Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Robnoxious posted:

ESPN is always business business business and lacks anything that resembles heart which the TNT crew counters in spades.
It's because ESPN's NBA coverage sounds like people shouting over each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Vertical Lime posted:

CM Punk agrees

CM Punk's problem was not concussions.

(It was arguably worse, but if there's one thing WWE seemingly does not gently caress around with anymore it's concussions.)

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

FuzzySkinner posted:

It's just amazing how night and day better that whole crew is versus the ABC/ESPN crew.

Hearing Sir Charles talk during a blow out made me actually sit through the whole thing just to hear him shoot the breeze and speak his mind.

The Breen/JVG/Mark Jackson crew? Ear Bleeding bad. Their banter is just really awful.

I actually thought Breen and JVG were pretty good together but the addition of Mark Jackson is just awful.

The TNT crew is the best on TV. EJ I agree is underrated and when he gets snubbed for Bob loving Costas for those awards for best Host it's a travisty. I think the most surprising thing to me is how good Chris Webber is at announcing a game and also being on the TNT panel. He fits in way better than Shaq does. I know I'm in the minority but I also like Jalen Rose and Bill Simmons together. The ESPN panel of Bill Simmons, Sage Steele, and Jalen rose was pretty great to listen to too. Barkley is the star of it all even when he says stuff I disagree with. I am just glad I get to experience it twice a week. Also imo SAS should sponsor EJ one week.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates
Jalen and Bill work well together because for the most part their most annoying qualities pull in different directions and cancel each other out.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Sash! posted:

There was an ESPN cologne? Good gravy.

I also think there was an ESPN 900 number, back when 900 numbers were still a thing.

Faxanadu
Apr 18, 2003

Chris Webber is the best former player analyst on tv. I hope he replaces Charles when he retires.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I really liked Jamal Mashburn in the studio but I think he's too busy running his 30 businesses or whatever to do it full time

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!

Retail Slave posted:

I also think there was an ESPN 900 number, back when 900 numbers were still a thing.

When I saw this post, I remembered part of the jingle: "call 1-900-976-ESPN!"

And then I found video proof.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

OrangeKing posted:

When I saw this post, I remembered part of the jingle: "call 1-900-976-ESPN!"

And then I found video proof.

95 cents per minute!

Remember when it was a big deal that they would put scores on a ticker every half hour?

I used to tape the 10 pm baseball game when I was little because that was the quickest way to see who won.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

ElwoodCuse posted:

95 cents per minute!

Remember when it was a big deal that they would put scores on a ticker every half hour?

I used to tape the 10 pm baseball game when I was little because that was the quickest way to see who won.
One of the selling points of IBM's Prodigy internet service back in the late 80's was basically, "YOU CAN READ BOX SCORES AND SPORTS NEWS!!! IN REAL TIME EVEN!!!"

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

http://deadspin.com/greg-anthonys-soliciting-charge-will-be-dropped-1685229578

Charges are being dropped against Greg Anthony

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

In case anybody cares, NASCAR has a new TV deal this season. Here's an effortpost I did for the NASCAR thread (if you don't lurk/post there) detailing what's new:

NASCAR ON TV

In case you missed it, this is the first year of NASCAR's new TV deal for the Sprint Cup and Xfinity aka NXS aka INXS Series. TNT and ESPN are gone and we go back to the future, reverting to something reminiscent of 2001-2006. FOX and FOX Sports 1 (FS1) cover the first halves of the season for both series, as well as the entire Camping World Truck Series schedule. Starting with the Coke Zero 400 at Daytona, NBC and NBCSN take you to the finish. NBCSN will have the majority of the races for the K&N East and West Series, as well as Whelen Modifieds, on tape delay.

FOX and FS1 continue to carry the entire CWTS schedule, but with an overhauled on-air team. Bob Dillner and Ray Dunlap are gone, replaced by Vince Welch, Kaitlyn Vincie, and Matt Yocum on a rotating basis.

-

Sprint Cup:
Booth- Mike Joy, Larry McReynolds, Darrell Waltrip
Pits- Jamie Little, Chris Neville, Matt Yocum
Hollywood Hotel- Chris Myers, Michael Waltrip (except the Daytona 500)
Roving Reporter?- Jeff Hammond?
Rules Expert- Andy Petree

The Cup team remains largely the same. Little comes over from FOX, presumably to replace Krista Voda. More on her later. Chris Neville of FOX's sports car coverage comes to NASCAR pit road from TNT.

Andy Petree is a late addition, being the NASCAR equivalent of Mike Pereira. I wish him luck finding a copy of the NASCAR Rulebook, because if you're unfamiliar with NASCAR, it's unclear if one even exists and how Petree will be able to interpret it.

I haven't seen what's up with Jeff Hammond. Rumor was he was out.

Xfinity:
Booth- Adam Alexander, Michael Waltrip, Jeff Gordon/Kevin Harvick/Brad Keselowski (rotating)
Pits- Vince Welch, Jamie Little, Chris Neville, Matt Yocum

This was kept secret until a couple weeks ago. TNT and FOX vet Adam Alexander gets the call along with Michael Waltrip for all Xfinity races. The big surprise comes in the form of the third man in the booth, revealed to be a rotating cast of Jeff Gordon, Kevin Harvick, and Bad Brad hisself.

Vince Welch from ESPN joins the regular pit reporters for Xfinity and Truck races.

Trucks:
Booth- Steve Byrnes* (Mike Joy/Adam Alexander/Brian Till rotating interim), Phil Parsons, Michael Waltrip
Pits- Hermie Sadler, Kaitlyn Vincie/Vince Welch/Matt Yocum (rotating)

This one's detailed. Steve Byrnes will be the lead announcer on the CWTS broadcasts eventually. Unfortunately his cancer relapsed, so he's been fighting that and is nearing the end of treatment and his return is unknown. Until then, Joy, Alexander (who replaced Rick Allen last year), and sportscar pit reporter/PBP guy/former IndyCar driver Brian Till will take turns at the mic.

Hermie Sadler will be the only permanent pit reporter. Bob Dillner and Ray Dunlap are gone. Welch, Yocum, and NASCAR RaceHub cutie (and according to Boomer, knowledgeable host) Kaitlyn Vincie will tap in.

-
Sprint Cup:
Booth- Rick Allen, Jeff Burton, Steve Letarte
Pits- Dave Burns, Mike Massaro, Marty Snider, Kelli Stavast
Hosts- Krista Voda, Kyle Petty, Dale Jarrett (selected races)

Allen Bestwick said on the Awful Announcing podcast that he was offered the gig and declined because ESPN offered him a more diverse package of sports to work, including golf, tennis, basketball, football, and the Indy 500. So they picked up former CWTS PBP voice Rick Allen. Taking a new direction with color analysts, Jeff Burton and former Jeff Gordon/Dale Jr crew chief Steve Letarte will get the call. I heard these guys call the Toyota Gridiron Challenge which was a thing on TV last week and, to borrow a phrase from Benny Parsons on NBC..."not too good"...

Dave Burns and Mike Massaro come over from ESPN. Burns was on NBC the first time around, as was Marty Snider. Kelli Stavast used to do sports cars on SPEED & is an IndyCar pit reporter.

NBC's pre- and post-race hosts will be Krista Voda (ex-FOX), Kyle Petty, and the recently-added Dale Jarrett, who will work select races.

Xfinity B-team (non-companion events):
Booth- Leigh Diffey?
Pits- ?

NBCSN will need a B-team for a handful of non-companion Xfinity races in their half of the season. Where they go with this, nobody's said. I asked NBC's IndyCar/F1 voice Leigh Diffey on Twitter last fall if he'd be involved and he said it was possible, depending on schedule.
__
People from the last TV deal you won't see on either network- Allen Bestwick (ESPN :(), Rusty Wallace (MRN), Ricky Craven (ESPN), Dr. Jerry Punch (ESPN), Shannon Spake (ESPN), Brad Daugherty (ESPN), Nicole Briscoe (ESPN), Ralph Sheheen (Motocross on FS1).

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Did anyone see ESPN trying to promote/push "Cricket" the other day?

I don't see how they figure there's going to be an audience for this. This is not to say that there isn't, and that the game itself isn't perhaps interesting if you're a fan. But I kind of fail to see how it would be unappealing to not only Americans...but to even countries like Canada or other countries as well.

I understand why Soccer has a global appeal, and why it gets coverage. The game is very much translatable, and in fact a global phenomena. Stuff like the Premier League, World Cup, and UEFA? Definitely worthy of being promoted, and of being followed by anyone.

Cricket? I just don't see it being a "thing" over here.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Maybe they figure on a significant population of Indian and Pakistani-Americans who might be watching?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

FuzzySkinner posted:

I don't see how they figure there's going to be an audience for this. This is not to say that there isn't, and that the game itself isn't perhaps interesting if you're a fan. But I kind of fail to see how it would be unappealing to not only Americans...but to even countries like Canada or other countries as well.

I understand why Soccer has a global appeal, and why it gets coverage. The game is very much translatable, and in fact a global phenomena. Stuff like the Premier League, World Cup, and UEFA? Definitely worthy of being promoted, and of being followed by anyone.

cricket is a real thing why are you putting it in scare quotes

Also don't you regularly get mad at how networks treat stuff like indy racing that no one gives a poo poo about?

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

FuzzySkinner posted:

ESPN3 has a cricket package, that's why they were suddenly making everyone aware of it.

Also, cricket is awesome. Everyone should watch cricket.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I went to a tiny rear end D-III college between Columbus and Cleveland and there were big rear end cricket games on the quad almost every Saturday morning. If it can catch on there, it can catch on anywhere.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Alain Post posted:

Maybe they figure on a significant population of Indian and Pakistani-Americans who might be watching?

I mean, maybe.

I do have an Indian friend who does/did watch.

ESPN attempted to explain the rules with trying to compare it to baseball, and it was insanely difficult to follow.

It's just a bit of an odd sport to attempt to promote. I think they're trying to capture the "lightning in the bottle" in regards to what happened with soccer and millennials in recent years.

Deathlove posted:

ESPN3 has a cricket package, that's why they were suddenly making everyone aware of it.

Or that perhaps.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Twenty20 is bullshit, by the way

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.
I am ecstatic for ESPN to be promoting and broadcasting anything that's an actual sporting event. There are sports happening nearly literally 24 hours a day. I can see people talking anywhere.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

DJExile posted:

I went to a tiny rear end D-III college between Columbus and Cleveland and there were big rear end cricket games on the quad almost every Saturday morning. If it can catch on there, it can catch on anywhere.

Mt. Union?

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

As long as this thread is bumped, Fox and Telemundo already renewed their World Cup rights through 2026. And that's been raising red flags (but what else is new with FIFA):

http://awfulannouncing.com/2015/fifa-just-giving-fox-rights-2026-world-cup.html

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Hockles posted:

Mt. Union?

Close! Wooster

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 8 days!)

FuzzySkinner posted:

Cricket and Soccer were popular sports in America long before Indy Speedway was even built.

edit: Also Cricket owns and isn't hard to follow you donkus. If butchers from Brooklyn could figure it out 150 years ago I'm sure you can too.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

FuzzySkinner posted:

Well ESPN is a sports channel. It'll show many sports even if it's loving DOTA or Poker. Anything to see what catches on. You wonder why racing has left ESPN in recent years as they don't care about it, less people are caring about it, so why not try other sports and see if it sticks. Can't fault for trying.

e: Sports broadcasting related, what the hell is going on with MotorsTV coming here? I know it would run into many licensing problems with race series it has that is being shown on CBS Sports, NBCSN, MAVTV, and others so it might be delayed.

BMB5150 fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Feb 14, 2015

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

FuzzySkinner posted:

It's cheap, it's filler, it's got a decent fanbase. this is a network that's broadcast dogs jumping into water, magic the gathering, and billiards.

What more do you want? Indy car or some poo poo like that?

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates
ESPN can never regain my favor until they put Magic the Gathering back on at midnight on ESPN2

e: I wholeheartedly embrace all the following suggestions also.

Mornacale fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Feb 14, 2015

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Mornacale posted:

ESPN can never regain my favor until they put Worlds Strongest Man back on all the time on ESPN2

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Mornacale posted:

ESPN can never regain my favor until they put roller beach hockey back on at midnight on ESPN2

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Mornacale posted:

ESPN can never regain my favor until they put Lumberjack Games back on primetime on ESPN.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Mornacale posted:

ESPN can never regain my favor until they bring back Cheap Seats

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Bingo

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frogc00l:

he knows...
Scoffing at ESPN for marketing a niche sport is a weird thing to do when you blow a gasket when they don't market your niche sport.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

Peanut President posted:

Cricket and Soccer were popular sports in America long before Indy Speedway was even built.

edit: Also Cricket owns and isn't hard to follow you donkus. If butchers from Brooklyn could figure it out 150 years ago I'm sure you can too.

The first ever international cricket match was held in NYC between the US and Canada!

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 8 days!)

Bring back lumberjack games! Watching those dudes run up a tree trunk was loving incredible and takes way more athletic ability than "baseball".

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

Remember watching it so much in the early 00s. It owned even if I have rose tinted glasses on.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
cheap seats was painfully unfunny

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Mornacale posted:

ESPN can never regain my favor until they put Australian Rules Football back on the main channel like they did in the 1980s

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

ayn rand hand job posted:

It's cheap, it's filler, it's got a decent fanbase. this is a network that's broadcast dogs jumping into water, magic the gathering, and billiards.

What more do you want? Indy car or some poo poo like that?

FYI, their Cricket World Cup package is $99 and is not on ESPN3. It's not like it's airing on tv. I wish it was. Maybe during the next world cup it might happen since it's all primarily going to be late night airing for live tv anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wukkar
Nov 27, 2009
Bring back Playmakers.