Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

also i thought mit booted him, is he burning through old cards?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

theflyingexecutive posted:

yo that rms card is way vintage yospos, like rock solid heart touching old

but im glad yall saw it
part of what makes it so good is that hes still handing that same card out today

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

i knew precisely what this was going to be before i clicked it, thanks for doing the needful

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

lol tweet this at sarahj

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!

i'm super loving stoked

apparently this is the other witness they want to call:

https://www.cs.columbia.edu/~smb/

https://twitter.com/susie_c/status/561696650096549888

which actually looks reasonable except they're going to ask him about :

quote:

(1) "[g]eneral principles of internet security and vulnerabilities";
(2) "the operation of timestamps in UNIX-based operating systems";
(3) "the import of some lines of PHP code provided to defense counsel in discovery";
(4) "forensic memory analysis";
(5) "general principles of public-key cryptography"; and
(6) "general issues related to linux-based operating systems, including security, implications of various linux kernel versions, differing methods of software installation, etc."

which kind of looks like they're going to keep pushing the karpeles hacked my torrents story.

also maybe we'll finally find out whan #include means :peanut:
it's like a two year brick joke

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord
nooooooooooooo

as others said this is vintage yospos but lol at another sighting in the wild. poor sarah :(

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

Buglord

vOv posted:

i legitimately don't understand why people are so in love with javascript
because they're idiots who can't program

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

vOv posted:

source your quo:aaa:

BobHoward posted:

my working theory is web developers who learned it first and don't wanna learn anything else
Agreed, but is ryancarnated so unaware of everything else that he really thinks it's the best tool for everything, even kernels, flight control systems, pacemakers, nuclear reactors? I mean when I install Java the license agreement says to not use it for a nuclear reactor control system, but I've never seen anything of the sort for JavaScript so it's probably fine.

BobHoward posted:

(okay okay this isn't the first time ive seen that card, p sure i saw it linked in another yospos thread before or something, rms passes those out to women who catch his eye. because rms)
So he's still single? Can't believe it.

BobHoward posted:

i knew precisely what this was going to be before i clicked it, thanks for doing the needful

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
prolonged eye contact
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEUmcQT9UUw

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
sarah jeong had never seen the apollo 10 turd stories. i'm gonna go ahead and share them again here because she's bitcoin laffs related right now.

there was another very short one earlier in the mission where the last guy to see the mission's landing module after disconnect for returning home, he saw a turd was plastered to the window as it spun off into the distance.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

fermun posted:

there was another very short one earlier in the mission where the last guy to see the mission's landing module after disconnect for returning home, he saw a turd was plastered to the window as it spun off into the distance.

Snoopy noooooo

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

Buttcoin purse posted:

Agreed, but is ryancarnated so unaware of everything else that he really thinks it's the best tool for everything, even kernels, flight control systems, pacemakers, nuclear reactors?

reminder that by ryancarnated's own words he was so :aaaaa: over the endless possibilities of blockchain that he dropped out of a postgrad physics degree program and took a job with a bitcoin startup and then ditched it to take a job with reddit and then thought that the best way he could promote bitcoin via reddit was to make a bespoke artisinal port of the bitcoin client to js for no apparent reason at all other than his weird obsession with the language

in other words: yes, yes he probably is that clueless

also it's not like you can or should expect scientists to be decent at writing software, here's something i saw in a recent discussion on another site when the topic came up

Carlie Coats posted:

I'll second that: even in such classically-supercomputing fields as
weather-modeling, most of the models are awful in terms of SW design
and performance. Almost always, when I re-write such codes, the
result is both more readable and at least twice as fast -- not
infrequently, ten times as fast.

And that for allegedly-high performance apps!

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof
*holds envelope to forehead*

gnu hurd, pleasure cards, and rms

*opens envelope*

name three things that haven't worked for thirty years

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Buttcoin purse posted:

Agreed, but is ryancarnated so unaware of everything
all signs point to yes

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
rms isn't "single", he's polyamorous* and will tell you allllllllll about it

Silkwood shower needed he is the grossest

I have met him twice and the second time we met I reminded him we had met before and he said some rear end in a top hat poo poo like "I would never have forgotten that face" while staring at my tits

gently caress you Pepe le Pew you repulsive freak

he still has an office at MIT but I don't think he has a real job there, just some kind of nerd emeritus thing (visiting scholar or some nonsense)

* he calls it something else but it's just gross hippies loving whoever, so it's effectively polyamory as far as I'm concerned

Jesus seeing that horrible card triggered all the feels, sorry

AlbieQuirky fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Feb 1, 2015

bucketmouse
Aug 16, 2004

we con-trol the ho-ri-zon-tal
we con-trol the verrr-ti-cal

Dren posted:

this is a ways back but I wonder if Ross's "How do you plan to launder your earnings?" question was not making sure prospective enployees would have good opsec it was him earnestly asking how to do so, he didn't know

he has a /tumbler/ dir in /var/www. clearly you just put the wallet in there

6. less the card, more that it's the same card as last time

theflyingexecutive posted:

lol tweet this at sarahj

i have never clicked play on this video and I never will

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
"Your honor the defense would like to motion for dismissal on account of this whole trial being too gay and nerdy for the jury box"

is a better defense that should have been mounted than Karpeles-framed-Ross

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

Buglord

bucketmouse posted:

i have never clicked play on this video and I never will
you really should

watch it muted though, the audio is really gross

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

jony ive aces posted:

you really should

watch it muted though, the audio is really gross

oh no, you can't mute it. if you did you'd miss one of the worst programmer jokes of all time, said at the very moment gross things are happening on video

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013

WomenInBitcoinTech.js

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

Buglord
i'm the guy with the lovely beard

no, the other one

no, the other oth- well the one with "rockstar" in his job title

e: his name legit owns though

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Shazback posted:

WomenInBitcoinTech.js
why do they say "House Manager" when they really mean "Mom"

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013

anthonypants posted:

why do they say "House Manager" when they really mean "Mom"

innovation house rockstar

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I must say that boom February has started with the right foot. I really want Andreas to bring his expertise to the court.

Peer-reviewed articles: 1 (a 3-page one in 1997).
Non-peer-reviewed: Over 200.

poik007
Aug 16, 2006
Thinks Mother 3 is the best game ever
this thread is so good I should make a javascript snippet that adds a 6 button

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
https://legiscan.com/NH/text/HB552/2015
New Hampshire House Bill 552
Bill Title: Requiring the state treasurer to develop an implementation plan for the state to accept bitcoin as payment for taxes and fees.

Status: (Introduced) 2015-01-08 - Introduced and Referred to Ways and Means. [HB552 Detail]

[...]

The Treasury Department states this bill requires the Treasury Department, in consultation with the Department of Revenue Administration and the Department of Administrative Services, to develop an implementation plan for the State to accept bitcoin as payment for taxes and fees beginning July 1, 2017. The Treasury Department states this bill will likely increase state expenditures because the Department has no familiarity with bitcoin cash operations and therefore cannot determine in advance how much time and effort will be required to become informed and address the areas of accounting, valuation, and management.

lol if this actually goes anywhere

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Eripsa posted:

Synereo is about to do it's fundraising drive for the month of February. It'll be fun. I'll probably do a real thread in D&D when we go live to handle the influx of marbles.

The tl;dr is that we're building something pretty interesting. Our core technology isn't built on the blockchain and uses an entirely different method for proof of identity and distributed networking. But there's a mechanism by which users can convert a native reputation score into a blockchain-based coin and 'cash out' their social currency.

I'm only working with the group peripherally. I wrote some stuff on the white paper and I've been involved in some of the discussions and planning. The rest of it is being handled by people who appear to be professionals, for whatever that's worth. Our main tech guy is a legit mathematician and programmer who worked for a major software company for many years. He has a working prototype of the core technology, which basically can do anything Ethereum does but better and without any stupid cryptocurrencies. The funds we raise will go to polishing the UX and bringing the service live.

ITS HAPPENING

:siren: :captainpop: :siren:

Lol, so you still haven't realised the whole project is a pump and dump of "ampcoins"

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

A relaxing walk in the woods
Grimey Drawer

trucutru posted:

I must say that boom February has started with the right foot. I really want Andreas to bring his expertise to the court.

the gold fringed court is just about to convict a poor railroaded ulbricht for a crime which he did not commit

the judge, smirking, raises his gavel when suddenly the door bursts open

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

https://legiscan.com/NH/text/HB552/2015
New Hampshire House Bill 552
Bill Title: Requiring the state treasurer to develop an implementation plan for the state to accept bitcoin as payment for taxes and fees.

Status: (Introduced) 2015-01-08 - Introduced and Referred to Ways and Means. [HB552 Detail]

[...]

The Treasury Department states this bill requires the Treasury Department, in consultation with the Department of Revenue Administration and the Department of Administrative Services, to develop an implementation plan for the State to accept bitcoin as payment for taxes and fees beginning July 1, 2017. The Treasury Department states this bill will likely increase state expenditures because the Department has no familiarity with bitcoin cash operations and therefore cannot determine in advance how much time and effort will be required to become informed and address the areas of accounting, valuation, and management.

lol if this actually goes anywhere

:vince:

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

A relaxing walk in the woods
Grimey Drawer
the defense would like to call logansryche as an expert witness in intellectual property law and online economics, your honor

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

"We would like to enter into the record exhibit 1034"
"Objection. That is a dog dick coffee table."

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
The much-publicized court case dragged on for months, and Sarah had found the whole experience thoroughly amusing.

Preposterously, the 'Dread Pirate Roberts' had denied wrongdoing, and the prosecution's lawyers had been forced to parade Ross's idiot co-conspirators through the witness stand.

It took five days.

The site admins, the dealers, the FBI agent posing as an assassain, four confidential informants, seven expert witnesses: a seemingly endless stream had flowed through the courtroom and testified to their interactions with him.

Worst of all had been the exhibits: Exhibit A - a laptop found in Ross's posession. Exhibit B - a complete copy of the Silk Road on the laptop's harddrive. Exhibit C - a series of incriminating diary entries. Diary entries? On and on it went, until, by Exhibit Q - a timestamped video of Ross dancing around in his underwear and chanting "I'm DPR, I run the Silk Road" in a singsong voice - Ross could stand the humiliation no longer, and he'd agreed to settle out of court.

poik007
Aug 16, 2006
Thinks Mother 3 is the best game ever
and then the judge, both lawyers, sarah and the fbi agent remove their masks - its mark karpeles

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

eh, new hampshire's bloated legislature is full of those free state mongoloids so it's not a happening as such

it got referred to a committee and most likely will die there

why do I know this poo poo, im not even american

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Twinklevoss wins

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Powered Descent posted:

What's the hex on the last line? I'm too lazy to figure it out, also I'm afraid that I'd fall helplessly into RMS's embrace
Hex editors and hex code translator sites tell me it's "g›4;*‡ í“ ‡,dd¯*ŽL" or something similar, so probably some security key or something.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Eripsa posted:

Synereo is about to do it's fundraising drive for the month of February. It'll be fun. I'll probably do a real thread in D&D when we go live to handle the influx of marbles.

The tl;dr is that we're building something pretty interesting. Our core technology isn't built on the blockchain and uses an entirely different method for proof of identity and distributed networking. But there's a mechanism by which users can convert a native reputation score into a blockchain-based coin and 'cash out' their social currency.

I'm only working with the group peripherally. I wrote some stuff on the white paper and I've been involved in some of the discussions and planning. The rest of it is being handled by people who appear to be professionals, for whatever that's worth. Our main tech guy is a legit mathematician and programmer who worked for a major software company for many years. He has a working prototype of the core technology, which basically can do anything Ethereum does but better and without any stupid cryptocurrencies. The funds we raise will go to polishing the UX and bringing the service live.

ITS HAPPENING

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

I'm dying please send help

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crusader_complex
Jun 4, 2012
lmao at rms' card, in addition to everything else

• Locked thread