Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I'm an idiot, ignore this.

Alteisen has a new favorite as of 10:29 on Feb 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Midnight Voyager posted:

I feel like some artist was trying really hard to draw people and kept getting the head proportions wrong. Or maybe these guys are all caricatures. Or they're from Dishonored.

I'm trying not to make a stale "go outside more" post but people do have all kinds of head shapes in real life, it's nothing particularly weird.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Kanfy posted:

I'm trying not to make a stale "go outside more" post but people do have all kinds of head shapes in real life, it's nothing particularly weird.

In the picture he quoted, they do all have a pretty serious case of fiveheads and really bad haircuts that emphasize it. :shrug:

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Kimmalah posted:

In the picture he quoted, they do all have a pretty serious case of fiveheads and really bad haircuts that emphasize it. :shrug:

Yeah, while the Photoshoppery isn't doing them any favors they do actually look like that.

BTW Captain Lavender, you missed the best one. His current photo is much better though. They seem to have moved away from doing glamouresque photos and stuck to straight-forward headshots.

Mierenneuker has a new favorite as of 11:19 on Feb 2, 2015

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Kimmalah posted:

Well bad haircuts are a given since it's e-sports, but otherwise there are a whole lot of weirder looking people in the world than those dudes.

Anyway, to post something topical, one of my favorite little things in a game is in Icewind Dale II in which you'll every now and then find various corpses in containers, and you can pick up and carry them around in your inventory just like any other item. There's no real reason to do so except some funny comments from townspeople wondering what the hell is wrong with you.

However if you for some reason carry the corpses of a cat, a man and/or a woman through the entire game all the way to the literally final dungeon, you can have various conversation about it with a certain boss named Yquog there:

quote:

PC: Wait! Isn't there a peaceful way to settle this? Perhaps I have something you'd like - say this *dead cat/man/woman* for instance....
Yquog: Uh... Why are you carrying around a dead cat/man/woman?

The answer to this varies depending on which specific corpse(s) you're carrying with you:

quote:

PC with a cat's corpse: Doesn't everybody carry around a dead cat? It's soft, and furry - well, parts of him are still furry - it's low maintenance, and the smell is rather cleansing, once you get used to it.

quote:

PC with a man's corpse: Oh, him? He's my good luck charm! You see, he was my first kill, and ever since then I've been carrying him around for good luck. As you can see with my exemplary success against the Legion of the Chimera's many hordes, he works like a charm!

quote:

PC with a woman's corpse: Her name is MISTY! Be polite to my Misty, she's very dear to me. It's hard enough to offer her to you, even though it was her suggestion. What? What's that, sweety? You think the lumpy demon is funny looking...?

quote:

PC with both a man's and a woman's corpses: Ha, ha, funny you should ask. You see, I'm their chaperone for their date - you know, I'm around so they don't do anything that they would later regret. It'd be a shame if I had to end their little outing by handing one of them over to you, but... Hey, wait a bit! Why don't you chaperone them?

quote:

PC with a cat's corpse and either a man's or a woman's corpse: Hey, easy on the *dead* comment - Buddy/Misty's very sensitive about that. As for Spot, well, Buddy/Misty always harped about wanting a pet, so one day I caved and gave him/her one. He was a tough bugger to get, but one swift *whack...*

All to which he understandably responds with

quote:

Yquog: NO! What's wrong with you?! You're insane! How could an insane fleshy mortal reap such havoc on the Legion of the Chimera?! I can't eat you; you'll give me some kind of mental disease! I'll just kill you and leave the body for the rats!

But the best part is that if you carry all three corpses all the way to him, he gets so freaked out that he straight up runs away and you skip the entire fight:

quote:

PC: Wait! Isn't there a peaceful way to settle this? Perhaps I have something you'd like - say this dead cat,* or this *dead man,* or *dead woman,*...
Yquog: You... You mean to say that you carry dead things with you wherever you go?!
PC: Of course! Doesn't everyone? For me, it's kind of like a memento of all the slaughter I wrought during this campaign against the Legion of the Chimera.
Yquog: You... I... But... By Iyachtu Xvim, you're SICK! You hold no concept or understanding for things alive or dead! I want no part of you, not when I'm so close to maturity! Collect all the bodies you want, sick fleshy mortal, but you'll not have mine! I'll leave this place, and you, in peace and never return, of this I swear!
PC: Oh, well, okay, if you insist. Pity, though, you'd have made a fine addition to my pretty, tender collection...
Yquog: AAAAAAHHHHHH!!!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Something I like about Dying Light is that occasionally you will have to go through plot areas more than once, and if you fought human enemies on the first time through, they will be zombies (still wearing their evil faction gear) by the time you come back because you killed them. It's a kind of neat touch, they could've just dropped in a bunch of normal zombies but instead they made a whole new set of zombie clothing models for the thugs.

Thinky Whale
Aug 2, 2012

All that most maddens and torments; all that stirs up the lees of things; all truth with malice in it; all that cracks the sinews and cakes the brain; all the subtle demonisms of life and thought; all evil were visibly personified, and made practically assailable in Fry.
Note that you have a limited weight to your carrying capacity, and the people's bodies are both quite heavy. So you have to be really, really dedicated to carrying dead things around in case they come in handy.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

CJacobs posted:

Something I like about Dying Light is that occasionally you will have to go through plot areas more than once, and if you fought human enemies on the first time through, they will be zombies (still wearing their evil faction gear) by the time you come back because you killed them. It's a kind of neat touch, they could've just dropped in a bunch of normal zombies but instead they made a whole new set of zombie clothing models for the thugs.

I've always been partial to Techland and their Dead Island games, I gather Dying Light is more or less how those games should have been from the start, it's on my "To eventually buy" list now!

princecoo
Sep 3, 2009

Judge Tesla posted:

I've always been partial to Techland and their Dead Island games, I gather Dying Light is more or less how those games should have been from the start, it's on my "To eventually buy" list now!

If you liked Dead Island, then Dying Light should absolutely be on your "Buy right the gently caress now" list.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Although it is a little weird your character never finishes them off. He must know the rules by now.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Mierenneuker posted:

BTW Captain Lavender, you missed the best one. His current photo is much better though. They seem to have moved away from doing glamouresque photos and stuck to straight-forward headshots.

Yeah, but his headshot is almost funnier to me. My problem isn't that they're ugly - it's what happens when they're being instructed to 'look intimidating'. Like, in this pic, he's smiling as normally as you could expect, I reckon.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Aphrodite posted:

Although it is a little weird your character never finishes them off. He must know the rules by now.

Well I mean they still come back even if you kill them with headshots too so I'm chocking it up to just video game logic, but it's the thought that counts.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

princecoo posted:

If you liked Dead Island, then Dying Light should absolutely be on your "Buy right the gently caress now" list.

Yeah but it's not actually out on disk on PS4 until the end of February in the EU/UK due to disk production issues according to Amazon. :v:

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Kanfy posted:

Icewind Dale II

Against all logic, that game is the closest thing to Planescape: Torment there is.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Tracula posted:

To be fair MGS3 did have the Shagohod, a man in a lightning suit and those hovering things guards would use to patrol. In the universe of Metal Gear I have no trouble believing they'd jump ahead that far with tech in just a decade.

I'll grant the lightning suit, but the Shagohod doesn't seem like a huge leap and those hover platforms actually had prototypes in the late 1950s :eng101:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hiller_VZ-1_Pawnee

MeatwadIsGod has a new favorite as of 18:31 on Feb 2, 2015

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

MeatwadIsGod posted:

I'll grant the lightning suit, but through Shagohod doesn't seem like a huge leap and those hover platforms actually had prototypes in the late 1950s :eng101:

Every time I see something like this I'm amazed at the direction military vehicles could have gone in if a different person had been making the decisions about what to move forward with. It's fascinating.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

jojoinnit posted:

Every time I see something like this I'm amazed at the direction military vehicles could have gone in if a different person had been making the decisions about what to move forward with. It's fascinating.

Straight into the ground probably because that hover platform was really a terrible vehicle.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

scamtank posted:

Against all logic, that game is the closest thing to Planescape: Torment there is.
That's new to me. Explain?

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Kimmalah posted:

Straight into the ground probably because that hover platform was really a terrible vehicle.

The F-104 Starfighter was a plane that actually flew in combat and had nicknames ranging from "Lawn Dart" to "Flying Coffin" because of its annoying tendency to fall out of the sky. It killed a Brigadier General and nearly killed Chuck Yeager.

That hover platform going into active service isn't as far-fetched as you'd want to believe.

Polaron has a new favorite as of 18:45 on Feb 2, 2015

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Kanfy posted:

Well bad haircuts are a given since it's e-sports, but otherwise there are a whole lot of weirder looking people in the world than those dudes.

CS:GO pro players require at least one good haircut per team if you really want to reach the top.

I just finished replaying Mass Effect 3 as I hadn't played it since they patched in better endings, but I like that you can find your space hamster wandering around your ship. I missed that guy. Also that Tali yells "GO FOR THE EYES!" when she sends out her little droid.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Polaron posted:

The F-104 Starfighter was a plane that actually flew in combat and had nicknames ranging from "Lawn Dart" to "Flying Coffin" because of its annoying tendency to fall out of the sky. It killed a Brigadier General and nearly killed Chuck Yeager.

That hover platform going into active service isn't as far-fetched as you'd want to believe.

To be fair to the Starfighter, wasn't a lot of the issues that lead to all those crashes air forces taking an interceptor meant to shoot down bombers at 30,000 feet and thinking "Yes, this will make a good low altitude bomb truck" ?

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed
I've been replaying Far Cry 2 with Dylan's Mod and I forgot just how many little things FC2 has that I like but almost nobody else does.

I love the buddy system and I'm sad that it apparently doesn't show up in any of the other Far Cry games, or more games in general. You get another shot (heh) at whatever you were doing without having to reload the game (and possibly lose a bunch of time if you're like me and forget to save often), and you get a little help clearing out the area.

Fast-travel being accomplished by buses is good (although a couple more bus stops wouldn't have hurt). The map being in-game and not stopping time when you look at it is also good. Weapon jamming and degradation is a neat feature (even if it is a bit ridiculous how quickly some guns become rusty piles of junk). Wounding but not killing an enemy can lure his friends out of hiding so you can kill them, or it can end up surprising you later if you don't confirm the kill - I've started shooting everyone in the head after the fighting stops just to be sure. I like the enemy chatter as you take out more and more guys. By the time you're down to the last couple in an area, they're freaking the gently caress out and wondering exactly how many of you there are. I like that enemies aren't totally psychic - it seems like they know where shots are fired from, but it's possible to hide and watch a group of mercs close in on your old position (I like to leave an IED as a little present for them).

Far Cry 2 isn't quite on S.T.A.L.K.E.R.'s level of "gently caress you, player" but it's close, and I really like it for that. I wish they hadn't gone quite so far in 'fixing' the problems people had with it for FC3. I mostly just want buddies and weapon jamming back while I'm crying far. :(

Fifty Farts has a new favorite as of 19:26 on Feb 2, 2015

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I wanted to like far cry 2 a lot more than I did. There was just so much busywork and glum driving dragging it down all the time. 3 and 4 just couldn't hold my interest for the opposite reason, everything's so trivial and lacking in challenge.

I still love pre-mutant Far Cry 1 a lot :(

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

beats for junkies posted:

I've been replaying Far Cry 2 with Dylan's Mod and I forgot just how many little things FC2 has that I like but almost nobody else does.

I love the buddy system and I'm sad that it apparently doesn't show up in any of the other Far Cry games, or more games in general. You get another shot (heh) at whatever you were doing without having to reload the game (and possibly lose a bunch of time if you're like me and forget to save often), and you get a little help clearing out the area.

Fast-travel being accomplished by buses is good (although a couple more bus stops wouldn't have hurt). The map being in-game and not stopping time when you look at it is also good. Weapon jamming and degradation is a neat feature (even if it is a bit ridiculous how quickly some guns become rusty piles of junk). Wounding but not killing an enemy can lure his friends out of hiding so you can kill them, or it can end up surprising you later if you don't confirm the kill - I've started shooting everyone in the head after the fighting stops just to be sure. I like the enemy chatter as you take out more and more guys. By the time you're down to the last couple in an area, they're freaking the gently caress out and wondering exactly how many of you there are. I like that enemies aren't totally psychic - it seems like they know where shots are fired from, but it's possible to hide and watch a group of mercs close in on your old position (I like to leave an IED as a little present for them).

Far Cry 2 isn't quite on S.T.A.L.K.E.R.'s level of "gently caress you, player" but it's close, and I really like it for that. I wish they hadn't gone quite so far in 'fixing' the problems people had with it for FC3. I mostly just want buddies and weapon jamming back while I'm crying far. :(

The majority of those features are exactly the things people likes about far cry 2 (things like weapon jamming excepted), it's just that whether you like far cry 2 pretty much comes down to whether those good features outweigh how incredibly bad some of the other issues are for you, most notably the constantly respawning enemies that never leave you alone.

Also enemies absolutely are psychic in terms of detecting you. If a single enemy starts to detect you, then you have about 2 seconds before every nearby enemy instantly knows exactly where you are and completely alerts to you, no matter what you do. Then even if you use a silenced weapon but don't kill them in 1 hit, you get the same result. The one and only way to stealth is to never be seen by a single person ever, and don't kill anyone except with one shot. The enemies are magic.

Far cry 3 fixed that but then they went ahead and threw away half of far cry 2's good points too, like the diegetic map, because they evidently didn't do much real analysis about what dragged FC2 down and instead just said "people didn't like the last game, so make this one really different I guess."

David Copperfield
Mar 14, 2004

im david copperfield

Byzantine posted:

I'd like to play a game where you work for The Empire or morally grey organization and you don't wind up getting betrayed by your bosses and joining the Noble Resistance/taking over for yourself.

It doesn't have to be a game where you're evil, exactly - the Grey Warden in Dragon Age 1 kinda counts, since your job is to fight the Archdemon by any means necessary and the game/the Warden hierarchy never shouts at you KARMA LOST BAD ENDING, but you're also pretty much on your own the whole time.

Mr House's path in New Vegas is the only one I can think of at the moment like what I'm talking about.

I remember that after Bioshock 1, people thought Mr House NOT betraying you was a twist.

And in Bioshock 2, it's the same with Augustus Sinclair.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

Gestalt Intellect posted:

The majority of those features are exactly the things people likes about far cry 2 (things like weapon jamming excepted), it's just that whether you like far cry 2 pretty much comes down to whether those good features outweigh how incredibly bad some of the other issues are for you, most notably the constantly respawning enemies that never leave you alone.

Also enemies absolutely are psychic in terms of detecting you. If a single enemy starts to detect you, then you have about 2 seconds before every nearby enemy instantly knows exactly where you are and completely alerts to you, no matter what you do. Then even if you use a silenced weapon but don't kill them in 1 hit, you get the same result. The one and only way to stealth is to never be seen by a single person ever, and don't kill anyone except with one shot. The enemies are magic.

Far cry 3 fixed that but then they went ahead and threw away half of far cry 2's good points too, like the diegetic map, because they evidently didn't do much real analysis about what dragged FC2 down and instead just said "people didn't like the last game, so make this one really different I guess."

Well, other than the buddies, most of the things I listed - limited fast-travel, weapon jamming/degredation, the diegetic map (THAT'S the word I couldn't think of, thank you) - are things I've actually heard people complain about, and things that I like and can only defend with "I find it fun." :shobon: Adding to that, I like the bleak story and "everyone is an rear end in a top hat, including the player character" feeling of the game, and I know some people don't care for that, either.

The enemies being not-quite-so-psychic might be something from Dylan's Mod (it also reduces the chase-chance from 90-100% down to 60% and that makes a big difference), or I might just be getting more used to taking a few shots and relocating. I've gone loud, blown up some barrels, shot some guys, and moved to a new position, then watched two mercs move in on my old position. Then I set them on fire and moved to another new position. I have the stealth upgrade, too, and I think the mod might change how that works a bit.

Okay, so add "Dylan's Mod" to things I like about Far Cry 2. It tries to minimize the bad parts and emphasize the good parts, and I think it does a good job. It's probably the biggest reason I'm replaying 2 rather than trying 3 again (I only got as far as the old man sending you to a cave to trip balls, but I didn't like it very much; I felt like it was trying too hard to be self-aware about being a video game, and yes, I know that's a stupid smug-rear end complaint to have). I will give 3 another shot. Blood Dragon is fun. I'll eventually get around to 4 as well. I'm just playing 2 right now. :)

Other things about 2 that I liked (that aren't things I've heard people complain about): the size and diversity of the map, the weather and lighting, diamonds, the weapon shop computer terminal, and the animals (as limited as they were in 2). The later games did a good job of keeping that stuff, it seems (well, except for the diamonds and the computer terminal). Far Cry is a pretty series (except for maybe the first one, mostly just because of age).

mysterious loyall Y posted:

I wanted to like far cry 2 a lot more than I did. There was just so much busywork and glum driving dragging it down all the time. 3 and 4 just couldn't hold my interest for the opposite reason, everything's so trivial and lacking in challenge.

I still love pre-mutant Far Cry 1 a lot :(

I missed this while responding to Gestalt Intellect because he quoted me. I like the first part of FC1, too, but I tried it when I got the FC collection on steam, and it just feels (and looks) so old now. It was fun, but I like 2 a lot more (as if that wasn't obvious from my posts).

As far as busywork and driving in 2 goes, I agree with you - everything takes for-loving-ever. I wish that the optional buddy-objectives during story missions weren't on the other side of the loving map almost every drat time. It'd be nice to get a mission done in less than a half hour (with 27 minutes of that being travel time). I like having a big map because it means a variety of locations, but I'd rather not have to cross the whole thing every time. But this is getting into Things Dragging This Game Down territory, so I'll stop.

Fifty Farts has a new favorite as of 21:57 on Feb 2, 2015

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

In Bayonetta 2, one of the things you can buy in Rodin's shop are costumes representing some other Nintendo games, such as Metroid, Mario, and Star Fox. These costumes change little things such as sound effects and small aesthetic changes like replacing Bayonetta's signature pistols with miniature Arwings.

Now, in the later part of the game, there's a section that references SEGA's Afterburner where you fight on top of Jeanne's jet, and you fight the first three bosses of the game. It's a pretty neat section, but if you bring the Star Fox costume to it the entire control scheme changes and becomes Star Fox 64 instead, complete with bombs, charge-up shots and barrel rolls. It's actually a really fun way to play this section and controls completely differently to how it plays in the original level.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

MeatwadIsGod posted:

I'll grant the lightning suit, but the Shagohod doesn't seem like a huge leap and those hover platforms actually had prototypes in the late 1950s :eng101:

The Shagohod wasn't a huge leap, because it already existed, albeit in a more simple form.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Screw_Tank

cowboythreespeech
Dec 28, 2008

David Copperfield posted:

And in Bioshock 2, it's the same with Augustus Sinclair.

I was so sure I'd have to kill that fucker. I mean, I did, but not for the reason I expected.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

Dying Light actually has a lot of little details in it that you'd never notice at first glance. I like that you can see your reflection in some of the weapons.

Another thing I noticed yesterday is that if you sneak up on a human enemy with a gun (a rare weapon in this game) they will put their hands up.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-lFBOVyZsk
If there are a lot of them they will still come at you. I pointed my gun at one and he didn't move because he was alone. It wasn't until I fired and he realized I was out of ammo that he came at me.
One last thing. There is a constant clock ticking in the game that you can check by looking in your inventory. You can also check the world around you, though, and see that the all the clocks match up.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Stick Figure Mafia posted:

Dying Light actually has a lot of little details in it that you'd never notice at first glance. I like that you can see your reflection in some of the weapons.

Another thing I noticed yesterday is that if you sneak up on a human enemy with a gun (a rare weapon in this game) they will put their hands up.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-lFBOVyZsk
If there are a lot of them they will still come at you. I pointed my gun at one and he didn't move because he was alone. It wasn't until I fired and he realized I was out of ammo that he came at me.
One last thing. There is a constant clock ticking in the game that you can check by looking in your inventory. You can also check the world around you, though, and see that the all the clocks match up.

They also throw in lots of weird little things too, like that crazy overpowered sword-in-the-stone that's on a little island offshore called EXPcalibur. And a Silence of the Lambs reference during a quest where you have to rescue a woman being held captive by a crazy man.

Big Grunty Secret
Aug 28, 2007

Just one question, though. Is there a way to take off my pants?

Fingerless Gloves posted:

FTL is all about getting vital information about the Rebels to the Empire, then fighting the Rebel flagship.

How is an empire so outgunned by the rebels when the empire is made up of about 5 times as many races, I just don't understand.

This is from a few pages back but:

-Humans make up the Rebel forces. Those not aligned with the Federation can be allied with the Rebels, see the distress quest where the Rebels are giving medical supplies to civilians.
-Engi are allied with the Federation but presumably a lot of their resources are being poured into construction of the stealth ship for the Federation.
-Mantis had just ended a war with the Federation so they're presumably on uneasy ground.
-Zoltan are a peaceful race and disagree with the concept of war with the Rebels for the sake of war.
-Rock are neutral, probably waiting to see who would win.
-Slug were kicked out of the Federation for their deceitfulness.

So really you only have 2 races (Engi and Human) ready to fight for the Federation, and one is fragmented after a Rebel insurrection.

Little Blue Couch
Oct 19, 2007

WIRED FOR SOUND
AND
DOWN FOR WHATEVER

EmmyOk posted:

No to keep spouting on about MGS3 but I love all the little things they do to make it setting appropriate. It's set during the Cold War which is 40 odd years before the rest of the series starts. Pretty much all the technology from the first game hasn't been invented, so all your stealth technology is way more rudimentary. For example instead of the microscopic radio in your ear, you have a regular little radio. And instead of seeing a video screen of two people talking you instead see a gallery of still images of who you're talking to. It's very :3

Also after Snake loses an eye and gets his eye patch, you put on the Raikov mask he has no eye-patch but he has that eye closed. Kojima-sama ~

Also you can get the prototype of the stealth suit that Solid Snake wears in the later games. It's the best camo in the game bar none but it looks goofy as poo poo.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
Been playing KH:Dream drop, and I really like zipping all over the place.
Also I like when KH does live action levels because the contrast between actual proportioned people and huge wide-eyed anime children is pretty funny.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Little Blue Couch posted:

Also you can get the prototype of the stealth suit that Solid Snake wears in the later games. It's the best camo in the game bar none but it looks goofy as poo poo.

It's also very visually similar to The Boss's

It is the second best camo after the one that is a giant Soviet flag on the front and a giant USA flag behind and prevents soldiers shooting you if you face them. Which is never not funny because they curse at you

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Little Blue Couch posted:

It's not that goofy

The worst I can say is that outside of sneaking in the dark it probably wouldn't be the most fantastic camo ever since it doesn't do much to obscure the human form (which our brain is super good at spotting and why ghillie suits are so effective) but apparently it helps dampen sounds made while moving... somehow. Also you can't see it in the pic I provided but I swear there is a weird cord that goes across both shoulders but hovers around a full two inches above them. Hm. But in any case it's not nearly as goofy as the Boss' sneaking suit:

That's not a sneaking suit, that's a wearable space blanket. :colbert:

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.
Isn't it flat out said in game that those sneaking suits were developed from cosmonaut spacesuits? They definitely borrow the aesthetic of them if not in colour, necessarily.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

And if you gaze long enough into a nest, the nest will gaze back into you.
I don't remember that, but The Boss was definitely an astronaut at one point in her life so it is very plausible.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
On that note, one of my favorite of the billion little things in MGS3 is that you could get special camo by taking down bosses non lethally. It was a cool way to incentivize a different play style, and each camo had some added benefit in line with that boss' abilities. For example, The End's camo is photosynthetic and helps heal you when you're in direct sunlight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Grunty Secret
Aug 28, 2007

Just one question, though. Is there a way to take off my pants?

Who What Now posted:

It's not that goofy

apparently it helps dampen sounds made while moving... somehow.

The rationale is probably that a form-fitting suit has less cloth that would rustle and snag on stuff as you crawled around, hence being quieter. The sneaking suit also puts pressure on internal organs and has bulletproof material sewn into it, lessening the chance of a serious injury while wearing it.