Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

restingwitchface posted:

There's also like four documentaries. I'd like to produce something longer-form about the story in its entirety.

presented by sherriff john bunnell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

MORE CURLY FRIES posted:

where do I throw my money for this to actually happen

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

i wasnt joking

if you were to cover silk road and bitcoin only one person can carry off the appropriate level of disdain and bad puns

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

FCKGW posted:

Not only are you getting a book, you're getting a full length featured film too!

http://deadline.com/2013/10/fox-sets-dennis-lehane-to-adapt-silk-road-613293/

i hope they don't tone it down to make it more believable

restingwitchface
Jan 21, 2015

(not a garbage dick)

Buttcoin purse posted:

I've been wondering about the timestamp thing too. I'm not a computer forensic person or anything. What I do know is that Linux (err, sorry Mr Stallman, GNU/Linux) is pretty much guaranteed to come with a command that lets you change a file's timestamp, so anyone planting evidence who was halfway competent could have fixed that up (Karpeles though? I dunno), and if you were the men with guns intent on framing this poor young boy I'm sure you'd have done it even if there wasn't a command already on the laptop. I'm assuming that once you've imaged the laptop, you wouldn't be too stressed about making sure the laptop doesn't erase/change stuff because you can always get it back, so you might not worry about stopping programs like pidgin and bittorrent, so if they just left those things running and then shut the laptop down later, that might be the point at which pidgin closed inigo.log or whatever, so that's the time that appears in the directory listing. Maybe forensic people have procedures about that that mean that wouldn't happen, though.

Of course it could just be the men with guns planting evidence, which is why you should store mycrimes.txt on the blockchain, then there is a public ledger showing when it was changed!

Thanks for this, this was helpful.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

surebet posted:

without options to address addiction as a medical issue, in a medical setting

controversial opinion: you cannot treat an addiction to opiates (e.g. heroin, oxy) with a pure 12-step program. States - Kentucky, for example - that provide 12-step programs as the only option for diversion (e.g. for a drug charge you go to 'treatment' instead of prison) and forbid the use of subutex or suboxone are setting opiate addicts up to fail.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

MORE CURLY FRIES posted:

:pray:

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

restingwitchface posted:

There's also like four documentaries. I'd like to produce something longer-form about the story in its entirety.

yes please, especially if we can recommend it to longform.org :)

restingwitchface
Jan 21, 2015

(not a garbage dick)
https://twitter.com/ChuckCJohnson/status/563230712766009344

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

oops i almost got LF-y in here

butts, funy computer, mark karpeles

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

where do i know this loving guy from. i know we've laughed at him before, either here or in the security thread.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

Mido posted:

ross wasn't the wrong dude in the wrong place at the wrong time

all techno idiots are milling about in a desert with a thick white line of paint that they should not cross

i guarantee you that most yospos people following bitcoin have at considered at least once "well how would i do it", there are a lot of people here smarter than ross when it comes to topics of security and setting up websites (probably wouldnt do it in php of all loving things for starters), and not just yospos but other places on the internet

what separates people who do things like setting up a drug amazon/craigslist from people who don't is that most people realize that setting up something like this site is morally questionable and also extremely illegal and not worth the risk/reward

ross doesn't deserve the empathy you'd give a kid who discovered a peergroup that abuses meth and falls down that path, he comes from wealth and a caring family, he knows how to emulate compassion and be kind to others, he chose his stupid path, the one where conspicuously almost no one else was walking because of all the societal signs saying "dont loving bother"

you know what, I think I was just feeling swayed by the goon story about Federal prison, and it was making me more generous than I ought to be here. you guys are right, nothing forced him to get into this and become DPR, and in general libertarians are morally bankrupt. He made his bedhere, he knew the kind of poo poo he would be in for if he got caught but he dove in anyway despite every reason not to.

Yeah, gently caress him, there are way better people who get put away on bullshit that never get any attention, Ross is probably one of the least deserving of sympathy.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

it's insane and horrifying to think that a man with a copy of the Silk Road website on his personal laptop could be said operator of the website.

also let me tell you my thoughts on jet fuel and melting steel

restingwitchface
Jan 21, 2015

(not a garbage dick)

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

where do i know this loving guy from. i know we've laughed at him before, either here or in the security thread.

It's the guy who doxxed the ebola nurse and also someone he thought was Jackie from the Rolling Stone UVA story

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

surebet posted:

yeah be careful with relativism, the goal of justice isn't to find the most horrible crime/fucker

also minimum sentences themselves aren't the issue, standardisation of justice is a good thing even at the possession level

the length of the sentences in the books right now is a whole other issue, especially without options to address addiction as a medical issue, in a medical setting

anyhow i hope ross gets the option for parole with his 25+ years, even after baltimore. he hosed up something fierce, but heh, second chances and all

I get what you're saying about relativism, you're right that it's really the sentence (lack of parole opportunity especially) and not its relationship to other sentences that bothers me. but sentences reflect our beliefs about harm, and if he had been running a 9-figure marketplace for guns, I don't think he'd face LWOP. the distortion of sentencing by anti-drug crusades really bothers me. (not that I think every crime should have the same punishment, but that's a different tangent.)

I don't think mandatory minimums are standardization of justice because I think that a conviction for a given crime can encompass a number of different scenarios.

Ursine Asylum posted:

especially when it involves putting out hits on people and selling literal non-subjective kills-you-dead-and-not-in-some-abstract-sense poison in the name of free speech

my point is exactly that "he was accused of murder" shouldn't affect how he is sentenced in this trial. there was evidence presented, but because it wasn't the focus of the case (or really relevant to his conviction) we shouldn't expect that his defense made as strong a case as possible against it.

e:

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

Yeah, gently caress him, there are way better people who get put away on bullshit that never get any attention, Ross is probably one of the least deserving of sympathy.

is sympathy a finite resource? that would be pretty sad.

Subjunctive fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Feb 5, 2015

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

MORE CURLY FRIES posted:

no one photoshopped sarah pulling off a mask of her face to reveal that she was really karpeles?

good thing I don't have actual work to do today

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

restingwitchface posted:

It's the guy who doxxed the ebola nurse and also someone he thought was Jackie from the Rolling Stone UVA story

whay really

of course he'd be probutts too

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

FCKGW posted:

it's insane and horrifying to think that a man with a copy of the Silk Road website on his personal laptop could be said operator of the website.

also let me tell you my thoughts on jet fuel and melting steel

with detailed logs of interactions with other staff on the silk road website where they were talking to him like he was dread pirate roberts

also let me just tweet the name of someone who mightve been raped cos thats totally cool though k

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

this is funny, and I imagine very weird for Sarah

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

theflyingorc posted:

this is funny, and I imagine very weird for Sarah

sarah I swear I did no stalking whatsoever, that's like the first picture in Google for you.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

yeah he didn't use the photos I took outside your apartment for some reason even though they're p. good i got a sw8 lens on my rig

restingwitchface
Jan 21, 2015

(not a garbage dick)

sarah I swear I did no stalking whatsoever, that's like the first picture in Google for you.

I love it. Would post it on Twitter but it might weird out Mark Karpeles.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

lol

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

restingwitchface posted:

why would it weird you out

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
we are all mark karpeles, on the inside, under neath the masks

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

please continue not having work to do

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc
it's pretty weird that we all have to pretend we're joking about being Mark Karpeles to throw off the one real person who reads YOSPOS, and is reading this sentence right now

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

restingwitchface posted:

not much more than the death threats he already gets

post it

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

MORE CURLY FRIES posted:

also let me just tweet the name of someone who mightve been raped cos thats totally cool though k

there was also a far more recent blowup against feminism and betas because of course he's mra

also unironically talks about the benefits of having a submissive asian wife, I guess?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

restingwitchface posted:

but more importantly he poo poo on the floor in his college dorm

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

I get what you're saying about relativism, you're right that it's really the sentence (lack of parole opportunity especially) and not its relationship to other sentences that bothers me. but sentences reflect our beliefs about harm, and if he had been running a 9-figure marketplace for guns, I don't think he'd face LWOP. the distortion of sentencing by anti-drug crusades really bothers me.

I know you're trying to make a broader statement about drug sentencing as a whole, but ross ulbricht is a bad bad person. he didn't get caught up in something he didn't understand or grasp the moral particulars of, he willfully and gleefully ran an organization that sold life-ending drugs (remember the 420 contest? he was downright glib when he heard that the winner was back on heroin) to thousands and thousands of people. he financed criminal and terrorist activity by his actions even before you get to the cyanide or hitmen. he is a danger to society and if you counted each individual life he's ruined and charged him a month for it, he'd still be in jail for centuries

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
boring bitcoin hearing transcribed live, most of this is not interesting. i have attention issues so please do not rely too heavily on this:
  • some boring nonprofit dude talking about his bitcoin nonprofit (coincenter)
  • decentralized decentralized decentralized decentralized
  • online cash was impossible before bitcoin
  • online cash can't be files because files can be copied. this was solved by third-parties like paypal, who use ledgers to avoid double-spending
  • blockchain enables micropayments, self-executing contracts
  • today bitcoins represent money. but they could represent anything, like a house or a car
  • bitcoin today is like the internet is 1995: mostly viewed as a curiosity, but you could see the potential future. nobody thought about skype but they saw the pieces.
  • internet innovation only became popular due to the government taking a light-touch regulatory approach
  • long thing about current federal regulators/regulations

• question: "how is the originating investment done to create a bitcoin? there has to be a fund somewhere" plus two other questions i didn't type fast enough
  • "bitcoin's exchange rate is much more volatile than a traditional fiat currency"
  • bitcoin will eventually be as volatile as gold is
  • where do they come from: "this is a little difficult to explain"
  • i know how bitcoins are mined and his answer is incomprehensible
  • "how do i get a bitcoin?"
  • an exchange.
  • "will there ever be a company that only accepts bitcoin?"
  • some companies on the bleeding-edge only accept bitcoin, to offer cheaper prices to their consumers. because cc fees are 3% but bitcoin is ~1% (wow he didn't say no fees)
  • "with bitcoin, you can have reversability, but by default they're irreversible"
  • many companies are concerned about ~chargeback fraud~

• "one year ago the bitcoin value spiked almost overnight to almost $1200. now it's $220. what caused this, and were consumers screwed inadvertently?"
  • what caused the spike: increasing interest in bitcoins
  • "if i may: that kind of interest suggests a graph that does this [note: audio stream] but bitcoin was a 90-degree angle. that suggests manipulation"
  • what caused the spike: china investors. us senate hearings, which were good news for bitcoin.
  • what caused the decline: a correction, the enthusiasm overshot.
  • re: consumers getting screwed: the typical bitcoin person is not your typical consumer, they're sophisticated.
  • yes, volatility can hurt consumers. but you can just immediately spend/convert bitcoins and not deal with volatility.
  • "i'm gonna have a bit less sleep tonight because of you mr. chairman. welcome to the matrix"
  • "feel free to dream about me"
  • legislators very confused about coinbase USD Wallets. dude's example use case here is literally give USD to coinbase, give BTC to Bitpay, who give USD to vendor.

• "what does the [blockchain] contain? like names, how much you bought"
  • bitcoin is a pseudonymous system (starting to think this guy actually understands how bitcoin works)
  • as we saw just yesterday, a man just yesterday was convicted based partly on evidence in the blockchain

• major bitcoin exchanges have insurance

• how do we know cyberthreats aren't manipulating the blockchain?
  • "this will get complicated"

• tells them to use regulations identical to other states if possible
  • "down in dc they're talking about making the internet a utility", will this apply to bitcom
  • "can you explain the mount gocks issue where they owned like 78% of bitcom and lost $480 billion" (karpeles moving up in the world)
  • mtgox was the first really big bitcoin exchange. it was like the garage companies of the internet
  • steve jobs had the ability to bring apple to where it is today, dunno about steve wozniak
  • mtgox "were not prepared", found themselves totally unprepared, website was not up to snuff, don't know if they were hacked or if 9/11 it was an inside job
  • "it collapsed and people's bitcoins went away" :(

• old-sounding man talking about pyramid scheme in his youth called airplane
  • can you describe the difference between pyramid schemes and bitcoin
  • response: pyramid schemes and gold are basically identical except some people think gold has intrinsic value (??????)
  • bitcoin is like gold, it has intrinsic value
  • computer scientists have been working on things like bitcoin for decades, bitcoin solved it
  • question re: intent of creators
  • whether satoshi nakamoto was altrustic or not doesn't matter, because bitcoin exists.
  • it's open source and not nefarious
  • it doesn't matter if their intention was "boy i want to launch a new currency and collapse the dollar", it exists and that's a good thing (~libertarianism~)

• "vexing, very vexing"

• q: "who releases the 25 bitcoin? it's like god, who does the first creation?"
  • q: "they come into existence by themselves?"
  • "miners is the worst possible name for these people", should have been called verifiers
  • "from: nowhere, to: you. 25 bitcoins" the miner gets the bitcoins.

• "what's the recovery mechanism for someone who runs into a bad actor" [it's nothing, eat poo poo]
  • oh god he's trying to explain multi-signature cryptography to loving politicians
  • wait no he gave up almost immediately and just said "technological solutions!"
  • "do you own a bitcoin" "of course"

this is all just of the first guy and ended up way longer than i expected. there's a bunch of people testifying today so probably won't keep doing this

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

ruby idiot railed posted:

there was also a far more recent blowup against feminism and betas because of course he's mra

also unironically talks about the benefits of having a submissive asian wife, I guess?
he pretty much hits all the boxes on the awful person bingo card

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

leave him alone he won a highschool journalism award

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

FMguru posted:

he pretty much hits all the boxes on the awful person bingo card