Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
4gb is not enough for chrome, not even just chrome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Captain Foo posted:

lol at ipv6
nah its ok, also i dont really need ip6tables fuckery, firewalld seems to do the trick

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos

Sassafras fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Feb 4, 2015

pram
Jun 10, 2001

why is he telling stallman to install linux

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
i get ipv6 with my twc cable internet and it just works op

looks like my web browser even uses it for stuff sometimes.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Mr Dog posted:

i can't get 6 to work on my twc :(

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
get a modem made in the last 10 years

if you janitor you own home router then well lol but uh i guess see if the router itself gets a /128 and then set up dhcp6-pd so that it gets a /64. then set up radvd so the rest of your network also gets that /64. but i think i'm the only person itt broken enough to janitor their own router.

or maybe live in nyc idk, this poo poo worked out of the box for me.

the /64 seems static too, which surprised me but i guess it makes ad tracking and datamining easier.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
i am already in nyc.

it works fine if i plug in a pc (slaac, maybe?), but peer discovery seems broken when i plug in a router

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Mr Dog posted:

if you janitor you own home router then well lol but uh i guess see if the router itself gets a /128 and then set up dhcp6-pd so that it gets a /64. then set up radvd so the rest of your network also gets that /64. but i think i'm the only person itt broken enough to janitor their own router.

nah, you've got company. twc gives out prefixes via dhcpv6 so your router needs to support it and you need to allow udp incoming on port 546 from source port 547 in the firewall to allow the replies through. you can actually get a /56 from them if you configure the prefix-hint.

unlike my v4 address that's been the same since forever i've had the v6 address change after a modem reboot. it has a 6+ day expiration and the modem was only down for one minute so idk.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

blowfish posted:

I will laugh so hard if the reason is that trackpoint buttons are now physically attached to the touchpad instead of the keyboard because if it ain't broke then break it (then I will buy a used T440s to replace the palm rest with a T450s one and realise they're like 0.5mm different in size because gently caress you :retrogames:)
called it

and apparently you can actually rip out the dumb t440s clickpad and replace it with this

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
I think that you will actually find that chromebooks are garbage and the best momputer is the glorious ipad descended straight from stebe. You can even put a keyboard on it if you really spergin

Captain Pike
Jul 29, 2003

blowfish posted:

and apparently you can actually rip out the dumb t440s clickpad and replace it with this

Woah... Do you have a link? Also, can you put the touchpad in so the buttons are on the bottom???

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

ZShakespeare posted:

I think that you will actually find that chromebooks are garbage and the best momputer is the glorious ipad descended straight from stebe. You can even put a keyboard on it if you really spergin

or the 13" mba if she needs to do anything at all beyond internet

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

Mr Dog posted:

i had to disable it on the linode i use for ssh tunneled browsing because google by default blocks all their ipv6 traffic

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

it's not even a good linux laptop, because lol 4G of RAM

They are still selling models with 2gb soldered to the board.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

pram posted:

well it has a browser and a terminal. what else would you do on a linux on the laptop...

I can run all the latest versions of my favorite software and games.

mutt
cmus
elinks
gnu emacs
nethack

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
i'm just waiting for systemd-networkd to get a bit more advanced so that i don't have to dick around orchestrating a bunch of Internet Software Consortium garbage and iptables garbage just to get decent networking going

but apparently further progress on networkd depends on kdbus for some reason (??)

There Will Be Penalty
May 18, 2002

Makes a great pet!

SYSV Fanfic posted:

I can run all the latest versions of my favorite software and games.

cmus

never heard of that one, gotta check it out sometime

:spergin:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

ahmeni posted:

i had to disable it on the linode i use for ssh tunneled browsing because google by default blocks all their ipv6 traffic
hmm. can you tell me how to do so? i have linode which i would want to use similarly, amongst other things, and this seems to be a huge bummer :(

med school head
Apr 17, 2012

Mr Dog posted:

i'm just waiting for systemd-networkd to get a bit more advanced so that i don't have to dick around orchestrating a bunch of Internet Software Consortium garbage and iptables garbage just to get decent networking going

but apparently further progress on networkd depends on kdbus for some reason (??)

it took me like almost 2 days to figure out that fedora swsitched to firewalld stupid poo poo linux

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

for someone who hasn't cjd an awful lot of linux firewalls, firewalld seems to be more straightforward than iptables

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

posting this for 2015

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Last Chance posted:

posting this for 2015

1/5 - No evidence of spasticity or cerebral palsy.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

kalstrams posted:

for someone who hasn't cjd an awful lot of linux firewalls, firewalld seems to be more straightforward than iptables

pretty much anything would be more straightforward than iptables

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

iptables ignores the fundamental design principle of making your API a C callable shared library in favor of a command line tool that can't even be reasonably shell scripted.

firewalld, despite being kind of crap itself, manages to improve over iptables by treating it as a write-only interface

med school head
Apr 17, 2012

kalstrams posted:

yeah anything is better than loving iptables

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

kalstrams posted:

hmm. can you tell me how to do so? i have linode which i would want to use similarly, amongst other things, and this seems to be a huge bummer :(

it's disto specific so it's usually just a matter of googling 'centos disable ipv6' and following the instructions

the flip side to this unfortunately is that Google thinks my IPv4 address is based in Taiwan so I get all my searches defaulted to Chinese language unless I'm signed into goop

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer
oh and make sure you're tunnelling DNS too

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
i have a chromebook with a linux installed running that gnome 3 doohickey and it works pretty good. doesn't even need any weird fuckery anymore to get suspend and the trackpad working since some recent kernel version. pretty nice little computer for sitting in bed typing code though the screen is steaming poo poo and acer utterly refused to sell me one with an american keyboard since i live in a country that has quebecors in it :(

that reminds me; on a Canuk multilingual keyboard the left shift and enter keys are gimped to make room for useless accent keys I will never use. is there any way to rebind or alias those keys to work as actual shift and enter keys?

Sauer fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Feb 3, 2015

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Sauer posted:

i have a chromebook with a linux installed running that gnome 3 doohickey and it works pretty good. doesn't even need any weird fuckery anymore to get suspend and the trackpad working since some recent kernel version. pretty nice little computer for sitting in bed typing code though the screen is steaming poo poo and acer utterly refused to sell me one with an american keyboard since i live in a country that has quebecors in it :(

canadian laptops are a crime against humanity

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
yup

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy
e:

Roargasm fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Aug 10, 2015

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Roargasm posted:

there is someone out there who can pull off desktop linux, but it is a virtual certainty that he will never install it

pretty funny

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

ahmeni posted:

it's disto specific so it's usually just a matter of googling 'centos disable ipv6' and following the instructions

it is not distro specific. it's one sysctl. add this to /etc/sysctl.conf and reboot:
code:
net.ipv6.conf.all.disable_ipv6 = 1

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

it is not distro specific. it's one sysctl. add this to /etc/sysctl.conf and reboot:
code:

I normally disable per interface because I've got another interface I use IPv6 poo poo for but yeah

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

code:

ahmeni posted:

I normally disable per interface because I've got another interface I use IPv6 poo poo for but yeah
alright, thanks :) i do not have anything ipv6-exclusive planned so i just rolled out b.s.d's fix

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

http://crunchbang.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=38916

RIP

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

what were they?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Subjunctive posted:

what were they?

linux distro, looks like

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Subjunctive posted:

what were they?

Very minimalist Debian-based distro running on openbox. Generally really solid for what it was