Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."
Anyone who thinks GRRM has any say over what HBO does with their hundred million dollar media property probably also thinks the books will be finished one day.

sunday at work fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jan 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Klungar posted:

Can you imagine HBO being willing to make a contract with GRRM that gives such decision-making powers on their multi-million dollar franchise to him? The only way this thing gets made at all is if HBO runs the show completely. They'll go on without him and not give it a second thought.

There was no way to tell how popular it would be at that time, I would be willing to bet that back then they would consider being popular enough to run that many seasons a good problem to have. I would also be willing to bet that the guys who run the show aren't idiots and they have a contingency plan in place for when the show overtakes GRRM. Whether or not that plan was calibrated to the expectations of a show THIS big, who knows. Doing something like saying "We're working towards and revealing the ending of your original work without you" is just begging to get sued.

I honestly have no idea how they're going to solve this and see no solutions that aren't going to cause some hilarious dust up.

In fact the result I see as least likely to cause harm to everyone is for GRRM to release TWOW at some point and then say "I'm sorry I can't keep up, more people like the show than my books, The TV show is going to finish the story and I'll release the books later". Possibly via a massive HBO payoff.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Intel&Sebastian posted:

There was no way to tell how popular it would be at that time, I would be willing to bet that back then they would consider being popular enough to run that many seasons a good problem to have. I would also be willing to bet that the guys who run the show aren't idiots and they have a contingency plan in place for when the show overtakes GRRM. Whether or not that plan was calibrated to the expectations of a show THIS big, who knows. Doing something like saying "We're working towards and revealing the ending of your original work without you" is just begging to get sued.

I honestly have no idea how they're going to solve this and see no solutions that aren't going to cause some hilarious dust up.

In fact the result I see as least likely to cause harm to everyone is for GRRM to release TWOW at some point and then say "I'm sorry I can't keep up, more people like the show than my books, The TV show is going to finish the story and I'll release the books later". Possibly via a massive HBO payoff.

It was said before the show even started that Grrm told the show runners how everything was gonna end just in case they had to move ahead. They're finishing the series with our without him, and since they will be done before him their ending will be canon and grrm can just write his little fanfic in his own time.

Edit:
Here ya go, before this spirals into a retarded derail.
http://m.hollywoodreporter.com/entry/view/id/216749

Solice Kirsk fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jan 30, 2015

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Solice Kirsk posted:

It was said before the show even started that Grrm told the show runners how everything was gonna end just in case they had to move ahead. They're finishing the series with our without him, and since they will be done before him their ending will be canon and grrm can just write his little fanfic in his own time.

I was under the impression it was in case he was unable to finish but It's just as likely as any other explanation of what they're going to do. In that, every single scenario I can think of makes me go :psyduck:

If I was GRRM though I would be very very afraid after I saw things like the Hound/Brienne fight. The show keeps streamlining and improving the plot in ways that should have him soiling his suspendered Dependers.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Solice Kirsk posted:

Edit:

And there's the historical irony of the whole thing; after years of vehement disgust of fan fiction, GRRM will end up writing what is essentially an alternate universe/alternate ending fan fiction of the most popular TV show of all time which probably >20% of its total audience will ever read.

From here on out the only difference between GRRM and JamiexBrienne420* on FanFiction.net is that GRRM will get royalties for whatever he writes that's set in the GoT world. ...And JamiexBrienne420* will finish their 400,000 word fan ending to the series before GRRM will.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Solice Kirsk posted:

Edit:

I think far too much emphasis has been put on the whole 'GURRM gave them the ending' thing. If he gave them enough of an outline of what happens to everyone, including the broadstrokes of how they get there, he'd be able to loving finish the books himself already. He probably just blurted out any old poo poo to get those sweet HBO bucks.

The best thing would be if the show explicitly states that they are going their own way now. That way, they can finish the series in two or three seasons and work to a TV budget without worrying about all the epic world ending stuff GRRM probably has in mind for the conclusion. Book fans can then rest happy knowing it's an alternate timeline and they can read the real ending in the future books (that will never be released, but hey).

Blind Melon
Jan 3, 2006
I like fire, you can have some too.

Lycus posted:

It has long been certain that the show will finish before the books. The remaining question is: will Season 6 air before Book 6 is released?

Yes. Any more questions?

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Doing something like saying "We're working towards and revealing the ending of your original work without you" is just begging to get sued.

Man, I hope so. Any situation where GURM sues HBO or HBO sues GURM or any combination of dueling lawyers and invested parties would suit me just fine. Giggles all the way.

And I would kill to see the contract our sometime author signed with HBO. I'll bet it's a hoot.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I think he knows where it needs to go and how a lot of the characters end up, but since he doesn't write its just not down on paper/MSDOS.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Junkenstein posted:

I think far too much emphasis has been put on the whole 'GURRM gave them the ending' thing. If he gave them enough of an outline of what happens to everyone, including the broadstrokes of how they get there, he'd be able to loving finish the books himself already.

He would find a way. The books are filled up with waaaaaaaay more than just these broad plot moves. And it's not like he just told them the end and then hosed off, I'm guessing he's told them his intentions for characters by now or else they'd be making this last season or two without knowing why they're doing things to certain characters and what it means to their arcs. They also wouldn't be brave enough to do something like leave out lady stoneheart if they feared she was going to end up as queen in kings landing somehow.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Intel&Sebastian posted:

He would find a way. The books are filled up with waaaaaaaay more than just these broad plot moves. And it's not like he just told them the end and then hosed off, I'm guessing he's told them his intentions for characters by now or else they'd be making this last season or two without knowing why they're doing things to certain characters and what it means to their arcs. They also wouldn't be brave enough to do something like leave out lady stoneheart if they feared she was going to end up as queen in kings landing somehow.

Didn't he throw a hissy fit when they killed off that Dothraki dude in who ends up running into Dany at the end of Dance? He's also gone on about butterfly effects and all that.

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock

sunday at work posted:

That's it then. No chance - at all - the books finish before the show. None. It's over. We are going to find out how it all ends on the show. Did the publisher realize that was what they were saying? They would have been better off saying nothing at all.

I hate to break it to you, but that ship sailed like, the day the show began.

Think about it, say by some miracle TWOW came out last year. It would still be at least 5-6 years before the next book came out. The show would be over by then anyway.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
The only thing that could make this any funnier is TWOW actually being good.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

nine-gear crow posted:

And there's the historical irony of the whole thing; after years of vehement disgust of fan fiction, GRRM will end up writing what is essentially an alternate universe/alternate ending fan fiction of the most popular TV show of all time which probably >20% of its total audience will ever read.

From here on out the only difference between GRRM and JamiexBrienne420* on FanFiction.net is that GRRM will get royalties for whatever he writes that's set in the GoT world. ...And JamiexBrienne420* will finish their 400,000 word fan ending to the series before GRRM will.

He hates fanfiction but wrote about Jaime Lannister fighting Hermione from Harry Potter.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I don't find that plausible at all

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
This part in particular

Ague Proof posted:

He...wrote

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
Every time I hear about how the book isn't coming out I have a little more respect for an author like Joe Abercrombie who has put out a book almost every year and they are all good at worst.

Abercrombie's first book came out in 2006. Since then he's released The First Law trilogy, 3 standalone books in the same universe and the first book of a new trilogy. Book two comes out in a few weeks and the conclusion to this new trilogy will be by the end of the year according to internet. So by the end of the year he'll be up to hopefully 9 books and I have no reason to believe he will not because he's been so consistent.

Martin finished Feast for Crows in 2005 and since that time has put out one book.

Rothfuss put out Name of the Wind in 2007 and has since put out one book.

Step your game up fantasy writers. Abercrombie is making you look like chumps!

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Timett posted:

Martin finished Feast for Crows in 2005 and since that time has put out one book.

That wasn't a finished book it was one half of a book that can barely be described as finished even today.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Ague Proof posted:

He hates fanfiction but wrote about Jaime Lannister fighting Hermione from Harry Potter.

An example of this type of Grrmocrisy that I like even better is how he did those Dying Earth anthologies with Gardner Dozxuier and the rest of his Wild Cards crew.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I would laugh soooooooo hard if he forced the HBO show into a hiatus.

You're joking right? Why do you think the show's creators were told the ending for the books? Even GURM knew they'd get to TWOW before he does*. Besides HBO would have the fans on their side in any dispute where GURM says to stop the show and HBO tells him to go get hosed and die of shitdick. Once HBO started the show the only way it was going to end is if HBO pulled the plug. At this rate HBO will probably finish ASOIAF and exploit a loophole in the contract to allow them to keep making more seasons. Since they've started diverting from the book so much it's not like their writers won't have experience making things up.

Plus if they need some good writing talent to keep it all going then HBO could go for the gently caress You GURM hattrick of hiring Brandon Sanderson to write more plot and story for HBO's A Game of Thrones. Then in Season 8 as ASOIAF winds down HBO announces that the lead character of Season 9, Hoid, has been cast. :getin:

*alternately: GURM decided he doesn't want to write books and signed up with HBO fully intending to have them write the last two books for him, while paying him shitloads of money.

fanged wang
Nov 1, 2014

by Ralp
thx for the robin hobb rec she's like the anti-gurm

like instead of flipping all the lame old fantasy tropes upside down to blow your mind and gently caress with your expectations she just uses them really well to tell a good story about likable and interesting characters

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

fanged wang posted:

thx for the robin hobb rec she's like the anti-gurm

like instead of flipping all the lame old fantasy tropes upside down to blow your mind and gently caress with your expectations she just uses them really well to tell a good story about likable and interesting characters

her other fantasy thing thats not in the farseer set or whatever is cool too. its like insane body horror poo poo but also other things

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

jsoh posted:

her other fantasy thing thats not in the farseer set or whatever is cool too. its like insane body horror poo poo but also other things

Is that the one with fat magic?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Once I finish with Mistborn (probably 1/3 to 1/5 through Hero of Ages atm) wouldit be better to start on Hobbs (and which series) or another Sandersen line? I've already read the two Stormlight Archives books.

jax
Jun 18, 2001

I love my brick.

Evil Fluffy posted:

I've already read the two Stormlight Archives books.

Start on the Farseer Trilogy next then.

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*

SaviourX posted:

Iain Banks is dead?!

Eh?
Hearing, I mean hearing.

And I was referring to Glenn, the other Iain mentioned, who did the Princess and the Queen and would be good doing the rest of the ASoIaF series.

Big Bug Hug fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Jan 31, 2015

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Evil Fluffy posted:

Once I finish with Mistborn (probably 1/3 to 1/5 through Hero of Ages atm) wouldit be better to start on Hobbs (and which series) or another Sandersen line? I've already read the two Stormlight Archives books.

Alloy of Law is pretty short and the only downside is that you want more.

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses

Intel&Sebastian posted:

That wasn't a finished book it was one half of a book that can barely be described as finished even today.

I don't think it's entirely inaccurate to say he's released one (arguably incomplete) book since 2000 :(

The show still has nearly two full "books" to get through. Assuming they keep doing about one book worth of content per year then that gives GRRM a bit over four calendar years to pinch off his ending, e.g. TWoW releases in the first half of 2016 when the show version of ADWD is airing/upcoming, then two years from then to get ADoS out, assuming the books end there. Add on another year for each book they split to two seasons.

Doesn't sound unreasonable if you ignore the fact that he now takes 5-6 years to write a book.

I'm actually really interested to see what they do with the show for the next couple seasons, presumably covering all or most of AFFC and ADWD. They get poo poo on by us, the fans, but I still think there's a good book lurking among them if you add an actual climax.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Ross posted:

I don't think it's entirely inaccurate to say he's released one (arguably incomplete) book since 2000 :(

The show still has nearly two full "books" to get through. Assuming they keep doing about one book worth of content per year then that gives GRRM a bit over four calendar years to pinch off his ending, e.g. TWoW releases in the first half of 2016 when the show version of ADWD is airing/upcoming, then two years from then to get ADoS out, assuming the books end there. Add on another year for each book they split to two seasons.

Doesn't sound unreasonable if you ignore the fact that he now takes 5-6 years to write a book.

I'm actually really interested to see what they do with the show for the next couple seasons, presumably covering all or most of AFFC and ADWD. They get poo poo on by us, the fans, but I still think there's a good book lurking among them if you add an actual climax.

The show is definitely doing AFFC and ADWD this season. They're even going a bit into the released TWoW chapters. Mercy is gonna be this season.

Saeka
Jul 2, 2007

I'm a man that loves the simple things. Sunhats. Boba. Dresses.

Ross posted:

ADWD/AFFC content is pretty much confirmed to be done with by the end of the season.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Yeah, we're getting the Walk of Shame at the very least. Though I wouldn't be shocked to see a bit of AFFC/ADWD material wait until S6.

I still want to know how it if they're doing Lady Stoneheart. After catching up with the books I would be totally on board with the concept of just not doing the Merrett Frey scene. From there, you build up the stories and rumors about Stoneheart the way AFFC did, then make her meeting with Brienne her show introduction. Honestly, part of me thinks that could work better.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013
its ironic that asos took 2 seasons but affc and adwd can both be combined into one. just goes to show how little quality content there actually is in those books.

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses
Wait so the show is covering both of AFFC and ADWD this year?

If so then yeah no chance whatsoever even if he writes at Books 1-3 pace.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Ross posted:

Wait so the show is covering both of AFFC and ADWD this year?

If so then yeah no chance whatsoever even if he writes at Books 1-3 pace.

It already covered half of that material last season fwiw.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Evil Fluffy posted:

*alternately: GURM decided he doesn't want to write books and signed up with HBO fully intending to have them write the last two books for him, while paying him shitloads of money.

This has been my firm belief the moment the show was greenlit.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...

Koirhor posted:

This has been my firm belief the moment the show was greenlit.

I had hope that the show would light a fire under him and provide sort of forced deadlines. After the show had been out for a couple seasons I realized that instead the pressure was of him since he knew his story was going to be told.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

It's hard to give a poo poo about your legacy when there are dozens of girls to creep on at cons.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

Saeka posted:

ADWD/AFFC content is pretty much confirmed to be done with by the end of the season.

Yup. There will be some carry over, but not a lot. Funny bit: HBO will be shooting the next season in a few months. Which means HBO's writers have probably already surpassed GURM in terms of TWOW.

fanged wang
Nov 1, 2014

by Ralp

jsoh posted:

savinhill posted:

Is that the one with fat magic?

can yall be a little more specific

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The BBC had an article up yesterday basically going over what we'd already seen from his editor saying 2015 is a no-go for Winds.

They foolishly decided to head the article with "Next book in 2016".
How hopeful of them.