Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

WickedHate posted:

I read Last Stand last year, so I'm totally good there.

Read it again, it's that good. He lays some groundwork for a future story in MTMTE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

More than Meets the Eye and Robots in Disguise being the names of the 2 comics is pretty funny.

Maybe they can start a bad guy comic called The Evil Forces of the Decepticons.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Aphrodite posted:

More than Meets the Eye and Robots in Disguise being the names of the 2 comics is pretty funny.

Maybe they can start a bad guy comic called The Evil Forces of the Decepticons.

They had to drop the RID from the series because of the impending new TV series. If ratings are decent IDW will be launching an All-Ages TF:RID comic similar to the TMNT book.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Are those TMNT comics based on the new show any good? I like the show, for the record.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lurdiak posted:

Are those TMNT comics based on the new show any good? I like the show, for the record.

Surprisingly good.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

This is an odd one, but can someone summarize Superior Foes of Spider Man 15-17 for me? I have up to 14 but have changed my budgeting around so I'm not buying nearly as many comics any more, so i realize I'll probably never finish getting that series. You can spoiler text it if you want.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Scaramouche posted:

This is an odd one, but can someone summarize Superior Foes of Spider Man 15-17 for me? I have up to 14 but have changed my budgeting around so I'm not buying nearly as many comics any more, so i realize I'll probably never finish getting that series. You can spoiler text it if you want.

You can probably just get Marvel Unlimited since you're so far behind.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
That recent Vertigo Quarterly CMYK series: was it a one off thing or are they planning on continuing it year after year?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Uthor posted:

That recent Vertigo Quarterly CMYK series: was it a one off thing or are they planning on continuing it year after year?

About a year before CMYK they were doing anthologies under old DC titles like Time Warp and Ghosts, so they'd probably do another series in some form.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Teenage Fansub posted:

About a year before CMYK they were doing anthologies under old DC titles like Time Warp and Ghosts, so they'd probably do another series in some form.

Strange Sports Stories is next I believe.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Oh yeah! I'm super excited for that.

xK1
Dec 1, 2003

Rhyno posted:

Strange Sports Stories is next I believe.

Strange Sports Stories is something else, also an anthology but monthly. The next quarterly one is SFX: http://www.vertigocomics.com/comics/vertigo-quarterly-2014/vertigo-quarterly-sfx-1

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
This may be a tall order but here goes: about 4-5 years ago or so, I ran across a comic cover (either Robin or Teen Titans) that, if memory serves, had Robin holding some sort of blade with the visage of (I think) Deathstroke being reflected off of it. Is anyone out there able to find this?

:ninja: edit: I think it may have been set in a graveyard.

Edit: scratch that, I found it: Nightwing vs Shrike

Ghostpilot fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Feb 15, 2015

EverettLO
Jul 2, 2007
I'm a lurker no more

I'm looking for two one-shot horror-ish comic stories that may have come out around 2007-2011 that I read and can't recall the names.

The first was about a demonic apocalypse. The main character was a guitarist who inadvertently played a song was a key to summoning the demons, along with an artist who created a new color and two or three other signs. The rest of it was mainly an excuse for some really decent art of demons rampaging around the earth while the heroes tried vainly to escape. In the end the guitarist is given a new guitar to play for the demons. I want to say it was from a South American artist, but I may be wrong on that.

The other was vaguely sci-fi. It was about aliens that lived on a planet in our solar system and kept it hidden by noticing when someone on earth detected them, and then moving in to kill the offending human. In the end the main character looks at them, so they come after him, and he activates some device that disintegrates everything in the area. I don't think it was set in the future, and may even have been in the past.

Anything would be better than I've been able to find on my own.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
A buddy who is new to comics asked me about good/landmark LGBT focused or friendly books. That's a bit out of my knowledge base, so what should I recommend?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Quickest couple of things I could think of:

Greg Rucka's Batwoman: Elegy.
Sandman had an arc revolving around the tenants of a building that included a lesbian couple and a transgender person.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Feb 20, 2015

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Strangers in Paradise.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

Mr. Maltose posted:

A buddy who is new to comics asked me about good/landmark LGBT focused or friendly books. That's a bit out of my knowledge base, so what should I recommend?

Fun Home.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Mr. Maltose posted:

It's a little more focused on modern books, but someone asked this recently and got a lot of good recommendations.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3611169&pagenumber=36&perpage=40#post441266590

Love and Rockets: Locas if they're into rock and roll (and punk rock). Warning, it takes a little to get going after a pretty lack luster SciFi opening story arc, but has been amazing for 30 years after that.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Inkspot posted:

Strangers in Paradise.

This.

Alison Bechdel's Dykes To Watch Out For (lesbian focused sitcom/slice-of-life soap opera), and her memoir comics Fun Home and Are You My Mother?

Stuck Rubber Baby (gay man coming of age in the South during the Civil Rights Movement)

There's a ton of cape books, but it seems like even among queer creators, girl/girl is way more popular than male gay/bi/queer characters, if that's what your friend's interested in reading about? The X-Men franchise is always a good bet. Young Avengers, obviously. Kieron Gillen and Terry Moore seem to be pretty good at making an effort in this regard. So're Gail Simone and Marc Andreyko. There's some content in Empowered, but that book's not for everyone, obviously.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Teenage Fansub posted:

Greg Rucka's Batwoman: Elegy.

Similarly, Half a Life in Gotham Central (also by Rucka).

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Y: The Last Man has some decent LGBT characters. Depending on your taste, there's also Hothead Paisan: Adventures of a Homicidal Lesbian Terrorist. Alan Moore's books usually have some queer folks in them but in the big, well-known stuff they're often dead or seriously oppressed.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

idonotlikepeas posted:

Y: The Last Man has some decent LGBT characters. Depending on your taste, there's also Hothead Paisan: Adventures of a Homicidal Lesbian Terrorist. Alan Moore's books usually have some queer folks in them but in the big, well-known stuff they're often dead or seriously oppressed.

If that side of things doesn't bother them, though, Top Ten has some good stuff, especially the prequel.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Watchmen had some really progressive stuff about gay people in it considering it was published in 85, back when saying "homos" was considered a punchline in most standup routines. But yeah, bad things happen to most of them.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Promethea has a few front-and-center same-sex relationships in it, too, as well as an arguably transgendered person. (Two, now that I think of it.)

Oh, shouldn't forget Warren Ellis. The Authority has a gay couple as lead superheroes, too.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Lurdiak posted:

Watchmen had some really progressive stuff about gay people in it considering it was published in 85, back when saying "homos" was considered a punchline in most standup routines. But yeah, bad things happen to most of them.

To be fair, no one in Watchmen really gets a happy ending.

idonotlikepeas posted:

Oh, shouldn't forget Warren Ellis. The Authority has a gay couple as lead superheroes, too.

Hell yeah. Along with Ellis' run, volume 2 and Revolution are both great depictations of a gay family. Everything else is skippable. In general. I mean, Millar's run has a few cool moments, but really, those three bits are the only time the Authority was good. And I like the Authority, they just had a too many terrible runs.

WickedHate fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Feb 20, 2015

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Mr. Maltose posted:

Both incarnations of Young Avengers are good, but the Gillen/McKelvie one in particular. That run has seven main characters. One of them is straight.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CapnAndy posted:

Both incarnations of Young Avengers are good, but the Gillen/McKelvie one in particular. That run has seven main characters. One of them is straight.

Kate, Loki, No-Varr.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rhyno posted:

Kate, Loki, No-Varr.

Loki isn't straight.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Wait, I thought Speed was the straight one? (I guarantee if you ask Morrison, he'd say Noh-Varr isn't confined by gender or species.)

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Gaz-L posted:

Wait, I thought Speed was the straight one? (I guarantee if you ask Morrison, he'd say Noh-Varr isn't confined by gender or species.)

Speed isn't part of the team, he's in it for 1 issue then disappears until the end. And you're probably right about Noh-Varr.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

In recent non superhero stuff, Lumberjanes and Rat Queens has some pretty :3: queer content. (Rat Queens also has the usual guts come out stuff for a sword and sorcery book)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Oh, tangentially related, the current Rat Queens artist (the Croatian guy that did a ton of Witchblade, not the domestic abuser), has a pretty decent lesbian romance/erotica webcomic that he touched up and had put out in print by Image recently: Link

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Kate, Loki, No-Varr.

I am 101% certain No-varr is bi.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Noh-Varr is half insect, so any pairing with him is bestiality.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Rhyno posted:

Kate, Loki, No-Varr.

Noh-varr is bi and Loki's sexual history is both complicated and available in all the best mythology books.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I like that that statement has now caused us to argue that no-one in that book is straight.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Kate's not that straight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

SynthOrange posted:

Noh-Varr is half insect, so any pairing with him is bestiality.

That's pretty speciest dude
You're denying his ability to consent to a meaningful relationship simply because he's not a pure hominid
It's like you've never even heard of intersectionality