Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

.Clash
Apr 10, 2009

Ak Gara posted:

Like, if Predator was an Asian film, it would star Gackt.

Wanna watch that movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Ak Gara posted:

If I remember right from the FF7 Let's Play thread, in Japan, androgynous slim males are considered "most manly" and huge muscle bound guys are considered the feminine ones. It's the complete reverse in the West where it's the other way round.

No idea if it's true or not.

Well since you can find examples of both those stereotypes here I'd imagine it'd be the same way for Japan, even if one or the other is more common. See rockstars in the 80s for pretty boy manly, or the bear stereotype for the other one.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

:eyepop:

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Genocyber posted:

Well since you can find examples of both those stereotypes here I'd imagine it'd be the same way for Japan, even if one or the other is more common. See rockstars in the 80s for pretty boy manly, or the bear stereotype for the other one.

Obligatory

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos
I'm gay now.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
The whole "muscles mean nothing" thing does come up a lot in Japanese media.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Ak Gara posted:

If I remember right from the FF7 Let's Play thread, in Japan, androgynous slim males are considered "most manly" and huge muscle bound guys are considered the feminine ones. It's the complete reverse in the West where it's the other way round.

No idea if it's true or not.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
Hey, I liked MrMcLargeHuge too, but he was a fussy guy obsessed with his personal appearance and beauty while the slender Colonel Mustard was the manly man who made Hard Choices to Get the Job Done, Protect his Country, and Avenge his Friends.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

"Today" is nearly ten years ago!

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

i am pro pretty anime boys, this is my stance on this controversial issue

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Mystic Mongol posted:

Hey, I liked MrMcLargeHuge too, but he was a fussy guy obsessed with his personal appearance and beauty while the slender Colonel Mustard was the manly man who made Hard Choices to Get the Job Done, Protect his Country, and Avenge his Friends.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
Its a oddly classic idea of irony that those who heavily embrace and get away with otherwise feminine traits are, in fact, the manliest of all for that exact reason. Its basically a matter of charisma - they have such confidence in and/or whilst being blatantly feminine that its overrides the supposed strike against their masculinity. I think its why you sometimes get extraordinarily camp and effeminate villains in Japanese series, because its seen as part of how confident (and from that, prideful and arrogant) they are.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

anime being full of a bunch of pavel petel's is p awesome honestly

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Astro Nut posted:

Its a oddly classic idea of irony that those who heavily embrace and get away with otherwise feminine traits are, in fact, the manliest of all for that exact reason. Its basically a matter of charisma - they have such confidence in and/or whilst being blatantly feminine that its overrides the supposed strike against their masculinity. I think its why you sometimes get extraordinarily camp and effeminate villains in Japanese series, because its seen as part of how confident (and from that, prideful and arrogant) they are.

And conversely, the idea of being a musclebound superman is seen as being insecure in your masculinity. This part isn't that uncommon in the west, either, similar to the stereotypes about dudes who buy big trucks or big guns.

Anyway, Speed of Sound Sonic (lol) is very pretty and cool.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Yasser Arafatwa posted:

anime being full of a bunch of pavel petel's is p awesome honestly

JJBA is the only manga that could match how fabulous he is

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

PaganGoatPants posted:

Sonic-Chan: Man or woman?

Wo-Man

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Re: An anime

Nobody here can say they don't want to see Chapter 17 and 18 turned into an anime

The glory of Genos going completely balls-out with Murata quality action, lasers and beams and super-speed rapid blinks and all kinds of crazy insane moves and then

*cheek squish* I win now!

Cue even MORE badass, crazy powering up, lightning coursing up and down his artificial arms, going completely insane with rapid machine-gun punches, dashing and dodging back and forth before Saitama's crazy death punch forehead flick

"C'mon I'm hungry, let's go eat udon"

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I only want an anime if everyone is animated with movie quality animation at all times, but Saitama is South Park level.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Aurain posted:

I only want an anime if everyone is animated with movie quality animation at all times, but Saitama is South Park level.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
Satima should be rendered in glorious Inferno Cop-o-vision, until it's an action scene.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Saitama should just be cutouts stapled to Popsicle sticks.

vkeios
May 7, 2007

SirDan3k posted:

Satima should be rendered in glorious Inferno Cop-o-vision, until it's an action scene.

nah, it'd be the opposite. He'd be amazingly animated with cape blowing in the wind and then when its time to fight, he's a 2d cutout punching a super detailed monster.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

vkeios posted:

nah, it'd be the opposite. He'd be amazingly animated with cape blowing in the wind and then when its time to fight, he's a 2d cutout punching a super detailed monster.

Or animated with the most amount of lazy time saving techniques.
"Serious series: Tweening punch."

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Animating Murata's version of OPM would be a mistake because it can never be good enough.

I would prefer an independent readaption of ONE's original using an entirely new artstyle for the anime. Ideally Masaaki Yuasa.

Tunahead
Mar 26, 2010

This week, on Onepunch-Man: Dudes get serious.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
what a tease

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The worst part about this series is how short each chapter is.

But they're so gorgeous it's hard to care.

dat rear end

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
SSS is about to die. :ohdear:

He even kept the weird eyes.

PaganGoatPants fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Feb 21, 2015

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

HOLY SHIT!

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away

Prison Warden posted:

HOLY SHIT!

I'll be the roundabout...

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

the face of death

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Anyone have a website that lets you read it and load all the pages at once? I'd rather just scroll through and go through a chapter instead of going next every single one.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe

RareAcumen posted:

Anyone have a website that lets you read it and load all the pages at once? I'd rather just scroll through and go through a chapter instead of going next every single one.

Kissmanga.com but they wont have it for a day or so.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Foul Ole Ron posted:

Kissmanga.com but they wont have it for a day or so.

I want to re-read it so that's fine with me.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!
I want absolutely nothing more than for Saitama to one-shot Speed of Sound Sonic with a Serious Series punch.

All of his buildup through the series through now, being a recurring character, faint hints he could pull a hero turn, all of it just blasted away in clean punch that Sonic doesn't even have the time to react to.

It should be the entire next chapter, just a single two-page spread.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

It is amazing, great, and humbling how Murata respects his source material.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

I want absolutely nothing more than for Saitama to one-shot Speed of Sound Sonic with a Serious Series punch.

All of his buildup through the series through now, being a recurring character, faint hints he could pull a hero turn, all of it just blasted away in clean punch that Sonic doesn't even have the time to react to.

It should be the entire next chapter, just a single two-page spread.

i don't think saitama would kill another human

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

I don't think saitama wants to paint his house red yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Rigged Death Trap posted:

I don't think saitama wants to paint his house red yet.

You mean he doesn't want to destroy the city.