Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Forer
Jan 18, 2010

"How do I get rid of these nasty roaches?!"

Easy, just burn your house down.

Shoehead posted:

I don't even know what I'm doing..

Easy. Making an experimental dodgeball game that looks really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012

Forer posted:

Easy. Making an experimental dodgeball game that looks really good.

Dodge ball... for one. :smith:

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Bel Monte posted:

Dodge ball... for one. :smith:

I broke collision like 26 times

Tann
Apr 1, 2009

That last bounce is a bit suspect! Looking cool though.

retro sexual
Mar 14, 2005
We won a prize! Most Promising In Development from the Indie Prize at Casual Connect in Amsterdam last week. This is our first time to win something like this so it's pretty cool. Other than that there were 120 indie games being showcased so it was really cool meeting some devs working on some very interesting games. The rest of the show was incredibly businessy and basically not relevant to me (just mobile publishers and ad networks and the like). Worth the trip though!

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.
Nice! Congrats. Now deliver on that promise, will ya?

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
Congrats! You definitely earned it.

Tac Dibar
Apr 7, 2009

Wow, congrats!

We're planning to add a female fireman to our game. Which one do you think is best?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Oh precious katana posted:

Wow, congrats!

We're planning to add a female fireman to our game. Which one do you think is best?

Definitely the first two. The last two are like borderline offensive. I guess you're going for like a caricature / cartoony thing, but that 3rd one looks like the grinch's bimbo sister and the 4th one looks dumb and constipated.

The first two look dorky but in an okay way. (They're supposed to be kinda dorky firemen, right?)

I do really love your old school animation look though, that is like some straight Loony Tunes stuff.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
I know you're going for a sort of Hanna-Barbera look, but I think it could be fun if you made your lady firefighters also super burly. Have you ever seen a firefighter chick before? They are goddamn built.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Picking from those four, definitely one of the first two, for the reasons Zaphod42 gave. I do think the basic body type you've chosen here is not great though, because it's clearly sexualized and nothing else in your game is. There's plenty of cartoony female body types to pick from that'd match the rest of your game's style just fine.

Aren't the proportions for this one kind of off compared to the others anyway? I mean, your protagonist is something like 2.5-3 heads tall, and the woman here is more like 4.

Tac Dibar
Apr 7, 2009

Haha, thanks. Yeah, all of that is true. I personally like the first two best, because they have the most simplified features, which I think will carry over better when they are smaller on the screen. We'll see what our art guy says. "What's wrong with being sexy?", maybe.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Does this track sound like something that would be playing while making your character in a first-person dungeon crawler?

https://soundcloud.com/dungeondivergames/title-character-generation

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Depends on how involved/lengthy the character creation is, I think.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Trick Question posted:

Depends on how involved/lengthy the character creation is, I think.

I'd say somewhere in between Wizardry and Darklands. So there's lots of stuff to fiddle with.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
A few of the string chords in there sound a bit wonky - for example, 1:09-1:11, 1:18, 1:36, 1:45... sounds like one of the instruments is off on its first note of every 4 bar progression.

This all depends on the mood of your game, but I actually really, really liked the first 15 seconds, and it might work better if you just played around with solo piano like that - performed live with a midi keyboard so you're not as tied to a fixed tempo, with some general dungeon ambiance and good reverb behind it all, maybe one or two strings as accompaniment but brought way down. Although that would give it a much darker vibe, and if you're going for a more light fantasy thing then nevermind!

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Polo-Rican posted:

A few of the string chords in there sound a bit wonky - for example, 1:09-1:11, 1:18, 1:36, 1:45... sounds like one of the instruments is off on its first note of every 4 bar progression.

This all depends on the mood of your game, but I actually really, really liked the first 15 seconds, and it might work better if you just played around with solo piano like that - performed live with a midi keyboard so you're not as tied to a fixed tempo, with some general dungeon ambiance and good reverb behind it all, maybe one or two strings as accompaniment but brought way down. Although that would give it a much darker vibe, and if you're going for a more light fantasy thing then nevermind!

I don't know how I missed such obvious dissonance while I was isolating instruments. It doesn't sound *too* bad with the rest of the instruments covering but I isolated the strings then the trumpets/oboes and I was like what the gently caress. Thanks man, that might have gone unnoticed forever.

The intro is definitely 100% being reprised and expanded on in one of the dungeons' tracks. I don't know if I'll have access to a proper keyboard; all the tech I have is LMMS and a solid creative commons soundfont set.

NeonCowboy
Oct 9, 2009

I see y'all flashing, diamond, dancing, shining /
Keep your head up

Planet of the Eyes

Hey everybody! Our new game just launched on Steam Greenlight today, hope you'll check it out and give it an upvote if you think it looks good:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=330150140

We have a great team working on it. I wrote the script, and this is the first game I've written since putting out Actual Sunlight a few years back. Audio is being done by John Black of Cypher Audio, whose handiwork you might recognize from the trailer for this years' Game Awards, and the folks at Cococucumber have put together a beautiful retro-sci-fi style with some great vector animation / programming / stuff-I-don't-really-understand-but-which-looks-great.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
I don't know how international your audience is, but the first few notes of your piano theme are identical to the most basic, widest-known folk melody in the German culture ("Alle meine Entchen").

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.

Oh precious katana posted:

Haha, thanks. Yeah, all of that is true. I personally like the first two best, because they have the most simplified features, which I think will carry over better when they are smaller on the screen. We'll see what our art guy says. "What's wrong with being sexy?", maybe.

Your artist is clearly going for a 50s toons feel, so sexualized is good, 'cause that's how women were depicted back then. I mean yours are far less explicitly sexy than the norm back then.

Sometimes being PC will go against the feel of your game. Not to derail into anything - I do agree we could drop the hyper-sexualization in the games already, but not 'cause I find it offensive. First of all, in this day and age's ease of access to sex-related media, having it imbued into games seems superfluous and excessive.. and dumb. I mean getting off on polygons and cartoos always seemed off to me. But really, it's the lack of variety. I am so sick and tired of having every god damned female character sport a 34 double D. It's idiotic. It's not even offensive, it's just lazy. Even if you're going for sexy, you DON'T have to have 2 nuclear god damned sylos on a woman's chest to emphasize that.

Just my 2 cents.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
This seems like a good time to announce my video game adaptation of Coal Black and de Sebben Dwarfs.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Mr Underhill posted:

Your artist is clearly going for a 50s toons feel, so sexualized is good, 'cause that's how women were depicted back then.

Just my 2 cents.

:goonsay:

Tummyache
Oct 30, 2013

"Disapproval"

NeonCowboy posted:

Planet of the Eyes

Hey everybody! Our new game just launched on Steam Greenlight today, hope you'll check it out and give it an upvote if you think it looks good:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=330150140

We have a great team working on it. I wrote the script, and this is the first game I've written since putting out Actual Sunlight a few years back. Audio is being done by John Black of Cypher Audio, whose handiwork you might recognize from the trailer for this years' Game Awards, and the folks at Cococucumber have put together a beautiful retro-sci-fi style with some great vector animation / programming / stuff-I-don't-really-understand-but-which-looks-great.

I don't like to give pity votes. Luckily I don't have to because this looks pretty god damned cool.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I still don't know why I made this game..

Stuck in two player controls and really over the top goal celebration, I need some way to tackle in there too, but I'm running out of buttons!

Plus I added a cute little bounce bubble to make the platforming easier.

Next time I get a shot at it I'll try making a bigger arena, it's super cramped atm.

edit: Oh I forgot to mention I made it so that the ball changes colour as you charge up your shots, it looks pretty nice

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Congratulations on your #IDARB clone. :v:

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

xzzy posted:

Congratulations on your #IDARB clone. :v:

IDARB is so cool!

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.

Meet Jeff.

Jeffs run animation looks weird and I can't work out why. Its been ages since I did anything like this and since work has settled I feel like starting again. I've only gone 4 frames, but something feels chunky and off.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
I can see what you're trying to do with his arms but it just makes it look like he's clapping.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

tehsid posted:

Meet Jeff.

Jeffs run animation looks weird and I can't work out why. Its been ages since I did anything like this and since work has settled I feel like starting again. I've only gone 4 frames, but something feels chunky and off.

Make the body drop by one pixel during both of the step frames, rather than just one. Also, make the forward leg's movement start from the hip, rather than the knee.

E: If you can manage it, make the character bend into the movement slightly. Think of the character like an actor, make him oversell the motion.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Mr Underhill posted:

I do agree we could drop the hyper-sexualization in the games already, but not 'cause I find it offensive.

jesus christ

Tac Dibar
Apr 7, 2009

Where can I study to become a Hyper-sexualisator?

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.

Fish Noise posted:

I can see what you're trying to do with his arms but it just makes it look like he's clapping.
drat it, now I can't unsee that. hah.

Somfin posted:

Make the body drop by one pixel during both of the step frames, rather than just one. Also, make the forward leg's movement start from the hip, rather than the knee.

E: If you can manage it, make the character bend into the movement slightly. Think of the character like an actor, make him oversell the motion.

Alright, I'll have a crack at that tomorrow, the legs are bugging me the worse though. Its as if he's skipping.

Thanks guys.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

RE: those character designs and not shitposting about it, I don't really like the 50s aesthetic, but I guess I can see where those designs came from. In fact I think that sort of pinup stuff is part of why I don't like the style in the first place. The banner on your website has the same stuff going on:

I guess what I'm saying is that I don't like those character designs at all but that might actually be a problem fundamental to that aesthetic. I'm not suggesting you change the entire art style now but there might not really be a complete solution to this problem, leaving them out might just damage the aesthetic and you have to live with that. But bottom line I wouldn't put those designs in the game under any circumstances. You're free to disagree, but my gut reaction is that they're in bad enough taste that you should think long and hard before going through with them

edit: welp I'm dumb I thought the examples that other guy posted were yours for some reason. People already said the first two of your four looked fine, I agree, though I think what I wrote is still relevant. The four you gave are much better than those other ones at least

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Feb 10, 2015

Tac Dibar
Apr 7, 2009

icantfindaname posted:

RE: those character designs and not shitposting about it, I don't really like the 50s aesthetic, but I guess I can see where those designs came from. In fact I think that sort of pinup stuff is part of why I don't like the style in the first place. The banner on your website has the same stuff going on:

I guess what I'm saying is that I don't like those character designs at all but that might actually be a problem fundamental to that aesthetic. I'm not suggesting you change the entire art style now but there might not really be a complete solution to this problem, leaving them out might just damage the aesthetic and you have to live with that. But bottom line I wouldn't put those designs in the game under any circumstances. You're free to disagree, but my gut reaction is that they're in bad enough taste that you should think long and hard before going through with them

edit: welp I'm dumb I thought the examples that other guy posted were yours for some reason. People already said the first two of your four looked fine, I agree, though I think what I wrote is still relevant. The four you gave are much better than those other ones at least

Our art guy is really into the 50s pinup aesthetic, but I think he restrained himself for the firewomen I posted, and just tried to make them cute and funny-looking. Also, the arms will be covered and so on. We will probably go with either of the first two.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

I like how the first one is just an exact copy of the second one and you even missed coloring over the ear

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Your art guy should play around with the Hana barbara/50s style rather than almost copying it wholesale. It's a dated look but one still worth exploring, there's a lot of fun to be had there.

To reiterate another poster, try making the female firefighter as a bulkier woman with the same aesthetic, more muscular and filled out. You might wind up liking the way it looks.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Manslaughter posted:

I like how the first one is just an exact copy of the second one and you even missed coloring over the ear

Yeah rough concepts are pretty rough as it turns out

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Manslaughter posted:

Welcome to game dev!

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

ZenVulgarity posted:

To reiterate another poster, try making the female firefighter as a bulkier woman with the same aesthetic, more muscular and filled out. You might wind up liking the way it looks.
This. Using a style doesn't mean you've got to copy the historical context verbatim. I'm pretty sure you can find a Hanna Barbera-style female character that wasn't a waif - they at least dropped into it for jokes from time to time.

... though really I don't think either of the first two characters is that bad. You just hear the "I like to draw pretty women ok!" excuse from a lot of Jr Artists, and if you can nudge them around it, their work improves.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Feb 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Make the strongest, fastest firefighters the women and make them built like Rosie :colbert:

zolthorg fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Feb 10, 2015