Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

DivisionPost posted:

Of course he won't, I'm just bored and curious. A deadly combination.

You should watch the show. It's pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
The best part is that they've never even hinted at any kind of romantic connection. It's not like they had A Moment, or stare at each other while the other's not looking. It's seriously one of the most well-realized and nuanced male-female relationships ever put on TV and it's hilarious that the dude completely missed like the central thematic point of the entire show and thinks Sherlock just wants to sleep with her.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

So DP is shipping shows he hasn't seen at this point. I know nothing was on last night but whoa.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

VDay posted:

The best part is that they've never even hinted at any kind of romantic connection.

That's just because you see the world through a homonormative lense.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Sherlock did say that Watson might be curious about him sexually since she slept with his brother.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Irish Joe posted:

That's just because you see the world through a homonormative lense.

I want glasses that let me see the world through a Joemonormative lense.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

IRQ posted:

I want glasses that let me see the world through a Joemonormative lense.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

VDay posted:

The best part is that they've never even hinted at any kind of romantic connection. It's not like they had A Moment, or stare at each other while the other's not looking. It's seriously one of the most well-realized and nuanced male-female relationships ever put on TV and it's hilarious that the dude completely missed like the central thematic point of the entire show and thinks Sherlock just wants to sleep with her.

CBS is getting weirdly good at having shows that let their male and female characters be friends without any romantic tension at all.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

xeria posted:

CBS is getting weirdly good at having shows that let their male and female characters be friends without any romantic tension at all.

Excluding PoI.

I really still don't see where that came from.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

IRQ posted:

Excluding PoI.

Wait, what?

There was never anything romantic ever mentioned, hinted at, joked about at all except Root's constant flirting with Shaw. All the other main cast are as platonic as it gets. Except Carter and Reese, but that was literally right before she died just to twist the knife

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

He's talking about the s3 kiss which was improv'd, not in the script and should not have made the final edit based on how everyone involved talked about it after it aired.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

VDay posted:

On the other hand, they made Moriarti female and had Sherlock sleep with her, which I guess was their way of getting their personal fanfiction urges out of the way.

And they had Watson sleep with Mycroft.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

raditts posted:

On the other hand, they made Moriarti female and had Sherlock sleep with her, which I guess was their way of getting their personal fanfiction urges out of the way.

And they had Watson sleep with Mycroft.

Ok yeah that sounds like they're encouraging shipping at that point.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I think I have found the creepiest sitcom ever. I know a lot of bad, one season shows but this somehow stayed off my radar.

For extra creep and ick factor, the person who created this would eventually make Small Wonder.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Somehow Black Mirror was entirely off my radar until this afternoon, and I've just watched episodes 1-3.

I'm not sure how to feel now. They were all beautiful and depressing and sad and wonderful all at once. I'm uncomfortable and I just want to watch more.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

Thumbtacks posted:

I'm not sure how to feel now. They were all beautiful and depressing and sad and wonderful all at once. I'm uncomfortable and I just want to watch more.

blackmirror.txt

It owns.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Update on the great X-Files Season 1 rewatch. Just finished Darkness Falls and Toombs. Where the hell can I find TV like this again? With this much atmosphere, subdued emotion, intelligent and driven characters. I hate to bring up Fringe again (which a show I really liked, but think fell apart as it went full bore mythology towards its latter seasons), but even at its height, second season or so, no individual episodes ever took the time to go this slow, really sinking into characterization and mood (like a mini movie, as I said before). Some of the imagery will (and has) haunted me for years.

Again, I really do think that serialization and emphasis on zippy and comfortable character dynamics (one cooky nerd, two hot leads that inevitably hook up) in not only that show, but in most drama shows in the last few years, really kills that kind of focus on individual installments (something that X-Files also managed to fall into, ironically enough).

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Mahlertov Cocktail posted:

blackmirror.txt

It owns.

Actually this is blackmirror.txt

quote:

The Old Straight Track
A woman drives a sinister car down a sinister road. She is texting. She is in the hospital after being struck by a driver who was texting; the first half of the episode is only a dream. Her physician “blocks” her on Facebook after having an argument with his son, which kills her in real life. She goes to Hell. In Hell she is forced to derive ironic punishments for other women who have texted while driving.

The Clearinghouse Dolls
A bunch of dolls just kill everybody because they’re all so busy staring at their phones.

Be Seeing You
The hypocrities of our modern society are exposed.

Grendel’s Mother Pays A Visit At Tea-Time
A woman falls out of a plane and wakes up to find that it wasn’t a plane at all. It was her seven-year-old daughter, who she had murdered because she kept blocking the screen while she (the mother, that is) was trying to watch reality television. Now she’s trapped inside of reality television, and all of the judges are seven-year-old girls with cattle prods. The real monster is society.

An Innocuous Everyday Phrase Imbued With Sinister Meaning Due To Context
A kindly-looking old woman wipes your memory with the trigger phrase “the perils of the technology we rely on in our daily lives.” You won’t remember seeing this episode.

The Sum Of All Feels
A mandatory update to popular social media site MyTunes requires all users to upload their dreams in a continuous loop to an external server. A group of teens is selected to reenact every single dream sequence based on the popularity of their Vines. Maria, a teen, finds herself recreating her best friend Jared’s dreams, and must give up one of her internal organs to a wealthy invalid with every line she flubs.

Raise High The Red String
what if phones, but too much

Nice Weather If You Don’t Mind Rain
Marie Antoinette wakes up on the final day of her life perplexed by the fact that her courtiers insist on speaking to her in modern English. She discovers she is living inside of a vast Reddit simulation, and the only way to free herself is by stopping Hitler, who has disguised himself as the duchess of Marseilles.

The Final Flight Of Marie Templeton
It’s Google Glass, but it’s your whole body, and Marie jumps out the window.

The Men Who Left
It’s Christmas, but everybody’s dead because nobody just reads anymore, you know? Nobody lifts their heads up for a second from those infernal pocket jailers we call phones to even cross the street before being merrily struck by a car. And everyone’s on Twitter, and that’s just terrible, and you’ve murdered everyone, and now it’s Christmas half the time, and murder the other half, and phones all of the time, and it’s all television’s fault.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

So Black Mirror is basically The Scary Door?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

raditts posted:

So Black Mirror is basically The Scary Door?

Does the door have a facebook account?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The first episode of Black Mirror was so bad, I've never gotten around to the others. Which is a shame, as I imagine I'd like the Bain/Armstrong one. Maybe I'll give a further attempt now the mere thought of Charlie Brooker's existence doesn't send me into a blind rage anymore.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Lycus posted:

All gorillas are perverts! Look at Koko!

This made me look up Koko on Wiki and I read about the cat thing and now I'm overcome with unwanted feelings. Thanks bud.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

EL BROMANCE posted:

The first episode of Black Mirror was so bad, I've never gotten around to the others. Which is a shame, as I imagine I'd like the Bain/Armstrong one. Maybe I'll give a further attempt now the mere thought of Charlie Brooker's existence doesn't send me into a blind rage anymore.

You should probably keep watching, the second episode is probably one of the best. The first is a really weird thing that doesn't wholly fit in with the rest of the series as much at times. It's not the worst episode either.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I like Black Mirror but all of the MEGA TWISTS and SOCIAL SATIRES are of a similar cloth.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

IRQ posted:

Excluding PoI.

Yeah, that was incredibly cheap, bad storytelling that came out of nowhere and went against everything we'd seen from that character. It came in the programme's worst run of episodes and more than anything else makes me think PoI might turn to poo poo in the following seasons.

Utterly unearned. Baffling that anyone thought it was appropriate.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

zoux posted:

I like Black Mirror but all of the MEGA TWISTS and SOCIAL SATIRES are of a similar cloth.
You can only do so much with an anthology show, really.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Yeah the pig loving episode is definitely the worst. I enjoyed all the others much more.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Is it like Tales from the Crypt?

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Yeah, that was incredibly cheap, bad storytelling that came out of nowhere and went against everything we'd seen from that character. It came in the programme's worst run of episodes and more than anything else makes me think PoI might turn to poo poo in the following seasons.

Utterly unearned. Baffling that anyone thought it was appropriate.

What?

...What?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

xeria posted:

What?

...What?

Talking about the Reese/Carter kiss. I never gave it a second thought but apparently a few people got really bothered by it.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

GreenNight posted:

Talking about the Reese/Carter kiss. I never gave it a second thought but apparently a few people got really bothered by it.

I was trying to figure out if he meant Reese/Carter or Root/Shaw, and in either case, "worst run of episodes" is probably the last thing I've ever seen anyone use to describe either of those effective trilogies.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
Uh....I don't even watch the show, but didn't someone just say that that kiss wasn't scripted but adlibbed, so calling it "incredibly cheap, bad storytelling that came out of nowhere" is kind of ridiculous.

Here it is again:

Zaggitz posted:

He's talking about the s3 kiss which was improv'd, not in the script and should not have made the final edit based on how everyone involved talked about it after it aired.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Rabbit Hill posted:

Uh....I don't even watch the show, but didn't someone just say that that kiss wasn't scripted but adlibbed, so calling it "incredibly cheap, bad storytelling that came out of nowhere" is kind of ridiculous.

Here it is again:

It was one of Caviezel's brain farts, true, but it's on the showrunners that they left it in and didn't cut it because they didn't want to upset their diva actor.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Rabbit Hill posted:

Never let the facts get in the way of a good story.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Rabbit Hill posted:

Here it is again:

And why does "ad libbed" suddenly render those arguments void? Because I think the "came out of nowhere" is exactly what ad libbed means.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

The kiss was dumb but calling the endgame three parter the worst run of the show is perhaps the most braindead thing I've ever loving read in my whole life.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Zaggitz posted:

The kiss was dumb but calling the endgame three parter the worst run of the show is perhaps the most braindead thing I've ever loving read in my whole life.

Which Terrible Joe said that?

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

The sexual assaulty one, not the one nobody should take seriously.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer

Kaizoku posted:

And why does "ad libbed" suddenly render those arguments void? Because I think the "came out of nowhere" is exactly what ad libbed means.

Because it wasn't scripted, so it wasn't planned, so no one is to blame for "bad storytelling" when it apparently wasn't anyone's idea except the guy who felt an urge to kiss his coworker in the middle of a scene.

E:

less laughter posted:

It was one of Caviezel's brain farts, true, but it's on the showrunners that they left it in and didn't cut it because they didn't want to upset their diva actor.

Fair enough

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Zaggitz posted:

The sexual assaulty one, not the one nobody should take seriously.

This doesn't narrow it down.

• Locked thread