically rife with scams and littered with the broken lives of the desperate.

if you want to create your own coin as a hobby, or as a toehold into broader computer development or whatever, that's fine. just don't let it become a mythical escape hatch from "finances".

early in the life of bitcoin the creator abandoned everything after warning people that it was a proof of concept and should not be taken as a ready-for-the-real-world system.

and that's the end of my sincerity for the week.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Rick Ross Ulbricht posted:

i was thinking about exactly that but then realized that odds are they would have just been lost in gox

I'm pretty sure I would have sold at either the spike to $10 or the spike to $40.

Which would still be nice, but, y'know.

i also seriously wonder at this point how many people really have profited big from early adoption. so many people have lost their keys or had all their coins in gox or had them stolen that I'm guess that at most a few hundred people have really truly made 1000% profit or greater

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

start by reading this thread from beginning to end, then read the previous six or so incarnations going back to 2010 or so.

can you link these? this thread has been some of the best reading on this forum in years and i need something else to marathon now that im caught up

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

Sweevo posted:

atlas, his wiki ruined

ver, held hostage in tokyo

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Penguissimo posted:

can you link these? this thread has been some of the best reading on this forum in years and i need something else to marathon now that im caught up

here's the past two the first one is where all the mtgox stuff happens iirc
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3606857
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3656238

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

you are a king among men

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

theflyingorc posted:

i mean no jokes I would love to have left my computer on for a few days back in 2009 and gotten like 4,000 coins

i also would have liked to invest in Apple at it's lowest value and to have picked the winning lottery numbers

yeah that stuff was cpu mined with a core duo laptop from 2006 lol. and when i deleted the stuff for being boring and making my computer slow the total was worth like 3 cents. i did use like 20 bitcoins fromt hat to get free shell access on some dude's server for 2 years though

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Edminster posted:

ver, held hostage in tokyo

theymos and cosby at bitcointalk

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

bill gates did an ama and got asked about butts again.

Rick Ross Ulbricht
Feb 3, 2010

put yourself in the shoes of a prosecutor trying to build a case against you. what evidence could they pin on you? there is nothing on your laptop for them to use, if you obscure your bitcoins propperly, there is no way for them to trace them back to me.
did any trial happenings happen today or was the courthouse still shut down?

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

like food and water, my posting has no intrinsic value

mt gox, the price high.

mt gox, the price low.

mt gox, the price gone.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

They got around to the evidence! :woop:

quote:

Sarah Jeong
‏@sarahjeong
And the saddest diary entry in the world: "Got covered with poison oak trying to get a piece of trash out of a tree" #SilkRoadTrial

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Rick Ross Ulbricht posted:

did any trial happenings happen today or was the courthouse still shut down?

no there was stuff happening, most of the reporting itt comes after mark buys the transcripts though

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

theflyingexecutive posted:

no there was stuff happening, most of the reporting itt comes after mark buys the transcripts though

i still can't believe that's true

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

like food and water, my posting has no intrinsic value

what if mark is sending out fake transcripts to frame ross?

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

TVarmy posted:

what do you mean 'what if'

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

TVarmy posted:

he's got an inside man on the jury too

:ssh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
what if there really isn't a trial and it's all just a long con by mark

• Locked thread