Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Just don't bring liquids into the server room, why risk it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Our IT dept fridge is in the server room heh.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
I got a tour through a reasonably small data center/server room today, was about 4 rows of racks that were maybe 12ft long each. Listening to the IT lead wave it off as being only $1.6m while giving a speech about MPLS, PCI compliance, and BGP was pretty overwhelming. I dunno if I'm actually going to be able to work in this industry.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

My recent server refresh was 300k and that was just two hosts, san, and the software to run on it. That sounds pretty lean for how much hardware is there.

You'll do fine.

Just don't touch anything.

Ever.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

incoherent posted:

My recent server refresh was 300k and that was just two hosts, san, and the software to run on it. That sounds pretty lean for how much hardware is there.

You'll do fine.

Ever.
Yeah 1.6m could fit in a single rack easily. Either way, just spill your coke on a live server and change the world.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

incoherent posted:

You'll do fine.

Ever.

Your company spent 300k on infrastructure yet won't setup a dedicated room? And honestly, there is no way I am sitting in a room with that kind of noise all day.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Technically, an OSHA violation. I have hearing loss from such an event when I sat in a datacenter for over a year, don't mess around with that poo poo!

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Sickening posted:

Your company spent 300k on infrastructure yet won't setup a dedicated room? And honestly, there is no way I am sitting in a room with that kind of noise all day.

We're moving next month and we're getting our own offices and a sweet NOC for expandability. We can't be in there anymore only because the dedicated AC unit is far louder than my servers. Its still a mix-use room (benches n' stuff), but only in there 30% of the time.

e: If you think this is bad, the colo I rent out of has an actual company running out of it with employees working in their own faraday cage. That I could not handle.

incoherent fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Feb 2, 2015

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Bhodi posted:

Technically, an OSHA violation. I have hearing loss from such an event when I sat in a datacenter for over a year, don't mess around with that poo poo!

Depends. OSHA standards require hearing protection when you're subjected to 90 dB for 8 hours per day. I only know this because I also sat in a datacenter for a year and was curious, but it was only 85 dB at my cube.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
I still wouldn't want to hang out in there without ear protection. I mow my lawn with ear protection and that's like 80-90 dB. Then I end up going to loud rear end concerts and forget earplugs sometimes but either way I'd prefer not to add hearing loss to carpal tunnel and back pain 30 years down the line.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

GreenNight posted:

Our IT dept fridge is in the server room heh.

You'd be surprised how effective keeping things under the tiles is

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

evol262 posted:

Maybe then the team will start leaving the tile puller in the same loving spot when they're done with it

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Methanar posted:

I got a tour through a reasonably small data center/server room today, was about 4 rows of racks that were maybe 12ft long each. Listening to the IT lead wave it off as being only $1.6m while giving a speech about MPLS, PCI compliance, and BGP was pretty overwhelming. I dunno if I'm actually going to be able to work in this industry.

Meh. You get used to things. I remember my first 6 figure purchase and how insane it seemed. Now they're routine. Or the coolness of racking my first few servers. Another example, my wife works at a bank. She doesn't even blink at a half a million dollars in cash anymore. Well maybe.... she gets pissed if she has to double count it but she's around it so much it's no big deal to her

You just get used to things and they're not that special after a while.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Misogynist posted:

If you don't need really high-strength stuff, BuyHookAndLoop has bulk velcro for 25% of that price:

http://www.buyhookandloop.com/products/strap-it

Perfectly adequate for tidying up a couple of cables from a Panduit organizer or whatever, though I'd use something firmer if you're trying to wrap a bulk of 48 at the end of a patch panel.

Monoprice has 5 yard rolls for $2.87 each, or less if you get volume.

Don't get me wrong, it's much shittier than name-brand Velcro - much stiffer and harsher (essentially more likely to feel like it's cutting your fingers as you handle it). However, for a patch panel type situation it's fine, since you theoretically don't modify that too much.

BlueBlazer posted:

Or you can get manly on it and get some real tools.

http://www.amazon.com/Klein-D228-8-...iagonal+cutters

No? For snipping twist-ties or cutting zip-ties, the snippers I linked are much easier and faster because they're short and easy to manipulate - what you linked is fine for essentially snipping Cat-5, but for delicate work like snipping twist-ties off rolled-up cables the Hakko & Xcelite snippers are far superior because the cutting blades are like 1/8" long and easy to get between the cable and the twist-tie. (Or line up flush with a ziptie head in the back of a rack at the oddest angle you can imagine, because zipties are always at the stupidest angles).

But yes I agree with always using Velcro - I believe we had a slapfight about it a couple months ago in the poo poo that pisses you off thread, and the conclusion was that DAF (I don't think it was actually him but he's a convenient punching bag) was a loving retard for saying that zipties were a good idea, and then we drank a bunch of scotch and returned to bitching about users. The only thing I use zipties for is UPS cabling, because it tends to be far more permanent than anything else and is big thick 12/10/8 gauge wire that Velcro is not as good at taming. Other than that, all Velcro all the time David Carradine would have had a much better experience had he used Velcro for his pleasure.

#ZiptiesKill

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

adorai posted:

Do you set it on top of a server in a rack?

When I was typing, yes. I haven't done it since a previous director (that was, what, 2 directors ago? we've had quite a few, so I've lost count) freaked out about it.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Potato Alley posted:

Monoprice has 5 yard rolls for $2.87 each, or less if you get volume.

Don't get me wrong, it's much shittier than name-brand Velcro - much stiffer and harsher (essentially more likely to feel like it's cutting your fingers as you handle it). However, for a patch panel type situation it's fine, since you theoretically don't modify that too much.

No? For snipping twist-ties or cutting zip-ties, the snippers I linked are much easier and faster because they're short and easy to manipulate - what you linked is fine for essentially snipping Cat-5, but for delicate work like snipping twist-ties off rolled-up cables the Hakko & Xcelite snippers are far superior because the cutting blades are like 1/8" long and easy to get between the cable and the twist-tie. (Or line up flush with a ziptie head in the back of a rack at the oddest angle you can imagine, because zipties are always at the stupidest angles).

But yes I agree with always using Velcro - I believe we had a slapfight about it a couple months ago in the poo poo that pisses you off thread, and the conclusion was that DAF (I don't think it was actually him but he's a convenient punching bag) was a loving retard for saying that zipties were a good idea, and then we drank a bunch of scotch and returned to bitching about users. The only thing I use zipties for is UPS cabling, because it tends to be far more permanent than anything else and is big thick 12/10/8 gauge wire that Velcro is not as good at taming. Other than that, all Velcro all the time David Carradine would have had a much better experience had he used Velcro for his pleasure.

#ZiptiesKill

We used to have black zip ties on our power cables. Guy cut through the power cable trying to get the zip tie. He didn't die that time but it was close. Luckily the cutter and him were grounded.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

evol262 posted:

No doubt. Our server room is carpet on top of concrete. The carpet isn't even the fancy no static electricity carpet. The building is from the 1920s so go figure.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
i warm my lunch on top of our san cabinets, AMA

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

The heat is out in the office, so it's 46F in here. I might as well go hang in the server room which is a nice balmy 75F.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Looks like my boss wants to promote my desktop guy and now I need to be looking for a new entry level guy to do the chill desktop stuff. Haven't had to hire anybody all on my own in a while, so this should be pretty fun.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3075135&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=79#post441048218 Guess I could crosspost this from the jobs thread. I haven't posted the job to indeed yet so if you are somehow someone who wants to do this job hit me up.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Sickening posted:

Looks like my boss wants to promote my desktop guy and now I need to be looking for a new entry level guy to do the chill desktop stuff. Haven't had to hire anybody all on my own in a while, so this should be pretty fun.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3075135&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=79#post441048218 Guess I could crosspost this from the jobs thread. I haven't posted the job to indeed yet so if you are somehow someone who wants to do this job hit me up.

Hey, didn't know you're in the DFW area. I definitely would've jumped at that about a year ago.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

jaegerx posted:

We used to have black zip ties on our power cables. Guy cut through the power cable trying to get the zip tie. He didn't die that time but it was close. Luckily the cutter and him were grounded.

Well, the implication of that is dark.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Whoooo it's loving Monday alright... 2 sites down, directly affecting revenue, and a company wide cloud app is offline. Haven't had one of these in a long time.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

dogstile posted:

Well, the implication of that is dark.

The guy was amazing with his gently caress ups. Destroying raid arrays that the dea wanted copies of. The power cable cut. He once lost a drive that had essential data on it. I had to go back through a week of camera footage to find it. He was eventually fired so he's someone else's problem now.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

A new job! :yotj: I just put 2 weeks notice in today, moving from Central MA to Boston, smaller office, no more phones/helpdesk, A decent raise, and I get to say gently caress off to all the terrible terrible people I work with. (I won't because I like my unburnt bridges but I'm happy to never see them again.)

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Question for those of you who look at resumes:

I made a poor choice of college; I graduated with a Bachelor's in Game Development. I actually learned a fair amount about computers and still know how to program (the program was entirely about programming and software development but targeted towards games) but after some issues with my first job as a developer and some personal stuff happening I decided to leave the field and go into IT. I'm more of a support kind of guy anyway. If that's on my resume would that set off alarm bells? Keep in mind my only actual IT experience now is doing some basic phone support, so I don't have much else to put on a resume.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
Is development not IT experience?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

After you have professional working experience I don't give a poo poo where you went to school or what you majored in. You could have majored in Multicultural Womens Studies for all I care.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Garrand posted:

I made a poor choice of college; I graduated with a Bachelor's in Game Development. I actually learned a fair amount about computers and still know how to program (the program was entirely about programming and software development but targeted towards games) but after some issues with my first job as a developer and some personal stuff happening I decided to leave the field and go into IT. I'm more of a support kind of guy anyway. If that's on my resume would that set off alarm bells? Keep in mind my only actual IT experience now is doing some basic phone support, so I don't have much else to put on a resume.

A Games Degree from say Penn State is a hell of a lot more respectable than some poo poo degree from Full Sail. Put the degree at the bottom and trump up your other programming and IT support experience.

skipdogg posted:

After you have professional working experience I don't give a poo poo where you went to school or what you majored in. You could have majored in Multicultural Womens Studies for all I care.

I get asked about my English degree in nearly every interview and I use it as a way to spin "good communication skills in a field that notoriously lacks it." But yea you're right that degree doesn't matter once you have experience under your belt

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

It was just some basic windows app development in C#, also I got fired from that job (part of the personal things I mentioned) and stopped putting it on my resume after I lost a new job because they asked me about it. Like, the IT manager said I had the job but then HR learned about it and said no.

I'm currently A+ certified and probably gonna take the 70-680 once I get my tax refund, but it still worries me. That first development job I got grilled on the degree as well, but at least it was software related.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Garrand posted:

Well, if it helps any, I actually went to school for Psychology and am still a couple classes and a senior thesis away from a degree. And have been for about 20 years now. Currently I'm in a *very senior* position making very good money and actually in charge of people. In my team we have two people with Masters (one real and one that might be sketchy), a BS in comp sci, two with only HS diplomas, and one GED. All are SMEs in different technologies.

You'll probably have to start as the entriest of entry levels, and it will seem slow going at first, but put in time, gather experience and DO WELL and you will advance.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Development is more IT experience then a lot of people have when they get their first job. I wouldn't worry about it too much. If you're super worried look into getting an A+ cert.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Garrand posted:

It was just some basic windows app development in C#, also I got fired from that job (part of the personal things I mentioned) and stopped putting it on my resume after I lost a new job because they asked me about it. Like, the IT manager said I had the job but then HR learned about it and said no.

I'm currently A+ certified and probably gonna take the 70-680 once I get my tax refund, but it still worries me. That first development job I got grilled on the degree as well, but at least it was software related.

Can't speak to the firing part, but as for "basic windows app devlopment in C#" that's definitely legit IT experience that I wouldn't ignore. I think you're better off than you think you are, just gotta work out the bugs.

MagnumOpus
Dec 7, 2006

Garrand posted:

I made a poor choice of college; I graduated with a Bachelor's in Game Development... If that's on my resume would that set off alarm bells? Keep in mind my only actual IT experience now is doing some basic phone support, so I don't have much else to put on a resume.

There are Bad Managers who need to justify to themselves the waste of 4 years and tens of thousands of dollars. Satisfy yourself knowing you didn't want to work for that guy anyway. Good Managers (and Employees) in this industry understand that the evolution of IT moves too fast to teach a relevant 4-year degree.

Hell, the prevailing school of thinking in my local IT world is that the less schooling or big shop experience you have the less bad habits we'll need to train out of you. Last team I built my ninjas were the young folks with non-empty githubs and < 3 years of experience. It was the degree'd guys or the ones I poached from RedHat that we had problems with.

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up
Clients will pay me left and right for people who can code right out of school. Development is a hot ticket and will be for the foreseeable future, so you could have done a lot worse with your major. Be sure to highlight what languages you are good with on that resume and start firing it off. If you have any good code samples or projects to augment your light IT experience, find a way to get those in the right hands too either via portfolio site or github or whatever it is you code monkeys do.

By comparison, it's a LOT harder for me to place an infrastructure guy right out of school.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Depends on the system an ex-dev-turned-IT professional is expected to maintain. I did not get many of the interpersonal skills I needed to handle hotheaded / irritable customers in desktop support from my intern dev days, for example. Similarly, a C# dev probably doesn't know way too much about convergent storage architecture.

Dark Helmut posted:

By comparison, it's a LOT harder for me to place an infrastructure guy right out of school.

Eight years ago, there were zero non-CS, specifically-IT engineering programs in North America that weren't simply the base CS degree program with additional certificate work added on top. That is improving now -- I have a brother going back to school in an IT engineering program in Kansas right now and the curriculum looks awesome-- but it's still sparse. I haven't seen any IT-focused MS degrees out there, for example. My only choices for a technical MS right now look like business, project management, or dev.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

jaegerx posted:

you don't want to be grounded if you hit live electrical. It's much better to be ungrounded in those instances. Unless you mean he had a grounding strip on the wrist he was using to hold the cutters, then he would probably just gently caress up his hand or something.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

How much truth is there to the rumor that there will eventually only be three or four cloud software companies?

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Define cloud software. Do you mean IaaS offerings like AWS, Google Compute, and Azure? If so I'd argue that's already the case and not likely to change given the absurd cost of entry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Tab8715 posted:

How much truth is there to the rumor that there will eventually only be three or four cloud software companies?

I feel like I'm dumber for having read that question.