Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008
I use a Char-broil barrel-style grill that I got on sale at Home Depot for about $50. I can do a couple racks at the time without them being on direct heat. It came with a built-in thermometer and everything but honestly I'd like to do an oil drum build.

My brother built a pretty nice smoker by repurposing an old broken oven.
Build your fire, or shovel hot wood/charcoal, into the broiler part of it and smoke all your stuff in the oven part.

I have a peach tree and a plum tree in my back yard; I love it when pieces fall off them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED
I got a Masterbuilt electric smoker because I don't want to gently caress with charcoal, I didn't have the budget to ask for the green egg, I don't really need to cook with four digit temperatures, and I like precise temperature control :v:

I smoked a duck with it as my first go-round and it turned out pretty great. Using the smoked fat I rendered out has been like cooking with cheat codes.

Echeveria
Aug 26, 2014

Ummmm maybe this is a dumb question, but the bottle is in Chinese and I can't read it. How do you store angry lady? Fridge or cupboard.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I set a live pig on fire on a hill of garbage it was rude and highly disrespectful to his rights as a living being a chicken laid a green egg

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Echeveria posted:

Ummmm maybe this is a dumb question, but the bottle is in Chinese and I can't read it. How do you store angry lady? Fridge or cupboard.

Cupboard. It solidifies in the fridge.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

antisodachrist posted:

I booked a flight to Denmark in mid May for no other reason than the flight was cheap. Two weeks total, but some of that will be in Germany and maybe Prague.

What am I getting myself into other than possibly being run over by a bicycle?

A lot of very jolly Nords.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Kenning posted:

A lot of very jolly Nords.

Kamelåså!

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I cooked for my dad for his birthday. My aunt and uncle came in from out of town, and my uncle accidentally broke my pepper mill. I told him it was no big deal, I'd just get another one -- this isn't the cool one I was given as a holiday gift, it's like a $20 set from Wegmans -- but he insisted on replacing it.

He's a high-end accountant and thinks fancy things are always better, so he sent me an electric mill. Don't get me wrong, it's very nice, and he even went to the trouble of selecting one that would more or less match my salt shaker. But now instead of a simple pepper mill that I can use whenever, I now have this giant thing that needs four -- FOUR -- AA batteries or else it does nothing. It's push-button operated, there's no way to manually grind with it.

It was very nice, I appreciate the thought and I am 100% sure he thought he was upgrading me, but I am not sure why this thing exists.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Can you use it with one hand because that's moderately useful occasionally

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I suppose so. I've never really felt I had an inadequate number of hands with which to grind pepper.

ascendance
Feb 19, 2013
Bah. If that uncle wants fancy, he should have replaced the pepper mill with a hand made Peugeot one.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

ascendance posted:

Bah. If that uncle wants fancy, he should have replaced the pepper mill with a hand made Peugeot one.

Truth. I love my Peugeot mill.

antisodachrist
Jul 24, 2007

Dane posted:

Feel free to ask all sorts of questions, I lived in Copenhagen for the first 33 years of my life and still go there all the time (well, not for the past half year because of BABBY, but ...).

What do you want out of a trip? Where do you want to stay etc? A good friend of mine does the airbnb thing, she has a great apartment centrally in Vesterbro in the old red light district (now gentrified and somewhat hipsterized)

Meant to reply last night, but got distracted and went to the bar. Mostly looking to explore a new city. Good food, beer, and the like. Not sure where to stay exactly, but that is more likely to be set by what kind of bonus I get this year.

Hipsters don't bother me, and they tend to be close to good food and coffee. I will just have to get some wax for my beard to fit in.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Make your "maybe Prague" into a "definitely Prague" because it's a beautiful city with fantastic food and beer.

antisodachrist
Jul 24, 2007

bartolimu posted:

Make your "maybe Prague" into a "definitely Prague" because it's a beautiful city with fantastic food and beer.

I know, I was there in 2013. Just trying to keep my options open. I will probably go back there just because I missed a lot the last time.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

tarbrush posted:

Truth. I love my Peugeot mill.

I wish I felt the same way. I feel like the little knob on top constantly unscrews itself. Am I doing something wrong?

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.
One of my favourite things about the Cole and Mason Derwent mill that Cook's Illustrated likes is that the grind selector is at the bottom, divorced from the lid assembly. My old mill would loosen over time (increasingly as it got older) and I'd always have to readjust to get it right again. Or when I had to refill it. It's a really small thing, but it's nice to not deal with it.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Chemmy posted:

I wish I felt the same way. I feel like the little knob on top constantly unscrews itself. Am I doing something wrong?

It's a pepper mill, so I'm only going to point out the way I broke a cheapie. Are you turning the mechanism in one direction or do you go back and forth with it? I did back and forth because that's what we did in my family when I was a kid. On this guy, it caused the knob on the top to always come loose.

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007
I feel like electric pepper grinders fall into the same category as electric corkscrews, which is "an over-complicated solution to an imagined problem". The only potential use I can see for either is perhaps for the severely arthritic or others with motor control problems.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
"Old people" seems to be a pretty big demographic though.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
One pepper mill to rule them all.

I've had mine for about 3 years now and love this drat thing.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Croatoan posted:

One pepper mill to rule them all.

I've had mine for about 3 years now and love this drat thing.

QFT.

Also,

:911: :911: :911: :911: :911: :911: :911: :911: :911: :911: :911:

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The Unicorn magnum is for people who put function over form. It's nothing special to look at, but man does it grind lots of pepper in a hurry.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

The Unicorn magnum is for people who put function over form. It's nothing special to look at, but man does it grind lots of pepper in a hurry.

A Unicorn Magnum sounds like a particularly depraved sex toy.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

therattle posted:

Kind of looks like one too.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

You guys are all wrong, best mill is this: http://www.amazon.com/OXO-Good-Grips-Pepper-Mill/dp/B003L0OOQM . That handle really lets you crank through a lot of pepper really fast. Only problem I had was over tightening the coarseness selector on one but I was able to eventually get it back into shape.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Kind of looks like one too.

Feels like one too

vuk83
Oct 9, 2012

antisodachrist posted:

Meant to reply last night, but got distracted and went to the bar. Mostly looking to explore a new city. Good food, beer, and the like. Not sure where to stay exactly, but that is more likely to be set by what kind of bonus I get this year.

Hipsters don't bother me, and they tend to be close to good food and coffee. I will just have to get some wax for my beard to fit in.

Things you should see in copenhagen.
Christiania. Hippies and hash.
The little mermaid. Just cause.

Things you should eat in copenhagen.
Smørrebrød.
Hotdogs from a street vendor.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
The best part about going to Denmark is that it's just a short train ride away from Sweden.

Kamelåså, danskjävlar!

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

OK, starting small with the moon language... How the gently caress do you pronounce the zero? That one gives me a headache just looking at it.

Echeveria
Aug 26, 2014

The day I can spend $40 bucks on a pepper mill...

I need a roomba to chase my cats and pick up their fur, first.

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007

Eeyo posted:

You guys are all wrong, best mill is this: http://www.amazon.com/OXO-Good-Grips-Pepper-Mill/dp/B003L0OOQM . That handle really lets you crank through a lot of pepper really fast. Only problem I had was over tightening the coarseness selector on one but I was able to eventually get it back into shape.

THIS. I have bought four of these - one for home, one for the camping/hiking backpack, one for my best friend since I broke their old one, and one for my parents. Grinds great, easy to refill, and cheap. Probably one of the best bang for the buck items in my kitchen.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Squashy Nipples posted:

OK, starting small with the moon language... How the gently caress do you pronounce the zero? That one gives me a headache just looking at it.

Which one of them? We are all kamelåså.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??

therattle posted:

Look at it...

Clearly no unitasker, that one.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

Squashy Nipples posted:

Zero is 'nul'

The ø on the other hand...

And don't worry about the ø, it is the 'd' that will give you problems (also with regards to pronunciation)

ascendance
Feb 19, 2013
I bought myself a Thermopen for my birthday. gently caress you, whoever posted the discount link.

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

Happy Hat posted:

Zero is 'nul'

And don't worry about the ø, it is the 'd' that will give you problems (also with regards to pronunciation)

Especially since danish phonetics were obviously boiled together by someone drunk, after a VERY long christmas party.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

BlueGrot posted:

Especially since danish phonetics were obviously boiled together by someone drunk, after a VERY long christmas party.

To be honest, our phonetics are the salsa chicken of the germannic languages.

Unlike Norwegian, which is onion soup mix.

Serendipitaet
Apr 19, 2009

Happy Hat posted:

Zero is 'nul'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8VziyktyS0

:denmark:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

Happy Hat posted:

To be honest, our phonetics are the salsa chicken of the germannic languages.

Unlike Norwegian, which is onion soup mix.

I have a quite strong dialect as well, so don't confuse me with those goddamn easterners.