Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Fateo McMurray posted:

Life on Mars was amazing to the end go gently caress yourself

And Waterloo Road was never ever good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

PriorMarcus posted:

And Waterloo Road was never ever good.

Bad example, but the drop in quality after series 1 was astounding.

Popero
Apr 17, 2001

.406/.553/.735
Marry Me isn't perfect, but it attempts to fill the Happy Endings-filled hole in my heart, and I appreciate it for that.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

pentyne posted:

Bad example, but the drop in quality after series 1 was astounding.

Except for Life on Mars your right though. Utopia, Being Human, In the Flesh, Skins, The Inbetweeners and Shameless also plummeted in quality, though I'd argue Being Human was a little more gradual.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

PriorMarcus posted:

, though I'd argue Being Human was a little more gradual.

Not for me, I think. If I remember correctly, I felt a plummet in the middle of S2.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Being Human on Syfy was pretty drat good TV.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

zoux posted:

I know we're usually all "Uh, no it's the same as always" to people who ask "Does it seem like there are way more commercials now" but it turns out they're right:tinfoil:

I believe it, since I get my tv over slingbox, I can only use 30 second skip to get past commercials (the input lag makes ffwd/rwd too imprecise), so when it goes from 5 to 7 or more clicks I notice. And it has gotten worse, but not across the board.

But I'm still not watching ads. Find a better way to monetize, dinosaurs.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

IRQ posted:

I believe it, since I get my tv over slingbox, I can only use 30 second skip to get past commercials (the input lag makes ffwd/rwd too imprecise), so when it goes from 5 to 7 or more clicks I notice. And it has gotten worse, but not across the board.

But I'm still not watching ads. Find a better way to monetize, dinosaurs.

They are just going to start putting even more ads within the show. I read an article about how some insurance company had final say over scripts for that Kings show on NBC.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Mu Zeta posted:

They are just going to start putting even more ads within the show. I read an article about how some insurance company had final say over scripts for that Kings show on NBC.

They're also demanding more and more carriage fees, which is why carriers dropping channels when they demand double or triple their old cut is becoming more and more common.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Mu Zeta posted:

The one from like 7 years ago or is there another I'm not aware of?

I don't remember any insurance in that show at all.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

GreenNight posted:

Being Human on Syfy was pretty drat good TV.

Yeah, the last season was the best and it's a shame it ended when it did.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Pillowpants posted:

Yeah, the last season was the best and it's a shame it ended when it did.

Did it not resolve?

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

Popero posted:

Marry Me isn't perfect, but it attempts to fill the Happy Endings-filled hole in my heart, and I appreciate it for that.

Don't get too attached. Hopefully the next time Caspe gets a show it gets more than a partial first season. Also leads who have any chemistry with each other whatsoever.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

IRQ posted:

The one from like 7 years ago or is there another I'm not aware of?

I don't remember any insurance in that show at all.

Advertisers having say on content is so old that Rod Serling complained about having to rewrite a script because they had an appliance company as a sponsor and there was a scene where a character committed suicide by sticking their head in an oven.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

zoux posted:

Did it not resolve?

It did, although it did have one bit that was fairly obvious a rewrite when they heard it got canceled, as they set up a plot point about Sally's brother dying and becoming a ghost too but then he just leaves off screen and that's the last we hear of him. Other than that the ending was kind of sweet as they gave everyone happy endings. Sally used magic to bring Aiden back to life and while it didn't quite last it was good enough so that when he re-died he became a ghost instead of just ending. Sally and Aiden got to share a door and finally step through while Josh and Nora end up back together and eventually have two kids.

A really weird thing about the final season though is that they spent a fairly large chunk of it in an alternate timeline where Sally didn't die.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Erm well now I guess I don't have to watch it.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Misfits was good until the end. Rudy was awesome.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
The episode with the lactokinetic guy is in season 2 of Misfits, so that's wrong. and then season 3 has the alternate history Nazi episode, right? So.
I sort of fell off watching Misfits midway through season 3 though, partly because I missed The Best Character so much. Although Rudy was loving great from what I saw.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Anybody been watching the second season of The Musketeers? That's one of those shows that I enjoyed but just randomly realized I forgot about until tonight. Also I somehow watched the entire first season and the last season of Doctor Who without realizing/remembering that Capaldi plays the cardinal.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Spatula City posted:

The episode with the lactokinetic guy is in season 2 of Misfits, so that's wrong. and then season 3 has the alternate history Nazi episode, right? So.
I sort of fell off watching Misfits midway through season 3 though, partly because I missed The Best Character so much. Although Rudy was loving great from what I saw.

You missed out on zombie cheerleaders, zombie noir, acid trip bunny, the four Horsemen of the Apocalypse, a man who's penis has been stolen, a tortoise boyfriend and Satan-worshipping boy scouts. It was as awesome as it sounds.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I don't think your emphasising the murderous giant rabbit anywhere near enough.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

VDay posted:

Anybody been watching the second season of The Musketeers? That's one of those shows that I enjoyed but just randomly realized I forgot about until tonight. Also I somehow watched the entire first season and the last season of Doctor Who without realizing/remembering that Capaldi plays the cardinal.

Sadly the Cardinal dies off screen between seasons and the show suffers a lot from his absence.

Also, for Misfits, I think it stayed fun for the entire run of the series, but it wasn't really great like the first few series.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The issue with Misfits was that Howard Overman set up all this great ongoing/serialisation stuff in season 2, then supposedly decided he wasn't a fan of all that stuff and wanted to continue with the power of the week stories instead, so the one thing that elevated the show to true greatness got almost barely any time in season 3 aside from a shrugged-off wrapup in the last 10 minutes. Nathan leaving was a big loss, but it needn't have sunk the show.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

So, the Onion video network or whatever it was called burned bright and fast didn't it?

The amazing Sex House, the brilliant antiques show parody and then some quickly declining series until... nothing.

Also, I agree with the above about Misfits. To be fair, being poo poo at serialized storylines isn't anything new for UK writers.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Porkin Across America was loving great as well as extremely disturbing. Lake Dredge Appraisal I think was their best.

It just occurred to me that Tales from the Crypt isn't on HBOGo and now I'm mad about it.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

zoux posted:

Porkin Across America was loving great as well as extremely disturbing. Lake Dredge Appraisal I think was their best.

It just occurred to me that Tales from the Crypt isn't on HBOGo and now I'm mad about it.

I found the body horror in Porkin Across America too hard to stomach, so it left a bad taste that meant I didn't really enjoy the show as a whole. Lake Dredge was their best.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

PriorMarcus posted:

So, the Onion video network or whatever it was called burned bright and fast didn't it?

They realized that they could never top Sex House and stopped.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

PriorMarcus posted:

I found the body horror in Porkin Across America too hard to stomach, so it left a bad taste that meant I didn't really enjoy the show as a whole. Lake Dredge was their best.

I watched the first episode of porking and found it boring, and not particularly disturbing or disgusting. How is it disturbing (as in what's it similar to? trying to think of body-horror stuff, Society? Existenz? The Thing?) and how much more do I need to watch to get to the good bits?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The part where he perforates his palate with a pig bone shard while eating pork is majorly unsettling, even to think about today. Also his disturbing addiction to drinking pig blood.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Oh ok, so it's like plausable stuff that could happen and makes you shiver to think about. Like that time a friend of a friend was getting a dental checkup and the pressure from that needle they use was too much for his rotten molar, which collapsed and the needle went right through his gum and lodged in his jawbone.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Cactus posted:

I watched the first episode of porking and found it boring, and not particularly disturbing or disgusting. How is it disturbing (as in what's it similar to? trying to think of body-horror stuff, Society? Existenz? The Thing?) and how much more do I need to watch to get to the good bits?

Seriously? The episodes are like 5 minutes long, just watch the whole thing.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Cactus posted:

Oh ok, so it's like plausable stuff that could happen and makes you shiver to think about. Like that time a friend of a friend was getting a dental checkup and the pressure from that needle they use was too much for his rotten molar, which collapsed and the needle went right through his gum and lodged in his jawbone.

By the end it's not plausible no. Porkin' goes very very off the deep end as it goes along. The first episode doesn't really give you an idea of how far that show goes.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I totally understand somebody being unable to handle the body horror from Porkin' though. It's really really gross.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

IRQ posted:

By the end it's not plausible no. Porkin' goes very very off the deep end as it goes along. The first episode doesn't really give you an idea of how far that show goes.

I would pay money to meet the person that guessed just how bad it would end up by the end of it's run, because clearly they are the most powerful seer this world has ever seen.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Parenthood finale tonight. It was pretty good, besides every Kristina plotline.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Did they ever intend to release Cold Case on dvd? I know the musical rights are all over the place and that makes it too expensive, but they must have known right?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Kurtofan posted:

Did they ever intend to release Cold Case on dvd? I know the musical rights are all over the place and that makes it too expensive, but they must have known right?

They should have known, but they might not have cared -- poo poo, think about how long it took to get the music rights for WKRP in Cincinnati and The Wonder Years figured out, and both of those ran for less time (and were much bigger cultural touchstones) than Cold Case did.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

if you need every episode of cold case, just get your parents a DVR and come pick it up at the end of the month

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
How entertaining (please note that I said how entertaining and not how good) is True Blood? Is it worth watching if I enjoy stories with vampires?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Metal Loaf posted:

How entertaining (please note that I said how entertaining and not how good) is True Blood? Is it worth watching if I enjoy stories with vampires?

Entertaining as gently caress, if you can ignore stupid poo poo. It's one of my favorite crazy shows.

• Locked thread