Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
Would anyone mind giving me tips for Raid Mode in Revelations? I know this is a common question in this thread but I only started playing yesterday, and my obsessive desire to do everything in order and not advance to next stage until I have gotten an S Rank and a Trinity Bonus has stalled me on the Promenade Deck on Chasm. Is there any particularly weapons or items I should be on the look out for and/or prioritize purchasing, or general strategies I should use?

Also, is there a consistent way to trigger melee? I know that it is super effective if I can charge it up, but it seems completely random when I can stun an enemy. Do I just need to slap on as many "daze" mods as I can onto my weapons?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Geight posted:

Excellent. I was mostly just hoping that he became president after his head was blown apart into tiny pieces and his body was riddled with bullets. I am going to watch all of these movies now. :allears:

The movies also made Carlos actually pretty awesome so enjoy that.

Also be sure to listen to the DVD Commentary because Milla Jovovich is great. In the first movie she recorded commentary with Michelle Rodriguez, Anderson and the producer Jeremy Bolt. Through the whole thing Jovovich and Rodriguez are joking around with each other and having a blast while poor Anderson and Bolt try to explain the technical stuff about making the film.

In the second movie they were smarter and put the director and producer and stuff in theri own commentary track. This time there was an actor commentary track with Jovovich and the guy who plays Carlos (Oded Fehr) recording together while the lady who played Jill (Sienna Guillory) records stuff on her own. Jovovich and Fehr are basically like she and Rodriguez had been, just cracking jokes and having a blast. Then the commentary will switch to Guillory who is so amazingly serious that the contrast has to be heard to be believed. I respect her commitment, thatshe actually had someone play the game for her so she could look at Jill's mannerisms and stuff and copy them, but she just takes the movie and role so seriously while Jovovich and Fehr are making fun of everything.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Feb 10, 2015

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
I could totally watch the first two with commentary since those are the two I've seen before. It's my understanding that things get a bit weird starting in the third movie.

Also is Real Survival mode in the REmastered worth trying, or is it just a pain in the rear end?

marathon Stairmaster sesh
Apr 28, 2009

ALL HAIL CEO NUGGET
1988-PRESENT

In It For The Tank posted:

Is there any particularly weapons or items I should be on the look out for and/or prioritize purchasing, or general strategies I should use?

For weapons and items, the offical website is your best bet for weapon/part drops via cases you get either from spending points you accumulate or participating in ranked events. But your main priority is to get enough BP to purchase upgrades except boosts. Boosts should only be used if you're sure the gun being upgraded is going to stay with you until you get a higher level weapon of that class.

Also if you thought getting Trinity Bonuses in Chasm is getting harder for you, wait until Trench and Abyss.:unsmigghh:

marathon Stairmaster sesh fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Feb 10, 2015

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

The 5th movie is where everyone returns as a virtual reality character or something, right? It's how they justify bringing dead characters back to life.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

it's even dumber than that which is great
the movie takes place in a giant underground lab in antarctica which contains setpieces filled with clones
by setpieces i mean cities and suburbs and whatever generic environment you can think of to rip from other moviess

also included is a newt (from aliens) ripoff
edit: actually it's even more hilarious than a newt ripoff because her dead mom is literally a clone of the main char rather than a surrogate

to stun enemies in rev1 shoot their arms until they start ragdolling or the tube that comes out of their heads. for hunters and most of the other bigger enemy types shoot their head a lot

the sonic nades serve this purpose too

Fereydun fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Feb 10, 2015

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I want Wesker to still be alive and show up in RE 7, just so Leon has another President to shoot.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I want Wesker to still be alive and show up in RE 7, just so Leon has another President to shoot.

Oh man. Chris and Wesker is dull, but Wesker and RE4 style Leon would be GLORIOUS :allears:

Edit:
Wesker: Complete. Global. Saturation.
Leon: you're saturation Wesker! :haw:

Pesmerga fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Feb 10, 2015

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
Revelations 2 speculation because I'm hyped as poo poo for this game:

The island is Wesker's former base of operations and/or virus research place. Claire will encounter Steve in some form as a result.

OR, the island is where Alex Wesker hosed off to while conducting research for Spencer's plans of immortality, as mentioned in a file in Lost in Nightmares. The one clue supporting this is Capcom stating that the villain of the game is a woman, and that only hardcore fans will recognize who it is. Alex Wesker could actually be a girl's name. :tinfoil:

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Saving Steve would be a nice touch, it was a shame he had to die.

Catpain Blackudder
Jul 25, 2009

Cluck, cluck, gibber, gibber, my old man's a mushroom, et cetera.

MarioTeachesWiping posted:

OR, the island is where Alex Wesker hosed off to while conducting research for Spencer's plans of immortality, as mentioned in a file in Lost in Nightmares. The one clue supporting this is Capcom stating that the villain of the game is a woman, and that only hardcore fans will recognize who it is. Alex Wesker could actually be a girl's name. :tinfoil:

I think Capcom already sort of spoiled who the mystery woman villain is

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Pesmerga posted:

Oh man. Chris and Wesker is dull, but Wesker and RE4 style Leon would be GLORIOUS :allears:

Edit:
Wesker: Complete. Global. Saturation.
Leon: you're saturation Wesker! :haw:

Ahahahahahaha. Writhe in my cage of Uroboros, my friend.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Geight posted:

I could totally watch the first two with commentary since those are the two I've seen before. It's my understanding that things get a bit weird starting in the third movie.

The T-Virus escaped and after the second movie it's a post-apocalyptic setting. The T-Virus killing everyone is fine and dandy, the problem is that the narration claims the virus dried up large bodies of water.

Yes, I know. Extinction is the only film I outright hate.

Afterlife is when Anderson started directing again and the series took a decidedly more tongue-in-cheek approach. A wise decision.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

NotAnArtist posted:

Saving Steve would be a nice touch, it was a shame he had to die.

No, no it wasn't. Steve was a mistake that was, thankfully, erased.

Lamprey Cannon
Jul 23, 2011

by exmarx

Jimbot posted:

No, no it wasn't. Steve was a mistake that was, thankfully, erased.

Cleeeeire! Cleeeeeeeeeeire!

sowry cleeeeire

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW

Catpain Blackudder posted:

I think Capcom already sort of spoiled who the mystery woman villain is

Where was this?

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
I'm afraid of spoilers and I've been on pretty much a media blackout when it comes to Revelations 2. So my question is: Is the game looking to be worth buying day 1? I loved Revelations 1 and Raid mode to death, but looking at the steam page the whole episode thing is giving me a bad sign. But then again, Barry.

So is there some sort of big looming "this title is is getting ready to launch with only half it's thrusters working" or is everything okay and I should stop worrying and love the beard?

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW

Broose posted:

I'm afraid of spoilers and I've been on pretty much a media blackout when it comes to Revelations 2. So my question is: Is the game looking to be worth buying day 1? I loved Revelations 1 and Raid mode to death, but looking at the steam page the whole episode thing is giving me a bad sign. But then again, Barry.

So is there some sort of big looming "this title is is getting ready to launch with only half it's thrusters working" or is everything okay and I should stop worrying and love the beard?

The first one was also episodic, this time you just have the option of actually buying them individually or all at once. There's also people up in arms because there's optional micro transactions to continue when you die in raid mode, which you can use in-game currency for anyway. Raid mode won't be online enabled until all the episodes are out.

Giantbomb mentioned in one of their podcasts that they've been enjoying the game surprisingly well. Famous cynics that they are, I'd call that an endorsement.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Rev 1 was episodic in game structure only. It was released as a whole package.

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW

Good Lord Fisher! posted:

Rev 1 was episodic in game structure only. It was released as a whole package.

Right, but the fact that they're actually releasing them episodically this time doesn't mean the game isn't finished or a cohesive whole. It's just an option provided to people so they can try it out instead of buying it whole hog, with the added benefit of being able to drip feed the story over a period of weeks.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Geight posted:

Also is Real Survival mode in the REmastered worth trying, or is it just a pain in the rear end?

I think it's worth a shot if you really enjoy the game and are looking for a challenge. It was definitely my hardest playthrough (although I did Invisible Enemy on Normal, not Hard). I don't think it affects the game as much as you might think – generally if you dump everything in the 1F East side item box you'll be good to go. There are a few moments where you'll have to double back or hold off on dropping of an item, but it doesn't reinvent the game. Hard mode itself is pretty challenging because of the lack of items and health.

The game is pretty good about only making you hold a few key items at once if you know what you're doing – the only tough spots are the four death masks, the last books/battery/MO disk, and the last books/stone&metal objects. Definitely play with Jill instead of Chris.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

one of the mercs preview vids
it was really random and weird

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

MarioTeachesWiping posted:

Right, but the fact that they're actually releasing them episodically this time doesn't mean the game isn't finished or a cohesive whole. It's just an option provided to people so they can try it out instead of buying it whole hog, with the added benefit of being able to drip feed the story over a period of weeks.

Oh right, I missed that you didn't say Rev 1 was released episodically. My bad. Yeah, there's no way in hell this game wasn't completely finished months ago. Capcom are just being all weird and experimental.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

So in REmake HD I just missed the 3 Hour Trophy by 15 minutes. On Real Survivor, too. :smith:

Oh well, I can try again on Normal I guess.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

That sucks man.

I cleared Jill's campaign on Hella Easy in six hours. With a guide.

:downs:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I think the only way I ever beat the original in under three hours was by using Jill and skipping getting the magnum, which takes you out of your way and wastes time, and just powering through with the grenade launcher. I kind of had to because I'm Real loving Bad at avoiding zombies so I have to stop and take out a lot of them.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Sakurazuka posted:

I think the only way I ever beat the original in under three hours was by using Jill and skipping getting the magnum, which takes you out of your way and wastes time, and just powering through with the grenade launcher. I kind of had to because I'm Real loving Bad at avoiding zombies so I have to stop and take out a lot of them.

I can do it with Chris, but I usually have to use the Samurai Edge and skip rescuing Jill.

Also, don't save anyone. You can shave off at least a good 15 or 20 minutes that way.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I'll never forget that the first time I played Resident Evil 1 I didn't have a memory card so I couldn't save. I think I died in the room you can change your clothes in during replays.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

blackguy32 posted:

I can do it with Chris, but I usually have to use the Samurai Edge and skip rescuing Jill.

Also, don't save anyone. You can shave off at least a good 15 or 20 minutes that way.

I think I've only ever beaten the game with Chris like maybe twice over every version from PS1 onwards because only having six item slots completely loving sucks.

TerryLennox
Oct 12, 2009

There is nothing tougher than a tough Mexican, just as there is nothing gentler than a gentle Mexican, nothing more honest than an honest Mexican, and above all nothing sadder than a sad Mexican. -R. Chandler.

Lotish posted:

I'll never forget that the first time I played Resident Evil 1 I didn't have a memory card so I couldn't save. I think I died in the room you can change your clothes in during replays.

Oh poo poo, you've shaken down memories I had kept chained and gagged in my mental attic. A cousin of mine had PS1 without a memory card as well and those weren't available in the country at the time. I loving remember playing MGS and RE and having to loving start over about 20 times. The PS1 she had only came with a japanese only version of the MGS demo.

I only managed to just kill the snake in the original.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
The last time I played RE2 I realized I remembered it so well that I could speed-run it without saving. I made it all the way to the labs and one of those plant things did a One Hit KO and ate my entire head.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

The last time I played RE2 I realized I remembered it so well that I could speed-run it without saving. I made it all the way to the labs and one of those plant things did a One Hit KO and ate my entire head.

Those pants are unassuming, but they are motherfuckers.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Oh god those plants I forgot how awful they could be.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

I always had a bunch of flame grenade rounds handy for those guys, I don't really remember them being much of a pain...

Now Bandersnatches, from C:V, they gave me a hassle until I learned they were weak to flame bolts.

Then you meet hunters.

Fuckin' hunters, man.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

The game also makes them poisonous if you ever decide to turn on the gas. It's the reason I never do it.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I also remember the incredibly short sewer segments in RE2. Mainly because this was the only area in the game that contains giant spiders. The camera angles really sucked down there too, and the spiders would crawl on the ceiling sometimes so you never knew where they were at. You just heard the "thump-thump-thump" of their giant loving legs. I was so terrified to go through that part as a kid. Or walking into a room and hearing the slow clicking of a licker's claws, but you don't see him yet.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

We've all been there. I was doing a Jill speedrun back on GC.

I somehow managed to get my dumb rear end crushed by one of the boulders in the underground.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

blackguy32 posted:

Yeah, I wasn't saving anyone. Since I was using Jill I was able to get Barry's Magnum which which kills the Tyrant in like a single shot too. I think most of time loss came from pausing for 20 or seconds at a time to think about where I had to go, from saving a few times too many, and just generally being bad at avoiding Zombies. Hunters seem way easier to deal with, oddly enough.

I'm considering skipping the regular Magnum now too to save time as Sakurazuka suggested. Playing on Normal should give me access to extra shotgun shells and grenade rounds to make up for that Magnum, correct?

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Raxivace posted:

Yeah, I wasn't saving anyone. Since I was using Jill I was able to get Barry's Magnum which which kills the Tyrant in like a single shot too. I think most of time loss came from pausing for 20 or seconds at a time to think about where I had to go, from saving a few times too many, and just generally being bad at avoiding Zombies. Hunters seem way easier to deal with, oddly enough.

I'm considering skipping the regular Magnum now too to save time as Sakurazuka suggested. Playing on Normal should give me access to extra shotgun shells and grenade rounds to make up for that Magnum, correct?

Yeah, normal has a lot more shotgun/grenade ammo than hard. There are also more defense items, which makes running by zombies a lot less risky.

If you have a solid route (go on youtube or twitch to get the basics), that's half the battle. The less you backtrack, the better you'll be. Skipping the magnum saves a lot of time (and Jill doesn't need it anyway) and going for the bad ending means the lab is really quick. It seems daunting but as long as you don't dawdle you'll be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

blackguy32 posted:

The game also makes them poisonous if you ever decide to turn on the gas. It's the reason I never do it.

Aside from making things harder on yourself, did the gas ever actually do anything beneficial? I never noticed anything besides making the plant monsters more annoying.