Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FCKGW
May 21, 2006

https://twitter.com/sarahjeong/status/560857078626279426

nearly all of the Bitcoin transfers from Silk Road servers to ulbrichts personal and server wallets were not tumbled to laundered in any way. sent straight from Silk Road wallet to the wallet on his laptop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

theflyingorc posted:

that's the reason Red Hat completely shuttered their box product and went entirely to charging people for support

a number of years back Oracle literally took their code, did a find+replace for any keywords linking it directly to Red Hat, and said they'd support it at half RH's price

luckily their support sucked so it didn't matter, but if Red Hat was still selling boxed product at that point they would have basically been out of business immediately
:eng101: : we give our stuff away for free, for anyone to use, and make money on support
:qq: : oh god other larger companies with real marketing budgets and support staffs and revenue streams just duplicated our product and are undercutting us to drive us out of business this is SO unfair

also, big laffs when open source companies complain about predatory pricing

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

FCKGW posted:

nearly all of the Bitcoin transfers from Silk Road servers to ulbrichts personal and server wallets were not tumbled to laundered in any way. sent straight from Silk Road wallet to the wallet on his laptop.
100 years from now federal prosecutors will still be telling each other the Story Of Ross Ulbricht's Laptop and The Easiest Case We Ever Took To Trial

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

prob fake but a good reflection of what I am sure has happened to many people.

Like a psa disguised as reality tv

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

evilweasel posted:

everything he's doing evidence-wise is based on building a record for appeal, he has firmly lost this issue at trial and just wants to maximize the chance he can talk an appeals court into overturning the verdict because he wasn't allowed to cross-examine the witness sufficiently or the like

Do you think the appeal will have much success or is this more just due diligence of a defense attorney even in a hopeless case?

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

FMguru posted:

100 years from now federal prosecutors will still be telling each other the Story Of Ross Ulbricht's Laptop and The Easiest Case We Ever Took To Trial

no one will believe them

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

FCKGW posted:

i thought bitcoin was anonymous?!?!

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
Sarah Jeong ‏@sarahjeong
FBI traced 700,254 BTC in direct transactions from the servers to the Ulbricht laptop.

$100m unlaundered bitcoins lol

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

OSI bean dip posted:

i thought bitcoin was anonymous?!?!

anonymous?

no, fees!

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

A relaxing walk in the woods
Grimey Drawer
bruce wagner weighs in on the latest developments:

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

like food and water, my posting has no intrinsic value

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

Sarah Jeong ‏@sarahjeong
FBI traced 700,254 BTC in direct transactions from the servers to the Ulbricht laptop.

$100m unlaundered bitcoins lol

3.3% of all the bitcoins that will ever be created, or about 6.5% of the existing market. all in the hands of the guy running the drug market. remind me again that Bitcoin has legitimate usage outside of deepweb drug deals?

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

yeah but it won't happen to me

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Pumpy Dumper posted:

DPR mom put her house up to pay for the lawyer iirc

also she's apparently collected over $300k in donations towards his defence fund. i have no idea from whom

http://freeross.org/donate-now-2/

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

also will the defence say that you can just send Bitcoin to any address so this is clearly a frame up

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
"Well you see your honor, perhaps Silk Road sent my client these millions of dollars worth of drug money by accident!"

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Do you think the appeal will have much success or is this more just due diligence of a defense attorney even in a hopeless case?

this is pretty much just his lawyer trying to do anything he can. this really is a slam dunk case for prosecution unless evidence gets tossed. there doesn't really seem to be any way he's getting exonerated even if some evidence does get tossed on appeal.

mr Scoop
Feb 13, 2006

Help! Someone! Cut my head off, it's trying to murder the rest of me!

Grimey Drawer

Takanago posted:

"Well you see your honor, perhaps Silk Road sent my client these millions of dollars worth of drug money by accident!"

tbf that sounds like something a bitcoiner would do

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

mr Scoop posted:

tbf that sounds like something a bitcoiner would do
remember when they sent milisatoshis to fbi.gov and the email of that regulator in new york under the logic of "since you now own bitcoins, you cant prosecute anyone else without first prosecuting yourselves roflmao"?

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

big scary monsters posted:

also she's apparently collected over $300k in donations towards his defence fund. i have no idea from whom

http://freeross.org/donate-now-2/

$160k of that was donated by Roger Ver.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

FCKGW posted:

but.. anonymous!

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

Erenthal posted:

bruce wagner weighs in on the latest developments:

wb :unsmith:

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

bruce wagner, so i assume that stands for "Wittle Boys"

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

FMguru posted:

remember when they sent milisatoshis to fbi.gov and the email of that regulator in new york under the logic of "since you now own bitcoins, you cant prosecute anyone else without first prosecuting yourselves roflmao"?

I too remember dropping an eighth in a police department mailbox and watching them all arrest each other for possession

filthy regex
Oct 1, 2010

s/ (. Y .) / 8==D~~ /g

Cocoa Crispies posted:

bruce wagner, so i assume that stands for "Wittle Boys"

naw it's "without burritos"

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Matlock Birthmark posted:

makes sense. ver and karpeles are like two mighty and opposing gods of bitcoin, they know that fighting directly would unleash terrible destruction on the world so they are battling using ulbricht as their proxy. the outcome of this case decides not just his fate, but the fate of the entire universe (of butts)

someone please send me 50% of the gross when this hits the cinemas

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.

big scary monsters posted:

makes sense. ver and karpeles are like two mighty and opposing gods of bitcoin, they know that fighting directly would unleash terrible destruction on the world so they are battling using ulbricht as their proxy. the outcome of this case decides not just his fate, but the fate of the entire universe (of butts)

someone please send me 50% of the gross when this hits the cinemas

clash of the cretins

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Heresiarch posted:

clash of the cretins

hash of the titans

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
grass of the titans

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

FCKGW posted:

the phrase "Winklevii" comes from the movie The Social Network. Ann Perkins asks zuckerberg why he hates the Winklevosses and he calls them Winklevii in return

maybe he jsut said winklevi

i mean did he enunciuate both is

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Now there was a day when the sons of Bitcoin came to present themselves before the VER and Karpeles came also among them. And the VER said unto Karpeles, Whence comest thou? Then Karpeles answered the VER, and said, From going to and fro in the 'net, and from posting up and down in it. And the VER said unto Karpeles, Hast thou considered my servant Ross, that there is none like him in the earth, a perfect and a brilliant man, one that loveth Coins, and escheweth government? Then Karpeles answered the VER, and said, Doth Ross love Coins for naught? Hast not they made an hedge about him, and about his house, and about all that he hath on every side? they hast blessed the work of his servers, and his substance is increased in his wallet. But put forth their hand now, and touch all that he hath, and he will curse them to thy face. And the VER said unto Karpeles, Behold, all that he hath is in thy power; only upon himself put not forth thine hand. So Karpeles went forth from the presence of the VER.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

filthy regex posted:

naw it's "without burritos"

VM!

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

Matlock Birthmark posted:

quote:

Thousands of people responded to Roger’s retweet campaign challenge and outstanding offer of support. True to his word and commitment to liberty, Roger made good on his promise.
was this the one where it was like 'for every retweet i donate ten dollars' and after like a million retweets he was all 'yes thank you for reaching the 15000 rts goal i never said anything about, please stop retweeting'

or am i thinking of a different donation pledge scam

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

i like this one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8cN586JUR8

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

Takanago posted:

so far the defence has tried to say these files are his laptop because of an error copying ram and maybe an open BitTorrent port

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

MORE CURLY FRIES posted:

so far the defence has tried to say these files are his laptop because of an error copying ram and maybe an open BitTorrent port

elves

ghosts

manufacturer's error

ambien walrus

Rick Ross Ulbricht
Feb 3, 2010

put yourself in the shoes of a prosecutor trying to build a case against you. what evidence could they pin on you? there is nothing on your laptop for them to use, if you obscure your bitcoins propperly, there is no way for them to trace them back to me.

MORE CURLY FRIES posted:

Your honor, I, ::ross:W:ulbricht::, a sovereign man, refuse to create joinder with straw wallet 1hitlerdidnothingwrongjewwww and fine you $2,000,000 for attempting to trick me

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Mr. Nice! posted:

this is pretty much just his lawyer trying to do anything he can. this really is a slam dunk case for prosecution unless evidence gets tossed. there doesn't really seem to be any way he's getting exonerated even if some evidence does get tossed on appeal.

the 7 character witnesses just seem like he's trying to get a reduced sentence to me.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

:pray:

Rick Ross Ulbricht
Feb 3, 2010

put yourself in the shoes of a prosecutor trying to build a case against you. what evidence could they pin on you? there is nothing on your laptop for them to use, if you obscure your bitcoins propperly, there is no way for them to trace them back to me.

:eyepop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

can you imagine the gnashing that would occur

• Locked thread