Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Rastor posted:

To fully expand with a single pull, use two fingers.

My God...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Rastor posted:

To fully expand with a single pull, use two fingers.
Or drag once and then tap the top bar (which is the exact same steps as was required on KitKat except back then you had to hit a specific icon with the tap).

Edit: Two finger drag also work on KitKat. It's basically identical to the old one.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

ninmeister posted:

Ha, because of your post I just checked my email. Invited as well.

The survey specifically mentioned VoLTE/Advanced Calling so I'm wondering if this isn't just bugfixes. I know I personally get the 1-2 second silence when I call people bug.

Hopefully not, Lollipop looks pretty neat.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Tunga posted:

Or drag once and then tap the top bar (which is the exact same steps as was required on KitKat except back then you had to hit a specific icon with the tap).

Edit: Two finger drag also work on KitKat. It's basically identical to the old one.

I had a single pull for quick settings since CM or Stock+xposed. If I don't have notifications, i want to have quick settings that's why I pointed KK+xposed (gravity box). It's better for single hand when you're doing something else.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

this_is_hard posted:

I know I personally get the 1-2 second silence when I call people bug.

Oh, so this is a "thing" other people are seeing? Good, I thought it was just me.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Guillermus posted:

I had a single pull for quick settings since CM or Stock+xposed. If I don't have notifications, i want to have quick settings that's why I pointed KK+xposed (gravity box). It's better for single hand when you're doing something else.
Triple tap system bar also works. Or drag + tap as mentioned.

I know you'll say this is still not as good as your old hacked version or whatever but I don't really have any issues using it one handed. How often do you even need quick settings?

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family

ThermoPhysical posted:

Still looking to replace my Nexus 4 and I have a question to those with the Moto X 2014. Is the lack of OIS a big deal with it? I may pick one up this February if I don't go with my original plan of a Nexus 5.

The camera is a big deal to me and I'd like a decent one, but I don't want a Note 4 or anything like that. I'm assuming that with the upgrades to Android via Kit Kat and the upcoming (maybe) RAW stuff that the 5 can do, that it is the better camera.

If you care about the camera you'll probably want to avoid the X or at least really look into some sample shots from one. It's not a bad camera and probably better than the Nexus 4, but it won't wow anyone.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Thanks for the info about pull + tap; I didn't know that, and it's certainly easier than either trying to get two fingers up there (impossible one-handed) or swiping twice (my poor thumb joint!).

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I've said before several times in this thread that I don't really care about the camera of my phone. They all seem good enough to me for the vast majority of purposes

However, my wife talked me into getting a nice camera (Sony a5100 if you care) and I took it on vacation with us this month. I still feel the same, except for one thing. A nice camera makes it easier to get a good enough picture in a wider variety of circumstances...like low light and fast motion.

I don't use enough devices to know if going from a mediocre camera like my 2013 Moto X to a really nice phone camera is enough of an improvement to negate those advantages. I mean, I can't imagine an iPhone or Note 4 camera is as good as a nice real camera in these difficult situations, but maybe they're good enough.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Thermopyle posted:

However, my wife talked me into getting a nice camera (Sony a5100 if you care) and I took it on vacation with us this month. I still feel the same, except for one thing. A nice camera makes it easier to get a good enough picture in a wider variety of circumstances...like low light and fast motion.

I don't use enough devices to know if going from a mediocre camera like my 2013 Moto X to a really nice phone camera is enough of an improvement to negate those advantages. I mean, I can't imagine an iPhone or Note 4 camera is as good as a nice real camera in these difficult situations, but maybe they're good enough.

That's what I've always said - it's not about getting prosumer-quality shots with your phone, it's about being able to just whip it out whenever and wherever, hit the button and get a decent shot without worrying about it. And low light/action situations are exactly the kind of time you'll think 'I wouldn't mind a pic of this' and reach for the camera you always have with you, not the proper one that's at home because you weren't hauling gear around for a photo session.

Newer phones with 'great cameras' seem pretty good at taking indoor shots that aren't blurry with motion, night shots with sharp detail, and pics from parties and restaurants that look natural and vibrant instead of dark or flashlit like you're mounting a SWAT raid. That's the kind of improvement I want to see, making them all-round solid performers instead of worrying about how sharp a perfectly lit scene looks at 100% zoom

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
The micro USB port on my HTC One M7 started dying this week, and now will only charge with certain cables. And even then, it is jiggly and often loses/finds the power. I started catching up on the Sony Z4 release rumors in anticipation of March's MWC and it looks like the Z4 has been pushed back to summer, and the Z4 Compact to fall.

Z3 here I come, I guess. I was hoping to hold out for the next cycle, but I'm not gonna make it.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
I got a problem with smart lock and trusted locations. It forgets the location if I use my home address from google maps settings. It works for a bit then it stops, I go back to smart lock settings and it shows as the location is turned off. I added a custom places for the address next door to my house and it works great, never forgets it and don't have to turn it back on. Why?

My bluetooth trusted devices always work fine. Only the google maps location used for trusted places has a problem. Anyone else seen this?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

r0ck0 posted:

I got a problem with smart lock and trusted locations. It forgets the location if I use my home address from google maps settings. It works for a bit then it stops, I go back to smart lock settings and it shows as the location is turned off. I added a custom places for the address next door to my house and it works great, never forgets it and don't have to turn it back on. Why?

My bluetooth trusted devices always work fine. Only the google maps location used for trusted places has a problem. Anyone else seen this?

I couldn't even add my home address from google maps settings. I put it in manually and it seems to be working fine in conjunction with my trusted devices.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

evleaks leaked a promotional photo of the HTC One M9 (far right.)

I haven't been following it too much, but I believe they're releasing two models, e.g. HTC One & One Max. Looks really nice. Full glass front, speaker holes replaced with Nexus 9-style slits at the top and bottom. Power button relocated to the right side, beneath the volume rocker! Hardware button on the larger version may or may not be a thumbprint reader. I'll stick with the smaller one, thanks.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
Is the Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini (dual sim) any good?

My girlfriend has a certain amount of credit on Groupon to be used for SOMETHING; otherwise it will expire. She can't find anything on it that she wants/needs, but they are selling a Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini Dual Sim (link at bottom of post), model # I9192, for pretty much the exact price for the credit she has. I currently have a lovely 4 year old Samsung Google Nexus S or whatever it is called - model i9023. I won't otherwise have the money to replace it for a good long while.

I'm looking to use the phone for a mix of lifestyle and business - You Need A Budget, Anki flashcards, timetracking for freelancing and general organisational stuff. I don't want a huge or fancy phone but I'd like it to be competent and reliable. Is this phone an unmitigated disaster? Is it going to run like crap and fall apart? Otherwise we'll use the money on a mix of restaurants and other random junk. Are there particular problems with the dual sim version? I can't find anything bad in google except that the dual sim is standby mode, not active, but since I'd only be using one sim anyway it doesn't seem like such a big deal to me. I know it doesn't have 4g like the i1915, but my girlfriend already has that phone and says she never gets 4g where we live anyway.

Here's the link:

http://www.groupon.it/deals/deal-nazionale/gg-td-store-1/54485947

Are there any reasons not to get this particular, given that otherwise I'd need to pay out of pocket? I don't need a response immediately, we need to wait for the credit to clear, but that's what we're looking at. Thanks.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

My girlfriend has a certain amount of credit on Groupon to be used for SOMETHING; otherwise it will expire. She can't find anything on it that she wants/needs, but they are selling a Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini Dual Sim (link at bottom of post), model # I9192, for pretty much the exact price for the credit she has. I currently have a lovely 4 year old Samsung Google Nexus S or whatever it is called - model i9023. I won't otherwise have the money to replace it for a good long while.

I'm looking to use the phone for a mix of lifestyle and business - You Need A Budget, Anki flashcards, timetracking for freelancing and general organisational stuff. I don't want a huge or fancy phone but I'd like it to be competent and reliable. Is this phone an unmitigated disaster? Is it going to run like crap and fall apart? Otherwise we'll use the money on a mix of restaurants and other random junk. Are there particular problems with the dual sim version? I can't find anything bad in google except that the dual sim is standby mode, not active, but since I'd only be using one sim anyway it doesn't seem like such a big deal to me. I know it doesn't have 4g like the i1915, but my girlfriend already has that phone and says she never gets 4g where we live anyway.

Here's the link:

http://www.groupon.it/deals/deal-nazionale/gg-td-store-1/54485947

Are there any reasons not to get this particular, given that otherwise I'd need to pay out of pocket? I don't need a response immediately, we need to wait for the credit to clear, but that's what we're looking at. Thanks.

No this is a bad idea. Get a Moto G instead.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

enojy posted:

evleaks leaked a promotional photo of the HTC One M9 (far right.)

I haven't been following it too much, but I believe they're releasing two models, e.g. HTC One & One Max. Looks really nice. Full glass front, speaker holes replaced with Nexus 9-style slits at the top and bottom. Power button relocated to the right side, beneath the volume rocker! Hardware button on the larger version may or may not be a thumbprint reader. I'll stick with the smaller one, thanks.

I think the M9 looks really nice. I moved from the M7 to the Nexus 5 and don't regret it or anything but the One is such a good phone.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

FistEnergy posted:

I started catching up on the Sony Z4 release rumors in anticipation of March's MWC and it looks like the Z4 has been pushed back to summer, and the Z4 Compact to fall.
Source? This would make me sad.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

ilkhan posted:

Source? This would make me sad.

It's been spreading around today but not confirmed:

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Sony-Xperia-Z4-might-be-announced-in-the-summer-not-at-MWC-2015_id65239

http://au.ibtimes.com/sony-xperia-z4-release-date-changed-sony-skip-mwc-2015-unveil-z4-summer-instead-reports-1415449

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I love my HTC One M8 but they need to give up on these stupid cameras they are putting in them. Just get a good camera already, don't do anything gimmicky.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

FogHelmut posted:

So have there been any new announcements on when the 2013 Moto X is getting 5.0? Or is 5.0 a piece of garbage that is ruining old phones?

Well 5.0 choked the life out of my G so I'm hoping they never push out 5.0 for the 2013 X as clicking NO on the update notification on my X is going to get really old really fast.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

awesome-express posted:

So is it possible to install the default version of Android L on a OnePlus 1?
No.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING

nimper posted:

No this is a bad idea. Get a Moto G instead.

Really? I've heard good things about the Moto G, but is the S4 mini seriously that bad? The toss-up is:

S4 mini dual-sim (valued at 200 E on Groupon.. only other phones are iphones, which I refuse to buy, and a Samsung Galaxy Alpha SM G850 which would cost me 200E credit plus 200E more)

or

We use the 200 E credit to buy random junk like a portable hard drive, lovely restaurant vouchers etc, and then I cough up 160 E out of pocket to pay for a Moto G at some point

Is random junk really better than a free(ish) S4 mini? I don't mean that sarcastically I'm just surprised. My girlfriend has the 4g version and it doesn't seem too bad.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

So your budget is €0 and your only choices are whatever is on the Groupon Italy site for €200 or less? That's pretty tough. I guess the Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini is kind of OK for €0... kind of...

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

Really? I've heard good things about the Moto G, but is the S4 mini seriously that bad? The toss-up is:

S4 mini dual-sim (valued at 200 E on Groupon.. only other phones are iphones, which I refuse to buy, and a Samsung Galaxy Alpha SM G850 which would cost me 200E credit plus 200E more)

or

We use the 200 E credit to buy random junk like a portable hard drive, lovely restaurant vouchers etc, and then I cough up 160 E out of pocket to pay for a Moto G at some point

Is random junk really better than a free(ish) S4 mini? I don't mean that sarcastically I'm just surprised. My girlfriend has the 4g version and it doesn't seem too bad.
Groupon deals come and go, when does the credit expire?

The Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini is running Android 4.2 and unlikely to get any updates; it's an underpowered, outdated phone the day it comes fresh out of the box.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Cojawfee posted:

I love my HTC One M8 but they need to give up on these stupid cameras they are putting in them. Just get a good camera already, don't do anything gimmicky.

I'm hoping this is the case with the M9. Rumors suggest a 20.7MP rear camera, which should be a huge improvement, but numbers are just one piece of it.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

or

I would buy random stuff with it and buy the Moto G out of pocket, yes. The Galaxy S4 Mini was bad when it came out and hasn't gotten any better, while the G is legitimately good compared to similarly priced phones.

E: I would also consider buying the S4 Mini, selling it, and buying a Moto G. Obviously depends on what you'd be able to sell it for and what alternative stuff you could buy on Groupon.

sourdough fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jan 28, 2015

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
The S4 Mini is basically a Galaxy S3 in a smaller package so you're looking at a phone that was great in 2012 but terrible now. Get a Moto G or a Droid Mini or something.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Tunga posted:

Triple tap system bar also works. Or drag + tap as mentioned.

I know you'll say this is still not as good as your old hacked version or whatever but I don't really have any issues using it one handed. How often do you even need quick settings?

Every morning I need (while waking up thus sleepy) the flashlight because I don't want to disturb my wife. I turn ubication on/off a bunch of times when going to work, disabling it while working (is close to a bunker so it only drains battery), while running... etc. I like to lock/unlock rotation etc. At the other hand I loving love how notifications work when the screen is locked so I just deal with it and wait for the day the xposed guy brings up an ART compatible version.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
I've got a Moto G, stock KK. On Monday I was using it as a hotspot for a few hours in the car. It worked well enough for light, single passenger Netflix use. Yesterday I noticed that the WiFi was off. And it won't turn on. I've rebooted and safe booted to no avail. Did it get fried?

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Google Now has for some reason decided I work at a location I stopped at a red light beside yesterday. I can't seem to figure out how to make it stop giving me travel info to this intersection since its not even part of my daily route.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Manky posted:

I've got a Moto G, stock KK. On Monday I was using it as a hotspot for a few hours in the car. It worked well enough for light, single passenger Netflix use. Yesterday I noticed that the WiFi was off. And it won't turn on. I've rebooted and safe booted to no avail. Did it get fried?
No, I think I know the problem and the fix but I'm nearly positive it can't be done without root. What you need to do is delete (or move or rename) the file /data/misc/wpa_supplicant.conf and reboot. The file will be recreated on boot and your remembered networks will be gone.

This is a KitKat bug that is fixed on Lollipop that's triggered by using the hotspot. There isn't a fix besides either destroying that corrupted file or a full reset if you aren't rooted.

Variable_H posted:

Google Now has for some reason decided I work at a location I stopped at a red light beside yesterday. I can't seem to figure out how to make it stop giving me travel info to this intersection since its not even part of my daily route.
Google is telling you to work the corner. Watch out for Omar and the 5-0.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

LastInLine posted:

Google is telling you to work the corner. Watch out for Omar and the 5-0.

I think Omar might be coming :ohdear:

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
It's finally time to replace my Galaxy Nexus that I've been using as my primary phone since it was first released on Verizon. Hooray! :toot:

In a perfect world, I'd grab a Sony Z3C and be on my marry way. I like the ~4.7" screen form factor (I have small hands :hf:), great battery for it's size and flagship-esq specs. The water proofing & decent camera are nice bonuses as well. Unfortunately, I live in a Verizon world, and I don't think I can justify leaving for a few phone features. The good news is I have an upgrade available, so I can get a big discount on a phone if I buy through Verizon.

I've been considering these options:
  • Moto X 2013 (~$230, save upgrade)
  • Moto X 2014 ($0, with upgrade)
  • Droid Turbo ($200 or $250, with upgrade)
The 2013 X would be perfect size wise, but I'm wary of the battery life and 1.5 year old specs. I really like the idea of a battery that will have no issue lasting all day/night, and it doesn't sound like the 2013 X has this. Also, as you may have gathered from the fact that I'm still using a GN, I'm not the sort of person that likes to upgrade my phone often. I'm worried that if I go with an older phone like the 2013 X, I'll find my self wanting to upgrade again much sooner than if I go with a newer phone like the 2014 X or Turbo. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem much else worthy of consideration in the ~4.7" form factor on Verizon.

My biggest worry with the 2014 X and Turbo is size. I went in to a store this past weekend to try out both phones. They were a bit unwieldy for me, but I was able to use them with one hand with some struggle. It's probably something I'd get used to after a few weeks. One issue I had was while swiping 1 handed with my left hand (I phone with my left hand a lot even though I'm right handed), the muscle below my thumb would occasionally hit the 123/ABC toggle button causing my swipe to get interrupted. That could be a deal breaker if I'm not able to adjust my technique to avoid. I'm thinking this may not be an issue with a Diztronic case on the phone, as that muscle would instead rest on the lip of the case, rather than directly on the screen/bezel. It was hard to make any definite decisions about the size due to the security lock on the back of the phones making them awkward to handle, regardless of size.

As far as the 2014 X vs Turbo goes, I'm leaning toward the Turbo. The slightly increased dimensions of the Turbo did not make a noticeable difference. The significantly larger battery on the turbo is a major appeal. The Turbos were also much snappier than the 2014 X (the X was on 5.0...memory leak issues?).

Right now I'm debating between getting the 2013 X and saving my upgrade until Verizon gets another worthy ~4.7" phone (maybe they'll get the Z4C, or the 4.7" X will get updated within a year or so?) OR giving the Turbo a shot now and returning it if I can't get used to the size within 14 days (would I get my upgrade back if I return the phone?).

Android thread goons, what should I do?

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
For what it's worth the specs on the X are only a concern if you are really sensitive to a tiny bit of jank in certain situations. Otherwise the device flies.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Variable_H posted:

This happened to me, I picked up my wife downtown a few times and it decided my commute was five times as long, in a loop over two parallel bridges. Apparently resetting the data is the only way to fix it.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

Guillermus posted:

Every morning I need (while waking up thus sleepy) the flashlight because I don't want to disturb my wife. I turn ubication on/off a bunch of times when going to work, disabling it while working (is close to a bunker so it only drains battery), while running... etc. I like to lock/unlock rotation etc. At the other hand I loving love how notifications work when the screen is locked so I just deal with it and wait for the day the xposed guy brings up an ART compatible version.

Get llama or tasker instead and automate some of that.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

Splinter posted:

It's finally time to replace my Galaxy Nexus that I've been using as my primary phone since it was first released on Verizon. Hooray! :toot:

In a perfect world, I'd grab a Sony Z3C and be on my marry way. I like the ~4.7" screen form factor (I have small hands :hf:), great battery for it's size and flagship-esq specs. The water proofing & decent camera are nice bonuses as well. Unfortunately, I live in a Verizon world, and I don't think I can justify leaving for a few phone features. The good news is I have an upgrade available, so I can get a big discount on a phone if I buy through Verizon.

I've been considering these options:
  • Moto X 2013 (~$230, save upgrade)
  • Moto X 2014 ($0, with upgrade)
  • Droid Turbo ($200 or $250, with upgrade)
The 2013 X would be perfect size wise, but I'm wary of the battery life and 1.5 year old specs. I really like the idea of a battery that will have no issue lasting all day/night, and it doesn't sound like the 2013 X has this. Also, as you may have gathered from the fact that I'm still using a GN, I'm not the sort of person that likes to upgrade my phone often. I'm worried that if I go with an older phone like the 2013 X, I'll find my self wanting to upgrade again much sooner than if I go with a newer phone like the 2014 X or Turbo. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem much else worthy of consideration in the ~4.7" form factor on Verizon.

My biggest worry with the 2014 X and Turbo is size. I went in to a store this past weekend to try out both phones. They were a bit unwieldy for me, but I was able to use them with one hand with some struggle. It's probably something I'd get used to after a few weeks. One issue I had was while swiping 1 handed with my left hand (I phone with my left hand a lot even though I'm right handed), the muscle below my thumb would occasionally hit the 123/ABC toggle button causing my swipe to get interrupted. That could be a deal breaker if I'm not able to adjust my technique to avoid. I'm thinking this may not be an issue with a Diztronic case on the phone, as that muscle would instead rest on the lip of the case, rather than directly on the screen/bezel. It was hard to make any definite decisions about the size due to the security lock on the back of the phones making them awkward to handle, regardless of size.

As far as the 2014 X vs Turbo goes, I'm leaning toward the Turbo. The slightly increased dimensions of the Turbo did not make a noticeable difference. The significantly larger battery on the turbo is a major appeal. The Turbos were also much snappier than the 2014 X (the X was on 5.0...memory leak issues?).

Right now I'm debating between getting the 2013 X and saving my upgrade until Verizon gets another worthy ~4.7" phone (maybe they'll get the Z4C, or the 4.7" X will get updated within a year or so?) OR giving the Turbo a shot now and returning it if I can't get used to the size within 14 days (would I get my upgrade back if I return the phone?).

Android thread goons, what should I do?

Moto X 2014. It rules.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

LastInLine posted:

No, I think I know the problem and the fix but I'm nearly positive it can't be done without root. What you need to do is delete (or move or rename) the file /data/misc/wpa_supplicant.conf and reboot. The file will be recreated on boot and your remembered networks will be gone.

This is a KitKat bug that is fixed on Lollipop that's triggered by using the hotspot. There isn't a fix besides either destroying that corrupted file or a full reset if you aren't rooted.

Wow, whattabug. But better than what I feared! I'll wait to get the L update I guess... Thanks so much for the answer.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Manky posted:

Wow, whattabug. But better than what I feared! I'll wait to get the L update I guess... Thanks so much for the answer.
Thing is who knows if upgrading it in a broken state will fix it. If there's a way to root non-destructively you might want to try that.

e: Also you're not going to just live without wifi until some indeterminate time in the future, surely? You're going to have to fix this one way or the other and looking at the support thread I found when this happened to me a reset doesn't help, you're going to need to reflash the firmware which is easier said than done on a non-Nexus.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jan 29, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

LastInLine posted:

Thing is who knows if upgrading it in a broken state will fix it. If there's a way to root non-destructively you might want to try that.

This is the first android device that I've owned that I've quite purposefully avoided loving with. :smithicide:

edit: Guess it's a factory reset then, once I check to see what hasn't backed up in the past two days because it's all set to go on WiFi...

Manky fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Jan 29, 2015