Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe
http://www.wired.com/2015/02/ross-ulbricht-didnt-create-silk-roads-dread-pirate-roberts-guy/

if this is true then ulbricht - while being 100% guilty of everything he was charged with - was also kind of telling the truth about being set up to be the patsy. he didn't even come up with the name "dread pirate roberts" himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

alan turing standing next to his bitbombe asic

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Greyhawk posted:

alan turing standing next to his bitbombe asic

Stupid movie didn't cover the TRUE history displayed in Cryptonomicon! And god drat did that book suck. I was expecting fanfictiony stupid Mary Sue stuff with glimmers of interesting moments after reading Snow Crash, but that stupid book was about 8 times as long as it should have been and goes on and on about such petty bullshit. But it's got :allears:THE VAULT:allears: and its magical digital currency which even in the book was used illegally, so of course it's probably one of the butter bibles

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

Sentient Data posted:

Stupid movie didn't cover the TRUE history displayed in Cryptonomicon! And god drat did that book suck. I was expecting fanfictiony stupid Mary Sue stuff with glimmers of interesting moments after reading Snow Crash, but that stupid book was about 8 times as long as it should have been and goes on and on about such petty bullshit. But it's got :allears:THE VAULT:allears: and its magical digital currency which even in the book was used illegally, so of course it's probably one of the butter bibles

if you read stephenson books as him hating and ridiculing his audience they are much better

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

JamesieAB posted:

Mining Bitcoin with Excel!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZBZPOEVyJA

He's just demoing the sha256 hashing algorithm used in bitcoin mining, my head hurts.
"Bitcoin mining uses two rounds of SHA-256 to convert the original message into the output. The one catch is that the original Bitcoin message is too long, so it actually takes two rounds of SHA-256 to convert the original message, and then one additional round of SHA-256 on the output of the first two rounds for a total of three rounds."

how the gently caress can a xxx-byte message be too long for a hash algorithm

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Sentient Data posted:

my favorite part was the two pages dedicated to how to eat captain crunch without hating your life quite as much.

i actually mostly like stephenson, but good god he cannot write an ending

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

shadok posted:

http://www.wired.com/2015/02/ross-ulbricht-didnt-create-silk-roads-dread-pirate-roberts-guy/

if this is true then ulbricht - while being 100% guilty of everything he was charged with - was also kind of telling the truth about being set up to be the patsy. he didn't even come up with the name "dread pirate roberts" himself.

my only desire in life is for mark karpeles to be variety jones

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

Sentient Data posted:

if you just read the wwii parts and ignore all the bratty rear end in a top hat modern parts it gets about 10x better

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

"

how the gently caress can a xxx-byte message be too long for a hash algorithm

Because you're doing it in excel

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
so some random came to the defence of quickbt

i'm guessing he's a friend or some poo poo

also i tweeted this too, but amazon doesn't keep anything but the last 4-digits and a hash value that they share between themselves and the payment processor that is otherwise useless

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

also amazon does refunds

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Tiny Bug Child posted:

b. the best way to store an amount of money is to use a decimal column in mysql. then when you pull it out you don't need to worry about the type, because caring about types is for people who use garbage languages that don't handle that nonsense for you

this is legitimately good advice

the problem is that i imagine p-lang language bindings will gently caress you over and return the sql decimal as floating point. (but java handles it correctly)

Heresiarch posted:

quick, does 0.0 === nul or not

don't look it up

numeric columns aren't nullable in any other database, either

what's your point

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

OSI bean dip posted:

also i tweeted this too
Yay, I helped spawn more public drama! :peanut:

computer toucher
Jan 8, 2012

surebet posted:

some legit funny stuff in there

terrible codec, look at those crushed blacks.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the problem is that i imagine p-lang language bindings will gently caress you over and return the sql decimal as floating point. (but java handles it correctly)

numeric columns aren't nullable in any other database, either

what's your point

PHP will return it as string , which you then cast to a floating point and gently caress up.

Found this entry when looking up terrible p-lang awfulness

http://php.net/manual/en/book.trader.php :pwn:

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

shadok posted:

eh he wasn't set up at all, what that's saying is that he had a number 2 guy that hasn't been caught who came up with the whole dread pirate roberts thing as a way to cover up how astoundingly stupid ross was about all his links to the creation of silk road

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

'hey boss you should call yourself the mariachi!'

'ok'

*goes by that name for a few years and committing crime under that name*

'youre under arrest 'the mariachi''

'i was tricked!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!'

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Greyhawk posted:

if you read stephenson books as him hating and ridiculing his audience they are much better
Snow Crash was definitely satire but I think at some point he started getting high on his own supply, I got through Diamond Age and Cryptonomicon but that three-part doorstopper about Issac Newton searching for magic gold or whatever the gently caress broke me

Rick Ross Ulbricht posted:

yes, miners, the paragons of rational self-interest
The hilarious part is that they are, and that's why they're becoming so centralized, because centralization works and decentralization doesn't

bitcoiners' highest ideals, when put into practice, betray themselves

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

CapnAndy posted:

Snow Crash was definitely satire but I think at some point he started getting high on his own supply, I got through Diamond Age and Cryptonomicon but that three-part doorstopper about Issac Newton searching for magic gold or whatever the gently caress broke me
i really liked the baroque cycle, honestly, though it burned be out on him for a long time. it probably should have been abridged to just one doorstopper instead of three, though. reamde was super meh, though

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror

Heresiarch posted:

look at you caring about types, i thought your language handled that

i don't, i use strict equals like twice a year if that. you're the one that popped the obscure trivia question

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

yeah but as long as you stick it in the database as a decimal all the weird floating-point poo poo will get truncated away and you probably won't screw around with it in php enough to make the weird poo poo happen

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

Endless Mike posted:

my favorite part was the two pages dedicated to how to eat captain crunch without hating your life quite as much.

This is what killed me on him after snow crash, I really liked it up until about the last quarter when poo poo just derails and you get old man guido ripping off his pants to fight mega death Inuit.

According to the author's blurb in the book, he said it was meant to be a graphic novel, but the project fell through, so he just shat out an ending to finish the script and welp.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Greyhawk posted:

i read like part of his last one about the mmo but i was more interested in the "designing a fantasy world" parts of it and not in the rest so i stopped once those parts stopped four chapters in that's my story about stephenson

Deacon of Delicious
Aug 20, 2007

I bet the twist ending is Dracula's dick-babies

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

what's your point

how is this not obvious

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

This is what killed me on him after snow crash, I really liked it up until about the last quarter when poo poo just derails and you get old man guido ripping off his pants to fight mega death Inuit.

According to the author's blurb in the book, he said it was meant to be a graphic novel, but the project fell through, so he just shat out an ending to finish the script and welp.
Awww, you missed how in Diamond Age the ending hinges on the main character being gratuitously gang-raped

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

computer toucher posted:

terrible codec, look at those crushed blacks.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc
i liked cryptonomicon a lot, but the WW2 parts were way better than the modern day parts

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Endless Mike posted:

on the other hand, he likes to write about a character getting a happy ending

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utvl3Js6jeQ

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
fuuuuck all coiners

I get free electricity.... (self.Bitcoin)
soumis 13 minutes ago par Austinswill
Hey everyone... I get free electricity at night and I was thinking about the possibility of doing some more Bit-coin mining...
What I would be interested in is a rig that has a high has rate but efficiency doesn't matter. Maybe the two are mutually exclusive, IDK, that is what I am trying to find out.
I would love to find a high hash rate machine that nobody would run because it burns more $ in electricity than it generates in BTC.
any Ideas?

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

unpacked robinhood posted:

fuuuuck all coiners

got theirs?

Tipps
Apr 18, 2006

party in the front

business in the back

Sentient Data posted:

I liked the setting of the pacific theater of ww2 since, growing up in Canada, you only ever learn about the European side. v:shobon:v

How to write like Neal Stephenson:

1) Press Random Article on Wikipedia
2) Write 4-5 chapters where a character repeats wikipedia page verbatim as part of the narrative
3) Write 2-3 wacky chapters about cap'n crunch, toilet paper pools, fictional video game languages' use of apostrophes, etc.
4) Write ending where the climax is 2 lines long and involves the villain dying unceremoniously
5) Masturbate furiously

unpacked robinhood posted:

fuuuuck all coiners

I get free electricity.... (self.Bitcoin)
soumis 13 minutes ago par Austinswill
Hey everyone... I get free electricity at night and I was thinking about the possibility of doing some more Bit-coin mining...
What I would be interested in is a rig that has a high has rate but efficiency doesn't matter. Maybe the two are mutually exclusive, IDK, that is what I am trying to find out.
I would love to find a high hash rate machine that nobody would run because it burns more $ in electricity than it generates in BTC.
any Ideas?

ie: I got a job doing the overnight shift at 7/11 and can plug in a miner in the back room during my shift. Pls advise.

Rick Ross Ulbricht
Feb 3, 2010

put yourself in the shoes of a prosecutor trying to build a case against you. what evidence could they pin on you? there is nothing on your laptop for them to use, if you obscure your bitcoins propperly, there is no way for them to trace them back to me.

CapnAndy posted:

The hilarious part is that they are, and that's why they're becoming so centralized, because centralization works and decentralization doesn't

bitcoiners' highest ideals, when put into practice, betray themselves

Cryptonomicon was entertaining, Anathem was good, but basically everything Stephenson has written that I've read has made me cringe.

With respect to the miners I was thinking of the guys who are mining at a loss because they love bitcoin that much

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender
https://bitcoinprivacy.net/index.php/distribution.html

There are 4754776 addresses with more than -2 bitcoins, totalling 13821889 bitcoins, 100% of all bitcoins.

There are 4343750 addresses with more than 0 bitcoins, totalling 13821889 bitcoins, 100% of all bitcoins.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

OSI bean dip posted:

https://bitcoinprivacy.net/index.php/distribution.html

There are 4754776 addresses with more than -2 bitcoins, totalling 13821889 bitcoins, 100% of all bitcoins.

There are 4343750 addresses with more than 0 bitcoins, totalling 13821889 bitcoins, 100% of all bitcoins.

I thought this was an error, but it just means there are 400k address with 0 bitcoins, since it's "more than" instead of "more than or equal to"

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

theflyingorc posted:

I thought this was an error, but it just means there are 400k address with 0 bitcoins, since it's "more than" instead of "more than or equal to"

it's kind of a huge rounding error then

Stephen
Feb 6, 2004

Stoned

Rick Ross Ulbricht posted:

Cryptonomicon was entertaining, Anathem was good, but basically everything Stephenson has written that I've read has made me cringe.

With respect to the miners I was thinking of the guys who are mining at a loss because they love bitcoin that much

My coworker goes on about these books and made them sound quite interesting, but he's also a bitcoiner, so I'm pretty torn. Are they pretty much bitcoin fantasy novels or something?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Stephen posted:

My coworker goes on about these books and made them sound quite interesting, but he's also a bitcoiner, so I'm pretty torn. Are they pretty much bitcoin fantasy novels or something?

they're like atlas shrugged but for technolibertarians instead of the regular kind

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Stephen posted:

cryptonomicon is literally about a bunch of cypherpunks building an alternative financial system while being harassed by men with guns

I don't know about anathem, I quit stephenson a short way into quicksilver

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick Ross Ulbricht
Feb 3, 2010

put yourself in the shoes of a prosecutor trying to build a case against you. what evidence could they pin on you? there is nothing on your laptop for them to use, if you obscure your bitcoins propperly, there is no way for them to trace them back to me.

Stephen posted:

not really. some all of them are odes to the superiority of the white male techno nerd, others are actually decent reads

e: anathem is the only one i really, really enjoyed. after i first read neuromancer some years ago i looked for anything like it and found snow crash which i guess was cool too. literally everything else i've read by him i would either suggest only with caveats or would recommend to stay away from. diamond age is particularly bad although the vision of the future that it provides is pretty cool

Rick Ross Ulbricht fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Feb 10, 2015

• Locked thread