Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Lostconfused posted:

Yes, that's why Setsuko's route in SRW Z is such a giant pain in the rear end. You have to deal with 3 boss characters with VPS Armor and only have a limited number of attacks that do beam damage. Hell, poo poo like the flying armor crash for Kamille's MKII doesn't count as a beam attack which makes things even more annoying.

It's not so bad once you start getting some supers that can punch through the armor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Caphi posted:

I'm pretty sure it's possible to put a Beam Coat on the Destiny, but did any boss in Z ever try that?

I believe it is in SRWJ where Yzak equips a Beam Coat on Duel Gundam actually.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Z was also I think the first game where Prevail became a incredibly skill again instead of just a decent bonus. Prevail 9 was probably by far the best skill you can give to anyone that can survive a big hit.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Tae posted:

Z was also I think the first game where Prevail became a incredibly skill again instead of just a decent bonus. Prevail 9 was probably by far the best skill you can give to anyone that can survive a big hit.

The mission where you have to beat up Rand and he just keeps taking less and less damage blew my mind when I played it, I'd never known Prevail was so good!

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
So, I was in a bit of a Gunbuster/Diebuster mood in part because Diebuster is showing up in Z3.2. I ended up coming across, amazingly, an English cover of Groovin Magic by someone who can actually sing. Its actually quite good.

ImpAtom posted:

I believe it is in SRWJ where Yzak equips a Beam Coat on Duel Gundam actually.

Also, I'm pretty sure Arthrun has the strongest anti-beam barrier in the game when you take him on for the final time in J. Of course, it seems there are quirks to the engine, and IIRC, moves like Photon Beam, which is a beam with out the (B) mark pierces both types of barrier.

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!

Gyra_Solune posted:

as far as I know girls never kiss in galilei donna nor dancougar nova

...actually they don't in iczer-3 either because it's secretly just dragonball z in disguise
Seimii and Aoi kiss in Dancouga Nova.

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体

WrightOfWay posted:

The Gravity Barriers that Nadesico units have in various games are more easily breached by moderately strong beams. In J Gravity Barriers cancel beam damage below 1500 and gravity attacks below 2500 and reduce all other attacks by 1000, for instance.

Funny enough, that means that beams and gravity attacks do more damage than other attacks if they pass the minimum damage, as beams/gravity don't actually get reduced. The animation for deflecting beams and gravity is neat though.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Of all the regularly appearing series in SRW, the one I understand the least is Gundam Wing. It just seems like no matter which games it's in, Alpha or Z or any side game, it's just one inexplicable thing after another. Characters fight against each other and immediately alongside each other again, for very unclear reasons. Also there's this whole absolute peace business that seems to come and go unrelated to anything else. Is the anime itself that way, or does SRW make it that way?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Every character in Gundam Wing is a bond villain

The proto Lacus Clyne of the series told giant robots to get off her lawn, she does not give a gently caress. No one gives a gently caress except Wu Fei, who gets punched in every SRW as a result.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I just finished a stage in Z2-2 that I hadn't done before. Quatre is in the Wing Zero and just blew up a colony for some reason, and Heero and Trowa appear in some weird MSs that I had never seen before or since, in this or any other game. I have orders to destroy Quatre, and Heero and Trowa are attacking him too, but they will also attack us for some reason. Also there's some other guys that I have no idea what the gently caress they want attacking all three of us. It's probably the most confusing stage I have ever seen in SRW.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Samurai Sanders posted:

Of all the regularly appearing series in SRW, the one I understand the least is Gundam Wing. It just seems like no matter which games it's in, Alpha or Z or any side game, it's just one inexplicable thing after another. Characters fight against each other and immediately alongside each other again, for very unclear reasons. Also there's this whole absolute peace business that seems to come and go unrelated to anything else. Is the anime itself that way, or does SRW make it that way?

The protagonists are very loosely connected at the start and had vague and conflicting goals for what was essentially retaliation for some politician's murder. Then most of them fall in with Zechs and Relena's pacifist kingdom and there's this long bit where everyone starts rambling about their who their "true enemy" might be and Richboy bin Gayharem goes nuts asking the targetting computer of the new Gundam who his enemy is and Wufei somehow triple crosses every faction and lives. Then the movie happens, Wufei switches sides 2 or 3 more times and Heero fails to kill himself for the dozenth time and everyone's convinced that putting down the latest petty rebellion will bring lasting peace or something..

Samurai Sanders posted:

I just finished a stage in Z2-2 that I hadn't done before. Quatre is in the Wing Zero and just blew up a colony for some reason, and Heero and Trowa appear in some weird MSs that I had never seen before or since, in this or any other game. I have orders to destroy Quatre, and Heero and Trowa are attacking him too, but they will also attack us for some reason. Also there's some other guys that I have no idea what the gently caress they want attacking all three of us. It's probably the most confusing stage I have ever seen in SRW.

Prototypes for the Virgo scary black energy shield and beam cannon MSes that show up near the end of the series. I forget exactly why those 2 were in them but I think they were prisoners at the time maybe but being made to test the new stuff because reasons. Quatre's out of his mind and the other 2 are working for OZ so of course they're supposed to fight you.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Feb 8, 2015

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Samurai Sanders posted:

That's from the middle of the series. Quatre built the Wing Zero as revenge for his father's death, but the Zero system basically makes all but two people in Wing universe crazy, because of information overload. Heero and Trowa are probably in the Mercuris/V8 which are proto units for the grunts you'll be facing later. I think they appeared in D at least.

It is accurate as the series, because Trowa and Heero are under forced orders to follow Oz and their mission is to neutralize Wing Zero.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

Samurai Sanders posted:

Is the anime itself that way, or does SRW make it that way?
Yes, Gundam Wing in its source material is pretty bugfuck insane as well.

You do kind of wonder how it ever became popular on Cartoon Network - you can't even really claim "just for the eye candy" because it's full of stock footage and animation hiccups.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Gundam Wing is the story about a war that is over in 10 episodes and soldiers trying to find what their purpose in life is now that the fighting is over. So for actually a good chunk of the show the Gundams aren't even there, or are blown up or in some other state of disrepair. The pilots are all lost and trying to figure out what the gently caress their purpose even is anymore. Except Wufei, who's pretty much got the one goal in mind and never loses it.

There's a director shift and a real plot shift but honestly, it's a pretty drat good concept if nothing else. I mean the freaking titular Gundam is blown up very early and then the protagonist rarely pilots it again. He spends more of the series in a variety of other suits and just trying to rationalize his place in the new world order.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Also, I'm still kind of shaky on what OZ is in the source material. Is it a militarized organization inside the Earth government like the Titans? Or the Earth government itself? Or something else entirely?

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Samurai Sanders posted:

Also, I'm still kind of shaky on what OZ is in the source material. Is it a militarized organization inside the Earth government like the Titans? Or the Earth government itself? Or something else entirely?

OZ is basically the Titans, except that they started as basically the military wing of the Illuminati, and then when the Illuminati took over they became closer to the actual Federation Titans.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

OZ(Organization of the Zodiac) was a special ops branch of the Federation Millitary with ties to the Romefeller Foundation, a rich group of autocrats that did the usual thing a rich group of autocrats do.

When Trieze became the head of OZ he eventually used it for stage a coup to take over the Federation.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
The core conflict of Gundam Wing is that an extremely well-dressed dude with weird eyebrows uses his Illuminati connections to take over the world, then gets into a mental battle against Peaceland, and then it turns out the well-dressed dude doesn't actually care so much about ruling anything as he does about fighting honorably in eternal battle.

Also, in the worst game of telephone ever, somebody called Pizza Hut and ordered a colony drop but instead got 7 indestructible killing machines piloted by 6 indestructible killing machines.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Davzz posted:

Yes, Gundam Wing in its source material is pretty bugfuck insane as well.

You do kind of wonder how it ever became popular on Cartoon Network - you can't even really claim "just for the eye candy" because it's full of stock footage and animation hiccups.
Action cartoons were really scarce at the time and the DBZ well was going temporarily dry too. Wing had mecha and that was a mostly new thing unless you were one of the few who had copies of Robotech on VHS.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
The best thing about Gundam Wing's politics is when some power-hungry duke decides to put Relena in place as a figurehead queen. She knows she's a figurehead but as cited above, she gives no fucks, so she starts going off on speeches about absolute pacifism and people start taking her seriously. Then the duke immediately backpedals and removes her from power again. But she still gives no fucks and has every bit as much of a death wish as any of the male protagonists.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Rascyc posted:

Action cartoons were really scarce at the time and the DBZ well was going temporarily dry too. Wing had mecha and that was a mostly new thing unless you were one of the few who had copies of Robotech on VHS.
Yeah, a lot of English speakers experienced Gundam for the first time via Wing, and it seems like a really loving weird place to start. I can't imagine how it colors your perceptions of other Gundam shows.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

here's another reason gundam wing got popular:

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I find the gundam wing popularity in the US hilarious because it's prettyboys: the gundam and that went completely over the heads of every 14 year old boy that was super into it at the time.

poo poo I watched a LOT of toonami back then and did not give much of a poo poo about wing. Ronin Warriors was MY prettyboys action show thank you.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Endorph posted:

here's another reason gundam wing got popular:

That's actually way fewer pages than I expected.

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yeah, a lot of English speakers experienced Gundam for the first time via Wing, and it seems like a really loving weird place to start. I can't imagine how it colors your perceptions of other Gundam shows.

It's insane and retarded, so it made it pretty easy to go on and watch the others imo. Wing is good poo poo.

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体
A lot of Gundam Wing popularity was self-insertion daydreaming, too. I had a friend who was super into it who totally wished he was Duo Maxwell.

Ironically I avoided it on Toonami because at the time I thought mecha was ridiculous. I wound up getting into Gundam and other mecha through Super Robot Wars for love of SRPGs. :v:

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
The first Gundam I can remember watching was 0079 (the movie versions) but that was after playing both SRWa1 and 2. I still haven't seen any of Gundam X, Victory, Wing, and a few others. However, the plot of those others is all so much clearer to me than Wing's, despite Wing being in so many SRW games.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Feb 8, 2015

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

maou shoujo posted:

I had a friend who was super into it who totally wished he was Duo Maxwell.

Wasn't named Matt, was he? Maybe Duo just had some weird effect on teenagers though.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I remember loving Wing and 0079 when they were on Toonami. Child me was pretty upset that they took 0079 out of the afternoon slot after 9/11.

I loved myself some giant robots. Which is probably why SRW sounded like the greatest game ever when I first heard of it.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Ethiser posted:

Child me was pretty upset that they took 0079 out of the afternoon slot after 9/11.
Wow, seriously? Are colony crashes too much like airplanes flying into buildings, or something?

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体

Light Gun Man posted:

Wasn't named Matt, was he? Maybe Duo just had some weird effect on teenagers though.

Nope, I'm thinking of a guy named Jeffrey.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

The Mercurius and Vayeate also show up in Alpha. I remember being surprised at seeing them in the final OZ stage, their only showing for me since I hadn't followed any of the Wing routes.

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost

GimmickMan posted:

The Mercurius and Vayeate also show up in Alpha. I remember being surprised at seeing them in the final OZ stage, their only showing for me since I hadn't followed any of the Wing routes.

I actually love the how the mercurius and vayeate were used as a prototype proof of concept for the mass produced virgo. The only other time I have ever seen the mass produced unit out preform the prototype in a gundam show was qubeley mkII mp in ZZ.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

Samurai Sanders posted:

The first Gundam I can remember watching was 0079 (the movie versions) but that was after playing both SRWa1 and 2. I still haven't seen any of Gundam X, Victory, Wing, and a few others. However, the plot of those others is all so much clearer to me than Wing's, despite Wing being in so many SRW games.

I think most Gundam plots boil down to "go there, shoot that." The interesting stuff is character drama. Wing bucks the trend by being super Nineties, so there's no driving plot because, like, we're trying to get through this thing called life, or whatever.

Also the Gundams have a shade of G's silliness without being obvious about it.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Samurai Sanders posted:

Wow, seriously? Are colony crashes too much like airplanes flying into buildings, or something?

The rumor I heard was that it was just used as an excuse because 0079 wasn't doing to well in the ratings.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Samurai Sanders posted:

A lot of shows were altered immediately after 9/11 due to war tones or having some plot related to the air industry. Anime and content produced outside the US didn't have that luxury. Cartoon Network selectively pulled out episodes from various series that were airing at the time like Cowboy Bebop whereas 0079 got pulled after airing one episode and seeing that only like 2 people in the US were watching it. They canned it afterwards and tried to re-air it years later but it was dead by that point. 0079 just had nothing to offer over Gundam Wing in the west, kids didn't care about the whole War Subplot they just wanted some loving Robots and maybe a surrogate for Goku.

Anyway http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_entertainment_affected_by_the_September_11_attacks is always worth a read if you weren't around at the time. Even series like Pokemon and Power Rangers couldn't escape. Dang I didn't realize Transformers got so ripped up too.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Rascyc posted:

Anyway http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_entertainment_affected_by_the_September_11_attacks is always worth a read if you weren't around at the time. Even series like Pokemon and Power Rangers couldn't escape. Dang I didn't realize Transformers got so ripped up too.
Wow. The terrorists did indeed win.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Rascyc posted:

A lot of shows were altered immediately after 9/11 due to war tones or having some plot related to the air industry. Anime and content produced outside the US didn't have that luxury. Cartoon Network selectively pulled out episodes from various series that were airing at the time like Cowboy Bebop whereas 0079 got pulled after airing one episode and seeing that only like 2 people in the US were watching it. They canned it afterwards and tried to re-air it years later but it was dead by that point. 0079 just had nothing to offer over Gundam Wing in the west, kids didn't care about the whole War Subplot they just wanted some loving Robots and maybe a surrogate for Goku.

I think the reason 0079 didn't do too well here had more to do with it having incredibly dated animation, if Bandai/Sunrise had wanted Universal Century Gundam to do well in the states, they should have just aired the Movie Trilogy a couple times then air Zeta Gundam, but even that plan has quite a few flaws to it, to be frank Universal Century never really had a chance in the states, as all of the TV series for it have at least one massive flaw to them that makes them unsuitable for US television, so that leaves only the OVAs and the movies which aren't enough, but then most of the AU series outside G and Wing have similar issues so Gundam was kinda screwed no matter what

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Oh hey we are in the wing phase of the thread cycle? Guess I'll just go with the usual and link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGl8Yq1EaX8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Lostconfused posted:

Oh hey we are in the wing phase of the thread cycle? Guess I'll just go with the usual and link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGl8Yq1EaX8
You seemed to have linked the wrong video. Here's the correct one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5H4q_OaLqLc

drrockso20 posted:

I think the reason 0079 didn't do too well here had more to do with it having incredibly dated animation, if Bandai/Sunrise had wanted Universal Century Gundam to do well in the states, they should have just aired the Movie Trilogy a couple times then air Zeta Gundam, but even that plan has quite a few flaws to it, to be frank Universal Century never really had a chance in the states, as all of the TV series for it have at least one massive flaw to them that makes them unsuitable for US television, so that leaves only the OVAs and the movies which aren't enough, but then most of the AU series outside G and Wing have similar issues so Gundam was kinda screwed no matter what
The dated animation was one reason, however I have heard other rumors. The rumors I've heard point to Bandai dropping a load of money on Williams Street's lawn in order to get 0079 on the air because it was the first Gundam series and Bandai felt that people should be exposed to it. Unfortunately, it didn't do so well, and had the added effect of supposedly influencing what would air on Toonami up until its initial demise, because hey, if a big animation studio is going to go out of their way to pay you to show their stuff, surely others will do the same, right? Nope, very few were willing to do so.

Although, I never understood why 0083 had like, one initial run then about two or three re-runs before being removed completely and Gundam never appearing on the Adult Swim block until they threw Endless Waltz or CCA on as a special night randomly. Same for 0080 on the Toonami Midnight Run experiment. I'm guessing they too were victims of the aforementioned 9/11 edits.

• Locked thread