Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

It turns out that I'm a 2015 PC master race aryan at home but a subhuman pleb at work. "Woah!" -Neo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Jamfrost posted:

How about that Assassin's Creed: Rogue? I hear it's better than Raven's Cry.

The Assassins Creed game from last year, that's has everything that was missing from last year's OTHER installment.

Boats! Modern day storyline! Shanties*! I'm excited. :dance:

*Half truth, Unity featured a ton of French Revolution-era folk songs, they just happened to only be present at the various cafe's around the city and were easily missable. :(

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

poptart_fairy posted:

Just play the new Thief as the new Thief. Don't get caught up in nostalgia, pining for something the game isn't.

The worst part about the new Thief is when they try to put references to past games in there. At least before I could pretend that nobody played the old games, but it seems that they have and they still made... that.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

BE BRAAAVE MOTHERFUCKERS

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
http://www.greenmangaming.com/s/ca/en/pc/games/adventure/about-love-hate-and-other-ones/

Dunno if anyone had this on their wishlist, but it's on for a randomly huge discount. Probably means not a lot of people bought it. :smith:

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Okay, so here's an opinion from someone who has barely played the old thief games and holds no nostalgia for them. thief 4 is real bad, don't play it.

This. I tend to find PC games of that age impenetrable for one reason or another so I've never played the originals. Having downloaded the game from PS+ myself with some amount of cautious optimism, I just don't think I could've possibly been more disappointed. Besides the absolutely horrendous sound design that the devs should be fired for (blaring music, detection sound effects that are just so obtuse that it distracts you from the fact that you did something people could hear, subtitle timing being so off that it's a massive distraction) the game is just so linear it's unsatisfying. Jumping is a context sensitive action that manages to single handedly kill any desire to actually explore. There's no room for creativity when getting through the levels. In fact unless you take the "No Alerts" option in custom difficulty (which is about the only thing I applaud the game for), there's seldom any reason not to just run from Point A to Point B like you're playing Mirror's Edge.

tl;dr I am a person with little experience with stealth games who got the game for $0 and feels ripped off. Do not play with any inkling that you might have fun. Do not pay any amount of money for this game.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

This is what I'll most remember about Thief 4: a game about stealth and choosing your own path

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYVPanz37m4&t=1965s

Squeenix should have just begged Ubisoft for the Assassins Creed license since thats the game they clearly wanted to make

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
All I remember about Th4if is that a guard started talking about cock rings, glitched out, and kept repeating his dialogue.
Rest was boring or dumb and not in the funny way.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Thief's actual sneaking sections were fun imo. But the boss battles and stuff were frustrating enough to block out the good parts of the game.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Escape sequences in games are so loving bad.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Yodzilla posted:

I personally like them. The cinematic for the bridge one was cool.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Yodzilla posted:

Actually, they're great, assuming the rest of the game isn't poo poo. Especially the ones in metroid games.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Trick Question posted:

Actually, they're great, assuming the rest of the game isn't poo poo. Especially the ones in metroid games.

This guy knows what's up,

I guess my dream thief game is all the neat gadgets but instead of a dumb story or campaign I just want to rob lots and lots of places. I think that you could probably level that complaint at the older games as well

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Oh my, first the Hitman weekend and now Death to Spies: Gold :swoon:

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

wtf browsers are you guys using that one gif causes such an uproar

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Acquire Currency! posted:

I guess my dream thief game is all the neat gadgets but instead of a dumb story or campaign I just want to rob lots and lots of places. I think that you could probably level that complaint at the older games as well

So your dream thief game is The Dark Mod?

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer
Jagged Alliance : Flashback is on sale. Can anyone weigh in on an opinion with this, for a fan of JA2?

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

Innerguard posted:

Jagged Alliance : Flashback is on sale. Can anyone weigh in on an opinion with this, for a fan of JA2?

I might sound a bit sour since I Kickstarted that thing at full price...
It shouldn't have been released, it's held together by string and tape. Even as an Xcom clone it's really dull and everything feels half-done. There's apparently this one guy, Shanga, who is making mods to make it feel like an actual finished game that's a pretty slow turnover.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Trick Question posted:

I remember hiding from Sa-X in Metroid Fusion being pretty intense.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Teslagrad for 2.50, holy poo poo, buy that.

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

Acquire Currency! posted:

You can do this in most elder scrolls games though replace gadgets with spells to summon a zombie or whatever

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

X-Blades has trading cards now and they look as bad as the game.

Oh, and Death to Spies 1&2 are on sale for all your stealthy Nazi shanking needs.

SelenicMartian fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Feb 9, 2015

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Just started Human Revolution Directors Cut. Last time I played the game was on the PS3. Mouse and Keyboard controls are much nicer, and have made what few fights I've been in much easier (trying to ghost+non-lethal my way through the game). Reworked Barret fight is much better, in my opinion. Having to chuck explosive barrels at him was a giant pain in the rear end, being able to go to an upper area and snipe at him makes the fight bearable.

Looking forward to the rest of the game, and a New Game+ feature? Excellent.

I've also noticed that I've got a lot more cash and experience than I remember being available. I've got 5 praxis sitting unused and I've already got level 5 hacking, full hacking stealth, jumpy legs, wall-punch, one level of extended inventory, and gas-proof lungs. Just got to the Hive in Hengsha, been doing all the sidequests up to this point. Not complaining, it just seems... easier.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Justin_Brett posted:

Teslagrad for 2.50, holy poo poo, buy that.

Is it yet another braid/the bridge/nihilumbra-type slow boring indie puzzle platformer?

Speaking of indie platformers, is Super Panda Adventures any good? The floating damage numbers/xp bar are kind of putting me off.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
It's a lot more fast-paced than Nihilumbra, I'd say, and harder (leaving out Nihilumbra's bonus levels anyway). There's a demo for it, and an LP by Smite you could look at.

Justin_Brett fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Feb 9, 2015

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

what gif were you guys talking about, i don't see anything

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

kewpuh edited it out

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

RickVoid posted:

I've also noticed that I've got a lot more cash and experience than I remember being available. I've got 5 praxis sitting unused and I've already got level 5 hacking, full hacking stealth, jumpy legs, wall-punch, one level of extended inventory, and gas-proof lungs. Just got to the Hive in Hengsha, been doing all the sidequests up to this point. Not complaining, it just seems... easier.

This might not be why it feels easier but it might be why you have more money (though I'm not sure this is actually the case since its been a while) but I think the Director's Cut starts you with 20,000 credits or something which was one of those dumb pre-order bonuses for some retailer when it the original version as released. That's more than enough to buy all the Praxis kits in the stores at the start, a bunch of weapons/weapon upgrades/ammo/etc, and have plenty left over once you reach China.

Kuule hain nussivan
Nov 27, 2008

Trick Question posted:

So, are these any good? Because the thing sounds amazing.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

RickVoid posted:

Just started Human Revolution Directors Cut. Last time I played the game was on the PS3. Mouse and Keyboard controls are much nicer, and have made what few fights I've been in much easier (trying to ghost+non-lethal my way through the game). Reworked Barret fight is much better, in my opinion. Having to chuck explosive barrels at him was a giant pain in the rear end, being able to go to an upper area and snipe at him makes the fight bearable.

Looking forward to the rest of the game, and a New Game+ feature? Excellent.

If I were to guess, a lot of that is just you being better at being sneaky (possibly helped by how easier it is to control on PC) the second time around. The amount of extra XP you get for being non-lethal is staggering, and that becomes self-reinforcing since more XP = more Praxis = more abilities = more and easier ways to gain XP. Also, wile I don't remember the bonus cash mentioned above, going crazy with hacking also means you will have cash coming out of your ears in short order, especially in the cases when you can just go after the security node.

Now, if you want a challenge, try going for the Factory Zero achievement once you get to the reintegrated DLC. :D

Tippis fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Feb 9, 2015

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Kuule hain nussivan posted:

So, are these any good? Because the thing sounds amazing.

I know at least a few of them are really good. Still fan-made creations, though, so set your expectations appropriately.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Trick Question posted:

Is it yet another braid/the bridge/nihilumbra-type slow boring indie puzzle platformer?

Speaking of indie platformers, is Super Panda Adventures any good? The floating damage numbers/xp bar are kind of putting me off.
Teslagrad is kind of slow, you have magnet powers and you are exploring a tower. It looks like a Metroidvania but it really isn't, it's pretty darn linear. It's alright.

Super Panda Adventures is great. You can swing your sword as fast as you can hit the button, ala Y's. Unlike Teslagrad, SPA is an actual Metroidvania, and despite looking like a reject Apogee game, has really solid mechanics, upgrades, and perks.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
So is Road Redemption still light on content? Anything major recently, or scheduled for sometime soon?

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Trick Question posted:

Metroid is an exception I'll give you this.

I just hate stuff that's supposed to be tense and cinematic but everything about how the sequence is constructed destroys that feeling. Too hard and it's frustrating and you're doing the same thing over and over again. Too linear and safe and it's boring as hell.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Trick Question posted:

Yes pretty much

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

Morter posted:

So is Road Redemption still light on content? Anything major recently, or scheduled for sometime soon?

I don't know if Road Redemption would ever be a game with "heavy" content, but mostly the fixes in the last month or so have been tweaking what's already there. There are a couple of elements of some stages, like the cars dropping from the sky or enemies throwing pipe bombs, that were kind of bullshit and they've been trying to address things like that while bug fixing.

I've already beaten the game twice in the "normal" mode but have yet to make it through the campaign+ or whatever it is mode, which is even more randomly set up. I think, apart from a handful of issues, it's pretty fun. I wish the "level up" system (after you die, you spend your xp earned on skills and things to make your next time through easier) felt like it had more impact in the game, although after a point the game did seem a little easier to get through.

If you're still not convinced at this point, I'd just hold off. I picked it up because I love racing games with combat, and I think it does the arcade racing/fighting pretty well. It's still rough around the edges, but in the time since I got the game (the week of Christmas), I had performance issues that the devs greatly improved after another patch or two, so they're still making progress.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Any thoughts on the 10-years-in-development-land-shark-alien-murder-simulator Interstellar Marines?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

looool

hahahaha

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Feb 9, 2015

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Deakul posted:

Any thoughts on the 10-years-in-development-land-shark-alien-murder-simulator Interstellar Marines?

Its Rainbow Six in space with the dna of Swat 4s atmosphere and spooky flashlights. The Co-op missions that are currently in the game are fun but have only one enemy type. On the other hand they just released the co-op stuff in september and have been doing a good job monthly adding more. Soon they are having a sort of Hell Week simulation were teams explore a giant map and scour for ammo and such. Its Fun as hell 4 player but not enough content for 20 bucks. But if this is just the tip of what they have planned (barring catastrophic problems) this is going to beat Swat 4 for my friends and me and scratch that System Shock 2 itch no one is scratching.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I'm sure this question has been asked dozens of times, but I'm just now getting around to playing The Wolf Among Us (just finished Episode 2) and I'm really enjoying it. It's the first Telltale game I've played, I had Walking Dead on PS3 but I'm not really in to zombies, I also have Sam & Max but I can't get in to traditional adventure games.

if I want to play another after I finish all 5 episodes of Wolf Among Us, which would be recommended if none are drawing me in based on the IP? I tried to like Walking Dead but I can't even feign interest for zombie things anymore. Game of Thrones, Borderlands, Jurassic Park, Back to the Future and Monkey Island are all things that don't particularly excite me but that I wouldn't hate, either. Hell, even the Law & Order one might be cool if it's a good game, I'm a sucker for detective noir which is what got me to play Wolf Among Us.

I never liked adventure games before, so I never followed any discussion on which of these games are better than the others.

• Locked thread