Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

zapjackson posted:

No way, man. Going back into the same space with new tools to traverse it more efficiently was really great.

Speaking of great, y'know what was great? Having Gary from Duckfeed on the most recent episode of Video Games Hot Dog.

The only bad thing about Phantom Hourglass was the control scheme.

Speaking of bad, y'know what was bad? Yoshi's Island.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Master-D did nothing wrong

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

C-Euro posted:

I don't begrudge anyone for liking Super Metroid, but like I said I grew up on Marios and Mega Mans (Mega Men?) where the platforming is really tight since you're generally moving in one direction and there's more action to the gameplay. When I came to Super Metroid over 15 years after my first formative platformer experiences, the controls were just waaay too floaty and loose for me, which is probably better for an exploration-based platformer but I did not like them at all (also the knockback which is really jarring because it's not floaty at all). I liked Zero Mission and liked Fusion more than most people specifically because the controls felt much tighter.

Also yes, Link's Awakening was my first Zelda game and I would love to see it re-visited, I think it has that same otherworld-ness that Majora's Mask has and the world felt HUGE at the time (probably because of how it was tiled off). Nintendo should give it the same treatment they "gave" A Link to the Past when they made A Link Between Worlds.

Playing Zero Mission for the first time and it's so good

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

The floaty jumping and stuff is just pure Metroid to me, and I actually don't like that they went away from it in Fusion and Zero Mission. Not that those aren't great games, but I really love the feel of Super Metroid because it's so unique, there's nothing else quite like it. The physics allow you to actually be kind of creative with your jumping and do maneuvers in the air and such, which isn't a thing that ever really happens in platformers.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
I don't know anything about this videogame you played for Abject Suffering or if you were intentionally ignoring this but I'm pretty sure all those names are puns on things like "kernel of truth" and "doctor's orders"

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.

HMS Boromir posted:

I don't know anything about this videogame you played for Abject Suffering or if you were intentionally ignoring this but I'm pretty sure all those names are puns on things like "kernel of truth" and "doctor's orders"

Well, I feel like the densest dummy.

On an unrelated note, we're doing t-shirts now. Check out the first design. http://teespring.com/watch-out-for-fireballs-logo

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Song For The Deaf posted:

Well, I feel like the densest dummy.

On an unrelated note, we're doing t-shirts now. Check out the first design. http://teespring.com/watch-out-for-fireballs-logo

This t-shirt is Cool and I will Buy One.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

New Retronauts is up about games that jumped the shark, though I guess it's secretly a "bad sequels" episode: http://www.usgamer.net/articles/this-weeks-retronauts-gets-an-aaaaay-for-effort

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Final Fantasy 13 was a huge deal, I think you guys are letting the whole 13 universe and years of hindsight dull the impact of that game's expectations. Keep in mind it was partly a huge deal because it was the first time ever Microsoft got a Final Fantasy game on the console (4 discs, though).

Also, you might be mixing up two Xbox Rpgs. Blue Dragon was made by the Dragon Quest guys, Lost Odyssey was the FF guys.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey were both Mistwalker games, Mistwalker being former FF bigshot Hironobu Sakaguchi's production studio.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Tae posted:

Final Fantasy 13 was a huge deal, I think you guys are letting the whole 13 universe and years of hindsight dull the impact of that game's expectations. Keep in mind it was partly a huge deal because it was the first time ever Microsoft got a Final Fantasy game on the console (4 discs, though).

Also, you might be mixing up two Xbox Rpgs. Blue Dragon was made by the Dragon Quest guys, Lost Odyssey was the FF guys.

Well for years the mainstream narrative was that FF13 was a war crimes grade abomination, so taking a step back and recognizing it's actually just a mediocre JRPG is a good move IMO

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

icantfindaname posted:

Well for years the mainstream narrative was that FF13 was a war crimes grade abomination, so taking a step back and recognizing it's actually just a mediocre JRPG is a good move IMO

It's a little worse than mediocre but its not an abomination like say the Ar Tonelico games. Or as unplayable as say Hoshigami: Ruining Blue Earth.

Haruharuharuko fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Feb 3, 2015

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
I was hoping new Retronauts would have focused more on individual games.

"This Bionic Commando reboot actually wasn't that bad until we found out his wife was in his arm"

Something like that.

The Fabula Nova Crystalis observation was right on point though as far as I'm concerned. I think you guys are focusing a bit too much on just FF13. That poo poo show extended way beyond that.

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Timett posted:

The Fabula Nova Crystalis observation was right on point though as far as I'm concerned. I think you guys are focusing a bit too much on just FF13. That poo poo show extended way beyond that.

Actually almost all of that transmedia/ multi-game universe stuff got pulled. As Versus 13 and Agito 13 got made into 15 and Type 0 and are in their own universes. The only connecting games are now 13-2 and 13-3, and the "interview"/ fanfic thing about Lightning.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
None of the games came out but the impact of them planning their whole console generation around it was felt pretty hard I think.

I expect something similar from this big slate of Zack Snyder DC Universe films planned out over the next 10 years or whatever.

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Timett posted:

None of the games came out but the impact of them planning their whole console generation around it was felt pretty hard I think.

I expect something similar from this big slate of Zack Snyder DC Universe films planned out over the next 10 years or whatever.

Agreed and man that DC stuff is going to crash and burn so hard it will actually kill Superman.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.
After the Three Stooges conversation in Abject Suffering, I have to point to the short "You Nazty Spy". We screened it in one of my film classes last semester alongside some wartime Looney Tunes and it... has a similar historical appeal, if you're into lame cornball humor interspersed with then-timely gags that seem uncharacteristically audacious 70 years later.

Opposing Farce fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Feb 3, 2015

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I really enjoyed the latest crate and crowbar "The Schrödonger Effect" is an episode name jake would be proud of. :) Those guys are nailing it recently

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

bobservo posted:

New Retronauts is up about games that jumped the shark, though I guess it's secretly a "bad sequels" episode: http://www.usgamer.net/articles/this-weeks-retronauts-gets-an-aaaaay-for-effort

I absolutely lost it when you all began piecing together when Bioware jumped the shark at the end, just because of the swift progression to the only possible end point.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Jippa posted:

I really enjoyed the latest crate and crowbar "The Schrödonger Effect" is an episode name jake would be proud of. :) Those guys are nailing it recently

Yeah C&C is fantastic. Love those dudes.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Mister Adequate posted:

Every single Metroid game is bad.

This might or might not be true depending on your opinion and I'm willing to respect anyone's onionss on the metroid series as long as they agree with me that Hunters might be one of the legitimately worst games ever invented.

As for Zelda, I love the idea of the zelda games - that grand sprawling adventure but I've never had my interest hooked long enough to see a single game in the series through. In fairness I don't think I properly sat down and played one till Wind Waker when I was 18.

Just another casual reminder that if they invent time-travel I need to go back and beat into my 12 year old selfs head to ask for a freaking N64 for Christmas.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Ramagamma posted:

Hunters might be one of the legitimately worst games ever invented.
I remember getting First Hunt with my DS Chunky and being totally blown away by it - but of course, that novelty had largely dissipated by the time the full game showed up. A tech demo that probably should have never made it all the way to a full release.

Also the online multiplayer was completely hosed by hacking, which was kinda amusing in its own way.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

bobservo posted:

I liked this episode but yes, I think everyone came into it with a different definition of jumping the shark, which turned some of the threads you followed into "unpopular sequels". The first thread about Sonic was probably the best one for what I think jumping the shark is - the series has unquestionably been in decline, and been that way for long enough such that you have enough time to look back on and say "OK when did this start?" IMO others like Metal Gear Solid and Zelda can't have jumped the shark if you then turn around and say "but MGS3/LBW" brought it back, once you jump you can't un-jump.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

bobservo posted:

I disagree with a lot of the statements in this episode, but I was really, really into Final Fantasy when 11 came out (and also wanted to be able to say I've beaten all of the mainline ones), and the fact that it was a terrible MMO pretty much broke my brain. Also in nothing else, I agree about Assassin's Creed.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Timett posted:

I was hoping new Retronauts would have focused more on individual games.

"This Bionic Commando reboot actually wasn't that bad until we found out his wife was in his arm"

Something like that.

Actually that Bionic Commando reboot WAS that bad, because they had a lot of invisible radiation clouds which would kill you for jumping too high, and even the irradiated-walls sprite was inconsistent with which portions of many buildings were grapple-able, to the point that some of the poisonous blue walls you could grab, and others wouldn't even let you fire your arm.

The multiplayer was legitimately fun though, swinging around trying to shoot dudes with a sniper rifle in midair was a blast, except again for the nearly invisible poison clouds which could kill you in a handful of seconds - sometimes you'd throw yourself up into the air and couldn't even freefall fast enough to get out of the poisonous poo poo.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
I actually never played it I just remember another podcast coining the phrase "wife armed" as basically a game version of jumping the shark so that was the first thing I though of. I can't remember which podcast though...

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

It was the Joystiq podcast, back in the Grant/Kietzmann/McElroy days.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
I thought it might be. I miss Ludwig. Was Joystiq still putting out a podcast? I stopped paying attention after the polygon split. I gave Super Joystiq Podcast a shot back aroundthat time but it wasn't the same

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

Ludwig was a regular host on the most recent version of the Joystiq podcast. I listened to it for him, but the host chemistry fell short of the original trio.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
The main thing I know about the Joystiq podcast was that my uncle was on it once.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...

The Vosgian Beast posted:

The main thing I know about the Joystiq podcast was that my uncle was on it once.

Does he work at Nintendo?

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Timett posted:

Does he work at Nintendo?

Yes and a Twine game was made about him

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
It's not game related but it is podcast related, I am watching Twin Peaks for the first time along with the Idle Thumbs rewatch and this is all I can think of after the latest episode I watched (Lonely Souls)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0_eTYwKoBE

Enjoying the heck outta it.

ONE YEAR LATER fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Feb 4, 2015

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

I am mad IRL about Retronauts talking poo poo about FFTA2.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Mister Adequate posted:

I am mad IRL about Retronauts talking poo poo about FFTA2.
Episode 1 Pod Racer too :mad:

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

The new WOFF! about Jet Set Radio is out. We dig it.

http://duckfeed.tv/woff/93

Up next is Star Control 2 (with special guest Zack from VGHD), our special about Game Books (like Lone Wolf and CYOAs and stuff), and then an episode about Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Are we four weeks from a new Thumbs theme song? I love the current one, but it's always great to hear what Chris comes up with.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare.

Can't say I saw that one coming. Should be interesting.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare.

Whoa

HMS Boromir posted:

Can't say I saw that one coming. Should be interesting.

It should seeing that it is the first FPS set in modern times, and released in a time where FPS where about shooting mans and less hilarious and overblown spectacle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I'm excited to talk about it. I remember liking the game when it came out, then falling out of love with the series for the commonly cited reasons.

It feels like an important game to talk about. We're generally dismissive of modern war games/shoot-mans, and specifically dismissive of CoD as being emblematic of AAA bloat. CoD4 is an apparent turning point, and it's worthwhile to examine that.

• Locked thread