Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

ExplodingSims posted:

:captainpop:

So they built an engine entirely out of vacuum lines and wire?

Do you see?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Disappointed there's only one turbo gauge :colbert:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Event Horizon references are always a good sign in a 13" thread.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

As a spectator my week is off to an outstanding start :allears:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I have faith! :sweatdrop:

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
Well drat. I think a manual one would be more fun if it would ever run.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
The fear isn't that it will run.

It's that it won't stop.

:getin:

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Liquid Communism posted:

it won't stop.

:getin:

She won't let you.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

88h88 posted:

Watch this be a really easy fix and be the most reliable car 13's ever had...

This is what I want to see. I think it would be awesome.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

CharlesM posted:

This is what I want to see. I think it would be awesome.

Remember, 13 very nearly killed a beige Corolla.

It's possible that 13 has an eerie psychic power. Broken cars become fixed, and fixed cars become broken. The Civic is smaller than a single wavelength of his horrible power, so it avoids the worst of it.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
You're actually buying a Maserati Biturbo? what the gently caress is wrong with you

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

StandardVC10 posted:

You're actually buying a Maserati Biturbo? what the gently caress is wrong with you
Motherfucker, haven't you read the thread? There isn't a list that can contain what is wrong.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Remember, 13 very nearly killed a beige Corolla.

It's possible that 13 has an eerie psychic power. Broken cars become fixed, and fixed cars become broken. The Civic is smaller than a single wavelength of his horrible power, so it avoids the worst of it.

Not quite, explain the cop car and the froot truck deux.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

StandardVC10 posted:

Can't be any worse than pulling a nearly 60 year old VW out of a field to rebuild like I did.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

veedubfreak posted:

Can't be any worse than pulling a nearly 60 year old VW out of a field to rebuild like I did.

Lowered Expectations actually ran, though

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
I forgot you had a crown vic, why did you get rid of that anyway?
RWD fords are pretty cool in the fact even when half shagged it's usually still a comfortable place to sit and can get up to highways speeds OK.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Fo3 posted:

RWD fords are pretty cool in the fact even when half shagged it's usually still a comfortable place to sit and can get up to highways speeds OK.

It ran too well, I believe.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
I love you subrandom 13inch. Will you marry me? In the club? We can make babies, they have technologies where two dudes' sperm can make one baby, yo.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Fo3 posted:

It's literally the OP of this thread. :v:

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

I don't know, Biturbos can be pretty reliable once you replace the entire powertrain, suspension, brakes, all of the electrics and the window seals. Then, when the body and frame rusts away in a few weeks you'll still have all those shiny new parts!

e: Just once I want a Craigslist ad to say "Ran when built in 1985, I think" instead of "ran when parked"

redgubbinz fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Feb 9, 2015

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

You have to get this as atonement for getting a non-cvcc civic.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

OFFICER 13 INCH posted:

It's literally the OP of this thread. :v:
Yeah, I haven't read the first page for while. But still asking why?

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Fo3 posted:

Yeah, I haven't read the first page for while. But still asking why?

OFFICER 13 INCH posted:

I for one enjoy the sublime feeling of carefully placing one's scrotum in a door jam and then flinging it shut as hard as I can manage. I repeat this process over and over until finally the sweet darkness takes me and I can no longer feel anything at all. (...) The Crown Vic was plain, reliable, a work horse. It was the Frau Bleucher in my stable, the one you know you can count on. But it's not what I need. Deep down inside, I know that I need someone to spit on me, make me bleed and cry, and to treat me like the emotional tampon I know I truly am.
Like, that's literally it. Reliable cars are boring when you're the type who wants something that's awful and breaks all the time.
I found harmony by getting a boring reliable car to get to work and just keep my maochism to a side project, but I'm a pussy. 13" goes all in on the concept.
(though I am looking at having the Kia as my sole mode of transport for a few months, so I guess I'm getting a little ballsier?)

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Feb 9, 2015

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
I don't want to talk him out of the bi-turbo, and this is AI after all and it would be spectacular. But seriously, for a loving honda?
For 20 years even when I drove myself crazy with 12As, 12ATs, 13B extend ports and 13B bridgeports, I kept a ford around to go get groceries when everything else didn't work.
e: Actually I didn't get ford that until I was 27 and I only bought it for a cross continent trip, before that I daily drove a 13B bridgeport or a 12AT on a 30mi daily commute (through the middle of nowhere from the city to an air force base)
Having one modern car as sole transport isn't ballsy, it's all about the wrecks and partially complete projects in your driveway though I know 13" doesn't have have that option as it's all street parking or road repairs.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Feb 9, 2015

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
This is the best thread.

Shine on you crazy diamond.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I suppose I could always try to play the two biturbos off of eachoter and pick them both up if the price is right

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
So buy two Biturbos and a big pile of spares? That might let you build one working one before it kills you.

I actually think that this may work out well for you, simply because of the amount of effort AI will put into keeping you owning a Biturbo.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Fo3 posted:

Having one modern car as sole transport isn't ballsy, it's all about the wrecks and partially complete projects in your driveway though I know 13" doesn't have have that option as it's all street parking or road repairs.

An AL Sportage is a mashup of '70s Mazda engineering, '80s Rover engineering and some stuff a Korean guy scribbled on the back of a beer mat one time. It is made of the most corrosion-prone metals and brittle plastics known to man and the example I bought was previously owned by a flat-brim-cap-wearing teenager in the most road-salt-prone region of North America. It has been on fire twice because of the inherent flaws of the lovely electrical system, and those surprisingly weren't caused by the PO's hacking of that system in the name of siiick bass. The rear springs have been replaced with Jeep TJ coils from a junkyard, the body mount bushings are boat trailer keel roller end caps and the rear axle is designed in such a way that it has a chance of randomly locking up one or both rear wheels at any time with no notice. The locking front hubs are vacuum-operated and are designed such that if a wheel seal fails a large amount of the grease that is supposed to lubricate the front wheel bearings ends up sucked inside the engine (assuming the vacuum lines don't fail first). I haven't removed a single chassis fastener that didn't require heating it to critical temp and the larger fasteners still warranted use of a 3/4" impact to remove even after heating. The engine and transmission fasteners do not generally require heating since the Kia implementation of the FE3N leaks oil at a rate only matched by Rovers and Detroit 2-strokes. The oversized tires and the lack of any meaningful torque from the engine mean that it will not operate in 5th gear, thus it is limited to 90km/h on the highway- not that it's anything but terrifying at even that speed thanks to the haphazard front end modifications required to lift it and the knowledge that this car scored the lowest crash test ratings in its class, since the structural design of the body is copied from the 1st gen Ford Festiva but with some elements removed to adapt it to a ladder frame chassis from unibody.

So no, I wouldn't compare my Kia to a modern car.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
OK, cool, tl:dr. I just didn't know anyone bought old KIAs so I assumed a newer one when anyone mentions them.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Yeah that was way tldr/spergy but it's tough to describe the 'quirks' of these things in just a few words.
And yeah nobody buys these things ever. I watch the kijiji listings on them so I know what's going to be at the local junkyard in a few weeks.
But I'll stop this stupid derail now.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Have you bought it yet?

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
As soon as the tax refund clears, got that poo poo electronically filed and direct deposit linked. Its gonna happen.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

OFFICER 13 INCH posted:

As soon as the tax refund clears, got that poo poo electronically filed and direct deposit linked. Its gonna happen.

Are you keeping the honda?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

nm posted:

Are you keeping the honda?

He can get a bus pass.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Honda is definitely staying no questions asked.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

OFFICER 13 INCH posted:

Honda is definitely staying no questions asked.
But once the Maser's running, you're sending the Civic to Doogle for an engine swap, yeah?

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

OFFICER 13 INCH posted:

I suppose I could always try to play the two biturbos off of eachoter and pick them both up if the price is right

if you get three you have a greater chance of getting one running, hell, go for four. biturbos work like voltron right?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
By our powers combined, we take the form of a functioning water pump.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

InitialDave posted:

But once the Maser's running, you're sending the Civic to Doogle for an engine swap, yeah?

Reread this, find the problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
:woop: :siren: I'm your (Bi)Turbo Lover :siren: :woop:

It's happening omg omg omg. :dance:

Linked song has a lot in common with Biturbo ownership since they're both about guys getting hosed in the rear end

• Locked thread