Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

[–]ryancarnated 3 points 4 minutes ago

Hey everyone, what happened today was very unfortunate, but I think it makes sense for reddit as a company. This was not surprising for those familiar with what's happening at reddit right now, but for those who are unaware, here's the story.

I was hired as cryptocurency engineer as September, for which I left my job at BitPay. I was won-over by the then-CEO Yishan, who had an awesome vision for the future of reddit, including cryptocurrency as the financial system of the internet city that is reddit. However, Yishan suddenly and unexpectedly resigned his position a month or two later, probably due to exhaustion. This was in the midst of great existing turmoil at the company, such as moving the entire, formerly-remote company to SF, raising a new round of $50 million, and celebgate.

More turmoil followed, and new leadership took over the reigns. I have complete confidence in the new leadership, but cryptocurrency is not in their plans. This is not surprising, because they basically have their hands full with all sorts of other stuff. This has nothing to do with the screen shot that was posted the other day.

I'm fairly confident cryptocurrency will return to reddit in the coming years (and of course you can still buy reddit gold with bitcoin), but it will have to wait a while for things to calm down. Meanwhile, best of luck to everyone who will get to witness the new era of reddit from the inside. It was cool to be a part of the historic front-page of the internet, at least for a while. Also, for the record, I'm pretty sure I was the first person in history to have the official title "cryptocurrency engineer".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

fuctifino posted:

Hey everyone, what happened today was very unfortunate, but I think it makes sense for reddit as a company. This was not surprising for those familiar with what's happening at reddit right now, but for those who are unaware, here's the story.

I was hired as cryptocurency engineer as September, for which I left my job at BitPay. I was won-over by the then-CEO Yishan, who had an awesome vision for the future of reddit, including cryptocurrency as the financial system of the internet city that is reddit. However, Yishan suddenly and unexpectedly resigned his position a month or two later, probably due to exhaustion. This was in the midst of great existing turmoil at the company, such as moving the entire, formerly-remote company to SF, raising a new round of $50 million, and celebgate.

More turmoil followed, and new leadership took over the reigns. I have complete confidence in the new leadership, but cryptocurrency is not in their plans. This is not surprising, because they basically have their hands full with all sorts of other stuff. This has nothing to do with the screen shot that was posted the other day.

I'm fairly confident cryptocurrency will return to reddit in the coming years (and of course you can still buy reddit gold with bitcoin), but it will have to wait a while for things to calm down. Meanwhile, best of luck to everyone who will get to witness the new era of reddit from the inside. It was cool to be a part of the historic front-page of the internet, at least for a while. Also, for the record, I'm pretty sure I was the first person in history to have the official title "cryptocurrency engineer".

I'm dying

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

What a surprise, turns out that no one at Reddit actually gave a poo poo about creepy libertarians tipping six cents because of their power tripping tendencies

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

triple sulk posted:

What a surprise, turns out that no one at Reddit actually gave a poo poo about creepy libertarians tipping six cents because of their power tripping tendencies

I'm sure some people gave a poo poo (there are some people at the NYSE that gave a poo poo about coinbase, after all) but also I'm sure they mostly figured "this is kind of like putting money into Napster."

Sure it has some modicum of popularity now, but it's shrinking and will be destroyed by lawsuits in the coming future, so wait until something viable comes out of the underlying technology - which is basically the same in both cases: peer-to-peer networking.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Robawesome posted:

and then quit BitPay to work for reddit, lol

As sad as it may sound, bitpay to reddit is probably a step up. Reddit's a lot more likely to still be around in a year or two.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

ashpanash posted:

I'm sure some people gave a poo poo (there are some people at the NYSE that gave a poo poo about coinbase, after all) but also I'm sure they mostly figured "this is kind of like putting money into Napster."

Sure it has some modicum of popularity now, but it's shrinking and will be destroyed by lawsuits in the coming future, so wait until something viable comes out of the underlying technology - which is basically the same in both cases: peer-to-peer networking.

I can't imagine there is any money to be made off of the tips whatsoever unless you're generally talking about Superman 3/Office Space's fractions of pennies, and the break even point for the R&D involved on Reddit's behalf would probably be 20 years with how little the amounts are. The same people at the NYSE investing in it are basically the same Andreessen types who've been behind it all along because to them a million dollars here or there isn't much to lose beyond the subsequent time they spend shilling it out.

Basically the only people into bitcoins today are the same people who were into them six months ago, a year ago, et cetera. Which kind of goes along with what you were saying about the popularity levels shrinking.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
reddit is also far less likely to be some front of well-funded front organization

was it ever figured out how bitpay makes money?

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

AlbieQuirky posted:

but it's reddit

and bitcoin

there is no expectation of logic in either community

goons hate on reddit way too much as a place, but their leadership is definitely really really bad people so i'm amazed this fell through

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

fuctifino posted:

paging hp hovercraft

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
p sure Satoshi had the official title. Except for trains toot toot

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

FCKGW posted:

https://twitter.com/sarahjeong/status/560857078626279426

nearly all of the Bitcoin transfers from Silk Road servers to ulbrichts personal and server wallets were not tumbled to laundered in any way. sent straight from Silk Road wallet to the wallet on his laptop.

quote:

Silk Road prospective employee interview question list:
What kind of computer do you use (laptop/desktop)?
What model and how old is it?
What OS do you use?
Do you use whole disk encryption?
Do you use a tor bridge?
Do you use a VPN or proxy?
Who in your life knows of your involvement with Silk Road?
Does anyone IRL know you are a mod on the forums?
Does anyone (IRL or here) know I've offered you a promotion?
How long will it take you to wrap up your other responsibilities and begin training?
Are there any major situations in your life that might pull you away from your responsibilities here on short notice
(health, family, etc)?
Do you have an income stream outside of SR?
How do you intend to launder your earnings?

lol

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

it's a trick question, the right answer is "I don't"

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
who is the guy reddit fired and what was he working on that got him fired? stopped reading this thread for a while

e: oh dur the guy in the top of this page haha.

so what was his project for reddit?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Literally reddit, but with bitcoins.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Ricky Bad Posts posted:

so what was his project for reddit?

Reddit Notes. Reddit wanted its own crypto and had no loving idea what they wanted to do with it. They did an AMA and answered literlly nothing.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

his recent project: users can specify a bitcoin address in their profile so as to easily receive bitcoin with the assistance of the site. would probably a) require a money transmitter license of some kind and b) cut into reddit gold money (he said he didn't see them as competitors)

also pretty sure he worked on the reddit notes thing or whatever where reddit said something like "let's give a shitload of shares (but not like legally shares) to people! we have no idea how to do this, btw, we'll keep you updated when we figure it out."

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!

Boxturret posted:

:rip: reddit coin

hahahaha good

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

FMguru posted:

remember when they sent milisatoshis to fbi.gov and the email of that regulator in new york under the logic of "since you now own bitcoins, you cant prosecute anyone else without first prosecuting yourselves roflmao"?
reboot of the mikado sounding pretty lame

fool_of_sound posted:

Now there was a day when the sons of Bitcoin came to present themselves before the VER and Karpeles came also among them. And the VER said unto Karpeles, Whence comest thou? Then Karpeles answered the VER, and said, From going to and fro in the 'net, and from posting up and down in it. And the VER said unto Karpeles, Hast thou considered my servant Ross, that there is none like him in the earth, a perfect and a brilliant man, one that loveth Coins, and escheweth government? Then Karpeles answered the VER, and said, Doth Ross love Coins for naught? Hast not they made an hedge about him, and about his house, and about all that he hath on every side? they hast blessed the work of his servers, and his substance is increased in his wallet. But put forth their hand now, and touch all that he hath, and he will curse them to thy face. And the VER said unto Karpeles, Behold, all that he hath is in thy power; only upon himself put not forth thine hand. So Karpeles went forth from the presence of the VER.
this didn't get nearly enough love

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

https://archive.today/ryanxcharles.com

financial advice from fired cryptocurrency engineer: Hold More Bitcoins Than You Can Afford to Lose

quadpus
May 15, 2004

aaag sheets

SynthOrange posted:

Sarah Jeong @sarahjeong · 2h 2 hours ago
As we know from pretrial material, FriendlyChemist was blackmailing DPR with vendors' personal info. But he did it because he was in trouble

FriendlyChemist was the supplier to major LSD vendor lucydrops, which was actually two people. The Bad lucydrops scammed FC.

FC flipped out because he now owed the Hells Angels 700k. Believing DPR was in on it, he began with the blackmail threats.

His messages were incredibly erratic and riddled with typoes but apparently Hells Angels were showing up at his kids' school.

Hells Angels eventually contacts DPR. On Silk Road.

And then DPR has the gall to pitch SR as a point of distribution to Hells Angels.

That's about as far as we got today but we know from pretrial that DPR then orders a hit, but police never find a corresponding murder.

Sarah Jeong @sarahjeong · 46m 46 minutes ago
The story of this case is basically being told through chat logs, forum posts, private messages, e-mails, spreadsheets, journals.

Sarah Jeong @sarahjeong · 47m 47 minutes ago
It’s so incredible that there are six alleged hits ordered and no bodies to be found. Brings new meaning to no victim, no crime.

Sarah Jeong @sarahjeong · 45m 45 minutes ago
It’s incredibly dark subject matter peppered with bad jokes and emoticons. There’s an unreal feeling to it.

pretty sure this was still just some people scamming an extremely gullible dpr.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

ashpanash posted:

it's kind of like how "some people at the nyse" also gave a poo poo about pets.com and mortgage backed securities

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Muscle Tracer posted:

it's kind of like how

lol no it's not dumbass

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

like food and water, my posting has no intrinsic value

I can't believe they fired the reddit notes man. he started a wiki and everything.

who knew the answer to "how can we pay shares to our users without getting in trouble" was "hire lawyers" and not "hire a programmer?"

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
ross has single handedly built the a rock solid case against himself. holy poo poo. he actually journaled the occasions he publicly denied being DPR? it's downright satirical

and the frat party date and the judge getting sick of his lawyers poo poo and karpales for /r/buttcoin mod and oh jesus

thank you bitcoin

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

TVarmy posted:

I can't believe they fired the reddit notes man. he started a wiki and everything.

who knew the answer to "how can we pay shares to our users without getting in trouble" was "hire lawyers" and not "hire a programmer?"

Instead of getting a money transmitter license, they should just get a creative commons license.

That covers everything.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

buy some reddit gold with guitar picks

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

FCKGW posted:

I feel this guy is going to turn into the nicsho of reddit

he's just way too excited about this crazy Bitcoin scheme of his

Boxturret posted:

:rip: reddit coin

welp

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

Do you think the appeal will have much success or is this more just due diligence of a defense attorney even in a hopeless case?

Nope, he's so completely hosed I think even if something gets in that shouldn't have the appeals court will consider it a harmless error because he's so, so, so obviously guilty.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Trig Discipline posted:

yospos: It’s incredibly dark subject matter peppered with bad jokes and emoticons

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

i don't really understand why just letting users list their addresses would require a license. would it require one if they just had a freeform bio field and people started putting addresses in?

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

vOv posted:

i don't really understand why just letting users list their addresses would require a license. would it require one if they just had a freeform bio field and people started putting addresses in?

it was more than that, like integrated with up/down votes

or maybe that was bitcoine's masturbating over it idk

although that's what the programmer was doing so...

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
it was supposed to involve integrated tipping or something too, so reddit would end up facilitating those transactions

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Verdafolio posted:

look at all that bouncing back

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

T I P P I N G

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

triple sulk posted:

T I P P I N G

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

SynthOrange posted:

As we know from pretrial material, FriendlyChemist was blackmailing DPR with vendors' personal info. But he did it because he was in trouble

FriendlyChemist was the supplier to major LSD vendor lucydrops, which was actually two people. The Bad lucydrops scammed FC.

FC flipped out because he now owed the Hells Angels 700k. Believing DPR was in on it, he began with the blackmail threats.

His messages were incredibly erratic and riddled with typoes but apparently Hells Angels were showing up at his kids' school.

Hells Angels eventually contacts DPR. On Silk Road.

And then DPR has the gall to pitch SR as a point of distribution to Hells Angels.

That's about as far as we got today but we know from pretrial that DPR then orders a hit, but police never find a corresponding murder.

Sarah Jeong @sarahjeong · 46m 46 minutes ago
The story of this case is basically being told through chat logs, forum posts, private messages, e-mails, spreadsheets, journals.

Sarah Jeong @sarahjeong · 47m 47 minutes ago
It’s so incredible that there are six alleged hits ordered and no bodies to be found. Brings new meaning to no victim, no crime.

Sarah Jeong @sarahjeong · 45m 45 minutes ago
It’s incredibly dark subject matter peppered with bad jokes and emoticons. There’s an unreal feeling to it.

thi sis going to be one hell of a made-for-tv-movie

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
just the tip

just

the

tip

#justthetip

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

Delaware wants to put driver's license in smartphones. Is BTC applicable for this? (engadget.com)

submitted 49 minutes ago by paultower

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

what the gently caress does that even mean

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

duTrieux. posted:

what the gently caress does that even mean

Fake IDs, but with bitcoins

• Locked thread