Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Halloween Jack posted:

Hughes is the ultimate example of the hick rear end in a top hat who has no identity besides "I'm a country boy," so it really fits.

oh hes also a violent sociopath

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
What's the biggest comedown between a great match and a terrible one on a PPV?

Like I just watched mania 13 and you go from Austin/Hart submission match -> Ahmed Johnson & LOD / Nation of Domination

Like the peak of pro wrestling to absolute garbage.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Blast Fantasto posted:

Like I just watched mania 13 and you go from Austin/Hart submission match -> Ahmed Johnson & LOD / Nation of Domination

e: nevermind my reading comprehension is poo poo

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Blast Fantasto posted:

Any multi-divas gimmick match involving costumes and/or mud pits.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Blast Fantasto posted:

This year's Rumble sorta qualifies but the Rumble itself is hardly a normal match.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

oh hes also a violent sociopath

Basically, yes. His book is a work of art.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Blast Fantasto posted:

The absolute worst example is going to be a pretty tall order, if only because of all the WCW PPVs where a great cruiserweight match was followed by something lousy.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Halloween Jack posted:

The absolute worst example is going to be a pretty tall order, if only because of all the WCW PPVs where a great cruiserweight match was followed by something lousy.

What followed Eddie vs Rey at Halloween Havoc? That's gotta be a hell of a gap in quality.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Alex Wright vs Mongo

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

Thauros posted:

While we're on the subject of Terry Funk themes, the theme he uses in Japan is pretty cool although admittedly not as good as the other famous cowboy gaijin theme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFnr8rf_5Y8

From the related videos, best Gaijin theme - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNpz2aebGBM

I remember WWF using it for video packages sometimes.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Gaz-L posted:

What followed Eddie vs Rey at Halloween Havoc? That's gotta be a hell of a gap in quality.

oldpainless posted:

Alex Wright vs Mongo

I'm pretty sure we found the answer.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Any match where Alex Wright dances could never be considered a comedown. How dare you.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Super Ninja Fish posted:

Any match where Alex Wright dances could never be considered a comedown. How dare you.

Or Mongo speaking.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Just for funsies, I've collected some examples of big dropoffs from WCW:

Clash of the Champions 88: Midnight Express vs. the Fantastics, followed by Dusty and the Road Warriors vs. Koloff, Barbarian, and Warlord.
GAB 90: Midnight Express vs. Armstrong and Smothers, followed by Vader vs. Zenk.
Superbrawl 92: Pillman vs. Liger followed by Buff Bagwell vs. Terry Taylor.
Starrcade 92: Sting vs. Vader for the tournament final, followed by the Battle Bowl.
Superbrawl 93: Cactus Jack vs. Paul Orndorff and The Rock'n'Roll Express vs. the Heavenly Bodies were bot hgreat matches, followed by Dustin Rhodes vs. Max Payne.
Souled Out 97: Eddie vs. Syxx followed by Hogan vs. Giant. A great ladder match that blew off an Eddie vs. Outsiders match, followed by a lumbering bout that ended with a massive nWo run-in which resolved nothing.
Fall Brawl 98: Konnan vs. Hall (DUD) followed by WCW vs. nWo vs. Wolfpac (minus ****) :laugh:
Greed 2001: Skipper & Romeo vs. Rey & Kidman, followed by Stasiak vs. Bigelow.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

According to Meltzer, the biggest dropoff and the biggest upshoot in WCW happened on the same night. Bret Hart vs. Sting (1.5) followed by Hogan vs. Warrior (-5) followed by Goldberg vs. DDP (3.25). That's a difference of 8 stars!

The next-biggest upshoot was when Sting vs. Sheik (rated "DUD") was followed by Flair vs. Steamboat (rated Flair vs. Steamboat).

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

What are you looking for?

Davros1 posted:

"The Raging Bull" Manny Fernandez coming out to Michael Jackson's "Beat It" was a real :psyduck:, but then again in the early eighties they had no idea on what to do with entrance music, so they just threw out any old thing. My favorite was some ICW guy coming out to the Indiana Jones theme.

Luke Harper, back in his early early indie days, came out to the ring to "The Right Stuff" by New Kids on the Block.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Jay 2K Winger posted:

Luke Harper, back in his early early indie days, came out to the ring to "The Right Stuff" by New Kids on the Block.

I always liked Devitt coming out to "You're the Best". Also obvious, but still funny, is Danielson coming out to Final Countdown.

Havoc904
Jul 29, 2006

A school festival is a festival that takes place at our school!
For biggest drop off, would Big Show vs Akebono in a sumo match right after HBK vs Angle at Wrestlemania 21 work? I know the sumo match was a gimmick thing, but man, between the promos, setting up the ring for the sumo stuff and then the entrances; that all really killed all of the momentum from HBK vs Angle.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Cameron vs AJ followed wyatts/shield at elimination chamber last year

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Halloween Jack posted:

Just for funsies, I've collected some examples of big dropoffs from WCW:

Clash of the Champions 88: Midnight Express vs. the Fantastics, followed by Dusty and the Road Warriors vs. Koloff, Barbarian, and Warlord.

I wouldn't count this. While it wasn't a great match, at least there was a story behind the 6 man match. Some of the others on your list look just like filler, and far more deserving.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
Currently working my way through the Monday Night War docs on the network, and most of the WCW stuff I've never seen before, so I find it hard to tell how biased it is. I get the impression that even when WCW was awesome, it got there through relying on WWF castoffs and dirty tricks; how accurate is that? Also, bias or not, Bischoff is undeniably a gigantic douchebag right? He certainly comes across that way, even when he's speaking for himself.

Completely unrelated: I read a lot on here about Davey Richards being an rear end, but I know nothing about the guy. What's the story there?

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Answers Me posted:

Currently working my way through the Monday Night War docs on the network, and most of the WCW stuff I've never seen before, so I find it hard to tell how biased it is. I get the impression that even when WCW was awesome, it got there through relying on WWF castoffs and dirty tricks; how accurate is that? Also, bias or not, Bischoff is undeniably a gigantic douchebag right? He certainly comes across that way, even when he's speaking for himself.

You're getting a very pro-WWE version of events on MNW. Yes, WCW used a lot of WWE cast offs, but I wouldn't say they used "dirty tricks" outside of paying guys a lot of money. But yes, Eric Bischoff is a monumental rear end in a top hat.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..
Vince did most of the things he accuses WCW of, and worse, in the process of the national expansion.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Answers Me posted:

Currently working my way through the Monday Night War docs on the network, and most of the WCW stuff I've never seen before, so I find it hard to tell how biased it is. I get the impression that even when WCW was awesome, it got there through relying on WWF castoffs and dirty tricks; how accurate is that?

The guys weren't so much "castoffs" as WCW hired them away when Vince couldn't afford to match the offer. Like Vince didn't want to lose Bret, he just couldn't afford him anymore. Same with Nash and Hall, they went to Vince and asked him to match what WCW was paying, and he couldn't.

But WCW also had Flair, Sting, DDP, Goldberg, etc who didn't need to credit WWF at all with their WCW success.

Edit: And yeah, Vince crying about WCW taking talent from him is the biggest laugh in the world. He stripped the territories to the bone.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Well, WCW did hire away Ric Flair, and Flair helped get Hogan on board, but Flair was just kinda hanging around the WWF upper-midcard and left the company on good terms. Not like it was a brutal poaching or anything.

Answers Me posted:

Completely unrelated: I read a lot on here about Davey Richards being an rear end, but I know nothing about the guy. What's the story there?
Davey Richards, Kyle O'Reilly, and Tony Kozina are collectively known as Team Ambition, or if you're a fan of Kevin Steen promos, "The Jiu-Jitsu Jackoffs." They think they're badass because they know BJJ, have a reputation for talking poo poo, stiffing opponents, and ripping off promoters and seminar attendees. Check out their entries in the old Carnies thread.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Feb 5, 2015

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Answers Me posted:

The Monday Night Wars series is terrible, poorly researched and biased.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

MassRafTer posted:

The Monday Night Wars series is terrible, poorly researched and biased.

Why research something when you can just make up your own narrative of what happened?

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Halloween Jack posted:

Davey Richards, Kyle O'Reilly, and Tony Kozina are collectively known as Team Ambition, or if you're a fan of Kevin Steen promos, "The Jiu-Jitsu Jackoffs." They think they're badass because they know BJJ, have a reputation for talking poo poo, stiffing opponents, and ripping off promoters and seminar attendees. Check out their entries in the old Carnies thread.

Didn't Davey Richards get kicked off of his own ROH farewell show for pretending to be sick and taking a booking in Japan? That's always the example I go to when trying to explain how many bridges he's burned.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Lumbermouth posted:

Didn't Davey Richards get kicked off of his own ROH farewell show for pretending to be sick and taking a booking in Japan? That's always the example I go to when trying to explain how many bridges he's burned.

I thought that was Kenny Omega?

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Lumbermouth posted:

There's two similar stories that come to mind with him. NJPW stopped booking him in 2012 after he missed a tour during one of his reigns as 1/2 of the IWGP jr tag champs for some dubious reason.

ROH removed him from what was supposed to be his final booking for them at Final Battle 2013 after he said a bunch of negative poo poo about them on a UK indie show. Both sides publicly released nasty statements shortly afterward.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Lumbermouth posted:

What happened was he skipped a NOAH tour claiming to be injured as he expected to get a WWE deal. ROH then pulled him for lying to NOAH.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

triplexpac posted:

Edit: And yeah, Vince crying about WCW taking talent from him is the biggest laugh in the world. He stripped the territories to the bone.

It kind of reminds me of story Bob Odenkirk told about failing an audition to work on SNL. He realized that he had blown it with Lorne Michaels when he hadn't acted like working on SNL would be the greatest thing in his life.

I think Vince is a lot like that. He would offer talent in other promotions a shitload of money to jump ship, but couldn't imagine anyone doing the same to him, because why would anyone want to leave WWE, even if it was for more money and a lighter scheduled?

And keep in mind, after all the whining about WCW stealing talent, and about how they NEVER did that, a couple of years later WWE tried to pull that same poo poo when they offer UFC's Mike Goldberg a shitload of money to no-show a UFC PPV and become a commentator for them.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

MassRafTer posted:

What happened was he skipped a NOAH tour claiming to be injured as he expected to get a WWE deal. ROH then pulled him for lying to NOAH.

So he burned all his bridges because he thought he was getting the call up, and then didn't get the call up? What's he doing now, appearing in front of seventeen hillbillies in a National Guard armory somewhere for a hot dog?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Davros1 posted:

It kind of reminds me of story Bob Odenkirk told about failing an audition to work on SNL. He realized that he had blown it with Lorne Michaels when he hadn't acted like working on SNL would be the greatest thing in his life.

I think Vince is a lot like that. He would offer talent in other promotions a shitload of money to jump ship, but couldn't imagine anyone doing the same to him, because why would anyone want to leave WWE, even if it was for more money and a lighter scheduled?

And keep in mind, after all the whining about WCW stealing talent, and about how they NEVER did that, a couple of years later WWE tried to pull that same poo poo when they offer UFC's Mike Goldberg a shitload of money to no-show a UFC PPV and become a commentator for them.

Well, you see, Vince just used aggressive hiring practices, he didn't poach talent!

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Blast Fantasto posted:

Undertaker / HHH at WrestleMania 27 followed by a three-minute Snooki match and Miz / Cena.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Taker/Punk followed by Triple H/Brock at Mania 29 comes to mind too.

SaberToothedPie
Dec 24, 2012

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frolf:

he knows...

Memento posted:

So he burned all his bridges because he thought he was getting the call up, and then didn't get the call up? What's he doing now, appearing in front of seventeen hillbillies in a National Guard armory somewhere for a hot dog?

Worse, TNA

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

So no hot dog?

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

Gaz-L posted:

So no hot dog?

oh you get a hot dog

no bun or toppings though

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

triplexpac posted:

I always liked Devitt coming out to "You're the Best". Also obvious, but still funny, is Danielson coming out to Final Countdown.

I only got to see Danielson live once (during tie-gate against Shingo in Philly) and he didn't even get to do the entrance, it was probably the most disappointing thing ever. There wasn't even a good excuse for it they just skipped it for no reason :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Timby posted:

Undertaker / HHH at WrestleMania 27 followed by a three-minute Snooki match and Miz / Cena.

Shield/Evolution at Extreme Rules was followed by the Cena/Wyatt clusterfuck