Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
I know this is the WCW thread but I just have to say that what the gently caress was even happening on this RAW? It's from 1997 and features a really loving bizarre vignette involving Sable and Fink in a laser tag match. It's not hard to see why WCW was stomping the piss out of WWF this year.

Edit: it's also very strange to see The Rock job to Ahmed Johnson of all people, and an Undertaker that is physically able to wrestle.

Edit 2: Pre-Christian conversion Shawn Michaels is super entertaining. This RAW is magical :allears:

HonorableTB fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Feb 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

HonorableTB posted:

I'm watching the Nitro where Scott Hall first showed up and this match between Scott Steiner and Sting is actually really entertaining. What happened to Steiner? He used to be really good. Was it the steroids?

steiner is still really good

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

NickRoweFillea posted:

he hates ducks

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

Yeah Scotty got way less mobile over the years due to injuries, age and ROIDS, but unlike other idiots he at least knew well enough to adapt his style to it and can still work some fun matches! The fact that he can still work though is only icing on the cake to the greatest promo in all of wrestling history, so it doesn't matter much in the end.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Blasmeister posted:

If it had Dustin Rhodes was in it it'll be Uncensored '95.

Like anyone was dumb enough to run that match more than once.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

NickRoweFillea posted:

This is true. While we're on the subject though, how is it that a man that seems to run on pure dianabol and rage hasn't had his heart explode out of his chest by now? Surely one day he's going to be flexing his peaks and pleasing his freaks and it won't be able to take it anymore and just burst free from his ribcage and run screaming down the road.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

Memento posted:

This is true. While we're on the subject though, how is it that a man that seems to run on pure dianabol and rage hasn't had his heart explode out of his chest by now? Surely one day he's going to be flexing his peaks and pleasing his freaks and it won't be able to take it anymore and just burst free from his ribcage and run screaming down the road.

Some people keel over dead at age 20 due to a subtle medication change, and some people smoke, drink, and eat bad foods and live to be 90.

Biology's a weird thing.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Memento posted:

He's a genetic freak and he's not normal.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

He says he eats super clean as well. In an interview he said his diet hasn't changed much since he was a high school wrestler.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Cracker Barrel.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Halloween Jack posted:

Cracker Barrel.

And don't bring him no tiny chicken breasts.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

HonorableTB posted:

I know this is the WCW thread but I just have to say that what the gently caress was even happening on this RAW? It's from 1997 and features a really loving bizarre vignette involving Sable and Fink in a laser tag match. It's not hard to see why WCW was stomping the piss out of WWF this year.

That was a commercial for the lazer tag product. They also did some with kung fu toys or something

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

triplexpac posted:

They also did some with kung fu toys or something

They were Karate Fighters, and they were awesome.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I found some old Nitro matches on youtube and saw pre Big-Poppa Pump steiner. Goddamn I forgot how well he moved for a huge guy.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

karmicknight posted:

He's a genetic freak and he's not normal.

A genetic super-freak.

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

Scott Steiner is seriously the wrestler that introduced me (and I'm sure many others) to the hurricanrana. It blew my loving mind as a kid.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
*frankensteiner

electric funeral
Oct 16, 2004

ACCIO PANTIES
*swoosh flick*

david carmichael posted:

*frankensteiner

Scott will get legit mad if you call it a hurricanrana.

DoctorDelaware
Mar 24, 2013

nasboat posted:

Scott Steiner is seriously the wrestler that introduced me (and I'm sure many others) to the hurricanrana. It blew my loving mind as a kid.

There's an early Clash where the Steiners wrestle...Doom, I think. Scott picks up one of them for a slam, and then backflips. Have not seen that before or since.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

DoctorDelaware posted:

There's an early Clash where the Steiners wrestle...Doom, I think. Scott picks up one of them for a slam, and then backflips. Have not seen that before or since.

Searching out clips of his backflip slam and seeing how many (of an already small sample size) end with Scotty spiking himself on the skull is a pretty good indicator of why you didn't see it more often

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Tonight at 8 PM:

WCW SPRING STAMPEDE 98!

Featuring

THE BAT MATCH

Hollywood Hogan and Kevin Nash vs The Giant and Roddy Piper in

A BAT MATCH

Plus

Sting vs Macho Man Randy Savage for the WCW Title

Jericho vs Acka Macky for the cruiserweight title

Booker T vs Chris Benoit for the TV title

DDP vs Raven for the US title

Psychosis vs La Parka

Ultimo vs Chavo Jr

AND SO MUCH MORE!

Afterwards we'll have the TNA Weekly from June of 2004 with the first KING OF THE MOUNTAIN MATCH. Oatgan and I have no idea why we wanted to get to this point because the PPV is going to be awful as they all are, but... well, we're here so let's watch it after WCW! Because of this I'm going to show SSW BEFORE WCW.

So tune in now for SSW, 8 PM for Nitro and around 11 for TNA. NECW will resume next week.

http://www.psp-tv.com/r/BadMoviesWorseWrestling

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

DDP/Raven was fantastic. Why the hell would they follow that with a no-DQ match between Sting and Randy Savage!?

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Luigi Thirty posted:

DDP/Raven was fantastic. Why the hell would they follow that with a no-DQ match between Sting and Randy Savage!?

I take it by the tone of this question that the match was awful because in theory Sting vs Randy Savage should be great.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Sanguinia posted:

I take it by the tone of this question that the match was awful because in theory Sting vs Randy Savage should be great.

DDP/Raven was an amazing hardcore match where they destroyed the whole Spring Stampede set, DDP beat up the whole Flock and then got owned by a mystery man and lost the belt.

Sting/Savage was a typical overbooked WCW main event that was two men pushing 40 rolled around in what was left of the Spring Stampede set and it was no DQ because Sting is really stupid as always and thus he lost the belt when the NWO kicked his rear end and also kicked each other's asses because Kevin Nash and Hulk Hogan forever.

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Feb 11, 2015

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Luigi Thirty posted:

DDP/Raven was an amazing hardcore match where they destroyed the whole Spring Stampede set, DDP beat up the whole Flock and then got owned and lost the belt.

Sting/Savage was a typical overbooked WCW main event that was no DQ because Sting is really stupid as always and thus he lost the belt when the NWO kicked his rear end and also kicked each other's asses because Kevin Nash and Hulk Hogan forever.

Yep, that's WCW circa 1998 alright.

Man did they drive Sting strait into the loving ground that year. They're lucky Goldberg was such a money printing machine or their doom would have started a lot sooner.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Sanguinia posted:

There was no chance Sting vs Randy Savage was going to be any good. Savage was completely done in 98 and Sting was having horrible matches with everyone but DDP.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

nasboat posted:

Steiner is also the creator of my favourite move of all time - the Steiner Screwdriver. I saw first when Wolf had it in Virtua Fighter 2, and I just loved it so much that I would make it my character's finisher in all the games that had it. It wasn't at all super elaborate, but it looked like it would truly put someone down for good.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

DoctorDelaware posted:

check out up and coming indie star trevor lee.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

With Steiner doing it, I'm surprised it didn't for real a few times

electric funeral
Oct 16, 2004

ACCIO PANTIES
*swoosh flick*

St Evan Echoes posted:

With Steiner doing it, I'm surprised it didn't for real a few times

I seem to remember reading that he broke a Japanese wrestler's neck with it but I couldn't confirm it with a search just now.

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!

HonorableTB posted:

Edit: it's also very strange to see The Rock job to Ahmed Johnson of all people, and an Undertaker that is physically able to wrestle.

Edit 2: Pre-Christian conversion Shawn Michaels is super entertaining. This RAW is magical :allears:

Sadly, but true, HBK was great as heel when he was on drugs. He gave no fucks about what he said back then and it made him awesome. He'll always be the man but his best heel work was before his back injury.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

quote:

He'll always be the man but his best heel work was before his back injury.

Wrong

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRYA1am9KiM

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

He also superkicked a kid

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Yeah that PPV may have had some bad matches, but it also gave us... THE BAT MATCH!

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

MassRafTer posted:

There was no chance Sting vs Randy Savage was going to be any good. Savage was completely done in 98 and Sting was having horrible matches with everyone but DDP.

I mentioned this in another thread but Savage jumping off the cage at Halloween Havoc '97 gave me a legit :stonk: face. I have no clue how the hell he walked away from that.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Benne posted:

I mentioned this in another thread but Savage jumping off the cage at Halloween Havoc '97 gave me a legit :stonk: face. I have no clue how the hell he walked away from that.

I've never really thought about this but Halloween Havoc 97 featured the last good match of his career.

Eleanor Pwnsevelt
Dec 25, 2003

ColeM posted:

Sadly, but true, HBK was great as heel when he was on drugs. He gave no fucks about what he said back then and it made him awesome. He'll always be the man but his best heel work was before his back injury.

Post-back injury he only had 2 brief stints as a heel in WWE: 1) as the mouth piece for WWE' s NWO and 2) during his one month Summer Slam feud with Hulk Hogan

both were awesome

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Eleanor Pwnsevelt posted:

Post-back injury he only had 2 brief stints as a heel in WWE: 1) as the mouth piece for WWE' s NWO and 2) during his one month Summer Slam feud with Hulk Hogan

both were awesome

If you're going to count #1, where he wasn't a worker, then you have to count his screwing over of Daniel Bryan.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

MassRafTer posted:

I've never really thought about this but Halloween Havoc 97 featured the last good match of his career.

Haha yeah considering how hosed up his hip was from years of big elbows, maybe he should have not jumped off a cage.

But then again sometimes the Macho Madness takes control and you can't help yourself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatorfade
Nov 24, 2014

bark
Didn't savage have some ok matches with Bret around 98-99? Like not stellar, but pretty good.