Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Rarity, I usually get a false positive scum read on you because the way you look for scum doesn't make any sense to me. Aggressive scum hunting is never scummy. Why would that ever be the case?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Gamerofthegame posted:

Please don't not call out myself when you inevitably flipscum tia.

Scummiest person here sounds like Lumpen, with GP in a close second. But GP didn't call me out here and posted;

So I think he's trying to set something up.

##vote Gabriel Pope

Mostly gut, tho.

I honestly forgot you were playing after I discarded my RNG vote :shobon: But yes, thank you for de-lurking.

Still not really seeing anything particularly damning on Lumpen, so I'm not really sure why he keeps coming up on suspect lists.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Somberbrero posted:

Rarity, I usually get a false positive scum read on you because the way you look for scum doesn't make any sense to me. Aggressive scum hunting is never scummy. Why would that ever be the case?

Because it gets town players lynched. Do I really need to list all the players on SA who use it as a tactic?

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Rarity, trying to be polite here is giving me a headache. You play mafia weird, okay?

Aggressively pointing out anti-town behavior sometimes hits bad town players, yeah, which is why distinguishing between bad town play and scum play is an important skill.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Somberbrero posted:

Aggressively pointing out anti-town behavior sometimes hits bad town players, yeah, which is why distinguishing between bad town play and scum play is an important skill.

This point has zero relevance to your earlier statement.

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale

Gabriel Pope posted:

Rarity, what are your thoughts so far? You've been posting a lot but so far you've yet to contribute anything beyond your early jokevote.

EXAKT Science has also been very quiet and jokey.

Yeah sorry, I'm in a lot of games right now, and also going through some really dumb E/N poo poo irl, so I've been a bit distracted from this game.

I am still not super fond of Lumpen's play so far. I don't like how he townreads people here:

Lumpen posted:

Upon re-read, I feel Gabriel Pope, wall monitor, and Rarity are all likely Town.
gamerofthegame is slightly suspicious.
Good Sir and EXAKT are null.
CPig is playing his Scum game but one post isn't enough to be worth an OMGUS vote.
I don't like townreading people in general, but especially this early, when we have no information to work with, I don't see how it helps to advance scumhunting. Then, when he backs off on his Gaberiel townread, we get this:

Lumpen posted:

Ahh crap. I had given Gabriel Pope Townie cred for posting that he thought there were only 2 Scum. Just now reading the setups in the OP, I see that this was specifically stated. For some reason I thought this game had more players and there would be 3 Scum.
Why would you give someone townie cred for being wrong about the setup?

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

I'd been happy, and I was happy still. For all to be accomplished,
for me to feel less lonely,
all that remained to hope
was that on the day of my execution
there should be a huge crowd of spectators and that they should
greet me with howls of execration.
Plaster Town Cop
Scum don't make a mistake about how many Scum there are, they are acutely aware.

Somberbrero, thanks for being better than CPig. Are you Scum?
CPig actually replacing out is somewhat exculpatory.

Good Sir's lurking is now the Scummiest thing left to pursue at the moment.
##Vote Good Sir
Come out and contribute some content.

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

Plaster Town Cop
Gamerofthegame's last post was pretty Scummy.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Exakt, what do you think of Somber?

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale

Rarity posted:

Exakt, what do you think of Somber?

So far, I'm not a fan tbh. I don't like his entry post:

Somberbrero posted:

What's up nerds? I'm replacing Capitalist. Pigman is dead. Long live Pigman!

I did this my very first game, where I was scum. ##vote Gabriel Pope

One of the things Somber does that always strikes me as scummy is that he'll talk about his playstyle and use it to project. For example, "I did this thing when I was scum, and a different player with a different playstyle is doing it now, therefore they are scum!"

I also am not big on how he reacts when you question him:

Somberbrero posted:

Rarity, trying to be polite here is giving me a headache. You play mafia weird, okay?

I don't like that he gets exasperated and tries to get you to drop the subject, and I don't feel like this squares with his earlier defense of WM.
##vote Somberbrero

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
I have no idea how to respond to Rarity other than to tell her that she's wrong and say mean words. I'm not sure what you two are doing and how the behaviors you're pointing out correlate in any way to alignment. I don't think a big back and forth is productive here because it will just give Gabriel more room to hide, but there are clear issues with your reasoning.

One of the things Somber does that always strikes me as scummy is that he'll talk about his playstyle and use it to project. For example, "I did this thing when I was scum, and a different player with a different playstyle is doing it now, therefore they are scum!"

That's written as not 'one thing somber does as scum,' but rather 'one thing somber always does.' Even I buy into the premise that I do this behavior as town or scum, how then would that be indicative of my alignment?

I would ask you to be as specific as possible in detailing how my position on Wall Monitor is contradictory.

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

Plaster Town Cop
Good morning, game.

I felt that something seems off about EXAKT's last post about Somberbrero. It just feels wrong to me, like it is insincere or opportunistic or somehow fishy. I just don't like it.

votefinder
Jul 6, 2010

scoop scoop
Votecount for Day 1

Somberbrero (2): wall monitor, Lumpen, wall monitor, Rarity, Lumpen, EXAKT Science
Good Sir (2): Gabriel Pope, Lumpen
Gabriel Pope (2): wall monitor, Lumpen, wall monitor, Lumpen, Somberbrero, Gamerofthegame
wall monitor (1): fiery_valkyrie
Gamerofthegame (0): Gabriel Pope, Gabriel Pope
fiery_valkyrie (0): Rarity, Lumpen, Lumpen, Rarity
Rarity (0): Gamerofthegame, Gamerofthegame
Lumpen (0): Somberbrero, EXAKT Science, Somberbrero, EXAKT Science

Not Voting (2): Good Sir, wall monitor

With 9 alive, it's 5 votes to lynch. The current deadline is February 07th, 2015 at 8 a.m. GMT -- that's in about 15 hours, 57 minutes.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
I felt like I wasn't asking much in a response from Exakt, so that's lame. I know he's been busy though.

I still feel completely comfortable voting Pope Gabe.

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

Plaster Town Cop
Good Sir, if you are not Scum you should want to demonstrate it. The only way to accomplish this is to post alignment reads, and cast a vote.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Well, we've narrowed from 7+ different lynch votes down to 4. That's an improvement, but things are awfully quiet for how close we are to a deadline (which is in the middle of the night, so we really don't want to get down to the line) and how far we are from a lynch.

Somberbero (2): Capitalist Pig's refusal to participate and call for an arbitrary turbovote was incredibly awful and scummy. He had the grace to bow out (or got forced out?), which might be read as exonerating him somewhat... except his replacement has come in with an equally arbitrary vote and has actually tried to derail scumhunting discussion with calls for a quick lynch.

Good Sir (2): Still AWOL. I was really hoping to hear from him last night. His one (1) post so far is pretty scummy and lurkers are a problem one way or the other. I'd really like to see him speak up or :frogout:

Gabriel Pope (2): :shobon:

wall monitor (1): This case is starting to grow on me, but mostly just because he's gotten awfully quiet since yesterday morning. Would also like to hear more from him.

Other players:

EXAKT Science: Also feels really weird and lurky. He hasn't really posted enough material to go off of, but he really needs to step up and post more.

fiery_valkyrie: Hasn't posted a lot but the case on WM feels like it's coming from an earnest place--there are better targets for opportunistic scum.

Gamerofthegame: Gamer is not going to like me for saying this but I still feel pretty comfortable with him :shobon: He's still pretty lurky and I guess having his only contribution be a case out of the blue might be a little suspicious, but it did raise an interesting point and feels pretty sincere.

Lumpen: He's been all over the road lately. I was impressed with his early scumhunting but now I'm less convinced. Still, there's plenty of scummier players at the moment.

Rarity: I'm not as big a fan of meta arguments but I don't find anything objectionable here.

Right now Somber and Good Sir are the only votes I'm 100% comfortable with, although if Good Sir starts posting again I will back off that vote unless it's really, really incriminating.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
If I actually need to tell anyone why the post above me is scummy then please just lynch me now.

wall monitor
Jan 1, 2007

Gabriel Pope posted:

wall monitor (1): This case is starting to grow on me, but mostly just because he's gotten awfully quiet since yesterday morning. Would also like to hear more from him.

Wanted to throttle back a bit since I was throwing votes everywhere yesterday. If quietness is my biggest sin, there's at least one that's been quieter (Good Sir)

I've got literally half the people here on my suspicion list so I've been trying to narrow it down before i pick someone to make a case for. If I absolutely had to cast my vote right now it'd be Gabriel or Lumpen, with Good Sir earmarked if he stays quiet and Somberero for the reasons Gabe's stated.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Gabriel Pope posted:

Right now Somber and Good Sir are the only votes I'm 100% comfortable with, although if Good Sir starts posting again I will back off that vote unless it's really, really incriminating.

"Hey, let's lynch this lurker over one of the other many lurkers I felt the need to call out, for no particular reason."

Exakt and Rarity both cased me hard if poorly yesterday and Gabe has no comment on their content or them as players other than "post more?" If Gabe actually thinks I'm scum why would he just ignore those posts?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Somberbrero posted:

"Hey, let's lynch this lurker over one of the other many lurkers I felt the need to call out, for no particular reason."

Exakt and Rarity both cased me hard if poorly yesterday and Gabe has no comment on their content or them as players other than "post more?" If Gabe actually thinks I'm scum why would he just ignore those posts?

Good Sir is by far the lurkiest player and his only post is pretty scummy, so it should be pretty clear why he's a much better candidate than all the people who have tossed out a halfhearted case or two but not said much else. At the same time it's also clear that we need a lot of people to :justpost: more or else we're not going to learn much from this day's discussion regardless of who we lynch.

Rarity and EXAKT both made meta arguments against you and I specifically commented that I don't like their meta arguments as much, but there's not any lack of evidence of your scumminess so I'm not going to hold it against them.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
No, they didn't make exclusively meta arguments against me.

wall monitor
Jan 1, 2007

Gabriel Pope posted:

Rarity and EXAKT both made meta arguments against you and I specifically commented that I don't like their meta arguments as much, but there's not any lack of evidence of your scumminess so I'm not going to hold it against them.

Somberbrero posted:

No, they didn't make exclusively meta arguments against me.

These 'meta arguments' being the bit about Pig swapping out for Somber, or something else?

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

In a shocking turn of events, it's actually your post that's scummy here. You overexplain the arbitrary nature of your first vote and are far too eager to push a lurker vote right off the bat.

Gabriel Pope posted:

I don't actually put a lot of stock in the RNG and I'm not going to rest my case on someone's first post. But c'mon son, you gotta step up your game. Almost everybody has dropped a vote, you gotta have some opinions other than "I don't like the guy who said I might be scum."

##vote Good Sir

Is that actually any different from what you're doing? As far as I can tell you're voting me for advancing discussion and doing work.

I'd also challenge why you call my my vote on you arbitrary and scummy, when you confess to make arbitrary votes yourself. I mean, you should also explain how my vote is in any way arbitrary but that's besides the point.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

wall monitor posted:

These 'meta arguments' being the bit about Pig swapping out for Somber, or something else?

Rarity is arguing that what I've said this game contradicts with how I play mafia or something similarly pointless, but Exakt is saying that what I've said this game doesn't match up with my actions.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.

wall monitor posted:

Wanted to throttle back a bit since I was throwing votes everywhere yesterday. If quietness is my biggest sin, there's at least one that's been quieter (Good Sir)

I've got literally half the people here on my suspicion list so I've been trying to narrow it down before i pick someone to make a case for. If I absolutely had to cast my vote right now it'd be Gabriel or Lumpen, with Good Sir earmarked if he stays quiet and Somberero for the reasons Gabe's stated.

Why Gabe or Lumpen? Please explain why you think they are scum.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Valery. you're town. Tell me I'm not crazy here.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.
It's kind of tempting to mess with you...

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
Lumpen has made maybe two posts without the word scum in it and that reads scummy to me.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Gamerofthegame posted:

Lumpen has made maybe two posts without the word scum in it and that reads scummy to me.

Can you explain the rationale?

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

It's half gut half smelling strongly like he's trying to disassociate himself with the idea of being scum as strongly as possible, which isn't something I see townies doing.

Still in on Gabe, however.

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale

Somberbrero posted:

I have no idea how to respond to Rarity other than to tell her that she's wrong and say mean words. I'm not sure what you two are doing and how the behaviors you're pointing out correlate in any way to alignment. I don't think a big back and forth is productive here because it will just give Gabriel more room to hide, but there are clear issues with your reasoning.

That's written as not 'one thing somber does as scum,' but rather 'one thing somber always does.' Even I buy into the premise that I do this behavior as town or scum, how then would that be indicative of my alignment?

I would ask you to be as specific as possible in detailing how my position on Wall Monitor is contradictory.

Hey Somber, I really am sorry for not responding to this yesterday. I'm going through a breakup of a really longterm relationship while also trying to move and find a job, so I'm a bit out of it at the moment xD

The main thing that struck me was how it read to me like you were, on the one hand, talking about how important aggressive scumhunting is (I agree, by the way), but then also are excusing WM's scumminess. It felt like you were trying to stifle discussion while also talking about why that discussion is so important, which struck me as scummy. I've also seen you buddy up to scummy-acting townies and vouch for them when your scum, and I know that you're very good at faking scumhunting and leading townies around. Before you ask, yes, of course I'm over what happened in Low-Effort Mafia, why do you ask? :v:

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

Plaster Town Cop
Good Sir has one single post for the entire day. Lurking is the #1 strongest Scumsignal. Replace or lynch.

If we lynch him he's very likely to flip Scum, even though, if so, it wouldn't help establish any links with his Scumbuddy (besides, possibly, weak evidence in the vote record). Still, if he never posts, that's never happening anyway.

Lynch the lurker.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

And now he's going after lurkers on D1.

##vote Lumpen

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

EXAKT Science posted:

Hey Somber, I really am sorry for not responding to this yesterday. I'm going through a breakup of a really longterm relationship while also trying to move and find a job, so I'm a bit out of it at the moment xD

The main thing that struck me was how it read to me like you were, on the one hand, talking about how important aggressive scumhunting is (I agree, by the way), but then also are excusing WM's scumminess. It felt like you were trying to stifle discussion while also talking about why that discussion is so important, which struck me as scummy. I've also seen you buddy up to scummy-acting townies and vouch for them when your scum, and I know that you're very good at faking scumhunting and leading townies around. Before you ask, yes, of course I'm over what happened in Low-Effort Mafia, why do you ask? :v:

Oh wow dude, that really blows. You're a better person than I am for staying in the game. For what it's worth I meant what I said a while back, St. Louis is cheap and I can put you in touch with job people!

I see what you mean about Wall Monitor as it relates to my scum play back in Low-Effort Mafia, which is a game I still cherish. http://i.imgur.com/34gmo9E.png

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale

wall monitor posted:

I don't like this post. WM says their (what are your pronouns btw?) lurkiness should be excused because there's another player who is lurking more, and then the entire second paragraph is one big hedgefest, where they still refuse to commit to a read and list off almost half the players in the game as people they'd vote.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Gamerofthegame posted:

And now he's going after lurkers on D1.

##vote Lumpen

For what it's worth, he believes what he's saying. It's something I could consider if I wasn't sure in my read on Gabe.

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale

Somberbrero posted:

Oh wow dude, that really blows. You're a better person than I am for staying in the game. For what it's worth I meant what I said a while back, St. Louis is cheap and I can put you in touch with job people!

I see what you mean about Wall Monitor as it relates to my scum play back in Low-Effort Mafia, which is a game I still cherish. http://i.imgur.com/34gmo9E.png

Honestly, playing mafia has been helping, when I remember to post, because it's giving me something to distract myself.

Wall Monitor are you new?

wall monitor
Jan 1, 2007

EXAKT Science posted:

I don't like this post. WM says their (what are your pronouns btw?) lurkiness should be excused because there's another player who is lurking more, and then the entire second paragraph is one big hedgefest, where they still refuse to commit to a read and list off almost half the players in the game as people they'd vote.

Male pronouns. And I'm not sure what you're accusing me of here that I didn't just admit in that post? I was being quiet, and I'm hedging because I'm not confident right now.

You want a read, though? Fine, give me a few minutes.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

EXAKT Science posted:

Honestly, playing mafia has been helping, when I remember to post, because it's giving me something to distract myself.

Wall Monitor are you new?

http://votefinder.org/player/wall-monitor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

##unvote

• Locked thread