Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FraudulentEconomics
Oct 14, 2007

Pst...

widespread posted:

Huh. Thanks for the heads-up and all that jazz. I'm probably gonna check out Construct 2 for it, since it seems to be the least tapped resource. Not to mention it doesn't have the infamy both Game Maker and RPG Maker seem to have in terms of awful games.

In terms of how the game is supposed to go, I think I will keep it sorta simple, with one or two unique qualities (boss quick-killing and boosters in place of items). Probably get a small "demo" out with the free edition to see if I'm actually alright with this.

Just need to get comfy with drawing assets, is all I probably need to do. And adjust gameplay if it isn't gonna be easily top-down.

Don't let the negative stigma of gamemaker and RPG maker get you down, they are powerful it's just that most people lead with "I MADE DIS IN RPGMAKER KEKEKE" and people automatically assume mouthbreathing neckbeard with a body pillow. A lot of games don't even really advertise what engine they made their games in, if you can keep it hidden enough, some people might still see it, but odds are if they're looking that far into it, they're probably invested beyond anything that being one of those "bad" programs could dissuade.

I use construct 2 quite a bit, and though sometimes you need to jury rig something to make it work, it's extremely powerful for the particular genres it can do well (platformers, top down, touhou-likes).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The benefit of Game Maker and RPG Maker is that while they have a stigma of being used by idiots, they also have a massive community, and as a result if you get stuck with something you'll almost certainly be able to get the help you need.

Construct 2, as much as I like it, has a FAR smaller community, so you might need to faff around a bit.

FraudulentEconomics
Oct 14, 2007

Pst...
I know games like Pocket and Dragon, Brave Frontier, and Love Live! make use of a gacha mechanic, but is gacha actually something people want? I know it works fairly well as a monetezation device but are there ways to prevent people from getting tired of it too quickly? Mobile app development is piquing my interest right now, and that's sort of the angle I'm working with my design. I'm trying to think of ways to let players feel less at the mercy of the RNG and have a bit more control over their luck.

Selections of prizes that have a higher chance seems to be a good way to encourage it, but I was thinking more of having a rotating cycle of archetypes that get chance increases. Something like red units have increased chances every 5 days or something like that. I know it's kind of a cop out mechanism, so that's why I'm trying to think of ways that encourage players to buy microtransactions that AREN'T necessarily paying for power. Cosmetics, energy refills (sort of still paying for power), experience bonuses (again, still kind of paying for power), and alternative currency exchanges are some methods I've thought of, but the game that really strikes me as profound in this regard is League of Legends.

Only problem is you can't have the kind of game development that takes place over the course of 20-50 minutes on an average game within a smartphone game.

I'd considered allowing players to directly purchase certain things, but then you run into an issue where everyone buys the same stuff and no one does random. Though while I'm thinking about it... that could be an interesting way to 'retire' units from a pool of possible results, keeping it fresh and still allowing players to plug holes they don't want to risk (or have already risked and gotten tired of). So say hypothetically you always have 30 units available in the random pool, and every time you add 5/6, you take the oldest 5/6 out and put them into a 'retired' section where they can be purchased using the same currency as the random, only at a reduced cost. It makes me think of how a new smartphone release happens, where the bleeding edge GOTTA HAVE IT NOW people will shell out stupid amounts of money for the new phone, while others will wait until it goes down in price and still purchase it.

So let's look at it like this, You can do a random chance of 1 of 30 units for 75 currency, or you can buy a specific 'retired' unit for 50 currency. How's that sound?

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Please remind me to draw more often.
Soiled Meat

Unormal posted:

Wall upgrade.

I loooove this art! It would be really fun to do a sci fi sprite set in this style.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

FraudulentEconomics posted:

I know games like Pocket and Dragon, Brave Frontier, and Love Live! make use of a gacha mechanic, but is gacha actually something people want? I know it works fairly well as a monetezation device but are there ways to prevent people from getting tired of it too quickly? Mobile app development is piquing my interest right now, and that's sort of the angle I'm working with my design. I'm trying to think of ways to let players feel less at the mercy of the RNG and have a bit more control over their luck.

Selections of prizes that have a higher chance seems to be a good way to encourage it, but I was thinking more of having a rotating cycle of archetypes that get chance increases. Something like red units have increased chances every 5 days or something like that. I know it's kind of a cop out mechanism, so that's why I'm trying to think of ways that encourage players to buy microtransactions that AREN'T necessarily paying for power. Cosmetics, energy refills (sort of still paying for power), experience bonuses (again, still kind of paying for power), and alternative currency exchanges are some methods I've thought of, but the game that really strikes me as profound in this regard is League of Legends.

Only problem is you can't have the kind of game development that takes place over the course of 20-50 minutes on an average game within a smartphone game.

I'd considered allowing players to directly purchase certain things, but then you run into an issue where everyone buys the same stuff and no one does random. Though while I'm thinking about it... that could be an interesting way to 'retire' units from a pool of possible results, keeping it fresh and still allowing players to plug holes they don't want to risk (or have already risked and gotten tired of). So say hypothetically you always have 30 units available in the random pool, and every time you add 5/6, you take the oldest 5/6 out and put them into a 'retired' section where they can be purchased using the same currency as the random, only at a reduced cost. It makes me think of how a new smartphone release happens, where the bleeding edge GOTTA HAVE IT NOW people will shell out stupid amounts of money for the new phone, while others will wait until it goes down in price and still purchase it.

So let's look at it like this, You can do a random chance of 1 of 30 units for 75 currency, or you can buy a specific 'retired' unit for 50 currency. How's that sound?

Why are you pricing your random chance higher than the cost of a specific unit? It should be the other way around. The entire attraction of lottery ticket rewards / gacha (hadn't heard this term before) is that you could get a good value. It's the same way that tcgs work too. Unless the idea is that the random ones are always valuable but the retired ones suck for some reason, but that doesn't sound like what you want.

I feel like you'd do better to have a random pool at price X, individual units at price X+Y. The random pool should contain some elements that can't be purchased directly. If you want to retire units from the randomization pool, either roll out new pools periodically, or retire the old units to a price X+Y+Z price as singles later on to encourage people to buy "new."

The current Dota2 chest system works on the random pool X, individuals at X+Y, with rare random only drops possible. X is $2.50 and X+Y is $8-9, and the pool is 4 deep plus rares, so it makes buying the entire "suite" at $10 look like good value compared to buying just the one you want at $8.

FraudulentEconomics
Oct 14, 2007

Pst...

Sigma-X posted:

Why are you pricing your random chance higher than the cost of a specific unit? It should be the other way around. The entire attraction of lottery ticket rewards / gacha (hadn't heard this term before) is that you could get a good value. It's the same way that tcgs work too. Unless the idea is that the random ones are always valuable but the retired ones suck for some reason, but that doesn't sound like what you want.

I feel like you'd do better to have a random pool at price X, individual units at price X+Y. The random pool should contain some elements that can't be purchased directly. If you want to retire units from the randomization pool, either roll out new pools periodically, or retire the old units to a price X+Y+Z price as singles later on to encourage people to buy "new."

The current Dota2 chest system works on the random pool X, individuals at X+Y, with rare random only drops possible. X is $2.50 and X+Y is $8-9, and the pool is 4 deep plus rares, so it makes buying the entire "suite" at $10 look like good value compared to buying just the one you want at $8.

You actually hit the nail on the head with the comment about being able to buy old crappy* units once newer units come out. As compared to dota where you can get the 4 in 4 chests, these will have duplicates so you're not guaranteed to get the set in a full set of chances. (The old units still have value in their abilities)

What Brave Frontier does is have unit rate ups for specific roles, so what I'm suggesting is a way to keep new units rolling in while giving players an alternative (albeit, a weaker one) to just chucking money at a random chance. Another clarification I should make is that new units can't be bought individually. They're only from the random chance until they cycle out of the rotation. While the argument could be made that it punishes long term players rather than the new arrivals, that's actually a main factor in that decision.

Going back to the notion of buying old units directly, I like this idea because if I'm not getting lucky with something I need, I can take an outdated version for slightly less than a random pull. Obviously it sounds logical to me, but this is why I'm asking for input.

To further clarify for you, it'd be like this.

New units cost 5 currency, and they're one of 30 current units in the pool. As new units come into the pool, older ones go into retirement and can be purchased for 4 currency. For each series of 6 that goes in, the oldest series then gets retired. So the units you can buy directly are 5 series behind the current set. At minimum.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

widespread posted:

I'm probably gonna check out Construct 2 for it, since it seems to be the least tapped resource.
This is an extremely dumb thing to say w/r/t game development. Or any development. Or anything that's not like drilling for oil or something.

widespread posted:

Not to mention it doesn't have the infamy both Game Maker and RPG Maker seem to have in terms of awful games.

I don't know from RPG maker but this is a straight-up wrong opinion to hold about game maker.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Doesn't RPG Maker VX let you export to XNA? I think that's what that Lisa game did.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

a productive night

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKDv57ilULE

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
[DESIRE TO CORG MORE INTENSIFIES]

I was going to say that I was the one hopping almost incessantly but it looks like almost everyone does that, which is perfect.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

FraudulentEconomics posted:

You actually hit the nail on the head with the comment about being able to buy old crappy* units once newer units come out. As compared to dota where you can get the 4 in 4 chests, these will have duplicates so you're not guaranteed to get the set in a full set of chances. (The old units still have value in their abilities)

What Brave Frontier does is have unit rate ups for specific roles, so what I'm suggesting is a way to keep new units rolling in while giving players an alternative (albeit, a weaker one) to just chucking money at a random chance. Another clarification I should make is that new units can't be bought individually. They're only from the random chance until they cycle out of the rotation. While the argument could be made that it punishes long term players rather than the new arrivals, that's actually a main factor in that decision.

Going back to the notion of buying old units directly, I like this idea because if I'm not getting lucky with something I need, I can take an outdated version for slightly less than a random pull. Obviously it sounds logical to me, but this is why I'm asking for input.

To further clarify for you, it'd be like this.

New units cost 5 currency, and they're one of 30 current units in the pool. As new units come into the pool, older ones go into retirement and can be purchased for 4 currency. For each series of 6 that goes in, the oldest series then gets retired. So the units you can buy directly are 5 series behind the current set. At minimum.

So units are powering up, so if I buy from the lottery I can get a level 20 dude, but if I buy direct I get a level 10 dude to shore up my weak points?

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Is there anything online or in textbook form that offers a reasonably well-rounded primer on video game graphics for babbies that goes into enough depth to help me figure out what I need to research? I've had an aesthetic in mind for a while, and I know in my head what I want everything to look like, but I'm getting to the point where I need to start seriously considering implementations, and I can say "I want it to look like X", but I have absolutely no notion of how to break that down into lighting, textures, shaders, materials, and so forth.

FraudulentEconomics
Oct 14, 2007

Pst...

Sigma-X posted:

So units are powering up, so if I buy from the lottery I can get a level 20 dude, but if I buy direct I get a level 10 dude to shore up my weak points?

Think of it less in levels in a traditional sense. The older unit may only reach 500 in their stats while newer can reach 600+. They're individually available for purchase when they're outclassed so if you don't care which you get, you can get generally more powerful.

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.

Well, there's one way I can sum up my feelings towards this video

COOOOOOOORGIIIEEEEEEEEESSSSSS

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.
Game dialog tree getting way out of hand here :gonk:

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Spending too much time making mockups and shaders and not enough time on the actual game

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Shalinor posted:

Hey, it's saturday, and we're talking about pixel art / non-pixel art games, so SCREENSHOTS. Yay.

That's Jooseppi. He's running on a worker's rights / communist platform to try and oust the current mayor. He's holding that rally in front of Ossified Egg, the luxury penthouse smack dab in the middle of the urban zone the industrial powers are "revitalizing" (gentrifying).

Jooseppi is an actual real-world cat whose owner graciously allowed us to use his image in-game. :3:

:neckbeard: Jooseppi's poster looks so awesome in game, especially in the video you posted :allears:
I was wondering if you'd still use my poster, glad to see it's still in and that the game is almost done! :sun:

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Early screenshot saturday (well for me anyway - I guess farther east it's been saturday for longer than 2 hours). I've started working on my game again so I felt like showing something off. This is what I've been working on the past few days:

Dialog systems! With choices! You would not believe how much it took just to get that working. At least with the new Unity UI doing the text outlines and rollover highlights is fairly easy. I don't even want to know what I would have had to do if I'd tried before 4.6 came out.

Also, when setting up a system to allow the player character to use chairs, I should probably have remembered to check if the chair is already occupied:

Coldrice
Jan 20, 2006

Finally got around to adding some engine effects

It scales with the amount of power you put into the engines as well!

evilentity
Jun 25, 2010

Manslaughter posted:

Spending too much time making mockups and shaders and not enough time on the actual game

I really need to learn me some more shaders. Any decent resources you can suggest?

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?
I see you've modeled the champagne room accurately.

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

I'm makin a technical action game input handler for unity because I got brain problems !!! Will report back.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
Screenshot saturday :woop:

Here's my cool debug gun:

http://i.imgur.com/cHcLr3V.gifv

I can have a fuckload of rockets without impacting my game's fps.

Coldrice posted:

These would look a lot better with particles coming out of the engine in addition to the beams. I see you're working with your own engine, but it looks like you already have alpha values for sprites in your game so it shouldn't be hard to add particle effects?

Winty
Sep 22, 2007

evilentity posted:

I really need to learn me some more shaders. Any decent resources you can suggest?

Yess! Shadertoy!

Shaders are the bomb. They are super powerful, portable, and pretty easy to get your head around and play with. Here's a shader I hacked together to make a simple 'rolling sea' effect in a top-down game. Took hardly any time and once I had this working, all it took to drop into the game was changing a couple variable names.

e: I guess this doesn't really answer your question of where to actually learn about shaders, but browsing other peoples' can be pretty educational. Here's a decent tutorial I found.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Count Uvula posted:

Screenshot saturday :woop:

That's pretty juicy. Nice work. I feel like maybe a tiny bit more screen shake when the rockets impact wouldn't go amiss though.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Fooling around with an item interface that is kinda Ultima 7 meets RE4:

Most games go the icon route but I always liked Ultima 7's more immersive approach. Of course U7 got to be a nightmare of sorting through bags to find something tiny but if a game was based around using a much smaller pool of items it might not be too bad.

I really wanted to not use colliders for this couldn't come up with a simpler approach since mesh.bounds is axis aligned.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Yeah if you don't have a billion things that you can layer on top of each other and hopelessly lose it shouldn't be a problem but I don't think many people look back on Ultima 7's inventory system fondly. Yes it was "neat" but it was also a massive pain in the rear end that probably ended a lot of runs for people eventually.

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

That's pretty juicy. Nice work. I feel like maybe a tiny bit more screen shake when the rockets impact wouldn't go amiss though.

If you're going to add any more screenshake then that, or keep it in at all. Please make it a menu toggle for 0 shake, that option, and then whatever. I'd probably play through with that much screen shake but I know many people who would turn it off outright. One of the things confusing me / the game logic is what the screen shake does when you rocket a flying enemy. It seems to shake completely differently (longer, farther and slower). And I would definitely turn off the screenshake feature if it shook like that every time.

IMO Screenshake is one of those features that only sounds amazing and enthralling on paper, like levelling up abilities / skills in RPGs based on how often you use the skills

evilentity
Jun 25, 2010

Winty posted:

Yess! Shadertoy!

Shaders are the bomb. They are super powerful, portable, and pretty easy to get your head around and play with. Here's a shader I hacked together to make a simple 'rolling sea' effect in a top-down game. Took hardly any time and once I had this working, all it took to drop into the game was changing a couple variable names.

e: I guess this doesn't really answer your question of where to actually learn about shaders, but browsing other peoples' can be pretty educational. Here's a decent tutorial I found.

Yeah, Ive done some shader tutorials before, so I have some basic understanding. But when i see some crazy poo poo like this in 30 lines im just lost. I guess all this math makes this this hard to wrap my head around. Browsing shadertoy and learning how they work is probably best course of action.

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?

I love that effect on the leaves!

dizzywhip
Dec 23, 2005

zolthorg posted:

If you're going to add any more screenshake then that, or keep it in at all. Please make it a menu toggle for 0 shake, that option, and then whatever. I'd probably play through with that much screen shake but I know many people who would turn it off outright. One of the things confusing me / the game logic is what the screen shake does when you rocket a flying enemy. It seems to shake completely differently (longer, farther and slower). And I would definitely turn off the screenshake feature if it shook like that every time.

IMO Screenshake is one of those features that only sounds amazing and enthralling on paper, like levelling up abilities / skills in RPGs based on how often you use the skills

I find it hard to believe that anyone would stop playing a game because of such a tiny amount of screenshake. Outside of a few recent posts in this forum, I can't recall ever hearing anyone say that they dislike screenshake in general, and I think the real reason people hate on it here is because basically every 2D indie game uses it, not because it's a bad effect. It can be annoying and distracting if it's too exaggerated, which, to be fair, is the case in a fair number of indie games, but when it's done tastefully it adds a lot.

Firebelly
Feb 7, 2015

Friend to Children

Coldrice posted:

That's looking pretty sharp. How many layers do you use for the stars or are they particles?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

dizzywhip posted:

I find it hard to believe that anyone would stop playing a game because of such a tiny amount of screenshake. Outside of a few recent posts in this forum, I can't recall ever hearing anyone say that they dislike screenshake in general, and I think the real reason people hate on it here is because basically every 2D indie game uses it, not because it's a bad effect. It can be annoying and distracting if it's too exaggerated, which, to be fair, is the case in a fair number of indie games, but when it's done tastefully it adds a lot.

I also never understood why people hate head bob but I've read enough posts on the internet to know that it gives some people motion sickness. The strength of PC games is in the options and I think people would appreciate the option to turn off unnecessary visual features just like I immediately turn off screen blur in 3D games.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

dizzywhip posted:

I find it hard to believe that anyone would stop playing a game because of such a tiny amount of screenshake.

It makes a decent % of people really sick almost immediately. I tend to play nuclear throne with 50% screen shake because the full screen shake is too much for me. The option to disable screen shake was added nearly at the beginning because there were so many comments from users in the twitch stream that they couldn't play the game as is (that game has a lot of screen shake).

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
On the other hand, I play Nuclear Throne with 0% screenshake because I just think screenshake is really annoying and gets in the way of playing the game. Doesn't really need to make you sick to be bothered by it.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

zolthorg posted:

One of the things confusing me / the game logic is what the screen shake does when you rocket a flying enemy. It seems to shake completely differently (longer, farther and slower). And I would definitely turn off the screenshake feature if it shook like that every time.

I was confused for a bit trying to figure out why it would shake that long, myself. I figured out it was an enemy going to town on something off-screen though and it just happened to line up perfectly with the rocket hitting the flying enemy :v: I will add the ability to disable or halve screenshake, though.

Nition posted:

I love that effect on the leaves!

Thanks! I'm bad at math so it took me a while to get the bounce right.

IronicDongz posted:

On the other hand, I play Nuclear Throne with 0% screenshake because I just think screenshake is really annoying and gets in the way of playing the game. Doesn't really need to make you sick to be bothered by it.

I'm really thankful for the half shake option in Nuclear Throne. I like it a lot but having it set at the default value can make the screen shake so much that you'll die because you can't tell where your character is, and it is a crushing blow to morale when it happens on loop 3 of your daily run.

Count Uvula fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Feb 9, 2015

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Can't be worse than the screen shake in Planetside 2, which is a GAMEPLAY FEATURE!! and also shakes your aiming reticule around as well.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

I don't even know what I'm doing..

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Shoehead posted:

I don't even know what I'm doing..

Put a goal at each end and some obstacles in the middle, add multiplayer, and you have yourself a videogame air hockey table.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coldrice
Jan 20, 2006

Firebelly posted:

That's looking pretty sharp. How many layers do you use for the stars or are they particles?

there is just one star layer, but they move across at a different rate. Pretty much each star has a speed which is multiplied against the speed of the ship. Once it's off the screen, it rolls some dice for a random look, and then starts over at the other side of the screen.

also

space is fun