Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Frostwerks posted:

Why would he need their clothes it's clear they have a full closet full of them.

You don't get a closet full of clothes by throwing away perfectly good outfits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
In Assassinanny, Hank accidentally stabs himself with Molotov's poison heel and hallucinates Molotov talking to him. She has cold breath coming out of her mouth. What's that a reference to?

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP

Steve Yun posted:

Finished season 2 rewatch.

One of the running gags I have an appreciation for now is that in the first episode of season 2, 24 says they stole parts from Sgt Hatred's hovertank to get the Monarch's cocoon up and running again. In the season finale, Sgt Hatred shows up at the Monarch's wedding and is loudly complaining that he recognizes some of the stolen parts from his hovertank in the cocoon. Finally in season 5 we see Sgt Hatred's hovertank in the flesh, as it shoots down the cocoon and returns it to the condition it was in at the beginning of season 2.

Another thing is the moment in "All This and Gargantua 2" when we see Jonas Sr and think that he was the mastermind behind everything for a second. I realize now that this was just a running gag to make us think "OMG it's Jonas Sr!" several times throughout the series. When Jonas Jr first shows up with the robot body, when the alien shows up through a portal to save Earth and they're dressed like Jonas Sr, Rusty's hallucinations on Gargantua 1... they've been messing with us all this time.

There are way too many other running gags to count, so I'm not even going to try.

One of the things that went downhill on this show is the art direction. Sure, the animation is better, but the line art really suffers in season 5 for some reason.

Take a look at this screenshot from season 1 for example. The lines have very defined shapes, have varying thickness as if being painted by something simulating a brush, and the corners are all very sharp and angular.

Season 5 however, all the lines seem to have uniform thickness and are just blobby and meandering. There's a lot more movement in this new style of animation, but the individual frames are not quite as nice to look at.

The art isn't meant to been seen as still shots. Uniform thickness is much easier to deal with in animation since it's practically impossible to keep the thickness consistent from frame to frame. It's not really impossible, but it would take so much more time and money, that why do it? It looks fuckn' wonderful in motion. I mean, just look at the difference of backgrounds between those two pictures you compared, the second one is much nicer, I really don't see how you can say the art direction has gone down hill when that's pretty much the primary thing that's been improved.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011
Plus I think that season 5 had some amazing still shots used in the promotion. Dean's redecorated room and Ben's home in particular were gorgeous to look at as stills.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
The amount of detail per character also went way up. The amount of effort to draw Hunter even once is kind of astonishing for an animated character, all the stars and zippers and whatzit.

WrathOfBlade
May 30, 2011

Frostwerks posted:

Why would he need their clothes it's clear they have a full closet full of them.
"You're kidding, right? That's the only outfit I've ever seen you in!"
"Well that doesn't mean I never wash it."

Re: art direction - I feel like it went the same way as a lot of long-running animated shows in terms of flattening out for the sake of consistency. Everything looks kind of stiff and we don't get the great highs of the early seasons, but it's also been a while since Orpheus' face turned into a gross neocubist nightmare.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Slime posted:

You don't get a closet full of clothes by throwing away perfectly good outfits.

I read this in Rusty's voice :allears:

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Jerusalem posted:

I read this in Rusty's voice :allears:

I did too.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Megaspel posted:

The art isn't meant to been seen as still shots.

That's not even remotely true. Stills from animated films have been appreciated since forever. And even in TV animation, things are staying still long enough that you can soak in the artwork.

I mean, I'm not arguing that overall production value hasn't gone up; it's clear that more man hours of work are being thrown at the animation now. There are more frames of animation, and fewer instances of partial animation. But one of the side effects of the economical first few seasons was that because frames were going to stay on screen longer, they did better looking line work on each.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Feb 2, 2015

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
If this were a movie, sure, go balls out and make it look amazing. It's a cartoon on cartoon network, I don't really care how it looks as long as it isn't Tom Goes to the Mayor.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Jerusalem posted:

Brock looks weird to me now without the shadows around his eyes - it's also kinda weird seeing Dr. Mrs The Monarch in her old Jackie-O gear now that I'm used to her current costume.

What I loved about this is that it was her look for such a long time, and at that party in Home is Where the Hate Is, she was so inexplicably unfamiliar with this woman whose look she nails to a T that she can't even seem to pronounce the name properly: "Who the hell is Jack-leen Onassis?"

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

tarlibone posted:

What I loved about this is that it was her look for such a long time, and at that party in Home is Where the Hate Is, she was so inexplicably unfamiliar with this woman whose look she nails to a T that she can't even seem to pronounce the name properly: "Who the hell is Jack-leen Onassis?"

I made this reference PAGES ago, dammit.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.
I'm actually bitterly disappointed that the 'Two sets of arms' revelation wasn't a set up for a Mecha-Shiva joke.

Also speaking of Cubist-Nightmare screencaps:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Steve Yun posted:

In Assassinanny, Hank accidentally stabs himself with Molotov's poison heel and hallucinates Molotov talking to him. She has cold breath coming out of her mouth. What's that a reference to?

I thought it was just a call out to the fact that she smokes like a chimney, but I wouldn't doubt it being another obscure pop culture reference.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Cojawfee posted:

If this were a movie, sure, go balls out and make it look amazing. It's a cartoon on cartoon network, I don't really care how it looks as long as it isn't Tom Goes to the Mayor.
I'm sorry you feel this way, because this show looks gorgeous if you ask me. One of the things I really appreciate about it is the art and animation, just as much as the writing and voice acting.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Starting season 3... closest thing I've seen to an explanation for Dr Girlfriend's voice is that she's been hiding her smoking habit from the Monarch all this time and he finally caught her smoking at the housewarming party Sgt Hatred is holding for Venture at Phantom Limb's old house

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Was she smoking them or eating them?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Steve Yun posted:

Starting season 3... closest thing I've seen to an explanation for Dr Girlfriend's voice is that she's been hiding her smoking habit from the Monarch all this time and he finally caught her smoking at the housewarming party Sgt Hatred is holding for Venture at Phantom Limb's old house

It's at Hatred's house, in the same neighborhood as Phantom Limb's old house which now contains the Monarch. We go into Hatred's personal basement.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Pick posted:

It's at Hatred's house, in the same neighborhood as Phantom Limb's old house which now contains the Monarch. We go into Hatred's personal basement.

Hatred having a 70's style wood-panel basement is just so right for some reason.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

SRM posted:

I'm sorry you feel this way, because this show looks gorgeous if you ask me. One of the things I really appreciate about it is the art and animation, just as much as the writing and voice acting.

The show looks great but I'm not going to criticize it because it doesn't have varying brush strokes or whatever.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Uhhhh were they hinting that Dr Quymn's mom had a fling with Jonas Sr?

And that Rusty almost had sex with his half sister? I totally missed that the first time around :psyduck:

edit: oh yeah, forgot that Jonas Sr and Quymn's mom made out on top of Rusty's couch fort

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Feb 2, 2015

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Steve Yun posted:

Jonas Sr had sex with everyone.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Nintendo Kid posted:

Jonas Sr had sex with everyone.

That alien from season 2 said he just took the form of Jonas, Sr. to provide an image that Rusty would be comfortable with, but really it's because Jonas is his dad.

Jonas got busy with every one and every thing. :huh:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Hahahahahah and in Now Museum, Col Gentleman shows up and punches Rusty, saying that that was for breaking his step-daughter's heart. If only he knew...

The wiki says Mz Quymn is a parody of Silver Sable, but when I see Col Gentleman and her together as a duo I think she's more of a riff off of Emma Peel.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Steve Yun posted:

And that Rusty almost had sex with his half sister? I totally missed that the first time around :psyduck:

It doesn't mean that's the only person Dr. Quymn's mother ever slept with or is necessarily Quymn's father.

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?

Pick posted:

It doesn't mean that's the only person Dr. Quymn's mother ever slept with or is necessarily Quymn's father.

But the red hair and angular chins make them uncomfortably close in appearance.

Not to mention they both had twins, which seems to run in the family (Doc had a twin he absorbed, JJ. Then had twins of his own, and Quymn had twins of her own.)

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I figured they definitely were siblings because then it's luke and Leia and we can't let a star wars through

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Steve Yun posted:

Haha, please turn in your red text and gun.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Okay okay, it's been several years. Geez.

Okay so I noticed that when Sally Impossible got with JJ, she starts nagging him like she nagged Prof Impossible. At first I thought she was sympathetic in Ice Station Impossible, but then after seeing her nagging JJ I thought maybe Rusty was lucky he didn't get with her.

Like, Rusty was lucky he didn't get with Dr Quymn, because she was his half sister.

Maybe there's a running theme that as bad as Rusty thinks his life is, he should count his lucky stars because his traumas were actually blessings in disguise?

edit: Speaking of overanalyzing cartoons I'm now on ORB, where Billy is looking for ridiculously obscure clues in the old Rusty Venture cartoon

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Feb 2, 2015

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

"Sometimes you never see the bullets you miss."

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

Steve Yun posted:

Okay so I noticed that when Sally Impossible got with JJ, she starts nagging him like she nagged Prof Impossible. At first I thought she was sympathetic in Ice Station Impossible, but then after seeing her nagging JJ I thought maybe Rusty was lucky he didn't get with her.
She did? I don't remember that. I remember her being upset at JJ for inviting her ex-husband to the opening, but I can't remember any really annoying nagging.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Well there's also that moment when she scolds Prof Impossible in Gargantua 2 to come home and make sure their kid has a dad.

Am I wrong to say she's being a nag? She has a point each time, but it seems like she's always portrayed as being upset.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
She honestly isn't portrayed well in the show. In her first appearance she's fed up with her aloof husband and goes out of her way to try and cheat on him, and in every future appearance she's kind of depicted as a hardass.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

JT Jag posted:

She honestly isn't portrayed well in the show. In her first appearance she's fed up with her aloof husband and goes out of her way to try and cheat on him, and in every future appearance she's kind of depicted as a hardass.

I think the portrayal is fine, she just apparently has a "type", and that "type" is condescending douchebags, which causes understandable frustration on her part.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
I think we just didn't see enough of her to get a truly good feel for her character. She's only in a handful of episodes and she was only centrally important to the episode that introduced her (Ice Station Impossible).

If she had had more screen time maybe she'd have gotten a more fleshed out characterization and we'd know exactly what kind of person she is. As it stands she's very ambiguous.

Soapy_Bumslap
Jun 19, 2013

We're gonna need a bigger chode
Grimey Drawer

Pick posted:

"I can't believe we live in a town called Malice."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfpRm-p7qlY

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

NOT TODAY, RUSTY.

NOT TODAY.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

theflyingexecutive posted:

Was she smoking them or eating them?

My favorite fan assumption was, and I hope I'm remembering this right, that the voice was because she's King Gorillas daughter.

e.gently caress that was a long time ago

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

deong posted:

My favorite fan assumption was, and I hope I'm remembering this right, that the voice was because she's King Gorillas daughter.

e.gently caress that was a long time ago

Isn't King Gorilla gay, though?

Or was he only gay because of prison?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
"You eviscerated and sodomized Vince Neil on national television."

"Hey, I only sodomized half of him!"