Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

MONKET posted:

Gotta admit their trailer did get me pretty pumped

Always wait for actual game footage first. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

closeted republican posted:

I was instantly turned off when they said it had procedural-generated levels. It turns out the actual game is another generic roguelike FPS game that tries to be "old-skewl" and fails to be so in every possible way. It feels like it's designed to appeal to nostalgia-obsessed teens and 20-somethings who are "big hardkore oldscool first person gamerz" but really haven't played classic fps games lately except that time they played a few Doom 2 levels in Brutal Doom two years ago and made by people who think the only thing that makes an FPS old school is going (relatively) fast.

This, except I was turned off the the irony pixel style that half-heartedly attempted to stick to a Quake-like aesthetic. Strafe looks like Yet Another Faux Retro FPS and I'm really tired of this poo poo.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Shadow Hog posted:

If not, it's $10 on the eShop right now! Even comes with its two sequels!

Holy poo poo, that is one hell of a loving deal.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

dis astranagant posted:

Another stupid gzdoom issue: when I adjust brightness or gamma it flashes the change then goes right back to really dark defaults. Google turns up a years old forum thread that doesn't seem to have a solution.
Are you using f.lux? I've found that overrides GZDoom's brightness/gamma settings for one reason or another.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

It's the exception because every other game's attempt at making procedurally generated maps sucks by comparison to hand-made maps. SoF2, Tower of Guns, Ziggurat, Paranautical Activity, Hellgate London, Heavy Bullets, etc.

That's because all the other ones start with having no or very few good built levels in the engine so that you can design a generator that makes something good. In other words, they just didn't put as much effort into the random generator their games relied on that a bunch of open source nerds have put into OBLIGE.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
2D procedural generation can be just fine, plenty of games have done it well. But 3D procedural generation is next to impossible to get to not be lovely, its just too complicated. We need more advanced AI for stuff like that.

Doom is pretty much 2D so you can kinda get away with it more so than other truly 3D engines.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Shadow Hog posted:

Are you using f.lux? I've found that overrides GZDoom's brightness/gamma settings for one reason or another.

Not anymore.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Zaphod42 posted:

2D procedural generation can be just fine, plenty of games have done it well. But 3D procedural generation is next to impossible to get to not be lovely, its just too complicated. We need more advanced AI for stuff like that.

Doom is pretty much 2D so you can kinda get away with it more so than other truly 3D engines.

Lots of these "new retro" games with procedural generation are pretty much 2d with rather minimal room-over-room and minimal decoration that isn't by texture. Something like SLIGE can be adapted pretty perfectly for them.

Fully 3D "realistic" shooters are also capable of being handled with more prefab components, since they rarely get up to the craziness of Quake series levels. The legit mapped levels of their competition like Call of Duty are often quite flat, and often have many possible paths blocked off by scenery things.

man in the eyeball hat
Dec 23, 2006

Capture the opening of the portal that connects this earth of 3D to one earth of 4D or 5D. Going to the 5D.

dis astranagant posted:

Another stupid gzdoom issue: when I adjust brightness or gamma it flashes the change then goes right back to really dark defaults. Google turns up a years old forum thread that doesn't seem to have a solution.

Options->Display Options->OpenGL Settings->Preferences, changing the sector lighting mode. I think I'm using Legacy and it works fine. For reference, mine was set to "Dark" before I made any changes.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
That's not the gamma though, that just changes the sector light bias. All it changes it how far away something has to be before something is shadowed.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

It was either f.lux or my nvidia drivers making GBS threads the bed. I uninstalled one and reinstalled the other and now it works. Zlocista's does let me see without having to crank brightness, so that's for that.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jan 30, 2015

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
F.lux can do some weird things.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
DukeChat: We got some more information on the Duke Android point. It's confirmed to include Duke Nukem 64 and Total Meltdown, and it's going to be out Q1 2015, but we don't know how much it'll cost. The press release on Gamasutra confirms that EDuke32 curator TerminX himself is working on this, so the project's in good hands.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

elf help book posted:

F.lux can do some weird things.

It keeps loving with my Oculus Rift but I've had F.lux running for so long, and its effects are so subtle, that I completely forget to turn it off.

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure
F lux is only subtle, I guess, if you've been using it forever, because the color poo poo drives me absolutely nuts.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Yeah, and every time I use it I remember that it's purported benefit is largely negated by the fact that the movement of the sun has very little to do with my sleep schedule.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

dis astranagant posted:

Yeah, and every time I use it I remember that it's purported benefit is largely negated by the fact that the movement of the sun has very little to do with my sleep schedule.

I realized that the lighting in my apartment isn't going to change much so I just ditched the program and set my monitors to a comfortable color temperature setting

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Any good megawads come out recently?

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

dis astranagant posted:

Have you tried changing the location to better match your sleep schedule?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Bouchacha posted:

Have you tried changing the location to better match your sleep schedule?

:effort:

Whats a good slaughter map wad that doesn't have custom monsters or weapons and isn't nuts.wad, nuts2.wad or nuts3.wad?

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Dark Tartarus, though I'm not 100% on the "no custom monsters". There might be a SS or Keen replacements.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Segmentation Fault posted:

DukeChat: We got some more information on the Duke Android point. It's confirmed to include Duke Nukem 64 and Total Meltdown, and it's going to be out Q1 2015, but we don't know how much it'll cost. The press release on Gamasutra confirms that EDuke32 curator TerminX himself is working on this, so the project's in good hands.
Yeah, Term and Hendricks (the other EDuke32 coder) have been talking about working on it for a while now. Sounds like they roped in some community members who were reverse-engineering the console games to help them out. Good stuff!

Meanwhile, Quasar got his hands on some more materials from Doom's development, including a version of MAP28 built mostly out of 64-wide Wolf-ish corridors (which I'm sure CyRaptor would LOVE :haw:)

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

dis astranagant posted:

Whats a good slaughter map wad that doesn't have custom monsters or weapons and isn't nuts.wad, nuts2.wad or nuts3.wad?

Sunder. :getin:

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Android eduke32 also contains my awesome font replacements (the same ones that are in the HRP) :cool:

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Jia posted:

Sunder. :getin:

Tried that. There's not enough ammo on the first map to use it with the DoomRL monster pack.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Zaphod42 posted:

Here are some Quake 1 maps generated with OBLIGE:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuVyz8bvCqM

They look and play like absolute dogshit. The maps are way too big, have far too few enemies, don't take advantage of the z-axis at all, and the detailing and texture placement is atrocious.

koren
Sep 7, 2003

dis astranagant posted:

There are many:

combat shock 1 & 2
slaughterfest 2012
sunder
new gothic movement
holy hell
tom19.wad (some very experimental maps here)
nochance.wad

There are also classic slaughter maps in plutonia, alien vendetta, hell revealed 1 & 2, speed of doom, scythe 1&2 etc...

edit:

dis astranagant posted:

Tried that. There's not enough ammo on the first map to use it with the DoomRL monster pack.
Oh, nevermind.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Korendian Leader posted:

There are many:

edit:
Oh, nevermind.

It's mostly the imp wave once the initial shock of trying to pick a potentially buffed like mad vile out of a crowd with the Arsenal's weak base shotguns wears off. They resist their own shots and don't infight.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

dis astranagant posted:

It's mostly the imp wave once the initial shock of trying to pick a potentially buffed like mad vile out of a crowd with the Arsenal's weak base shotguns wears off. They resist their own shots and don't infight.

Then run arena in the base until you rank up and can buy ammo remotely.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Cerepol posted:

Then run arena in the base until you rank up and can buy ammo remotely.

I don't run DoomRPG.

So far my best runs are total flukes where I roll a scout and get a shredder pistol, nuclear plasma pistol or unique. Occasionally I manage to get the imps to cooperate without them then lose track of the vile and die :v:

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jan 31, 2015

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Here are some Quake 1 maps generated with OBLIGE:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuVyz8bvCqM

They look and play like absolute dogshit. The maps are way too big, have far too few enemies, don't take advantage of the z-axis at all, and the detailing and texture placement is atrocious.

This is because the Quake option has minimal work done on it. In fact they've removed it from the current version of OBLIGE duh to it producing unsatisfying results with the methods they were using.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Watch me suck at Sunder if you're bored or something http://www.twitch.tv/disastranagant

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Nintendo Kid posted:

This is because the Quake option has minimal work done on it. In fact they've removed it from the current version of OBLIGE duh to it producing unsatisfying results with the methods they were using.

Oh really? The OLIGE page still mentions it. :doh:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Oh really? The OLIGE page still mentions it. :doh:

It mentions they're planning to get it working again, and that if you want to use it you have to go to their version 4.28 release from 2012 (they're currently on 6.10, released in July 2014).

Aphal
Sep 14, 2004

I'm just a clown in the eyes of the world :(
Anyone have any tips on getting the Quake music/soundtrack to work? I'm using the Steam version of Quake, but running the engoo source port recommended several pages back. I google'd and found ogg downloads of the soundtrack made for darkplaces since the steam version doesn't even have the files. I dumped them into /music and /sound/cdtracks/ but I just get an error about Track001.mid being missing. Does engoo not support this?

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Anyone watching the Mythbusters Doom episode?

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Starhawk64 posted:

Anyone watching the Mythbusters Doom episode?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHbS6erL0iI

No but I watched this clip and cringed so hard my face collapsed on itself.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
They are really out of myths to bust aren't they?

They need to go out with a bang and do an episode where they stage religious miracles.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Why are they using Doom 3 of all things for testing the myth and in a custom lightgun cabinet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Zeether posted:

Why are they using Doom 3 of all things for testing the myth and in a custom lightgun cabinet?

I'm pretty sure the cabinet doesn't at all function as a Doom 3 playing device. It's there because it's more interesting than Adam sitting in front of a computer/xbox.

What on earth ARE they testing anyway?