Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

guppy posted:

I bought Dirty Rice when it came out, listened to it once, and forgot about it. I dug it out a couple weeks ago and it turns out it's excellent. I've listened to it several times since.

Same. Was pretty meh about it when I first heard it, since I loving love them, but recently I've picked it up again and it's really enjoyable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat
They're baaaaaaaaaaack.

https://highschoolfootballheroes.bandcamp.com/album/2k14

Seeing these dudes this past summer was such a good show. If anyone can get out to long island on the 27th, you should see their show.

Beekeeping and You
Sep 27, 2011

Hey, pretty much my only exposure to ska for a very long time was having a few Reel Big Fish and Aquabats albums, so now I'm listening to the bands in the OP, and this poo poo's really great. So, thanks for all the recommendations. :)

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsGySsI3mck

lessthankyle posted:

They're baaaaaaaaaaack.

https://highschoolfootballheroes.bandcamp.com/album/2k14

Seeing these dudes this past summer was such a good show. If anyone can get out to long island on the 27th, you should see their show.

:tviv:

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

it's almost throwdown time :neckbeard:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1wNgxrV3js

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

BE loving FRIDAY ALREADY

Battle Rockers
Aug 3, 2008

i wanna witness ur slit
I want to talk a little about traditional ska. You ever heard Stranger Cole's Rough and Tough?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5rUf2hOxZM

The gentleman who originally played harmonica on this track is still active and lives in Chicago. His name is Charley Organaire. Here he is actually joining Stranger Cole onstage in Chicago at Mayne Stage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=266qoyu1S3E

Mr. Organaire is touring Europe while backed by an excellent Minneapolis ska band called The Prizefighters. He has new recordings of his own featuring The Prizefighters. One of my favorites is called I Won The Prize, a stomping, energetic instrumental. You can hear that music in the promo video for the European tour.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcmh0F3O4Vs

I just want to say I think this is a great thing and I hope more people will too. I understand it's mostly third-wave ska being discussed around here and I want to throw my hat in and get this info out there.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

WHO'S READY FOR 3 DAYS OF PARTYING I'M READY FOR 3 DAYS OF PARTYING

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yT0bPgoUXCQ

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

:sax:

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

the bosstones played little bit ugly goodbye ska thread i'm dead now

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

With my bald headed partner in crime Katz! Love that guy.

And opening with just Shoe Glue without 737? Old schooooool

AWK and LCA absolutely ripped. Holy poo poo. Night 3 best night. Time to start the recovery.

Hobbit
Dec 5, 2009

The Undisputed Despot
of The Atoll of Misfit Toys

Obama Yo Mama posted:

the bosstones played little bit ugly goodbye ska thread i'm dead now

Fateo McMurray posted:

With my bald headed partner in crime Katz! Love that guy.

And opening with just Shoe Glue without 737? Old schooooool

AWK and LCA absolutely ripped. Holy poo poo. Night 3 best night. Time to start the recovery.

Dear Boston,

I hate you.

No love,

Hobbit

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Set-list

Night 1
- Dr. D
- Graffiti Worth Reading
- Someday I Suppose
- The Skeleton Song
- Where'd You Go?
- Kinder Words
- Everybody's Better
- Howwhywuz, Howwhyam
- They Will Need Music
- I Won't Go Out Like That
- Hell Of A Hat
- Another Drinkin' Song
- Jacknife to a Swan
- Rascal King
- Nah Nah Nah Nah Nah
- Nevermind Me
- She Just Happened
- You Left Right
- Don't Know How To Party
- He's Back
- Don't Worry Desmond Dekker/Johnny Too Bad
- The Impression That I Get
- Lights Out
ENCORE:
- The Day He Didn't Die
- I'll Drink To That
- This Time Of Year

Night 2
- This Time Of Year
- They Came to Boston
- Rascal King
- You Gotta Go
- Someday I Suppose
- Let Me Be
- You Left Right
- Where'd You Go?
- The Cave
- I Want My City Back
- I Won't Go Out Like That
- Kinder Words
- Hope I Never Lose My Wallet
- Wrong Thing, Right Then
- Royal Oil
- Rudie Can't Fail
- Sunday Afternoons on Wisdom Ave.
- The Old School Off The Bright
- Your Life
- They Will Need Music
- Don't Worry Desmond Dekker/Johnny Too Bad
- Open And Honest
- Lights Out
ENCORE:
- Toxic Toast

Night 3
- Shoe Glue
- 1-2-8
- The Bartender's Song
- Everybody's Better
- Graffiti Worth Reading
- Someday I Suppose
- Like A Shotgun
- Hell Of A Hat
- Bad News And Bad Breaks
- Wasted Summer
- ??? (New song?)
- Where'd You Go?
- Another Drinkin' Song
- The Horseshoe and the Rabbit's Foot
- The Rascal King
- Mr. Moran
- Simmer Down
- The Bricklayer's Story
- Dr. D
- A Little Bit Ugly
- Don't Worry, Desmond Dekker/Johnny Too Bad
- Open And Honest
- Lights Out
ENCORE:
- X-Mas Time (Sure Doesn't Feel Like It)
- Pirate Ship
- A Pretty Sad Excuse

Maybe FMM caught the song I missed night 3 because I was too busy dancing and contemplating buying a santa to know what the hell was going on

e: i should've bought a santa :(

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Dec 29, 2014

Hobbit
Dec 5, 2009

The Undisputed Despot
of The Atoll of Misfit Toys
There's actually a lot of songs not on that set list I would have missed, otherwise that's a solid list especially taken as a whole. I love that they closed night 2 on 737 and opened night three with Shoe Glue.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

I took a photo

edit: I took 2

Fateo McMurray fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Dec 30, 2014

Dodecalypse
Jun 21, 2012

SKA SUCKS

Fateo McMurray posted:

I took a photo

edit: I took 2

my heart

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Battle Rockers posted:

I want to talk a little about traditional ska. You ever heard Stranger Cole's Rough and Tough?

The gentleman who originally played harmonica on this track is still active and lives in Chicago. His name is Charley Organaire. Here he is actually joining Stranger Cole onstage in Chicago at Mayne Stage.

Mr. Organaire is touring Europe while backed by an excellent Minneapolis ska band called The Prizefighters. He has new recordings of his own featuring The Prizefighters. One of my favorites is called I Won The Prize, a stomping, energetic instrumental. You can hear that music in the promo video for the European tour.

I just want to say I think this is a great thing and I hope more people will too. I understand it's mostly third-wave ska being discussed around here and I want to throw my hat in and get this info out there.

I saw Charley Organaire about a year ago at Mayne Stage with Susan Cadogan. That guy is really good, and the whole show was good. Prizefighters are a pretty tight band, and they do really well as a backing band. I appreciate Chuck Wren getting the Jamaican Oldies shows together, I just wish they didn't cost so much. Also Chuck needs to stop bitching so much on facebook, jesus.

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat
Ska or Improv

This is relevant to both of my interests, and very on point.

Also, some of these bands are horrid.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
New Jeff Rosenstock record has a name, cover art and a release date: March 3rd.

Battle Rockers
Aug 3, 2008

i wanna witness ur slit

Meltathon posted:

I saw Charley Organaire about a year ago at Mayne Stage with Susan Cadogan. That guy is really good, and the whole show was good. Prizefighters are a pretty tight band, and they do really well as a backing band. I appreciate Chuck Wren getting the Jamaican Oldies shows together, I just wish they didn't cost so much. Also Chuck needs to stop bitching so much on facebook, jesus.

Yeah I really appreciate what Chuck and Jump Up Records are doing with the label and putting on all the Jamaican Oldies shows. Had no idea about his social media presence though as I don't really pay attention to that sort of thing.

HisFlyingFingers
Jan 7, 2006

*~Weekend Lovers~*

lessthankyle posted:

Ska or Improv

This is relevant to both of my interests, and very on point.

Also, some of these bands are horrid.

I'm in the oldest picture on there. I'm going to pretend it's a compliment.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

get in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JidJV1ue1lI

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

So, I'm genuinely curious: since BtMI is basically "Jeff + a rotating group of musicians/iPods," why is he releasing stuff under his own name now instead of sticking with the BtMI name? It sounds really similar anyway.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

drunk asian neighbor posted:

So, I'm genuinely curious: since BtMI is basically "Jeff + a rotating group of musicians/iPods," why is he releasing stuff under his own name now instead of sticking with the BtMI name? It sounds really similar anyway.

Because BtMI stopped being that somewhere between Get Warmer and Scrambles and became a core group of people and broke up. At one point he was going to stop doing music altogether.

The new album still has John on bass though and that's what matters.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

where's the dude who hates jeff?

gently caress that dude :colbert:

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Literally The Worst posted:

At one point he was going to stop doing music altogether.

If only

Skeezy posted:

Yo.

Hey that guy in the video that hates Jeff too is bald just like me! He's my spirit animal.

Here have some good ska https://thenewlimits.bandcamp.com/album/pressure-up/

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
really cool video, I'm digging nausea redone

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat
I was there for that shoot, and you can see me briefly being stabbed in a striped shirt. It was a long rear end day, and Jeff spent a good two hours laying on the ground with tacos coming out of him.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

pre-ordered the purple vinyl and a t-shirt, but I'm already regretting not throwing down $80 and getting the jeff robenstock

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Fateo McMurray posted:

If only

Yo.

Hey that guy in the video that hates Jeff too is bald just like me! He's my spirit animal.

Here have some good ska https://thenewlimits.bandcamp.com/album/pressure-up/

I want to hate you but I can't but know that I really want to

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Obama Yo Mama posted:

pre-ordered the purple vinyl and a t-shirt, but I'm already regretting not throwing down $80 and getting the jeff robenstock
All the pre-order items are cool but I don't think I can justify the $$$ for something I'm not going to use.

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009
I had to give myself a stern talking to about pre-orders. I had so much useless band merch in my house that I never did anything with, it was ridiculous. I have never once written in my Chuck Ragan journal or looked at the Gaslight Anthem postcard photo set. That Jeff robe and bear are so goddamn tempting but I can't let myself do it.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Ever since my debit card wouldn't work at the final BTMI show, causing me to miss out on all the merch cus I didn't have cash, I've been really loose with buying band merch. I really regret not getting at least a t-shirt from that show, so I never wanna go through the pain of not being able to buy something again. This is how I justify spending money on a robe and teddy bear who nobody I know will even begin to understand.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Skeezy posted:

I too don't like Jeff but this sounds like actual music for once so this is cool good

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

CodfishCartographer posted:

Ever since my debit card wouldn't work at the final BTMI show, causing me to miss out on all the merch cus I didn't have cash, I've been really loose with buying band merch. I really regret not getting at least a t-shirt from that show, so I never wanna go through the pain of not being able to buy something again. This is how I justify spending money on a robe and teddy bear who nobody I know will even begin to understand.

I'm totally getting the teddy bear bundle. If the robe wasn't an extra twenty I'd get that too.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Obama Yo Mama posted:

I want to hate you but I can't but know that I really want to

let the hate floooooooooooooooow through you.

But really this was some of the least offensive stuff he's put out in a while. If a friend put it on his iphone in the car I wouldn't complain about it like I would if it was something off Vacation.

I'm also ok with Adults!!!: Smart!!! Shithammered!!! And Excited by Nothing!!!!!!!

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Vacation is like the most straightforward thing he's ever recorded though.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Vacation is flawless. When Campaign For A Better Next Weekend kicks up I could run through a loving wall

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!
Vacation is their worst album by far. gently caress slow songs and that one has the most slow songs. It takes 3ish minutes for Campaign to become a good song. Boring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I like Vacation