Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Amnistar posted:

But yea, it's in the fricken' OP that flavor arguments are dumb, please don't make them and depend upon them.

Gamerofthegame posted:

fuk u i'm going for it

Epsilon Plus posted:

You arrive outside Light's Lab and the aformentioned reinforcements arrive in a cargo container. Some of them are unfamiliar; old, forgotten designs. You're pretty sure some of these aren't even true Robot Masters! In fact, during the introductions, you end up with several more robots than you did before. Hopelessly confused, you determine the best way to determine who is who is to dismantle each other, one by one, and read off your internal serial numbers.

:colbert:

I'm standing by it until we get a scum and see what the flavor of 'em is. With the full understanding that Milky Moor recently used flavor arguments to incredible effect in that 5-star auspol game. I still want to see his breadcrumbs to be fully satisfied, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

I am a wizard, not a poet.

Ernie. posted:

Maybe I should duel amnistar just based on this one post. Not only is this the first Amni talks about EXAKT's situation at all, but it's to play devil's advocate in a scenario where I can't even comprehend what he thinks should be done, he just wants us to know that he disagrees!!

I think that you shouldn't let someone's role-claim determine if you duel them or not?

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

A pro-scum cuddle chain would look like "clearly one of A or B is scum, if A flips town we need to kill B tomorrow", which is not at all what Amni was doing with that post.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Amnistar posted:

Chain lynhes built off of innocence, I.E. Either You or You are scum, so we lynch one, then if you're town' we lynch the other are anti-town.

Chain Lynches built off of guilt, I.E. if this person is scum then you are totally scum as well because of these connections are pro-town.

That's how we establish the scum, by connecting them together.

But that's not the only way to establish scum, and it's not the most consistent way either? Especially with a claimed masonry in the game.

I concede the point that I was hasty in calling out that particular point, again I was kinda scrambling to catch up.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Gamerofthegame posted:

:colbert:

I'm standing by it until we get a scum and see what the flavor of 'em is. With the full understanding that Milky Moor recently used flavor arguments to incredible effect in that 5-star auspol game. I still want to see his breadcrumbs to be fully satisfied, though.

I would highly, highly, highly recommend that you not take anything the Auspols do as similar to what we do. Yes, the strategy is the same, but the implementation is so different. You'll start seeing it soon, but yeah.

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

Amnistar posted:

I think that you shouldn't let someone's role-claim determine if you duel them or not?

I mean, basically, you have set up a situation where either the claim won't matter, and you'll duel them anyway, or the claim is one the town wants to keep alive, and thus secret, and so it being claimed negates the fact that you stop the duel.

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

apostateCourier posted:

But that's not the only way to establish scum, and it's not the most consistent way either? Especially with a claimed masonry in the game.

It might have changed but, in fact, that IS the most consistent way to find scum. They have knowledge from each other, such as the alignment of other players.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Amnistar posted:

But you're sure that EXAKT is town, yeah?

Amnistar posted:

I mean, basically, you have set up a situation where either the claim won't matter, and you'll duel them anyway, or the claim is one the town wants to keep alive, and thus secret, and so it being claimed negates the fact that you stop the duel.

Or considering we have a bus-driver, he can claim whatever he wants to with impunity.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Amnistar posted:

It might have changed but, in fact, that IS the most consistent way to find scum. They have knowledge from each other, such as the alignment of other players.

I don't know, I just try to look through the game and find behavior that deliberately makes things muddy, or is rear end-covering, or outright contradictions and lies. It tends to work.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Ernie. posted:

I would highly, highly, highly recommend that you not take anything the Auspols do as similar to what we do. Yes, the strategy is the same, but the implementation is so different. You'll start seeing it soon, but yeah.

Ah, I forgot to mention he was scum in that, which was more of understanding.

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

Ernie. posted:

But you're sure that EXAKT is town, yeah?

Or considering we have a bus-driver, he can claim whatever he wants to with impunity.

I don't currently think EXAKT is scum, slightly different than being sure that he is town.

And we apparently already have someone that needs protecting with the busdriver, in Quid.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Welp just skimmed through and half read a whole bunch of this poo poo to see if I got vigged and if it was even worth posting something, and I am still alive!

I find it interesting how quick Somber and Gamer both dropped me as a badman simply because I was bus driven with Krell. Odd, but maybe since the only option is for me to be 3p I can't be the 3p kill? I don't know.

Do people actually want me to go back and get my quickman breadcrumbs like Gamer asked, because I can, but breadcrumbs are mostly dumb and I only put them there because I like doing dumb things.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Rarity posted:

I don't think gamer would know that rolefishing is bad considering how new he is.

Hi, you mention this but don't have any mention of my "how is Gamer able to divine that Somber was implying my role was one-shot, how does he even know what one-shot is" argument from late last real-life-night. Can you comment on it now?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Quidnose posted:

Hi, you mention this but don't have any mention of my "how is Gamer able to divine that Somber was implying my role was one-shot, how does he even know what one-shot is" argument from late last real-life-night. Can you comment on it now?

Could be something his scum buddies have told him, could be he has a one-shot ability himself so he heard the term from that. I don't think it's necessarily a gotcha but worth looking at after his claim.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Quidnose I have absolutely nothing polite to say to you right now.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Quidnose posted:

i am talking about serial killers and third parties and this that and the next thing, do you really think various mafia 101 role basics is hard for me to grasp

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

Gamerofthegame posted:

i am talking about serial killers and third parties and this that and the next thing, do you really think various mafia 101 role basics is hard for me to grasp

Quid's comment was more about the idea of Rarity excusing your lack of knowledge about rolefishing while ignoring your knowledge of other things. Quid isn't implying you're dumb.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Nor was I even mentioning Somber so I don't know why he's chiming in to clear his name.

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

Quidnose posted:

Nor was I even mentioning Somber so I don't know why he's chiming in to clear his name.

I mean, you did in the post before where you commented on how quickly they dropped you.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Oh yeah true dat.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
Ernie whoever you're dueling you should make a decision soon so we have time to double cuddle

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale

Kumbamontu posted:

Ernie whoever you're dueling you should make a decision soon so we have time to double cuddle

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Kumbamontu posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEtm_Q2LK9g

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Okay, EXAKT, claim.

Sorry, all, was at the gym then work dinner.

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale
Sure thing Ern!

I am Doc Robot, and my role is Variable Backup. Once per game, I can take on the role and alignment of a player who has died. Right now, I'm town aligned, and have every intention of staying that way.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

EXAKT Science posted:

Sure thing Ern!

I am Doc Robot, and my role is Variable Backup. Once per game, I can take on the role and alignment of a player who has died. Right now, I'm town aligned, and have every intention of staying that way.

This is great news, it means there are probably only two scum.

Maybe we should keep EXAKT alive until Quidnose dies??

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

So is it okay if I go ahead and duel you, doc robot?

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale
I'd prefer not, as I'd like to remain alive :v:

But, if you must, I won't mind :shobon:

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale
I'd honestly much rather you duel Amni, Gamer, or CPig as they're more likely to be scums, but if I lose the duel, then I hope the town look at all of them with a bit more scrutiny.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

The flavor does check out and make sense. :shrug:

Depends on if you think he's a liability or not, I guess?

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Gamerofthegame posted:

The flavor does check out and make sense. :shrug:

Depends on if you think he's a liability or not, I guess?

I think the problem is if we're in a 4 town vs 2 scum situation at end game, the town has lost no matter what it does if we keep EXAKT alive. Even if we kill a scum at that point, EXAKT can turn scum and we lose with the night-kill.

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale

Ernie. posted:

I think the problem is if we're in a 4 town vs 2 scum situation at end game, the town has lost no matter what it does if we keep EXAKT alive. Even if we kill a scum at that point, EXAKT can turn scum and we lose with the night-kill.

I can also turn into a town power role if we lose one, or make the scum waste a night kill on me, giving the town PRs an extra night action.

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale
Ernie do you leave the game if you win your duel? I'm assuming winning it is at least part of your win condition.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

EXAKT Science posted:

Ernie do you leave the game if you win your duel? I'm assuming winning it is at least part of your win condition.

I know it's hard to believe considering the way I'm playing it, but I'm actually town. I just have to eliminate all threats.

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale

Ernie. posted:

I know it's hard to believe considering the way I'm playing it, but I'm actually town. I just have to eliminate all threats.

It is hard to believe, and I'm not sure I entirely do. Part of it is the way you've been acting, but, despite EP's insistence that flavor arguments are very bad in this game, my guess at your flavor implies that you're 3P. However, that said, it wouldn't be inconceivable for (my guess at) your flavor to be aligned with us robot masters, so i really don't know. WHY CAN'T I EVER TRUST THE PEOPLE I LOVE??

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Yeah I was thinking the same thing, EXAKT, because Ernie has been all too excited to jump at people he thinks he has an easy chance at dueling to the death. He also dismissed it completely when I asked him about it.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Ernie. posted:

Ernie. posted:

So is it okay if I go ahead and duel you, doc robot?

I don't like either of these posts.

What does EXAKT's claim have to do with the number of scum?

If you believe him then why would you duel him?

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
I find this all very suspicious.

I'm going to do some thinking out loud here. Feel free to ignore.

Krell's flip has already shown the possibility of 3P possessing unusual victory conditions. That said, Krell's role also was a pro-town one, albeit one with the possibility of some anti-town vendetta if things go wrong. The important part, though, is that it's entirely possible that Ernie's wincon is distinct from that of the normal town wincon.

Exakt's role sounds a bit too complex to be easily manufactured, on the other hand, he's had plenty of time to discuss things with hypothetical scum buddies to come up with something that is complex enough to be credible.

Ernie likely could have begun the duel much earlier in the day, and gotten some serious traction due to the momentum against Exakt, but he delayed. But yet, if Ernie had begun the duel before Exakt's claim, that would have been highly scummy. And yet, with no duel in place, what he's actually managed to achieve is some role fishing, albeit for a role that the scum is not likely to prioritize first.

So, I have to look at the posts, the tenor and the tone and the content.

Ernie. posted:

Ernie. posted:

I think Ernie is genuinely trying to think through the game, here, to try and piece together the setup repercussions of Exakt's role, but I can see this as clear obfuscation to throw off the town. However, I find it highly unlikely that Ernie is actually scum or has access to the number of scum in the game, as it is more likely that Ernie is some form of 3P.

EXAKT Science posted:

I'd honestly much rather you duel Amni, Gamer, or CPig as they're more likely to be scums, but if I lose the duel, then I hope the town look at all of them with a bit more scrutiny.

And this post from Exakt seems very genuine to me as well. Setting up a list of people to look at seems like something that town would do, and there's a genuine sense of willing surrender around the rest of Exakt's posts.

In conclusion, I have to go with my gut and my gut says that Exakt is being earnest about his role, though I'm still less sure about Ernie.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
You guys are over thinking this, Ernie is town.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)

CapitalistPig posted:

You guys are over thinking this, Ernie is town.

Me? Over thinking things? That's impossible!

You're probably right though.

• Locked thread