Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh wow I had forgotten about those

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

It's kinda funny that the series is called Metroid and they're usually at the center of the plot as some kind of ultimate energy weapon but they're always some underwhelming midtier enemy.

Bobnumerotres posted:

i just aim for the belly and fire charged plasma shots and he goes down after a while, dont even have to stun him. its 100x easier in the wii version thanks to free aim

The waveburster (is that what it's called?) owns the poo poo out of him.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Tender Bender posted:

It's kinda funny that the series is called Metroid and they're usually at the center of the plot as some kind of ultimate energy weapon but they're always some underwhelming midtier enemy.

The waveburster (is that what it's called?) owns the poo poo out of him.

Yeah, the underwhelming midtier enemy METROID PRIME that is the final boss of every Prime game....get real, bozo.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

the introduction for metroids in prime 1 is pretty great, in prime 3 it is epic and eerie as gently caress.

prime 2 is just kind of like "lol oh no theres metroids..dont worry tho"

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tbf most of the metroids you deal with are barely hatchlings. Even a super metroid is kinda low in the pole, even it nearly kills samus. The omega could nearly one-shot samus

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
mochtroids own

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yes they do

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
if they coated mochtroids in superglue or velcro or duct tape they'd pretty much be metroids. cloning project success

checking that has reminded me that i really love the body language communication between samus and dark samus in 2

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I said it earlier but that symmetrical arm canon raise at the end of prime 2 was beyond epic

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
In Metroid Prime Hunters, there weren't any Metroids at all. However, in the Metroid Prime Hunters: First Hunt demo that came with the original DS, the training program did include Metroids for you to battle.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

i just saw metroid prime hunters gameplay for the first time

:stare: god drat if nothing else that sure was a technical feat for the first loving DS

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012

Bobnumerotres posted:

a metroid that looks dumb and deals lovely damage..from far away! also abigger target for the ice beam

and this music plays when you fight it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGnFiGcsi0k

no poo poo sherlock. i meant more about how they looked. they're pretty freaky looking compared to normal metroids imo. i mean by the time i played metroid prime i had seen normal metroids a poo poo load of times so they weren't as creepy any more and suddenly there's this loving weird red metroid? and it has a tentacle? what the gently caress?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Bobnumerotres posted:

i just saw metroid prime hunters gameplay for the first time

:stare: god drat if nothing else that sure was a technical feat for the first loving DS

You missed out. The single player was merely passable, but the multiplayer was really good. I'd even go as far as to say the touch screen aiming is second only to mouse (yes, that means I think it's better than the Wiimote aiming). The FFA deathmatch type you played with strangers was meh but some of the other KOTH and CTF gametypes were sweet as gently caress. You could get headshots and poo poo it was great.

My favorite guy was Sylux because he drained your health with electricity and lived forever

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Bobnumerotres posted:

the introduction for metroids in prime 1 is pretty great, in prime 3 it is epic and eerie as gently caress.

prime 2 is just kind of like "lol oh no theres metroids..dont worry tho"

I really liked the Metroids in Project Base, they use the 'baby' sprites and are really tough and fast and take multiple power bombs to get them off you, they actually put a bit of the horror back I guess they were originally supposed to have as the energy draining monstrosities the series is named after

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

A Steampunk Gent posted:

I really liked the Metroids in Project Base, they use the 'baby' sprites and are really tough and fast and take multiple power bombs to get them off you, they actually put a bit of the horror back I guess they were originally supposed to have as the energy draining monstrosities the series is named after

that sounds loving terrible actually

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

if metroids could just deal like, a tank or two before you shook them off it would be fine. but dont make them take multiple power bombs or make them a super tedious fight

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Acquire Currency! posted:

I said it earlier but that symmetrical arm canon raise at the end of prime 2 was beyond epic

I'm a fan of the scanning action escape from dark Aether after the final boss.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Bobnumerotres posted:

if metroids could just deal like, a tank or two before you shook them off it would be fine. but dont make them take multiple power bombs or make them a super tedious fight
What are you talking about, incredible tedium is extremely fun and good.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Bobnumerotres posted:

that sounds loving terrible actually

They only turn up in tourian and you get a full replenish before the final boss so they're basically the only hazard of the map alongside those two elite pirates and there's only like two or three of them then, I thought they were pretty cool :shrug:

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Metroid Prime Ultra-Hard Super Edition Mod brought to you by the same level scaling as Borderlands 2.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Yeah, those were some real tedious 30 second long fights

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012

Bobnumerotres posted:

i can't say i've ever noticed what that guy is talking about. i've played PB plenty of times and the metroids still go down in 5 missiles/1 super missile. you also shouldn't be letting yourself be caught by one the first place.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
Mother of god Project Base looks hideous.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

last time i played project base i died and samus had a completely nude sprite they edited in and i just deleted it

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Bobnumerotres posted:

last time i played project base i died and samus had a completely nude sprite they edited in and i just deleted it

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

No wonder they call it a hard mod.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

AHungryRobot posted:

i can't say i've ever noticed what that guy is talking about. i've played PB plenty of times and the metroids still go down in 5 missiles/1 super missile. you also shouldn't be letting yourself be caught by one the first place.

Huh I just looked it up and you're right. Weird, I could swear the Metroids were alot harder that time, sorry for my weird hallucinated misinformation

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

there are a lot of mods for super metroid that involve making the expansions give you far less stuff and putting absurd platforming puzzles everywhere and poo poo, even near the beginning of the game.

i understand the people that make these mods have played through SM 100 times and probably don't even remember the samus being hurt sound but god drat it is horrible design to just jack up the difficulty as high as possible for every room

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Bobnumerotres posted:

there are a lot of mods for super metroid that involve making the expansions give you far less stuff and putting absurd platforming puzzles everywhere and poo poo, even near the beginning of the game.

i understand the people that make these mods have played through SM 100 times and probably don't even remember the samus being hurt sound but god drat it is horrible design to just jack up the difficulty as high as possible for every room
They definitely remember the hurt sound for the times they put her in the lava so they can see the death animation.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

FactsAreUseless posted:

They definitely remember the hurt sound for the times they put her in the lava so they can see the death animation.

:greenangel:

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

They'd run into enemies, but that would take too many hands.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
Aside from the palettes being sampled from a tonsillolith, it seems pretty cool so far.

lmao the game over screen is "adam, forgive me"

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Lemming posted:

You missed out. The single player was merely passable, but the multiplayer was really good. I'd even go as far as to say the touch screen aiming is second only to mouse (yes, that means I think it's better than the Wiimote aiming). The FFA deathmatch type you played with strangers was meh but some of the other KOTH and CTF gametypes were sweet as gently caress. You could get headshots and poo poo it was great.

My favorite guy was Sylux because he drained your health with electricity and lived forever

I remember playing a pretty good amount of hunters, and the lava guy was my favorite. apparently there is one hunter who is by far the best out of all of them with regards to pvp. i dont remember which one it was but it was really bad

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

mabels big day posted:

I remember playing a pretty good amount of hunters, and the lava guy was my favorite. apparently there is one hunter who is by far the best out of all of them with regards to pvp. i dont remember which one it was but it was really bad

There was one guy who could use the cold gun to freeze you if he was close enough, but there was a bug that let you do it across the map. I think the red guy could also one hit kill you with the sniper rifle in the head, but I don't really know. I didn't play the FFA deathmatch game mode much because it was lovely (it was timed and basically impossible to die, you could always go to your alt form and run away to heal pretty much).

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bobnumerotres posted:

:whitewater:

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Okay so I'm playing that project base. Redone sprite colors look retarded and Ceres station didn't even trigger a countdown after Ridley just flew away immediately

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

Yeah, the underwhelming midtier enemy METROID PRIME that is the final boss of every Prime game....get real, bozo.

Good point. What was Metroid Prime again, like some Metroid queen that burrowed into the sealed crater and absorbed the source of all phazon?

But you kill that fucker and the boss of the other Prime games is like a clone of Samus made from Phazon goo after Metroid Prime exploded I thought? I dunno I don't really remember.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So yeah there is a naked samus death sprite in base.
The game over screen reads "Adam, forgive me." god loving drat it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Acquire Currency! posted:

Okay so I'm playing that project base. Redone sprite colors look retarded and Ceres station didn't even trigger a countdown after Ridley just flew away immediately

I liked it for the QoL improvements but some of the changes were really stupid. Why the hell would you take out the item get jingle :mad:

• Locked thread