Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CountingWizard
Jul 6, 2004
Be careful with Darkest Dungeon, there is no way of telling if it will be good or just a completely mindless unengaging Roguelike like so many of the crap titles on Steam. The flash-like nature of the game engine makes me leery.

The new Caves of Qud tileset had officially delayed me picking it up to play again. I only got through the first prison area the last time I played it but I found it very well made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

CountingWizard posted:

Be careful with Darkest Dungeon, there is no way of telling if it will be good or just a completely mindless unengaging Roguelike like so many of the crap titles on Steam. The flash-like nature of the game engine makes me leery.

The new Caves of Qud tileset had officially delayed me picking it up to play again. I only got through the first prison area the last time I played it but I found it very well made.

Lots of people have played it already and reported its coolness.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3697943

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

CountingWizard posted:

I have the same problem, I want to start a new game with all these posts but it looks like it will be so good :smith:

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

[Caves of Qud - Steam Beta]
*Added a reputation system for Qud's various factions. Press 'f' from your character sheet to get to the Reputation screen, or use the menu paging keys.
*Added past events to unique creatures' descriptions. Look at a unique creature to see some events from its past and the factions that love or hate it.
*Added a new skill: Offer Gift. Offering a gift to a unique creature will adjust your reputation with the factions that love/hate it.
*Added reputation bonuses to some mutations, kits, and genotypes.
*Added a new display.txt configuration file.
*Added a new palette and visual effects.
*Added scrolling to the look display of long descriptions.
*Fixed a keybind exception.
*Fixed a broken hostile-visibility check, which was causing auto-explore/walk to not halt properly.
*Fixed an issue with status effect checking.
*Fixed ALT-key overlay.
*Fixed several exceptions with various mutations.

Here's some keys for you scoundrels:

Y̶&̶#̶8̶2̶2̶;̶L̶&̶#̶8̶2̶2̶;̶L̶&̶#̶8̶2̶2̶;̶B̶&̶#̶8̶2̶2̶;̶5̶&̶#̶8̶2̶2̶;̶-̶&̶#̶8̶2̶2̶;̶X̶&̶#̶8̶2̶2̶;̶J̶&̶#̶8̶2̶2̶;̶0̶&̶#̶8̶2̶2̶;̶R̶&̶#̶8̶2̶2̶;̶N̶&̶#̶8̶2̶2̶;̶-̶&̶#̶8̶2̶2̶;̶C̶&̶#̶8̶2̶2̶;̶L̶&̶#̶8̶2̶2̶;̶V̶&̶#̶8̶2̶2̶;̶J̶&̶#̶8̶2̶2̶;̶F̶&̶#̶8̶2̶2̶;̶
8̶3̶7̶V̶Z̶-̶E̶0̶A̶Z̶H̶-̶N̶B̶P̶C̶H̶
D̶M̶2̶8̶5̶-̶W̶L̶B̶Y̶9̶-̶Y̶2̶R̶D̶R̶
8̶Y̶V̶V̶B̶-̶A̶N̶2̶K̶5̶-̶R̶N̶J̶P̶E̶
5̶8̶4̶T̶Z̶-̶C̶D̶F̶J̶4̶-̶4̶T̶Q̶K̶N̶
R̶&̶#̶8̶2̶2̶;̶B̶&̶#̶8̶2̶2̶;̶2̶&̶#̶8̶2̶2̶;̶D̶&̶#̶8̶2̶2̶;̶D̶&̶#̶8̶2̶2̶;̶-̶&̶#̶8̶2̶2̶;̶I̶&̶#̶8̶2̶2̶;̶N̶&̶#̶8̶2̶2̶;̶3̶&̶#̶8̶2̶2̶;̶G̶&̶#̶8̶2̶2̶;̶W̶&̶#̶8̶2̶2̶;̶-̶&̶#̶8̶2̶2̶;̶8̶&̶#̶8̶2̶2̶;̶L̶&̶#̶8̶2̶2̶;̶P̶&̶#̶8̶2̶2̶;̶9̶&̶#̶8̶2̶2̶;̶K̶&̶#̶8̶2̶2̶;̶
6̶Z̶6̶G̶V̶-̶F̶H̶Y̶C̶G̶-̶M̶J̶M̶5̶Y̶
D̶&̶#̶8̶2̶2̶;̶P̶&̶#̶8̶2̶2̶;̶7̶&̶#̶8̶2̶2̶;̶6̶&̶#̶8̶2̶2̶;̶R̶&̶#̶8̶2̶2̶;̶-̶&̶#̶8̶2̶2̶;̶N̶&̶#̶8̶2̶2̶;̶K̶&̶#̶8̶2̶2̶;̶6̶&̶#̶8̶2̶2̶;̶J̶&̶#̶8̶2̶2̶;̶0̶&̶#̶8̶2̶2̶;̶-̶&̶#̶8̶2̶2̶;̶Q̶&̶#̶8̶2̶2̶;̶V̶&̶#̶8̶2̶2̶;̶2̶&̶#̶8̶2̶2̶;̶V̶&̶#̶8̶2̶2̶;̶E̶&̶#̶8̶2̶2̶;̶

Unormal fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Feb 1, 2015

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
Grabbed this one: YLLB5-XJ0RN-CLVJF

Thanks!

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Unormal posted:

DP76R-NK6J0-QV2VE
Thanks!

Dancebot
May 21, 2007

"Come, follow me," Cthulhu said, "and I will make you fish that walk like men."
Grabbed RB2DD-IN3GW-8LP9K. Thank you!

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
Grabbed DM285-WLBY9-Y2RDR, all other keys are already taken. Thanks!

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Oh goddamnit.

For the next round how do you redeem the keys? I can't seem to find Caves of Qud on Steam. Searching through Freehold games only brings up Sproggiwood.

the glow
May 31, 2009

Unormal posted:

Here's some keys for you scoundrels:

I took 584TZ-CDFJ4-4TQKN, delighted to finally manage to grab one of these. Many thanks!

scissorman
Feb 7, 2011
Ramrod XTreme
Took DM285-WLBY9-Y2RDR, thank you.

Jack Trades posted:

Grabbed DM285-WLBY9-Y2RDR, all other keys are already taken. Thanks!

Wait, what?
It activated fine for me as well.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

Helical Nightmares posted:

Oh goddamnit.

For the next round how do you redeem the keys? I can't seem to find Caves of Qud on Steam. Searching through Freehold games only brings up Sproggiwood.

It's not visible yet; you just go to the steam client, pick Games...Activate A Product On Steam from the top menu and pop in the key.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Ten minutes, and I missed them all.

Jesus.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Thanks, I grabbed 6Z6GV-FHYCG-MJM5Y (I think).

I then died to a cave spider like 2 minutes later. I think I'll need to actually read up on controls and stuff.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

scissorman posted:

Wait, what?
It activated fine for me as well.

What? That key definitely activated for me as well.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

Jack Trades posted:

What? That key definitely activated for me as well.

I'm sure you guys are about to get us delisted as a steamdev for key duping, THANKS A LOT.

scissorman
Feb 7, 2011
Ramrod XTreme
And it's not working. :(
First time starting the game it simply crashed after picking a resolution.
I restarted and now it displays a pink background and nothing else, both in fullscreen and windowed mode.
I reinstalled the game but same result.

I'm on a 2008 Macbook Pro, so I can't rule out old/lovely drivers, though I had no such issues with other Unity games in the past.
Are there any logs I could look at/send you?

Another minor issue is that the Steam Overlay popup somehow comes up inside the resolution list when starting the game, which is just weird.

Unormal posted:

I'm sure you guys are about to get us delisted as a steamdev for key duping, THANKS A LOT.

Sorry :(

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

scissorman posted:

And it's not working. :(
First time starting the game it simply crashed after picking a resolution.
I restarted and now it displays a pink background and nothing else, both in fullscreen and windowed mode.
I reinstalled the game but same result.

I'm on a 2008 Macbook Pro, so I can't rule out old/lovely drivers, though I had no such issues with other Unity games in the past.
Are there any logs I could look at/send you?

Another minor issue is that the Steam Overlay popup somehow comes up inside the resolution list when starting the game, which is just weird.

Sorry :(

Sounds like the steam overlay might just be hosed? Try restarting? You could also try going into the display.txt file and switching all the enable entries to "false"

e: Also you can switch to the "previousstable" branch and it's the last build that's known good.

e2: Yeah def a problem on Mac, I'll see if I can hunt it down.

Unormal fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Feb 1, 2015

scissorman
Feb 7, 2011
Ramrod XTreme

Unormal posted:

Sounds like the steam overlay might just be hosed? Try restarting? You could also try going into the display.txt file and switching all the enable entries to "false"

e: Also you can switch to the "previousstable" branch and it's the last build that's known good.

e2: Yeah def a problem on Mac, I'll see if I can hunt it down.

I did that and it now manages to get as far as starting to display the main menu, but after the blend-in animation is complete, the menu part (the middle) is suddenly replaced with a white block.
It still takes input (I managed to quit the game) but changing menus seems to do nothing about the display.

e: Ok, I tried the previousstable and I get the same problem with the main menu.
The menu also doesn't seem to react to input.
I went back and checked the menu in the current build and it's also not reacting; CMD+Q to quit still works though.

scissorman fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Feb 1, 2015

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

scissorman posted:

I did that and it now manages to get as far as starting to display the main menu, but after the blend-in animation is complete, the menu part (the middle) is suddenly replaced with a white block.
It still takes input (I managed to quit the game) but changing menus seems to do nothing about the display.

e: Ok, I tried the previousstable and I get the same problem with the main menu.
The menu also doesn't seem to react to input.
I went back and checked the menu in the current build and it's also not reacting; CMD+Q to quit still works though.

Ok, all fixed and posted to steam. (Current status: Inventing a time machine to go back in time and choose a skillset other than programmar.)

hand of luke
Oct 17, 2005

Mmmhmm, yes. I suppose I will attend your ball. Someone must class up the affair, musn't he?

Unormal posted:

[Caves of Qud - Steam Beta]
*Added a reputation system for Qud's various factions. Press 'f' from your character sheet to get to the Reputation screen, or use the menu paging keys.

The creature dynamics are going to be quite a bit different now. More creatures will be fighting each other due to their conflicting factions. Overall, the game's probably easier since everything isn't death-pathing toward you--but I don't know how much easier. Players, please report anything particularly game breaking.

muon
Sep 13, 2008

by Reene
So, does having an OG Caves of Qud registration key get us a Steam version as well?

(Not that I mind throwing 5-10bux at you guys)

muon fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Feb 1, 2015

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

How do I turn off the scanlines and other nasty screen effects?

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

dis astranagant posted:

How do I turn off the scanlines and other nasty screen effects?

Edit display.txt to your personal liking. (Then back it up because steam updates will trounce it. I'll add support for respecting a display.txt in the non-trounced save-location in a future patch.)

Unormal fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Feb 1, 2015

scissorman
Feb 7, 2011
Ramrod XTreme

Unormal posted:

Ok, all fixed and posted to steam. (Current status: Inventing a time machine to go back in time and choose a skillset other than programmar.)

Thanks!
I created a mutant with light manipulation, picked a fight with a goat by shooting lasers at it and promptly got my rear end kicked, so everything seems to be working as intended now :toot:.

Maelephant
Aug 12, 2006

"Yer know, a herd of maelephants might be jus' wot we needs."

hand of luke posted:

The creature dynamics are going to be quite a bit different now. More creatures will be fighting each other due to their conflicting factions. Overall, the game's probably easier since everything isn't death-pathing toward you--but I don't know how much easier. Players, please report anything particularly game breaking.

btw:
* 'l'ook at unique monsters/npcs to determine their faction characteristics, if any.
* There's a new screen in your character sheet displaying your reputation with each faction.

VVVVV Kinda, but way outdated http://forums.freeholdentertainment.com/showthread.php?70-Character-Creation-Guide and http://forums.freeholdentertainment.com/showthread.php?7-Caves-of-Qud-Reference-Guide

Maelephant fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Feb 1, 2015

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
Is there a Newbie's Guide to CoQ somewhere? I realized that I have no idea what I'm doing in that game.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug
Son of a bitch, always when I'm sleeping :argh:

Naar
Aug 19, 2003

The Time of the Eye is now
Fun Shoe
Any tips on how to get the 'return the fleece in <= 150 turns' achievement in Hoplite? It tends to go OK for the first ten floors or so, then I find myself either taking too long to clear a path and running out of time or rushing ahead and getting killed.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Naar posted:

Any tips on how to get the 'return the fleece in <= 150 turns' achievement in Hoplite? It tends to go OK for the first ten floors or so, then I find myself either taking too long to clear a path and running out of time or rushing ahead and getting killed.

The random level and random enemy positions means that it's less about strategy and more about luck.

Try to rush the exit if you can do it safely. Extra jump distance would definitely help.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Jack Trades posted:

Is there a Newbie's Guide to CoQ somewhere? I realized that I have no idea what I'm doing in that game.

Read the in-game help, and it'll cover basic mechanics. As a starter character, I recommend building an Esper Water Merchant with Light Manipulation, Sunder Mind, Time Fugue, and Evil Twin. Max Ego and put your remaining points into Toughness, Intelligence, and Strength. Use Sunder Mind on single big targets, Light Manipulation on everything else, and if you see a big fight coming, trigger Time Fugue before it starts (because your time clone(s) spawn with the same state on power cooldowns that you have).

scissorman
Feb 7, 2011
Ramrod XTreme
I have a question about the keymap in CoQ.
I followed the instructions and pressed F2 in the keymap menu, but after I press Y it immediately returns to the game and it hasn't changed anything.
The keymap also looks the same when I re-open the menu.
Additionally, when I use F1 to switch to the default keymap this doesn't happen; the menu stays on screen and it asks for confirmation before committing the changes, which seems to be the intended behaviour.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

scissorman posted:

I have a question about the keymap in CoQ.
I followed the instructions and pressed F2 in the keymap menu, but after I press Y it immediately returns to the game and it hasn't changed anything.
The keymap also looks the same when I re-open the menu.
Additionally, when I use F1 to switch to the default keymap this doesn't happen; the menu stays on screen and it asks for confirmation before committing the changes, which seems to be the intended behaviour.

The laptop keybind defaults are fubar at the moment.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Lprsti99 posted:

Son of a bitch, always when I'm sleeping :argh:

About five minutes after I got home and checked the thread and went to play something else :argh:

scissorman
Feb 7, 2011
Ramrod XTreme

Unormal posted:

The laptop keybind defaults are fubar at the moment.

Oh, ok, I'll just rebind it manually.

Does it save the keybindings somewhere externally?
I'd rather not have them reset when I patch the game like the display.txt.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

scissorman posted:

Oh, ok, I'll just rebind it manually.

Does it save the keybindings somewhere externally?
I'd rather not have them reset when I patch the game like the display.txt.

User-specific keybind are saved in your local save directory, which isn't invalidated with a patch. (It's in a place like appdata, or similar, depending on platform)

Unormal fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Feb 2, 2015

Rrussom
May 13, 2009
I wish more games featured women turning into toilets. I want toilet transformers.
D-Damnit, I always miss the keys to this

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Rrussom posted:

You wouldn't have liked it anyways; it doesn't feature women turning into toilets.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Unormal just release so that I can give you my money hrrng

Rrussom posted:

But you don't even have time for other games with the new hot Darkstar Boundsouls update :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

Tin Tim posted:

Unormal just release so that I can give you my money hrrng

Hand of Luke is determined to get first pass of all the tiles in, and get to a reasonably good choice of palettes and shaders, before we go public with it. :D