Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Why do networks screen half an hour of post-game stuff after the super bowl, which surely loses them a lot of non- football fan viewers before the show they put on afterwards? You'd think they would want to maximize the viewers from the biggest lead-in you could ever get, by putting the lead-out show on as soon as possible. Is it required as part of screening the super bowl?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Wandle Cax posted:

Why do networks screen half an hour of post-game stuff after the super bowl, which surely loses them a lot of non- football fan viewers before the show they put on afterwards? You'd think they would want to maximize the viewers from the biggest lead-in you could ever get, by putting the lead-out show on as soon as possible. Is it required as part of screening the super bowl?

Because they're still getting that sweet, sweet Superbowl ad revenue.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
Even if they start losing viewers, there are still a crapload of people watching. They want to extend that viewership for as long as possible. The postgame show scored a 26.3 in the demo (the game itself was 39.1), while The Blacklist "only" did an 8.4.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
I see, so they would rather have half an hour of more viewers for the ad revenue, than get more people to watch the Blacklist.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Has a post Super Bowl slot ever had a significant impact on an existing show's regular ratings? I can't think of any in recent memory.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Wandle Cax posted:

I see, so they would rather have half an hour of more viewers for the ad revenue, than get more people to watch the Blacklist.

How many more people do you think would stick around to watch the entire slotted tv show if there wasn't a half hour of post-game wrap-up beforehand?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

J-Spot posted:

Has a post Super Bowl slot ever had a significant impact on an existing show's regular ratings? I can't think of any in recent memory.

I think Alias had its highest-rated episode ever when it was on after the Super Bowl. Not sure, though.

Edit: Oh, I'm sorry, I misunderstood your question.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Feb 4, 2015

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

xeria posted:

How many more people do you think would stick around to watch the entire slotted tv show if there wasn't a half hour of post-game wrap-up beforehand?

I think a lot more people would have watched the show if it had a lead-in of 114 million compared to 72 million. I feel like that makes sense. Maybe 40% more if you were looking for a number.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Wandle Cax posted:

I think a lot more people would have watched the show if it had a lead-in of 114 million compared to 72 million. I feel like that makes sense. Maybe 40% more if you were looking for a number.

You're thinking, though, of people who'd have their TV on when the episode starts versus people who actually stick through the entire episode. (Using demo numbers instead of total numbers from here on out.) When Glee had its big post-SB episode, I want to say they had 16.1 at the start of the episode drop to 12.9 within the first 15 minutes, and down under 10.0 for the last 15-30 minutes. The 30-ish % drop in demo numbers between the SB average and the post-game average don't necessarily mean that 30% more people might be tuned in to The Blacklist if they don't have a half hour of post-game wrap-up. It might skew the average demo for the hour a little higher, but it probably wouldn't be anything particularly remarkable.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

J-Spot posted:

Didn't Brooklyn Nine-Nine enjoy a good boost after its Super Bowl win? Or was that more attributable to its Golden Globe win?

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
Yeah it's kind of hard to prove that the post-SB time slot has any significant effect like that. And as those ratings indicate, the majority of viewers stuck around for the post game show, which wouldn't happen if they jumped straight to The Blacklist. It also helped that this year's Superbowl was a good game with a crazy ending, granted.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Mo0 posted:

Didn't Brooklyn Nine-Nine enjoy a good boost after its Super Bowl win? Or was that more attributable to its Golden Globe win?

I've never met anyone in the world who knows who won a golden globe a week after it happens.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Mo0 posted:

I don't think B99's ratings last season changed appreciably after the SB slot or it's GG win. Its boost this season is probably 95% timeslot.

B99 went from a 1.9 pre-SB to a 6.9 in the post-SB slot to a 1.4 and 1.2 for it's subsequent new episodes. The caveat is that those new episodes aired during the Winter Olympics as well.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

less laughter posted:

It was one of Caviezel's brain farts, true, but it's on the showrunners that they left it in and didn't cut it because they didn't want to upset their diva actor.

Is Caviezel really that bad tempered? He seems extremely laid back and relaxed in the blooper reels, especially given they probably make a "Jesus" joke every time they get bad weather.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

pentyne posted:

Is Caviezel really that bad tempered? He seems extremely laid back and relaxed in the blooper reels, especially given they probably make a "Jesus" joke every time they get bad weather.

Everything I've heard about him through random accounts is that he's very soft-spoken and shy, at least when meeting fans.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Sleepy Hollow was back to form and I think that basically can be attributed to 3 things:

1) More Orlando Jones

2) The return of John Noble

3) Actually doing something with Katrina's character (even if it's just Star Wars)

4) Actually paying off the whole overblown CAN WE TRUST THE CAPTAIN NOW? subplot

Orlando Jones has such a presence that you don't realize what you were missing until you miss it.

If they had consolidated all those post-mid-season-finale episodes into a single episode it wouldn't have been so bad.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Edit: NM mission accomplished

Shimrra Jamaane fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Feb 4, 2015

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Man, I love The Mindy Project. It really got good after a terrible season 1 and the first half of season 2. Freaking out over an earthquake is such a East coast thing. After I moved to CA the first mild earthquake I panicked and dove at my flatscreen TV to keep it from falling over.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

pentyne posted:

xeria posted:

Everything I've heard about him through random accounts is that he's very soft-spoken and shy, at least when meeting fans.

Shhhh guys, you're ruining the made-up narrative!

JesseHechtCREATIVE
Feb 20, 2013

​ Creative New Content Weekly

Cuisine
Reviews
Entertainment
Animation
Toys
Images
Videogames
Everything!
Stupid derailing question but here goes:

I remember watching a clip from something where a guy goes into a (record store?) and kills the clerk and cleans out the register. When he leaves, he talks to a boy under one of the displays but doesn't kill him. I remember the store's walls were red, yellow, and (black?). Thanks to those who help...

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Zorglorfian posted:

Stupid derailing question but here goes:

I remember watching a clip from something where a guy goes into a (record store?) and kills the clerk and cleans out the register. When he leaves, he talks to a boy under one of the displays but doesn't kill him. I remember the store's walls were red, yellow, and (black?). Thanks to those who help...
Sounds similar to the opening scene of Utopia…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01VGtX9xfh0

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Yeah, sounds like the beginning of the first episode of Utopia to me, which coincidentally is as much as I want to see of Utopia.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

raditts posted:

Yeah, sounds like the beginning of the first episode of Utopia to me, which coincidentally is as much as I want to see of Utopia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhPTUog6DWc

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

God Utopia was so good. RIP

Hope they get a movie or a special or something to wrap it up but I doubt it :smith:

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

I continue to hope that the HBO remake of UK Utopia will drum up hype for the original series to be allowed to end on its own terms.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I don't often refuse to watch a remake, but i'm putting my foot down on this one.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

I think the remake is in good hands direction/writing wise, just hope it still has a fantastic soundtrack.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Rocksicles posted:

I don't often refuse to watch a remake, but i'm putting my foot down on this one.

Did you watch season two though? If you did you've already watched a remake of season one so you might as well see Fincher tackle it.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

It seems really strange to me that C4 cancelled Utopia at the same time as all the announcements were being made that essentially guaranteed it being the next big HBO thing.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Junkenstein posted:

It seems really strange to me that C4 cancelled Utopia at the same time as all the announcements were being made that essentially guaranteed it being the next big HBO thing.

Series two tanked in ratings and critical reception and C4 is run via ad revenue. They don't really gain anything by looking three years into the future, when the original series might have reached a natural conclusion any way and hoping the Fincher version is both made and a success.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Rocksicles posted:

Yeah HBO show directed entirely by David Fincher? Sounds like a real piece of poo poo imo.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

zoux posted:

Yeah HBO show directed entirely by David Fincher? Sounds like a real piece of poo poo imo.

Yeah. Let's find out what Alan Ball wants to make.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

PriorMarcus posted:

Did you watch season two though? If you did you've already watched a remake of season one so you might as well see Fincher tackle it.

Are you a barking mad?

I didn't say it would suck, i said i'm making a stand.
But it has an Englishness, that i seriously doubt any American writer can muster.

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Feb 4, 2015

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Rocksicles posted:

Are you a barking mad?

But it has an Englishness, that i seriously doubt any American writer can muster.

There are over 300 million Americans. I'm sure there are a couple who can capture Englishness seeing how it's pretty easy to be steeped in that culture. It'll be better than the British one which is probably why you're acting like a baby about it.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Junkenstein posted:

It had absurdly low ratings, like 700k an episode. It was one of the least surprising cancellations ever.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Rocksicles posted:

Are you a barking mad?

Yes. The Englishness of a massive government conspiracy and an engineered superflu discovered by a handful of comic book geeks who are pursued by a lone assassin.

Or, did you mean the Englishness of a school shooting?

It's got about as much Englishness in it as any other show that seems like it wanted to be an American show.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
A jingoistic retard rumble over the nationality of TV programmes. Marvellous.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

A jingoistic retard rumble over the nationality of TV programmes. Marvellous.
Programs.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Natiounality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Television sans frontieres*.

* Excludes anime producing countries