Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

blackguy32 posted:

Some tracks are sped up like the Guardhouse and the Lab.

Oh, I guess I didn't notice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Good Lord Fisher! posted:

Oh, I guess I didn't notice.

Compare this: http://youtu.be/bv_5nleGjOY

With this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3UpZ_Wk2tw

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Should I get the Chronicles HD Collection for the PS3 if I don't have any light guns?

Also I'd love to see it on the PC.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Ahhh, thanks. Chronicles was the lightgun series, which I confused for Revelations.

Carry on.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
You can get Revelations 2 Complete Edition (Steam) for $32 here using a GMG coupon, expires on Feb 2.

Coupon: 20PERO-FFDIGI-GAMESX

Lunethex fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Jan 31, 2015

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?

Azran posted:

Should I get the Chronicles HD Collection for the PS3 if I don't have any light guns?

Depends on how much you like playing light gun games with a controller.

That said, the Move is pretty much straight better than the Wiimote in my experience, the only downside is that the navigation controller isn't also a motion controller like the Nunchuck. So it's well worth a purchase if you wanna throw like ~25 bucks at it.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Lunethex posted:

You can get Revelations 2 Complete Edition (Steam) for $32 here using a GMG coupon, expires on Feb 2.

Coupon: 20PERO-FFDIGI-GAMESX

Thank you!

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

That is really bad. The new one has a Dualshock basement quality to it.

But there needs to be a mod to put the original music back in, not the GC music. It still seems wrong to go back to the mansion after fighting your first hunter and not hear these themes. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZT-efcJN8g and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whXatF_1g4Q

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Well. I sure as hell hear it now. Cripes, that's a bit.. unsubtle.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Azran posted:

The Chronicles games I maintain are some of the best lightgun games ever made and I recommend them whole heartedly. Not sure about the PS3 port since I played the Wii version which intrinsically has a light-gun analog.

The game seems like it'd be kinda....hard with a controller.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

blackguy32 posted:

It would probably be ultimately pointless since most people are going to play through once and never pick it up again and its probably a lot of work for content that people will never see.
Steam has pretty much proven that people don't ever play their games.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Is PSN still offering that crossover with REmake? That thing where if you buy it for the PS3 you get a key for the PS4 too? Does it really make a huge difference between the two consoles, performance-wise?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Well. I sure as hell hear it now. Cripes, that's a bit.. unsubtle.

I had my fingers crossed for this to be the only modern port of a classic game that didn't gently caress something crucial up, but nope. :sigh:

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA
Doing a real survival mode run, going for the best ending. In the twenty seconds it took me to push all four stones off the platform, Lisa managed to hit Barry once and he died.

You're loving useless, Barry.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
Itchy. Tasty.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

The Chronicles games I maintain are some of the best lightgun games ever made and I recommend them whole heartedly. Not sure about the PS3 port since I played the Wii version which intrinsically has a light-gun analog.

The game seems like it'd be kinda....hard with a controller.

The PS3 has Move support which I don't think works as well as the wiimote but it's something.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

So gamestop preorders for Revelaitons 2 have a whole bunch of stuff for preordering, but asking around it seems like it's only for the disc version. Does anyone know exactly what crosses over with what as far as psn preorders? I'm likely gonna get the digital preorder cause the disc release is Bloodborne time but I want to know if I'll miss out on anything good.

Catpain Blackudder
Jul 25, 2009

Cluck, cluck, gibber, gibber, my old man's a mushroom, et cetera.
This is what you get in the Digital preorder

* 4 Main Episodes
* 2 Bonus Episodes
* HUNK for Raid mode
* Throwback stage pack

The Disk version has everything above and these extras

* Wesker for Raid mode
* 4 Bonus Costumes

I'm pretty sure those extras will be available to purchase as DLC once the disk is released, This is Capcom after all, so you won't really miss out on anything no matter which version you choose.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Apologies if this has been explained, but how would episodic gameplay work with a disc copy of the game? The various episodes unlock as time passes?

E: my question is just as dense when you consider a digital copy.

E2: thanks for clarifying

DJ Fuckboy Supreme fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Feb 4, 2015

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NotAnArtist posted:

Apologies if this has been explained, but how would episodic gameplay work with a disc copy of the game? The various episodes unlock as time passes?

The disc game will not be released until all the episodes are out. It's digital first.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

This might be a stupid question, but I'm getting through the REmake, and I cant recall EVER getting the mode where Forrest chases you. (and I played the GC version so many times I aced invisible enemy mode). Do I have to do anything special to unlock it?

E: oh good lord Richard just got eaten by a shark. Dude just can't win.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

I think you should load up a clear file and then beat the game with the other character on Normal mode. If that doesn't work, try beating with the first character again. If you're starting from New Game instead of Once Again, you won't get it.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Anybody got any tips for shooting zombies in REmaster? Loaded it up for the first time the other night and the first zombie wrecked me.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Anybody got any tips for shooting zombies in REmaster? Loaded it up for the first time the other night and the first zombie wrecked me.

At the risk of sounding like a spergin Souls player, most of the time if you're playing on Normal difficulty not shooting zombies is your best bet. Zig-zagging around them is pretty standard, and if you're new and backtracking lots, keeping zombies in their initial state will save you ammo in the long run.

Aiming down when a zombie is close will likely hit their legs, causing them to fall down, allowing you to easily avoid them. If you're playing on Easy or Really Easy, 3-5 body shots generally drops a zombie, and occasionally gets you a headshot, which removes the zombie from the room.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Point downwards at their legs with the handgun (may take 3-5 hits to make them fall) or point upwards with a shotgun. But it's best not to shoot them and just run.

With the new controls, it's super easy to run from them. You can even have fun with them running around them in circles. They'll just flail around and won't be able to touch you. Note: Please don't use the new controls. I don't see how it's possible for the game to have much tension at all with them. They're such a terrible fit for this game.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

If you get grabbed, you need to mash the d-pad or analog stick like a madman. While you'll always take one hit just by virtue of being grabbed, you can avoid the 2nd-4th hit by wiggling free. If you just let the zombie go to town, Jill can go from Fine to Danger incredibly quickly.

The handgun is ineffective in general, which is one of the reason that you should try to avoid combat as much as possible. If you do decide to use the handgun, always give yourself enough room.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Super Ninja Fish posted:

Point downwards at their legs with the handgun (may take 3-5 hits to make them fall) or point upwards with a shotgun. But it's best not to shoot them and just run.

With the new controls, it's super easy to run from them. You can even have fun with them running around them in circles. They'll just flail around and won't be able to touch you. Note: Please don't use the new controls. I don't see how it's possible for the game to have much tension at all with them. They're such a terrible fit for this game.

The new controls don't really give you THAT much of an advantage. You are still capable of being bitten. Please don't act like a lovely Gamefaqs poster that freaks out that people are playing the game the "wrong" way. In fact, much of the tension comes from the unknown and zombies cease being a problem about 30-45 minutes into the game anyhow.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

blackguy32 posted:

The new controls don't really give you THAT much of an advantage. You are still capable of being bitten. Please don't act like a lovely Gamefaqs poster that freaks out that people are playing the game the "wrong" way. In fact, much of the tension comes from the unknown and zombies cease being a problem about 30-45 minutes into the game anyhow.

I'll mostly agree with this. I played through it with the new control scheme and it didn't seem that much easier than with tank controls--if anything it felt more like a quality of life improvement. Dogs, Crimson Heads and Hunters were still difficult to maneuver around.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

There are also a few parts – most notably the closing-walls puzzle – where the new controls really gently caress you over.

I watch a fair bit of people speedrun REmaster on Twitch, and from what I remember most of them stick to the old controls – although they might jump to the new controls a few times for quick turns. They're definitely nice for new players, but I wouldn't say they break the game or anything. You also lose the ability to back up, which is pretty important for luring zombies into making lunges.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

Catpain Blackudder posted:

This is what you get in the Digital preorder

* 4 Main Episodes
* 2 Bonus Episodes
* HUNK for Raid mode
* Throwback stage pack

The Disk version has everything above and these extras

* Wesker for Raid mode
* 4 Bonus Costumes

I'm pretty sure those extras will be available to purchase as DLC once the disk is released, This is Capcom after all, so you won't really miss out on anything no matter which version you choose.

Thanks for this! Digital it is, it looks like wesker and the 4 costumes are probably gonna be 5 bux a pop when the disc version releases.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

Smirking_Serpent posted:

There are also a few parts – most notably the closing-walls puzzle – where the new controls really gently caress you over.

I switched back to tank controls for that very puzzle. The constant camera angle changes had me grinding my teeth in frustration.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Cheers for the tips, all. I was trying to aim up for headshots, so I was whiffing a lot.

I always hear about avoiding the zombies, but then they'll still be there when I come back, moaning and shuffling... :ohdear:

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

Cheers for the tips, all. I was trying to aim up for headshots, so I was whiffing a lot.

I always hear about avoiding the zombies, but then they'll still be there when I come back, moaning and shuffling... :ohdear:

If you kill them something much worse will be waiting for you.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Smirking_Serpent posted:

I watch a fair bit of people speedrun REmaster on Twitch, and from what I remember most of them stick to the old controls – although they might jump to the new controls a few times for quick turns. They're definitely nice for new players, but I wouldn't say they break the game or anything. You also lose the ability to back up, which is pretty important for luring zombies into making lunges.

It is mostly to do with the fact a certain speedrunning trick known as "stair skating" just doesn't work with the new controls at all.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
I think it's totally worth killing and burning zombies in areas where it seems like you'll be coming back through a lot. If you're in a main corridor, it's probably worth it. If you're in a side corridor or a lone room, probably not.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Yeah, zombie-killing is mostly to taste. My usual take is to check the map (pretending I haven't beaten the game a million times here) and see what connects to the room/hall. If it looks like a thoroughfare, light 'em up.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Spalec posted:

If you kill them something much worse will be waiting for you.

I was trying to aim up for headshots

;)

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

Yeah, zombie-killing is mostly to taste. My usual take is to check the map (pretending I haven't beaten the game a million times here) and see what connects to the room/hall. If it looks like a thoroughfare, light 'em up.

Smoke 'em if you got 'em

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Aiming up is really only useful in two cases – the first is when you're aiming at something way above your ahead, birds and the like (although you should never shoot birds). This is really rare – it might come into play in one boss fight, but that's it.

The second case is when you have a shotgun. If a zombie gets very close to you and you're aiming upwards, you have a significant chance to decapitate him. It's an old trick that's stuck around since the PSX days.

Other than that, you should really only be aiming straight ahead. It might look inaccurate when you're shooting something like a dog, but 90% of the time it's where to point your gun if you want to hit something. Occasionally you can aim downwards to hit a dog or a snake that's nipping at your feet, but that's also a rarity.

Headshots with the handgun are completely random – aiming doesn't affect it at all. One of the things you'll learn very quickly is that the handgun is not a great weapon – it usually takes 7 or 8 hits to actually kill a zombie, and that's assuming you have enough space. For tight quarters, you're completely screwed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Yeah I just ran through that tonight, it was very annoying with the new controls at first until you learned to switch directions as soon as the angles changed. Only time I've had any real frustration with the new mode.

One of the things I'm really enjoying this time around are all the descriptions you can get by examining different features in the environment. From the paintings so vivid they seem real, spider corpses in cardboard boxes, how the lamp in the safe room makes you feel relaxed, etc., they go a long way in drawing you into the game world.