Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

Improbable Lobster posted:

i feel like there's a certain amount of learned behavior when it comes to that kind of distanced/banal evil tbh

the average person wouldn't jump straight to hitmen to solve their problems but someone who gets in deep with ethically and/or legally dubious business is probably more willing to do something flagrantly immoral like that

This is true, and probably is totally the case with Ross. By the end of his tenure as DPR I would definitely call him a bad person. But I think it's an iterative thing, the deeper a person gets, the easier it becomes.

It takes only one mistake to get on the road of illegal behaviour. It's like young kids who join biker gangs after trying meth. Once they get started, I bet a lot of them feel like they don't really have the option to stop. One bad decision leads them to keep making more, which makes it even less likely they can find a way out.

although, I guess I am omitting the choice Ross could've made to just step away from it all. Just say gently caress it and bail since he wasn't tied to it by name or anything.
But from his perspective though that would be giving up on a literal million dollar empire. A lot of people have killed for less than that.

He didn't jump straight to hitmen either, as I recall the first guy extorted him a bunch before he finally decided to try something to deal with it. Once he did it once, must get easier in his head.

He was too greedy to walk away and too naive and dumb to never get involved in the first place. I'd really like to believe that I wouldn't be willing to take that step if things somehow contrived to have me in a similar situation, but there have been enough examples of people getting power and doing things no one would've thought them capable of for me to say with certainty. Humans aren't nearly as internally consistent or rational as we pretend we are.

It's exactly why there needs to be checks and limits on any position of power. The temptation to abuse it, like Ross did, is going to be too much for a lot of people, so the best bet is to never let the opportunity present itself.

Ron Paul Atreides fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Feb 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
breaking bad was based on a true story that hadn't happened yet

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
also Susie has one of those patreon thingies and I guess for $50 I can get a sketch of tater done?!?

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

This is true, and probably is totally the case with Ross. By the end of his tenure as DPR I would definitely call him a bad person. But I think it's an iterative thing, the deeper a person gets, the easier it becomes.
I don't... are you defending DPR? Are you saying because he wasn't born a Bad Person that we should have some empathy for him? Of course we should have empathy for him as a human being, just like we should have it for any person. But people are defined by the choices they make, and Ulbricht chose to facilitate buying and selling ricin, and take a cut of the action, and then pay to try and have people killed. This is not even a difficult case. He didn't steal bread to feed his family. He literally ran a billion dollar drug empire and was willing to resort to murder to keep it going.

Linguica fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Feb 5, 2015

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
please don't defend druglords, makes me have nausea

Ayn Randi
Mar 12, 2009

Grimey Drawer
He can be and is a bad person who did terrible things and still not deserve to be in the United States prison system for ever because literally no human being deserves that. That's an argument for a sane humane and rehabilitative justice system though not for suspension of judgement. I get that people can end at seriously bad decisions through small steps compounding a bad situation, the lack of redress in black markets outside of violence etc etc etc but dispassionately soliciting murders for hire including innocent bystanders I'm quite happy to call deviant and sociopathic behaviour

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
the american prison system is really bad but relative to other people who go to prison he deserves it more than most

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Ayn Randi posted:

He can be and is a bad person who did terrible things and still not deserve to be in the United States prison system for ever because literally no human being deserves that. That's an argument for a sane humane and rehabilitative justice system though not for suspension of judgement. I get that people can end at seriously bad decisions through small steps compounding a bad situation, the lack of redress in black markets outside of violence etc etc etc but dispassionately soliciting murders for hire including innocent bystanders I'm quite happy to call deviant and sociopathic behaviour

there really isn't anything such as sociopathy rehab fwiw

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Trig Discipline posted:

i've yosposted on a plane
i've yosposted on a train
i've yosposted from the car
i've yosposted in a bar
i've yosposted in a boat
i've yosposted while eating goat
i've yosposted here and there
i've yosposted everywhere!

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

ruby idiot railed posted:

there really isn't anything such as sociopathy rehab fwiw

US prisons could be less lovely and less cruel, though

Jesus, that may be the least controversial opinion I have ever typed on the Internet. More people would probably disagree with "kittens are cute"

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

Linguica posted:

I don't... are you defending DPR? Are you saying because he wasn't born a Bad Person that we should have some empathy for him? Of course we should have empathy for him as a human being, just like we should have it for any person.

That's all I'm saying really. I am not taking delight in the thought of him going to max security prison. The schadenfreude I have at him getting caught is mitigated by the punishment he is in for being really hosed up.

Linguica posted:

But people are defined by the choices they make, and Ulbricht chose to facilitate buying and selling ricin, and take a cut of the action, and then pay to try and have people killed. This is not even a difficult case. He literally ran a billion dollar drug empire and was willing to resort to murder to keep it going.

Yup I agree with this too. What I'm saying is I don't think him being a drug lord means he couldn't also be a good friend, neighbour, or even son (the whole mom sold her house thing notwithstanding :ohdear:). Like it wasn't an act or facade, he could be both, and it doesn't take a totally hosed up person to do bad things like this. I think a lot of people would be capable of terrible poo poo with the right incentives, and once his dumb little internet blackmarket idea ended up being worth literally millions, it doesn't surprise me at all that a guy who otherwise is perfectly regular is willing to cross those lines.

I don't think DPR started with the idea his market would get this huge, not really. Maybe as a pipe dream. I think once it started really jumping, the lure of the easy money it promised sucked him, and he just started losing touch with the consequences of what he was doing. The promise of millions can make people do really hosed up things. I would say even say it takes an exceptional kind of person to not give into that kind of lure, the best choice for most people simply never putting themselves in that kind of situation. His biggest mistake was getting started on all this, because he clearly didn't have the moral fortitude to resist the temptation of the money he was making once it started taking off.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
he thought it would be big enough that keeping a diary to one day be used to publish a book was a good idea

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Ayn Randi posted:

I guess my problem with labeling it sociopathic is that it seems to denote pre-existing mental abberation rather than a learned and developed conditions brought on by the experience and situation he put himself in. If you want me to concede that he is a sociopath now, then yeah I am good with that description, but I don't think he started out his drug kingpin career with that kind of edge, and had he been hit with a roadblock like a blackmailer before his project was worth millions, I think there would've been a much better chance he would've just walked away.

Money/power, especially holding on to it once you have it, make people into sociopaths, is my perspective on it.

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

I don't think DPR started with the idea his market would get this huge, not really

quote:

In 2011, I am creating a year of prosperity and power beyond what I have ever experienced. Silk Road is going to become a phenomenon and at least one person will tell me about it, unknowing that I was its creator.

Not to mention he kept a diary specifically because he thought people would want to write books about him someday

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

he thought it would be big enough that keeping a diary to one day be used to publish a book was a good idea

he also made a proclamation before this all started that he would be a billionaire by 2014

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

text editor posted:

Not to mention he kept a diary specifically because he thought people would want to write books about him someday

I want a book about Silk Road. :allears:

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

I guess my problem with labeling it sociopathic is that it seems to denote pre-existing mental abberation rather than a learned and developed conditions brought on by the experience and situation he put himself in. If you want me to concede that he is a sociopath now, then yeah I am good with that description, but I don't think he started out his drug kingpin career with that kind of edge, and had he been hit with a roadblock like a blackmailer before his project was worth millions, I think there would've been a much better chance he would've just walked away.

Money/power, especially holding on to it once you have it, make people into sociopaths, is my perspective on it.

he was a libertarian before he started silk road

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

yeah that sounds more like deluded Libertarianism/bitcoiner cult delusions to me, they all talk about how they are going to be rich and huge and are changing the world and making history etc. Ross was just a guy with enough attention span to actually move beyond the wiki.

Actually I bet Libertarianism and bitcoin probably have a pretty detrimental effect on the morality of people who get hooked into it, the constant promise of wealth and riches as long as you buy more I'm sure feeds into the kind of thinking that lead to Ross's attempted murders.

Anyeay I've posted too much so I'm gonna leave it at that, I'm sure people will disagree, this is just how it's coming off to me.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
I'm more inclined to think that a lack of morals and general selfishness and shortsighted greed draws people to libertarianism rather than the converse

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

yeah that sounds more like deluded Libertarianism/bitcoiner cult delusions to me, they all talk about how they are going to be rich and huge and are changing the world and making history etc. Ross was just a guy with enough attention span to actually move beyond the wiki.

Actually I bet Libertarianism and bitcoin probably have a pretty detrimental effect on the morality of people who get hooked into it, the constant promise of wealth and riches as long as you buy more I'm sure feeds into the kind of thinking that lead to Ross's attempted murders.

Anyeay I've posted too much so I'm gonna leave it at that, I'm sure people will disagree, this is just how it's coming off to me.

libertarianism/objectivism is entirely sold on the idea that everyone you don't like will be poor and living terrible lives at best while you get to live the high life

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

SynthOrange posted:

I want a book about Silk Road. :allears:

same, and Sarah Jeong should write it

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Elysiume posted:

I'm more inclined to think that a lack of morals and general selfishness and shortsighted greed draws people to libertarianism rather than the converse

chiken and egg thing, our experiences inform our beliefs, and our choices lead to our experiences. A kid getting exposed to Ayn Rand at the wrong point in their youth can gently caress them up for life.

But yeah, Ross was probably too far gone by the time he thought up SR.

So fine, he's a bad dude :v:

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

So fine, he's a bad dude :v:

yee

Nerdlord Actual
Apr 14, 2007

Awaken to your true self with Wisconsin Potatoes
Grimey Drawer

ruby idiot railed posted:

you realize you're all broken people tho right, like you (as a profession) willfully submerge yourself in that on a day to day basis

Things I had to put up with today as a Journalist

-lovely coffee at the office
-listener complaints over why we're too soft on Obama
-attempted homicide at a nail salon
-3 person fatal car accident
-having to pay attention to Mark Levin for more than 2 minutes
-'is Nguyen pronounced Nh-gwen or just just Gwen?'

computer toucher
Jan 8, 2012

restingwitchface posted:

hi guys

any questions?

edit: I am an idiot.

computer toucher fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Feb 5, 2015

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

wow, it took almost 9 hours to get to creepy lassiez fair meets kate beacon 2.0 territory

we can extrapolate from this to determine how long until lowtax closes yospos because the secret service is investigating more death threats

Ayn Randi
Mar 12, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Well for sure I mean I believe it's been demonstrated that simply being in a position of power and wealth can cause people to act more immorally, and outside of legit serious mental illness people aren't just born irredeemably bad. I guess I'm just saying we can separate empathy and understanding for how a person comes to this end without necessitating reducing the imperative to constrain and where possible correct the behaviours. He ought not to be dehumanised for what could ultimately be seen as a very human string of decisions and ideally we shouldn't revel in his punishment but he still needs to be kept safely apart i guess. I struggled with how to phrase this cos holy poo poo crime and punishment is just a massively complicated mess of grey that i dont think any society to date has really worked out. But someone who's demonstrated total unwillingness or inability to abide by the not onerous restriction of not trying to kill other people shouldnt be running free

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
rename yospos to lf

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

faaaaaaaaaaaart

Nerdlord Actual
Apr 14, 2007

Awaken to your true self with Wisconsin Potatoes
Grimey Drawer

Celexi posted:

rename yospos to lf

make lf a subforum of byob

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

kill everyone

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Celexi posted:

rename yospos to lf

lassiez fair.exe

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
laptop fair

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

let's faire

Ayn Randi
Mar 12, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Your Legal System is a Piece Of poo poo

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
I am feeling uncomfortable with these lf posters around

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
the last libertarian I talked to about politics said that given the choice between:
1. paying less money for healthcare and having poor people receive it for free
2. paying more money for healthcare and not having poor people receive it for free
that, if he received equal or worse healthcare for option #2, he would still choose it

he would pay more for worse healthcare so that poors get hosed over. also he thought 9-11 was a conspiracy and thought women were biologically stupider than men and was racist, all in all an awful guy. libertarians are trash

crusader_complex
Jun 4, 2012
what are the chances RU/DPR has some incriminating evidence about suppliers, or that he lost a lot of someone's money (though not the real hells angels', lol)? all of the sudden, the world knows his name and where he'll be for the next 30 years.

theres plenty of crazy irl stuff to the trial without crazy speculation, but still i wonder if anyone wants him dead.

Ayn Randi posted:

should have bought DPR approved iocaine powder

haha did anyone say this one yet?

mr Scoop
Feb 13, 2006

Help! Someone! Cut my head off, it's trying to murder the rest of me!

Grimey Drawer

Celexi posted:

rename yospos to lf

laughable firmware

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

surebet
Jan 10, 2013

specialist

you might want to read up on the hare model and the pcl-r assessment

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychopathy_Checklist

big gently caress off tl;dr is that psychopathy isn't quantified on a single axis, dpr could be a bit narcissistic (and really, who isn't) but otherwise socially functional all the while hiding some really nasty antisocial behavior, like the whole facilitating mail order heroine thing

computer toucher posted:

WILL YOU BE MY TIMID ASIAN WIFE?

it took 9 pages, better than i expected :shobon:

• Locked thread