Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Jsor posted:

Sending a C programmer off to write Java is probably going to result in a bunch of weird static functions and such all over the place.

Surely most developers are self-aware enough to realize "hey, I'm used to this language and other languages might have better paradigms, so I'm just not going to force this new language into my old way of thinking"? Right? Right?!?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Tezzeract posted:

NYT is definitely up there for places I'd love to work at. Really dig all the data journalism they do.

Yeah it'd be pretty sweet but too bad the company is only holding together by the will of a billionaire literally named Slim.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Thermopyle posted:

Surely most developers are self-aware enough to realize "hey, I'm used to this language and other languages might have better paradigms, so I'm just not going to force this new language into my old way of thinking"? Right? Right?!?!

Sometimes. There's also "Jesus, I have 6 other things on my plate and can't spend an hour figuring out how to do <X> properly in this language, so I'll just do it the way I know how to do it from <some other language>"

And then another SQL injection vulnerability enters the world.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

Thermopyle posted:

Also, acquiring good habits for a particular language is also a factor of exposure over time to good source written in said language. There is only so much you can get out of Google and StackOverflow....

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Malcolm XML posted:

Yeah it'd be pretty sweet but too bad the company is only holding together by the will of a billionaire literally named Slim.

The salaries listed on their site also sound low for the NYC area, but I'm just basing that on what cost-of-living calculators spit out.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
There's also the difference between learning a language and learning the platform/framework that you're writing for. You can be the world's best Java dev, doesn't mean you know poo poo about Android, something that I learned last year! It took me about six months to get a good grasp on things and after a year I'm still learn new stuff most days but almost none of it is "how to write X in Java", it's all stuff specific to Android being a huge mess :D .

Anther example is that I have five years of desktop C# on my CV and I constantly get sent job specs for .NET web dev positions. I hate web dev, never done it and never want to, but because I match the C# / .NET keywords this will keep happening.

So basically "language" is only one piece of the puzzle.

Neat Machine
May 5, 2008

heh
I've spent two weeks looking and got my first offer to work as an entry level Java developer with Nationwide Insurance being paid 60k through a consultant. I'm kind of antsy and afraid to not act on it, but am I likely to get anything better with a CS degree and no experience?

Worth noting that it is in Ohio. Columbus doesn't look too bad though.

Safe and Secure!
Jun 14, 2008

OFFICIAL SA THREAD RUINER
SPRING 2013
I don't know what the market in that area is like, but if it's not really known for having a thriving tech industry and the cost of living doesn't make $60k/yr uncomfortable, then as long as you aren't paying self-employment taxes on it, it sounds like a decent amount for an average fresh grad who has no experience.

Somewhere like the Bay Area or NYC, that would be a bad offer.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Fancy Corndog posted:

I've spent two weeks looking and got my first offer to work as an entry level Java developer with Nationwide Insurance being paid 60k through a consultant. I'm kind of antsy and afraid to not act on it, but am I likely to get anything better with a CS degree and no experience?

http://www.glassdoor.com/Salary/Nationwide-Salaries-E2913.htm

Not Dave
Aug 9, 2009

ATAI SUPER DRY IS
BREWED FROM QUALITY
ENGREDIENTS BY USING
OUR PURE CULTURE
YEAST AND ADVANCED
BREWING TECHNIQUES.
Please rip my resume up like the garbage it is.

vv downside is that nothing I worked on is a shipped product. The database I QA'd was scrapped and with the way the company is everything else probably has already been too

Not Dave fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Feb 1, 2015

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Not Dave posted:

Your resume lacks specifics. I have no idea what most of the things on it are referring to, nor how it would help me.

quote:

Designed and implemented module to prototype data mining service

What module, for what. What data mining service. What was the purpose.

quote:

Created web applications to test an internally developed relational database

Test what exactly, and how. Was it performance testing? QA Smoke Test automation stuff? What did you use to make it? Java? Python? Node? Did your work improve the database in any way?

quote:

Designed a simplified language for internal documentation

Why? What was it before? How did what you do help?

quote:

Developed parser for the language that automatically generated unit tests

I don't understand this. You developed a parser that automatically generated unit tests? Or did you parse generated unit tests? :psyduck:

quote:

Designed automated portions for the services user interface

I'm lost. What? What services user interface. What automated portions. Designed? As in not coded?

You need to explain a lot more what you did as an intern, and how it benefited the company. Nor did I get a sense of what kind of position you're aiming for. Are you a web developer? Did you use Java/Python backends? You need to better explain your accomplishments and sell me on why they matter. You don't need to write a massive description of your position, but any bit that helps me understand what kinds of things you were doing would help.

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Rogue operating systems on occasion spread lies and rumors about me.

Not Dave posted:

vv downside is that nothing I worked on is a shipped product. The database I QA'd was scrapped and with the way the company is everything else probably has already been too

The biggest problem is your dates don't make any sense. It looks like you were an undergraduate researcher after graduation. It also looks like you either did a four year masters or there's a pretty big gap.

If you're still in school I like to see education above employment, but I'll admit that's an issue of considerable debate.

More specific issues:

• JSON and RESTful aren't skills.
  • Generally lacking specifics -- not nearly enough numbers
  • Focus more on results than on process -- for example what did you discover in your research?
  • Generic course titles don't mean anything -- did you do a project in the classes? What?

rsjr
Nov 2, 2002

yay for protoss being so simple that retards can win with it

Not Dave posted:

Ugly, unreadable font.

Not a single mention of languages, libraries, technologies used. You're making it very hard for people to get any gauge as to what you're good at quickly.

quote:

Designed and implemented module to prototype data mining service

What does that even mean? Did you write a prototype data mining service? Did you write a module to interact with some third-party data mining service? Why are you so vague? What language did you use? What data mining service?

This applies to all your bullet points. Also, you worked at Target for 8 years?! The same associates position? Dude, just remove it.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

Fancy Corndog posted:

Columbus duder here. You'll find that most anywhere you apply in town the 60k range is about what you'd expect for a new grad, and it's a very affordable city for it.

2 things: I've heard Nationwide has kind of a stuffy culture with less than great work/life balance. I don't know how that would be for you as an outside consultant, though, so your mileage can easily vary. The second is that, if you haven't already, negotiate your offer. It would be the easiest $X dollars you could make, and it usually doesn't take more than asking for it.

Not Dave
Aug 9, 2009

ATAI SUPER DRY IS
BREWED FROM QUALITY
ENGREDIENTS BY USING
OUR PURE CULTURE
YEAST AND ADVANCED
BREWING TECHNIQUES.
Updated, but clearly not final

Drastic Actions posted:

[Other Criticisms]

I'm lost. What? What services user interface. What automated portions. Designed? As in not coded?

You need to explain a lot more what you did as an intern, and how it benefited the company. Nor did I get a sense of what kind of position you're aiming for. Are you a web developer? Did you use Java/Python backends? You need to better explain your accomplishments and sell me on why they matter. You don't need to write a massive description of your position, but any bit that helps me understand what kinds of things you were doing would help.
I attempted to clarify and expand on everything. The last one was literally just designing because I was only conscripted through the end of the year and we never got around to coding more than just a prototype.

KernelSlanders posted:

The biggest problem is your dates don't make any sense. It looks like you were an undergraduate researcher after graduation. It also looks like you either did a four year masters or there's a pretty big gap.

If you're still in school I like to see education above employment, but I'll admit that's an issue of considerable debate.

More specific issues:

• JSON and RESTful aren't skills.
  • Generally lacking specifics -- not nearly enough numbers
  • Focus more on results than on process -- for example what did you discover in your research?
  • Generic course titles don't mean anything -- did you do a project in the classes? What?
I continued to present the research after I graduated, but I went ahead and just put the cut off as when I graduated because what does it matter. The masters was a 2 year deal, but I had to take 2 years of undergraduate classes to get in, so make of that what you will. Employment just seemed more natural to go above education, but I can flip flop that if any one else wants to corroborate with you. I bolded that one line so I can remember it when working on the next version. Last specific thing is the course titles, which was in one of the resumes in the OP and I thought it was a good idea, but its gone now.

rsjr posted:

Ugly, unreadable font.

Not a single mention of languages, libraries, technologies used. You're making it very hard for people to get any gauge as to what you're good at quickly.

What does that even mean? Did you write a prototype data mining service? Did you write a module to interact with some third-party data mining service? Why are you so vague? What language did you use? What data mining service?

This applies to all your bullet points. Also, you worked at Target for 8 years?! The same associates position? Dude, just remove it.
Changed the font, again just going with the OP and trying to not use Times or Arial. I added languages and things, but now I realize I can add up some more and that'll probably end up in the next version. The Target position I left in because there was a discussion earlier about unrelated experience and I felt more strongly about an argument about having it for sake of showing I was working during college and can hold down a job, but again if other people can make a compelling argument about it being worse, it can go.

My biggest issue so far I guess is trying to figure out how to be specific about poo poo without it looking like a big bloated line. I'm guessing from all the comments its better to err on the side of too much than too little. Also re-echoing that I don't have a final result to point to on the poo poo I tested or the data mining thing I worked on because the database was scrapped and the data mining hasn't shipped, if it ever will. I also can't even show my code from my parser because NDA.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
I hate the formatting on this.

Needs more whitespace between lines, maybe try 1.25x or 1.5x line spacing within paragraphs, and a bit more than that to separate sections from each other. You also have some other line spacing oddities, like having more space between your sections of education than you do between the education title and its first section.

Indentation is more severe than it needs to be, I'd probably halve it.

The headline font (name, skills, experience, education) sucks.

If you're going to indent the bullet points for experience, do it for skills too, looks awkward right now.

Random spaces between your University name and the comma after it.

You put in a ton of space between work experience name and their date, but don't for the university name and their date.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Google interview today - 5 sessions and I truly, truly bombed the first question, like zero progress in 45 minutes. I still don't really understand the formulation of the question, and I can't find it online anywhere. gently caress.

I still can't understand what the solution is supposed to be. The formulation of the question still seems absolutely hosed. Next year, I guess.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Feb 3, 2015

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

No Wave posted:

Google interview today - 5 sessions and I truly, truly bombed the first question, like zero progress in 45 minutes. I still don't really understand the formulation of the question, and I can't find it online anywhere. gently caress.

I still can't understand what the solution is supposed to be. The formulation of the question still seems absolutely hosed. Next year, I guess.

Usually you can ask for clarification and further detail, but I know one of the interviewers in NYC is a complete dick and doesn't help.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
If I was sitting in a room in silence with a candidate for 45 minutes, I'm struggling to come up with the internal justification for how it wasn't a waste of both of our times.

Yeah, I'd love it if someone could name "Gray code" with just the problem description. But when they can't I don't just tease them about it, I give them that solution and start asking about the class of errors that it eliminates. Totally fine to have not seen it, but once I give someone the solution and we're talking about what it does, that's a much more useful conversation than deducing gray code from a binary search of all encodings.

return0
Apr 11, 2007

JawnV6 posted:

If I was sitting in a room in silence with a candidate for 45 minutes, I'm struggling to come up with the internal justification for how it wasn't a waste of both of our times.

Yeah, I'd love it if someone could name "Gray code" with just the problem description. But when they can't I don't just tease them about it, I give them that solution and start asking about the class of errors that it eliminates. Totally fine to have not seen it, but once I give someone the solution and we're talking about what it does, that's a much more useful conversation than deducing gray code from a binary search of all encodings.

were you asking about the obvious thing it solves (ambiguity in binary switch) or weird stuff like addressing hypercubes

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

MrMoo posted:

Usually you can ask for clarification and further detail, but I know one of the interviewers in NYC is a complete dick and doesn't help.
Guy wasn't a dick. I just couldn't get my head around the question. It was an ugly-rear end question with so many side cases that every approach I thought of looked like poo poo immediately, and not being able to find a solution online really ticks me off because I'm not really convinced that the question as formulated had the sort of solution that could be solved with an algorithm in an interview. I've felt this way a million times , and I've always been wrong, but fck not being able to find this poo poo.

I also really can't share the problem given that it's not on the internet, but wtf. I'm going to at least try to get the solution sent to me, I guess.

return0
Apr 11, 2007

No Wave posted:

Guy wasn't a dick. I just couldn't get my head around the question. It was an ugly-rear end question with so many side cases that every approach I thought of looked like poo poo immediately, and not being able to find a solution online really ticks me off because I'm not really convinced that the question as formulated had the sort of solution that could be solved with an algorithm in an interview. I've felt this way a million times , and I've always been wrong, but fck not being able to find this poo poo.

I also really can't share the problem given that it's not on the internet, but wtf. I'm going to at least try to get the solution sent to me, I guess.

Can you share a reformulation or equivalent problem? My curiosity is piqued.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

return0 posted:

Can you share a reformulation or equivalent problem? My curiosity is piqued.
If I could, I would have solved it, or at least been able to google a solution... sorry, I'll stay out of the thread with this, it's not helpful.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

If you interview with one of the big 4 and they start calling your references, I assume that means they generally want you? This is after the on-site interview.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
The idea with chasing references is to find someone who says "no." They want to know who thought the absolute least of you, hear that story, and decide if they still want you. That person probably isn't on your provided list. And this is probably better suited for the oldie thread.

enthe0s
Oct 24, 2010

In another few hours, the sun will rise!
So I was just given an offer earlier today, and they want a response by the end of the week. I think I messed up when I said that I would like an extension because I'm currently wrapping an interview somewhere else tomorrow. Was that good or bad thing to say? I was caught off guard because I wasn't expecting an offer the day after I interviewed.

Anyways, I have a final round tomorrow with another company, and I'm fairly sure they're going to give me an offer as well. Should I bring up the fact that I have an offer already when I'm there if they give me an offer? Should I give the recruiter a heads up today about having an offer? I'm trying not to gently caress this up a second time.

Jock Seppuku
Apr 16, 2008
I had an interview yesterday, got offered the position, and accepted. :toot:

One question they asked me was "how often do you shut down your laptop?". I guess this is a culture test, and the answer they were looking for was "never, unless necessary". Has anyone else been asked this question?

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

trillocity posted:

I had an interview yesterday, got offered the position, and accepted. :toot:

One question they asked me was "how often do you shut down your laptop?". I guess this is a culture test, and the answer they were looking for was "never, unless necessary". Has anyone else been asked this question?

No, that's a stupid question unless it was purely out of curiosity.

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
That's a worse shibboleth than the DHH "do you use a mac" question

bartkusa
Sep 25, 2005

Air, Fire, Earth, Hope

enthe0s posted:

So I was just given an offer earlier today, and they want a response by the end of the week. I think I messed up when I said that I would like an extension because I'm currently wrapping an interview somewhere else tomorrow. Was that good or bad thing to say? I was caught off guard because I wasn't expecting an offer the day after I interviewed.

Anyways, I have a final round tomorrow with another company, and I'm fairly sure they're going to give me an offer as well. Should I bring up the fact that I have an offer already when I'm there if they give me an offer? Should I give the recruiter a heads up today about having an offer? I'm trying not to gently caress this up a second time.

You did nothing wrong by telling the first company you wanted an extension. You should definitely tell the second company's recruiter that you already have an offer.

Basically, you want to maximize the number of companies bidding for you. Competition is good.

enthe0s
Oct 24, 2010

In another few hours, the sun will rise!

bartkusa posted:

You did nothing wrong by telling the first company you wanted an extension. You should definitely tell the second company's recruiter that you already have an offer.

Basically, you want to maximize the number of companies bidding for you. Competition is good.

I think I was unclear. I definitely didn't feel bad about asking for an extension, but I think maybe I should have phrased my reason better than "because I want to interview with another company tomorrow". Was in I wrong in that regard and should have maybe just kept it to "I need some more time to think about it"?

The other recruiter got back to me and wants to know how my current offer stacks up against the company I'll be interviewing with tomorrow. I think it's ok to let him know about salary and benefits right? Obviously not going to name the 1st company though.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

enthe0s posted:

I think I was unclear. I definitely didn't feel bad about asking for an extension, but I think maybe I should have phrased my reason better than "because I want to interview with another company tomorrow". Was in I wrong in that regard and should have maybe just kept it to "I need some more time to think about it"?

The other recruiter got back to me and wants to know how my current offer stacks up against the company I'll be interviewing with tomorrow. I think it's ok to let him know about salary and benefits right? Obviously not going to name the 1st company though.

Only reveal your other offer to someone if it's better than their offer.

Hiowf
Jun 28, 2013

We don't do .DOC in my cave.

Munkeymon posted:

Only reveal your other offer to someone if it's better than their offer.

Nah, you can totally tell the ones that gave you the best offer that the other side bid higher. There's zero downsides to this.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Skuto posted:

Nah, you can totally tell the ones that gave you the best offer that the other side bid higher. There's zero downsides to this.

Or if you feel bad about lying for some reason just heavily imply that this is the case.

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014

pr0zac posted:

Or if you feel bad about lying for some reason just heavily imply that this is the case.

Disinformation in salary negotiations while you haggle for the right to make them a lot more money than they pay you? :monocle:

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Skuto posted:

Depending on how much I really wanted the job I'd be afraid they'd demand proof of some sort but I guess then

pr0zac posted:

applies

Hiowf
Jun 28, 2013

We don't do .DOC in my cave.
Yeah, you don't have to outright lie, just grow some balls. Even if they call your bluff you can't really lose because you can just take the original offer with a random excuse about impression about the working environment or whatever.

No place you want to work at is going to explode their offer because you mention in passing that you got an offer that looks better and it's making you hesitate.

Anyway, that all wasn't the point. The point is that if you get a good and a not-so-good offer, its usually at least as effective to try to improve the good offer rather than to make the not-so-good one not suck. This applies wider than salary negotiations.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

bartkusa posted:

I'm in a similar position right now. I have two companies drawing up offer letters for me at the moment (I know, I know, don't celebrate until I have them in my hands). When do I let each other know that another company is currently interested in me? Do I wait until I get their offer letters, or should I let them know while they're drawing them up? Or should I simply not tell them that I've got other companies interested in me as well (though I already did)?

Really, really hoping these offers come out well. Still trying to decide which one to go with, one's a better culture fit but the other is a little more "obvious" in what I'd be working on...and is also closer for now.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug
Wait til you get the offer in hand and then use the competing offer as an excuse to ask for more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Elvis
Oct 21, 2013

Are there any tips for finding a junior level position? My experience is that, at least in Austin, they kinda don't exist. I interviewed at a startup the other day and they said i was a perfectly fine candidate, they just sort of realized over discussion that they didn't have a place for a junior employee. They wouldn't know what tasks to assign me. Is that bullshit?

I just want to start somewhere as a junior developer and bust rear end until the junior part goes away. :smithicide: