Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Welp, there goes my hope of any bonus Jurnal points this month. :orks:

Talking of which:

:orks101: Oath Complete! :orks101:

Jurnal is the big symbol on the belly (I wish these things came with flat plates instead of stupid moulded skulls):

Also I entered NTRabbit's January One Off Prize Draw with the number on the right shoulder:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Jesus-suffering-gently caress. I don't know why I play this game anymore. I can't win.

(I know winning isn't the point, but free minis are always fun)

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.
OATH COMPLETE!
Oh wow. I waited way too long to post my finished oath.

Here's some freehand for the jurnal.

After doing this one lovely design, I can't even wrap my head around how some of you do this poo poo. Ah, well, it's very inspiring work.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
Oath Complete!

The Martians are coming!

Only the brave but horribly outgunned soldiers of the American Army can stop them! the Journal is the struck through tripod and the badly painted tally marks - although that may be an exaggeration, what with US survivability rates against the Martians.

That's my Strike a Pose image!

Your Move, my big brained but verbally challenged friends.

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011

Signal posted:

Cool poo poo

I love this thread, the page has some fantastic work. Nice one all of you.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Holy poo poo :stonklol:

Indolent Bastard posted:

Jesus-suffering-gently caress. I don't know why I play this game anymore. I can't win.

Welcome to the club, I've made badly painted badges for everyone

LaikatheSpaceDog
May 1, 2014

Thank you so much, y'all! I'm a little overwhelmed!

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead
Oath Completed!

Claiming the Jurnal for the freehand heraldry on the Knight.

Also claiming themed group for the glade guard.

Vermintide
Oct 26, 2013

OATH COMPLETE

Claiming the Journal for Skull-guy's banner, the Monthly Prize Draw with the numbers on the other banner, and Fly Your Flag if I haven't picked that one already.

Red Shoe
Apr 16, 2005

Brogies in arms!
Oath complete!

A themed group and this month's journal, Trollkin Champions

Nephilim Bloodseer

Gorax

Deathjack

Lizardmen

Schmetterling
Apr 1, 2011

Oath Complete!

Space Opera, diorama edition!

The stage by itself:

And that's not all! See, I've got an Arduino and some LEDs

and my breadboard is conveniently just the right size to fit under the stage!

So, the breadboard goes underthe stage, and the cables all poke out from this conveniently placed bendable flap!

The LEDs poke out through the hole in the stage, and ka-bam! Lightshow!

It's a little silly, but I made some Vines of the lights in action, with appropriate audio.

https://vine.co/v/OtrUB07mVKY
https://vine.co/v/OtrTJD57alI
https://vine.co/v/OtrIghgra0h

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
double post

Ugleb fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jan 31, 2015

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

LaikatheSpaceDog posted:

Thank you so much, y'all! I'm a little overwhelmed!

You're overwhelmed? Our jaws are bruised from hitting our keyboards! :aaaaa:

Schmetterling posted:

It's a little silly, but I made some Vines of the lights in action, with appropriate audio.

Well played sir, well played!

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.
:stonk:

Hard to follow those acts...

Oath Complete!

Journal: Freehand = :science: and the legion numerals on one of the pads.
Does Themeded group count? I doubt the horses count as a sperate mini since they are all on same base. Serves me right for not oathing 5 I suppose.

Backstory
The 8th legion has been scattered for generations. Their Primarch is dead and their structure has been split into raiding parties and warbands. Their resources mostly come from the dead, friend or foe. But in some places they find suitable replacements for imperial forgeworlds. This usually come from the warp.

Warp beasts come in many shapes and sizes, with a range of nefarious desires. Lucky for this roaming band of Night Lords they were gifted warp-horses shortly after loosing just about all their bikes in battle. The warp-horses took to their riders like a glove, seeming to bond with their mind. Though there must be a cost for merging with such foul creatures, this lot of 8th legionaries didn't seem to mind. You could almost say they loved the steeds.

One legionary took to the runt of the litter. To call a helstalion a runt is a bit outrageous, but it was clearly smaller and less gifted than its brothers. This warp-horse had no tail, no horns and no spines on its legs. Its eyes were glowing green and its spit was foul poison, but this legionary saw sadness in its eyes. After a few battles this rider noticed something small in the back of his mind. This rider felt... jealous of the other horses, especially for their tails. Their tails were heavy whips of crimson and just as coarse, a mortal beast would uses these to swat flies, I bet these daemons used them to swat.. daemon flies. The legionary never needed to use such an rudimentary tool as the steed's tail in battle, so he knew this emotion must have bled over from his linked partner.

The before the next battle he walked over to his steed. The horse looked over with a touch of melancholy, though it was hard to read in the face of such a beast. It resembled a child reluctantly preparing for another day of elementary school. The rider was carrying some chains, nothing too unusual for a member or the 8th legion. But because of the link, the horse became happy, it knew what was coming...

A tail. The runt now had a tail, just like the other beasts. He fit in. That battle the two were the first to the front, with the chain-tail flailing in the faces of the other beasts.
:3:

WhiteOutMouse fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jan 31, 2015

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Schmetterling posted:

Oath Complete!

The stage by itself:

And that's not all! See, I've got an Arduino and some LEDs

and my breadboard is conveniently just the right size to fit under the stage!

So, the breadboard goes underthe stage, and the cables all poke out from this conveniently placed bendable flap!

The LEDs poke out through the hole in the stage, and ka-bam! Lightshow!

You gotta program it to time the lights to the music like the Transiberian Orchestra + Christmas Lights houses :buddy:

counterspin
Apr 2, 2010

Oath Complete

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

OATH COMPLETE!

The full oath, which is actually a small Dropzone Army... Not that it would win a game, but still. I have altered my army colour scheme from last month and picked the cockpits out in silver. I think it works better.

The Command squad of heavy walkers.

I painted one squad with red helmets as I wanted a way to mark out my designated Forward Air Command unit from the rest. I did try giving the base a silver trim but it looked a bit off so I went for picking out helmets instead.

As I oathed turret options, here they be!

I am also claiming themed group which I could claim in several ways I think, I have the infantry with transports and the walkers with dropships, or the whole lot as a field read skirmish force!

Edit - I really need to figure out a better way/place to take my pics, I'm struggling with shadows and brightness. :/

Deanut Pancer
Nov 24, 2012
Oath complete!

Jurnal is the freehand banner of his volcanic mountain (see backstory), for which I'm also claiming Fly Your Flag

One-off 2015 prize is the 2015 painted on the gold chestplate

Backstory
Maximinus Metallius Xylo V was the last loyal member of his chapter, the Pale Templars. After his former brothers were lost to the ruinous powers, he shed his old colours and vowed to never speak of them again. Now he sits alone on the volcanic Mount Monitorus, silently looking down in judgement on the rest of the world. The only reminder of his old identity are the initials forged in to his golden chestplate.
(This is basically a fluffy RP version of how I bought this model from a friend who was quitting the hobby, and then stripped and painted him up so he can sit on my desk)

ForkBanger
Jul 19, 2007

:siren:Oath Complete!:siren:

One madman with a gatling gun.

Haydrian
Sep 30, 2001
Paid way too much for what I do.
OATH COMPLETE!

Been planning on using the Boar Boys that I won earlier this year for 40K, I need to figure out a way to model a heavier gun onto the boar itself.

Inquisitor's Journal for this month are the trampled road signs that our fearless duo are galloping across, the red bit is supposed to be an Aquilla but due to bad planning it's upside-down.

Ledgem
Oct 20, 2010
OATH COMPLETE

Jurnal

Label on the bottle; Wrong Eye enjoys his Banana Liqueur.

Schmetterling
Apr 1, 2011

Schmetterling posted:

Oath Complete!

I forgot to mention in the post, but the Jurnal is the stars on the stage and her dress, and this is also my diorama.
I guess it's too much to hope that the back of a scratch built stage could also count as a flag for bonus points purposes?

Magres posted:

You gotta program it to time the lights to the music like the Transiberian Orchestra + Christmas Lights houses :buddy:
I could totally do that :D and it would be even fancier if I used the rgb led properly for rainbows, instead of just telling the board that it's just three LEDs and running the same simple flashing program as usual.

Ugleb posted:

Well played sir, well played!
Thank you! I hoped the homage of "blue space opera alien" would be pretty obvious, but decided to add the music anyway.
(And not to nitpick but I'm a lady)

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Schmetterling posted:

I could totally do that :D and it would be even fancier if I used the rgb led properly for rainbows, instead of just telling the board that it's just three LEDs and running the same simple flashing program as usual.

Also not nitpicking, but in all of the vines only 5 of the 6 understage green LEDs actually light up, the one on the right always stays off

Schmetterling
Apr 1, 2011

NTRabbit posted:

Also not nitpicking, but in all of the vines only 5 of the 6 understage green LEDs actually light up, the one on the right always stays off

Oops, I must have bumped it when I was putting the stage over it. Still, it works as proof-of-concept. I'd redo it but I'm packing to go to Sydney tomorrow! :yayclod:

lovestick
Feb 11, 2006

~30303030303~

Oath Complete!

Journal is the freehand PanO logo on a couple of the shoulders.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Oath complete!

I am claiming Jurnal on the Chapter symbol I traced on my Space Marine's shoulderpad. It's supposed to be two golden hands cupping a drop of blood, but I wasn't very good at the hands thing, and at the most charitable they could be said to resemble wings. I think if I keep on with it for my other dudes I'm going to look into how to do custom transfers :saddowns:

I'm also going to claim Backstory with some bad Warhammer 40k fic about my marine and what he's up to.

quote:

Brother-Initiate Turon stood in the dim corridor, a pervasive glow filling the space. Moisture dripped from the ceiling and fleshy tendrils slowly flexed around his feet. The remaining members of his squad had taken positions behind projecting bulkheads further back down the corridor, remaining partially in cover as they leveled their bolters down the corridor.

You must be the bulwark, Captain Lanziel had said to him, his Cataphractii armor growling and hissing, the remaining members of Alpha Squad shifting behind him. Alpha Squad was further into the bowels of the space hulk, searching out the transmission that had called them there.

They had come across a Tyranid nest and purged it in bolter shell, plasma, and flame, but the death shrieks of the xenos had been answered in kind from elsewhere in the hulk, and they could hear the sounds of pursuit. They had chosen this corridor to serve as the killing ground for the pursuers, to give Alpha Squad time to do their duty and extract. The techmarine accompanying them had informed them in his crackling voice that this corridor was formerly part of a Necron craft, and while it may have been colonized by the spreading flesh-matrix that characterized Tyranid infestations, it would have been inimical to them and they would have abstained from burrowing through the superstructure. There was one path the Tyranids could take, and that was into the line of sight of their guns.

Turon had already issued the instructions. One plasma cannon blast to vaporize the crest of the wave. Bolter fire to suppress while the plasma cannon cooled. Another plasma shot. On and on until the Tyranids were dying at his very feet, and then it would become a bloody melee.

The screeching and scrabbling grew closer. Turon opened the vox to his squad.

"Sanguinius stood before the Eternity Gate."
"He did not fall," the squad replied as one.
"The enemy is before us."
"We shall not falter."

Brother-Initiate Turon lifted his plasma cannon.

Pyrolocutus fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Feb 1, 2015

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
I'm so sorry Pyrolocutus, but I definitely see Goatse on that guy's shoulder

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Magres posted:

I'm so sorry Pyrolocutus, but I definitely see Goatse on that guy's shoulder

:suicide:

Android
Apr 20, 2012

Beep Boop Zorp
Oath Complete!

Claiming Jurnal for designs on the sombero. Tried using zenithal priming and airbrushing on the slashers to try and speed up the process and I'm not super happy with how they turned out , but more practice is good.
Here is Herberto de Luna Striking a pose with some associated backstory.

Ex-bandito turned rancher Herberto de Luna steps out onto his porch and adjusts his sombrero. He peers into the dim daylight, the morning sun inviting him to another day on the ranch. Crab Ranch, he calls it. It's his ranch, and his personal pride and joy. People thought he was crazy. Who would want to eat crabs? Lousy crustaceans.

Herberto walks to the crab barn to see what's new. Within all seems to be normal at first... but it soon becomes clear that all is not well. Panic splashes him like a kelp-tainted spray of seawater. Three crabs have mutated! Horrific flute-like appendages sprout from their backs. Their claws have devolved into terrible giant claws. Their eyes... their eyes are the same as a crab's have always been: black shiny eyes that know no touch of pity.

As luck would have it, Herberto's past has lead him to never go anywhere without a fistful of dynamite. His grip tightens...

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

OATH COMPLETE

Jounral is the dress on Melpomene.

FROOOOOOOOG
Jan 28, 2009
OATH COMPLETE

Claiming Journal on the emblems on the skeletons' shields, and also Themed Group for the three mummies and two Egyptian-esque skellies.

Galaspar
Aug 20, 2006
Will reign this way again
Oath Complete!

For the Freehand Jurnal, each model has squad markings on his shoulder pad.

It's the Tau numeral for 15

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

:mmmsmug: OATH COMPLETE :mmmsmug:

Ack ack ack! Ack ack ack ack.

ACK ACK ACK! ACK! ACK! Ack ack ack ack ack ack, ack ack ack
(Claiming the Journal with the freehand markers indicating this martian has killed 5 earthlings, and 2 of the four legged battle beasts they house in agrarian regions)

Rebs Strider

Teraton

Team Sorak, assemble!

Team Yndij, assemble... too

Team Zee... also assemble, and stop stealing stuff

Judwan Medic doesn't need a team

Claiming Themed Group for all the members of my Rebs strike team, the Wirrawee Irregulars

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

NTRabbit posted:

:mmmsmug: OATH COMPLETE :mmmsmug:

Ack ack ack! Ack ack ack ack.

ACK ACK ACK! ACK! ACK! Ack ack ack ack ack ack, ack ack ack

Holy gently caress there's a Mars Attacks! miniatures game?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

ijyt posted:

Holy gently caress there's a Mars Attacks! miniatures game?

Why yes there is! It's built on a cut down Deadzone engine, so it's really fast and fun and has modular terrain and full fluff backing. Plus they released decks that let you take the Martians and the Humans into Deadzone proper, and play with the full ruleset. We talk about it in the Mantic thread sometimes.

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER
Oath failed again :( I bit more than I could chew and the CSM dinosaur robot is a bitch to paint.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!
Oath Failed! I got very close, but it was a busy month :(

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Oath failed. Partially from mismanaged time, and partially from GW taking a look at my miscast champ, saying "interesting" and never replying :argh:

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
FIXING MY MISSING IMAGES

Indolent Bastard posted:

I Indolent Bastard oath 8 6mm Viking Bowmen(Baccus Miniatures) and 1 Ork Nob (Citadel Miniatures/Games Workshop)

Indolent Bastard posted:

:vomarine: December oath completed! :vomarine:

Claiming themed group.

Claiming INQUISITOR'S JOURNAL: WEATHERING!

Using my own custom rust wash on all the metal, then sponging on dark brown and terra cotta paints I get my corroded Death Skull Orkz!

Indolent Bastard posted:

I Indolent Bastard oath 8 6mm Viking Spearmen (Baccus Miniatures) and 1 Ork MegaNob with Grots (Citadel Miniatures/Games Workshop)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Wow. OK. Some seriously amazing stuff coming through :)

I'm at the Nurnberg Toy Fair this past week so I haven't had much time or internet connection, but I'll give you this next month's Inquisitor's Journal theme, which is 'break the 4th wall'.

Like last year, this involves somehow adding something to your model, paint or base that is outside the normal genre of any the model you Oath this month. You can sculpt it, add a bit, do a conversion, paint it, or whatever. (added for clarity) You only have to do this to one model to qualify for the Journal.

There are a lot of cross-genre models and game settings out there, so there's a LOT of leeway for this Journal. If you have any questions just pipe up, it's OK.

I'll update this post with SRM's fantastic art and the storyline as soon as I can.

krushgroove fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Feb 5, 2015

• Locked thread