Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

pentyne posted:

WILTY has become increasingly hilarious as David Mitchell is slowly losing his mind and abandons all attempts at pretence and Lee Mack is just given nothing but implausible premises and does his best to make it funny while it's blatantly obvious that no one believes it.

ftfy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
Would I Lie to You is still funny and has made me realise how much I like Rhod Gilbert.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

XMNN posted:

Would I Lie to You is still funny and has made me realise how much I like Rhod Gilbert.

His relatively short-lived panel show "Ask Rhod Gilbert" was fun.

And I also think that Would I Lie To You is still great. But I'm a sucker for BBC panel shows in general, both radio and TV.

(Speaking of radio panel shows, I hope that Don't Make Me Laugh and Britain vs the World both get additional series.)

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Rhod Gilbert's done a bunch of radio comedy panel type things, but they mainly revolve around him, Greg Davis and Lloyd Langford bickering with each other.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

WeAreTheRomans posted:

How many of these Cucumber/Banana/"gay lads talking about bumming for hours" shows are happening on E4/C4? I'm not outraged or anything it just seems to take up a lot of the midweek schedule, and I don't find them particularly entertaining.
On actual tv there's two back to back on Thursday night. I don't see how that's "a lot of the midweek schedule."

Have you watched them? They're very entertaining.

Sue Perkins wrote this past week's Banana, it was a self-contained story about a lesbian relationship. It was pretty charming.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

goatface posted:

Rhod Gilbert's done a bunch of radio comedy panel type things, but they mainly revolve around him, Greg Davis and Lloyd Langford bickering with each other.
Yeah, I listened to Jest A Minute or something 'cos it was on iPlayer and it was pretty much that. Not that I'm complaining, really.

I didn't find Vic Reeves very funny on 8 out of 10 Cats Countdown this week, I think all his jokes felt pretty forced/flat.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Akuma posted:

On actual tv there's two back to back on Thursday night. I don't see how that's "a lot of the midweek schedule."

Have you watched them? They're very entertaining.

Sue Perkins wrote this past week's Banana, it was a self-contained story about a lesbian relationship. It was pretty charming.

I'm not just looking to have a homophobic rant or anything, I just watched a few episodes in a row, and was under the impression they were on multiple times per week. I don't know why on earth you would think I would bother talking about them if I hadn't see them, but no I thought they were utterly crap. Sue Perkins' involvement makes sense then

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

I don't much care for the attitude of filthy money-lenders

Answers Me posted:

I normally love the guest skits during Weekly Wipe, but that Russell Brand parody was just painfully unfunny.

It was a struggle to get through and even find the point of. Russell's 'The Trews' does a lot of the Newswipe style comedypolitical stuff, but better, and with great frequency, so it came across as a jealous attack.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

WeAreTheRomans posted:

I'm not just looking to have a homophobic rant or anything, I just watched a few episodes in a row, and was under the impression they were on multiple times per week. I don't know why on earth you would think I would bother talking about them if I hadn't see them, but no I thought they were utterly crap. Sue Perkins' involvement makes sense then

something about protesting too much

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Cerv posted:

something about protesting too much

No, I really do dislike Sue Perkins

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Is this the part when one is required to confess their sexual desires toward Sue Perkins?

Don't really see the appeal of Cucumber/Banana/Tofu either, by the way, but it's not the worst piece of television currently on.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
A few days later and I'm still laughing at the Guardian TV writer who got paid to write that no comedy is actually funny, you're just tricked into laughing and in this day and age, no one likes to be tricked. I'm not sure what kind of dead-inside person you have to be to believe that.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches
I liked the first episodes of Cucumber and Banana but theyve both dipped since.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

The Big Taff Man posted:

I liked the first episodes of Cucumber and Banana but theyve both dipped since.
I see what you did there!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

DrVenkman posted:

A few days later and I'm still laughing at the Guardian TV writer who got paid to write that no comedy is actually funny, you're just tricked into laughing and in this day and age, no one likes to be tricked. I'm not sure what kind of dead-inside person you have to be to believe that.

Eh, I watch a lot of comedy and I've thought about this sometimes. That a lot of shows I watch not because I'm laughing, but because they're comfortable, easy watches and you're just guided from one situation you've seen a million times into another, knowing exactly how it's going to end with a few predictable giggles. I don't think this applies to maybe the top 10% of sitcoms, but probably the vast majority. Especially in the UK, where there's just so little effort going on these days that the only reason I don't think they're all written by robots is the fact it takes an entire year to poo poo out 6 crappy episodes.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

DrVenkman posted:

Was that the Better Call Saul review? I saw a weird headline and then didn't click because basically everything the graun sez is crap.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

DrVenkman posted:

Pretty rubbish post without a link.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"

Comrade Fakename posted:

Pretty rubbish post without a link.

Better Call Saul: ‘Like all the best comedies, it doesn’t make you laugh’

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

The enemy has become a flaming star!

I don't really understand why anyone who has even a basic understanding of the concept of irony is making a fuss about this.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
So I've been watching through misfits on Netflix, up to the first episode of series 3. Imdb tells me that Nathan isn't coming back and I don't know if I want to watch it anymore. The episodic nature and the Heroes-esque direction of the over arching plot meant I was flagging anyway. Should I continue?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

The Perfect Element posted:

So I've been watching through misfits on Netflix, up to the first episode of series 3. Imdb tells me that Nathan isn't coming back and I don't know if I want to watch it anymore. The episodic nature and the Heroes-esque direction of the over arching plot meant I was flagging anyway. Should I continue?

Yes.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

The character who replaces him is arguably funnier and certainly more interesting to boot. Regardless, series 3 is probably the best of the bunch.

Bloodbath
Apr 10, 2005

GRIM AND FROSTBITTEN KINGDOMS

Everyone missed Nathan and everyone thought the same and then his replacement came along and the show becomes even better IMO, give new Nathan a chance :)

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
"Asylum" started last night on BBC 4. It's about a guy who leaked CIA documents to the press and is now held up in "El Rico's" embassy in London with the police ready to arrest him if he leaves.

It seems that the BBC need to relearn that satire is not just a sitcom based on real world events as a premise.

(It's not very good)

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches

Nathan was my favourite character and then his replacement came along and while some called him a Nathan lite I think he was a much more rounded character.

Series 4 is a bit ropey but stick with it because Series 5 features the best power ever.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Real shame Limmy has been cut from weekly wipe. He's way better than some of the contributors who stayed.

Also, why is Broadchurch 2 getting slated so hard. I'm loving every episode.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
I thought broadchurch was rubbish the first time round, so I'm glad I'm not being made to watch the second go.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

ThomasPaine posted:

Real shame Limmy has been cut from weekly wipe. He's way better than some of the contributors who stayed.

Best Weekly Wipe line up would be Limmy, David Firth, and Barry Shitpeas.
Get rid of the red hair Pheolema Crunk or whatever her name is.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches

happyhippy posted:

Best Weekly Wipe line up would be Limmy, David Firth, and Barry Shitpeas.
Get rid of the red hair Pheolema Crunk or whatever her name is.

Brooker writes all her stuff. As he does with Shitpeas

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I've never found any of the Weekly Wipe characters funny. Nowadays I just skip them and only watch the Brooker bits.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Shitpeas is good, for some reason cunk just rubs me the wrong way.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

NaDy posted:

Shitpeas is good, for some reason cunk just rubs me the wrong way.

Yeah, I guess shes meant to be the social media follower stereotype, whereas Shitpeas is the TV follower.
Shitpeas always gets the concept wrong most of the time, so is funny. Whereas Crunk tries to be clueless on topics, and fails.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Cunk's great and Moments of Wonder is a fantastic parody.

Also, northern accents on the BBC gently caress yeah.

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

You've gone through at the back
Tim Key was the best IMO.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Al2001 posted:

Tim Key was the best IMO.
Agreed.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
His poems didn't even rhyme!

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

happyhippy posted:

His poems didn't even rhyme!

Horrible man.

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
Australia will be in this years Eurovision

It's just for this year (unless they win), they go direct to the grand final, they will be allowed to vote.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Who wants to watch Eurovision in the morning?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

goatface posted:

Who wants to watch Eurovision

:barf: