Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Friar Zucchini posted:

Sure, as long as I'm fighting one with the 8.1 or a V10 Excursion :v:

That 6.0 really sips fuel though, about as much as I sip alcohol. (i.e. chugs it) But hey, it goes like a bat out of hell. And yes, I have low standards - the last Suburban I had was about the same on gas but the gas pedal was an on/off switch unless you like to creep around at 20mph.

My uncle and I rented a 16ft box truck from Penske to get some motorcycles back from NC and with the 6.0 on my leg of the trip I was able to squeeze 14mpg out of it. The GenIII engines are amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Rust Into Pieces.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

El Scotch posted:

Heated underground parking means I lose by default.

It's ok, we don't have any snow out here in the great frozen northwest above the 45th parallel either. It was in the 60s this past weekend.

I suppose I could put a couple ice cubes on top of my car and take a sympathy pic for all the posters whose cars will be replaced by a pile of iron oxide by next week. :shobon:

blk
Dec 19, 2009

HotCanadianChick posted:

I suppose I could put a couple ice cubes on top of my car and take a sympathy pic

Goddammit, I was going to do this on the Miata tomorrow

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

HotCanadianChick posted:

It's ok, we don't have any snow out here in the great frozen northwest above the 45th parallel either. It was in the 60s this past weekend.

I suppose I could put a couple ice cubes on top of my car and take a sympathy pic for all the posters whose cars will be replaced by a pile of iron oxide by next week. :shobon:

It was seventyfuckingtwo yesterday in Denver. My car has been clean for almost a week at this point. It's crazy out here.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Does that snowfoam stuff work well?

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

veedubfreak posted:

It was seventyfuckingtwo yesterday in Denver. My car has been clean for almost a week at this point. It's crazy out here.
It's weird to me that a warm spell in winter means your car is clean. Every car here has been utterly filthy for a week because the melted slush on the roads means all of the dirt and grime and poo poo (literally - dog poo poo doesn't get picked up in winter, for some reason) is splashing all over.

There are cars here parked near relatively quiet, residential corners where the drains are - those drains are clogged (with ice, leaves, random debris, and more dog poo poo) and even if only 3 cars an hour drive through that puddle, that parked car is turning a horrid shade of dark grey, regardless of the paint colour. I feel bad for the owners, you can't get into a car like that without getting that slime all over your clothes, too.

BigFuzzyJesus
Dec 4, 2007
Now with more Jesus
Can I play? Yes I know the wire nut is janky, wanted to be street legal before I drove back to school.

Anyone have a good idea where to put my license plate so the campus cops get off my nuts?

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Do you have to have one on the front? Just grab some zip-ties and hang it somewhere.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

ziptie it to the axle.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Hang it from the holes on the bottom of the pushbar

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

track day bro! posted:

Does that snowfoam stuff work well?

It seems to work okay. Tbh all it is is a lazy pre wash

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

BigFuzzyJesus posted:

Anyone have a good idea where to put my nuts?

Put some truck nuts on the front and tie the plate to the nuts.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

BigFuzzyJesus posted:

Can I play? Yes I know the wire nut is janky, wanted to be street legal before I drove back to school.

Anyone have a good idea where to put my license plate so the campus cops get off my nuts?

Here, with 3M Dual Lock velcro.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

I think that's where the winch is supposed to go.

:supaburn:

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

BigFuzzyJesus posted:

neighbor's huge pushbar jeep has it wrapped around one of the bars, had never seen that done before.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Motronic posted:

I think that's where the winch is supposed to go.

:supaburn:

Hence the velcro, and he doesnt have a winch anyway

[edit] those tires look like they would be terrible in the snow

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

D C posted:

[edit] those tires look like they would be terrible in the snow

They look bald. They'll be terrible on anything.

BigFuzzyJesus
Dec 4, 2007
Now with more Jesus
I'm gonna figure out some sort of fixed mount, would just weld tabs but I don't want to fudgup the powdercoating. And velcro or clips makes me weary of somebody stealing it. Yes a second hand 8000lb poly winch goes there, haven't had time to mount it. Yes the tires are terrible but I live in Iowa where we have seen a grand total of 11" of snow over the whole winter so I'm going to just wait till this spring when I will have saved enough to do the tires and necessary re-gear when I can also afford a locker since it would make the most since to put in when I have the carrier out and am setting it up for different gears.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
My '14 Fiesta ST in the NYC "Blizzard" on Monday, thought the headlights looked dope.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

ExecuDork posted:

It's weird to me that a warm spell in winter means your car is clean. Every car here has been utterly filthy for a week because the melted slush on the roads means all of the dirt and grime and poo poo (literally - dog poo poo doesn't get picked up in winter, for some reason) is splashing all over.

There are cars here parked near relatively quiet, residential corners where the drains are - those drains are clogged (with ice, leaves, random debris, and more dog poo poo) and even if only 3 cars an hour drive through that puddle, that parked car is turning a horrid shade of dark grey, regardless of the paint colour. I feel bad for the owners, you can't get into a car like that without getting that slime all over your clothes, too.

Clean is a relative term. Compared to how it looked last Friday before I ran it through the carwash it's still "clean". Sure it has some splashes up the side, but the roof and hood are still clean. And I can actually read my license plate :)

Cancelbot
Nov 22, 2006

Canceling spam since 1928

Honda Civics are different different in Europe - All 5 door hatchbacks now, but its my first brand new car;

And adding to the winter photos here's a very lovely picture of it being snowed on;

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

How do you open the back door(s) from the outside? Are they trying out some TRV-esque kinda thing?

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Motronic posted:

How do you open the back door(s) from the outside? Are they trying out some TRV-esque kinda thing?

I think there is a handle on the C pillar rear door.

Cancelbot
Nov 22, 2006

Motronic posted:

That black triangular portion at the rearmost corner of the door is the handle, you don't get as good amount of leverage as a standard handle but the doors are light. How it looked on the previous gen;

Cancelbot fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jan 30, 2015

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

Cancelbot posted:

Honda Civics are different different in Europe - All 5 door hatchbacks now, but its my first brand new car;

How's the ride on the new ones? I have the previous gen, and it's pretty drat bumpy, it's one of the few complaints I have.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Cancelbot posted:

And adding to the winter photos here's a very lovely picture of it being snowed on;

Its so pathetic that Honda doesn't bother selling these things here :suicide:

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
5 door Civic mmmmmm.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Motronic posted:

You are obviously not familiar with the Nissan Juke, which has handles in the same place.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

meatpimp posted:

You are obviously not familiar with the Nissan Juke, which has handles in the same placeOldsmobiles from 20+ years ago.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

And the Nissan Pathfinder has had the REAR doors in a similar place since the '90s. The FRONT door high-mounted door handles were almost exclusively GM's bad idea and the broke frequently. The Juke / 5-door Civic blend in, but seem to be a solid place for a rear door door handle.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Yeah I forgot to mention the passenger side didnt work when I sold it. Still pretty cool though!

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

meatpimp posted:

The FRONT door high-mounted door handles were almost exclusively GM's bad idea and the broke frequently.
GM engineers probably went through a too-much-Dukes-of-Hazzard phase, and ended up trying everything they could to convince their customers to weld the doors and just dive in through the missing window. That also explains the ease with which plastic interior components like the door cards fall off spontaneously can be removed. And those weird door-mounted seatbelts. Basically, GM engineers don't like doors, I think.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Sounds like they should design cars with low, but very strong doors and maaaaaaaasive side windows.

I'm a genius.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

El Scotch posted:

Sounds like they should design cars with low, but very strong doors and maaaaaaaasive side windows.

I'm a genius.

:eng99:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

ExecuDork posted:

GM engineers probably went through a too-much-Dukes-of-Hazzard phase, and ended up trying everything they could to convince their customers to weld the doors and just dive in through the missing window. That also explains the ease with which plastic interior components like the door cards fall off spontaneously can be removed. And those weird door-mounted seatbelts. Basically, GM engineers don't like doors, I think.

...oh gently caress!

Cancelbot
Nov 22, 2006

AirRaid posted:

How's the ride on the new ones? I have the previous gen, and it's pretty drat bumpy, it's one of the few complaints I have.

Vastly improved. They're like two different cars and I have the rare privilege of having the matching model of the previous generation through my sister-in-law; over the same roads the 9th gen glides where the 8th would crash about. But you don't lose much in terms of handling either. It's also much quieter; even on those 17" wheels which are standard now on anything above the poverty spec.

If you weren't ~170 miles away you could have a go, but you could always be cheeky and blag a test drive :v:

The only lesser part about it would be that the 1.8 VTEC seems less urgent in the 9th, but I've only got 300 miles on this so far vs. her 60,000.

mrk
Jan 14, 2004

what the f/2.8 is going on here!
The night I picked it up from the detailer:

The next day after a trip to London...

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

meatpimp posted:

You are obviously not familiar with the Nissan Juke, which has handles in the same place.

I happily admit to that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

mrk posted:

The next day after a trip to London...

Good man rolling with the top down in winter. I like that.