Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Yeah the drills are good, score attack is great for forcing you to nail everything in a performance, and session mode is amazing for exploring theory ideas. It's all good!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

baka kaba posted:

I really wish they'd added a few cues like 'this solo is in E minor pentatonic' so you don't have to suddenly realise one day that maybe the positions you're hitting have a familiar pattern to them, knowledge that would have saved you a whole lot of effort

I'm also hoping that stuff like that gets added in. The whole game is amazing and they don't seem to show any reason to think they won't keep developing.

If Rocksmith could teach theory and all that poo poo in-game i'd i'd i'dd :gizz:

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
All right, so which of you jokers was this?

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

After The War posted:

All right, so which of you jokers was this?

The perfect thing would be for that goon with the anime pedal to buy it and email him a youtube video playing doom metal through that.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
They all seem like reasonable requests to me :confused:

Any of you played the Squier J Mascis Jazzmaster? It's caught my eye recently and the reviews online seem to be universally glowing.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

fullroundaction posted:

I didn't read it as a request. If you try and play doom metal the guitar probably super heats and explodes.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Can old strings cause major buzzing? My guitar always had some buzzing issues but lately it's gotten real nasty.

I've been using Elixirs for three months and I practice a lot. Also, I moved to Austin where there is considerably more humidity so I don't know if this is a factor or not. Finally, I tend to bend my bottom two strings and neck a bit for a home-made whammy effect when showing off to friends. Maybe I should stop that.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

fullroundaction posted:

Any of you played the Squier J Mascis Jazzmaster? It's caught my eye recently and the reviews online seem to be universally glowing.

I played mine for about 4 hours today thinking how annoying it is that it's better than my expensive instruments. It's a great guitar. Best neck I've felt (satin, a little wide feeling, almost a soft v profile, big meaty frets). I judge most guitars against the CV50s Tele I own considering how good those are for the price and considering cheap Jazzmasters aren't as common as cheap teles, I rate it even higher. If want to know any specifics shoot, I'll try my best.

Possible negatives: it has P90s instead of real Jazzmaster pickups. They sound very good but still worth noting. I've also heard some people have had issues with the electronics but mine has been perfect and that kind of thing isn't usually too difficult.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax

fullroundaction posted:

getitgetitgetitgetit

Mine is literally my favorite guitar. Although I have replaced the pickups with SD Antiquity II's; I don't remember the stock ones being bad at all, I just wanted an 'authentic' Jazzmaster sound (it was my first good guitar, so I wanted to get as far away from my lovely strat as possible). Just like Davis said, the neck is super comfy, the body is super comfy, the sound is great, and despite what people think the vibrato and bridge stay in tune about as good as my hardtails. I like it better than my CV Tele, Epi Sheraton, and MIJ Fender '51.

Though, as a caveat, you should try one in person before trying it just in case you don't like it for whatever reason.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Ayyyyy tell me about those Antiquity IIs. I've considered throwing those in mine as well and I love me some SD.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Kilometers Davis posted:

Ayyyyy tell me about those Antiquity IIs. I've considered throwing those in guitars mine as well and I love me some SD.

I put a set in my mid 90s MIJ Jazzmaster, and they were exactly what that guitar neded. Now if only I could start the kind of band I'd use it in.

Let me know if you'd like some sound samples.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
Practice talk: Rocksmith is pretty cool about pushing you to try out and get a feel for a bunch of different styles of music.

unlawfulsoup posted:

The perfect thing would be for that goon with the anime pedal to buy it and email him a youtube video playing country through that.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Kilometers Davis posted:

Ayyyyy tell me about those Antiquity IIs. I've considered throwing those in mine as well and I love me some SD.

Duncan Antiquities are really great pickups. There's really not a lot you can ding them for; they just sound good, more or less universally.

For what it's worth, I like them more than my original 1964 Fender Jazzmaster pickups, for what I'm doing, at least. Sacrilege, I know.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax

Kilometers Davis posted:

Great, half of the reason why my JMJM is my favorite.

Bridge isn't as hot or cutting as your usual fender, but it's still somewhat similar. It's edgy whenever you have it running into dirt, while clean it's a bit spiky in a good way.

The neck is closer to a humbucker in tonality than a tele or strat; it has a strong low-end, as well as a low-mid emphasis. But it doesn't sound muddy at all, since it has the typical single-coil high-end. It is good as a clean tone, and has some clarity when run through dirt. Personally, I love it better in the rhythm circuit. It's a bit dark, but it doesn't lose it's clarity and isn't muddy at all despite the low-ohm pots. It still sound great, hell, sometimes I put it on and forget to switch it off because it still sounds great.

But I think that the middle position is where these pickups shine. I once heard somebody describe the tone as 'HD', which I suppose isn't a bad description. But it's one of my favorite pickup tones of all time. There's sparkle, jangle, and sounds clean and even; like there isn't a great emphasis in most of the frequencies (even though rationally I know this isn't the case). It doesn't work as well with dirt as the either two positions, but it's a awesome clean sound that is the sound of this guitar.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

As a head's up; Ultimate Guitar is pushing a $50 promotion to a lifetime membership that includes unlimited printing of ALL the tabs on the site.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Aw man, now you guys have me gassing for a JMJM again; after weaning myself off it over a number of weeks.

It seems that every prerequisite I have for a guitar is met in the Squier Classic Vibe, except for the actual sound coming out of the pickups; which is not to say that I dislike it - but that I really want that hollow-body warmth clean. How close to an ES-355 sound can I get with a VM thinline 72 (like so: http://www.thomann.de/gb/fender_sq_vint_modi_72_tele_thin_3ts.htm), or should I really just look at my options for 355 clones like the Ibanez AS/AF series (http://www.thomann.de/gb/ibanez_as93vls.htm) ?

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

iostream.h posted:

As a head's up; Ultimate Guitar is pushing a $50 promotion to a lifetime membership that includes unlimited printing of ALL the tabs on the site.

Is there any benefit to doing this if you already have Guitar Pro? Are the Tab Pro tabs any better?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

iostream.h posted:

...for real?

I knew they had some automatic playback feature that people might find useful, but do they seriously charge people to print a few kilobytes of text that someone else wrote and uploaded for free?

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

baka kaba posted:

...for real?

I knew they had some automatic playback feature that people might find useful, but do they seriously charge people to print a few kilobytes of text that someone else wrote and uploaded for free?

They've been pushing subscriptions for access to their Tab Pro tabs (and maybe some other "premium" features or something) for a long time now.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
They also have some of the most obnoxious advertising imaginable, and I won't give them a penny based on that alone. I usually avoid them, but I wanted to practice a song my iPad program won't display. I spent more time fighting ads, redirects, then I did reading tab.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

unlawfulsoup posted:

They also have some of the most obnoxious advertising imaginable, and I won't give them a penny based on that alone. I usually avoid them, but I wanted to practice a song my iPad program won't display. I spent more time fighting ads, redirects, then I did reading tab.

I found the site fine for just grabbing Guitar Pro tabs using a free account and haven't had too many issues with ads/redirects, though I'm usually using adblock on my desktop or grabbing tabs through my phone using the TabToolkit app.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

duckfarts posted:

Is there any benefit to doing this if you already have Guitar Pro? Are the Tab Pro tabs any better?
I have no idea.
Wow, I hadn't realized so many hate that site.
It's pretty handy for having to cram a bunch of songs as fast as you can, being able to print (and/or save PDF's) of their Tab Pros is a Godsend.
I allowed myself to get poached from my current cover group and it's a huge help for developing the new setlists for next month.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
I still miss OLGA.:(

For halfassed transcriptions it was unbeatable.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

unlawfulsoup posted:

This a million times. Pages take forever to load on my phone (if the content loads at all) and then sometimes the zoom level is static, etc. :shakefist

Thanks for the JMJM feedback guys. It sounds like exactly what I want to add as a second guitar (to compliment my HSS strat). The only negative I've read about Squire JMs is that the strings slip around on the bridge/saddles, but I don't know if that applies to this model as well.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

KingSlime posted:

Can old strings cause major buzzing? My guitar always had some buzzing issues but lately it's gotten real nasty.

I've been using Elixirs for three months and I practice a lot. Also, I moved to Austin where there is considerably more humidity so I don't know if this is a factor or not. Finally, I tend to bend my bottom two strings and neck a bit for a home-made whammy effect when showing off to friends. Maybe I should stop that.

The humidity could be a huge favtor, where is the buzzing coming from exactly - like which frets? The neck bending thing isn't an issue. A friend of mine uses that for a quick vibrato in a power violence band and he has been doing that trick for nearly 30 years with relatively the same guitar.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

fullroundaction posted:

The only negative I've read about Squire JMs is that the strings slip around on the bridge/saddles, but I don't know if that applies to this model as well.
Actually the JMJM also has a tune o matic bridge and a shorter distance from the bridge to tailpiece, so this doesn't happen even with 9s. I also have one and like it a lot, probably my favorite neck. I really like the pickups but I still want a 'real' JM with proper pickups and bridge spacing.

Which reminds me, what's the right term for Jazzmaster / Jaguar split-post style tuners? I really like those better than the cheap locking tuners installed on this extra JMJM neck I bought.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Remulak posted:

Which reminds me, what's the right term for Jazzmaster / Jaguar split-post style tuners? I really like those better than the cheap locking tuners installed on this extra JMJM neck I bought.

I think they're called fender vintage style tuners.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

comes along bort posted:

I still miss OLGA.:(

For halfassed transcriptions it was unbeatable.

I miss mxtabs. well i mostly miss the forums when they were actually used

Ferrous Wheel
Aug 18, 2007

"This is not only a security risk but we occasionally get pigeons roosting in the space as a result."

Remulak posted:

Split-shaft.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

After The War posted:

I put a set in my mid 90s MIJ Jazzmaster, and they were exactly what that guitar neded. Now if only I could start the kind of band I'd use it in.

Let me know if you'd like some sound samples.

If you don't mind doing so, sure! I'm pretty sold on them but more samples always help.

jwh posted:

Duncan Antiquities are really great pickups. There's really not a lot you can ding them for; they just sound good, more or less universally.

For what it's worth, I like them more than my original 1964 Fender Jazzmaster pickups, for what I'm doing, at least. Sacrilege, I know.

umalt posted:

Great, half of the reason why my JMJM is my favorite.

Bridge isn't as hot or cutting as your usual fender, but it's still somewhat similar. It's edgy whenever you have it running into dirt, while clean it's a bit spiky in a good way.

The neck is closer to a humbucker in tonality than a tele or strat; it has a strong low-end, as well as a low-mid emphasis. But it doesn't sound muddy at all, since it has the typical single-coil high-end. It is good as a clean tone, and has some clarity when run through dirt. Personally, I love it better in the rhythm circuit. It's a bit dark, but it doesn't lose it's clarity and isn't muddy at all despite the low-ohm pots. It still sound great, hell, sometimes I put it on and forget to switch it off because it still sounds great.

But I think that the middle position is where these pickups shine. I once heard somebody describe the tone as 'HD', which I suppose isn't a bad description. But it's one of my favorite pickup tones of all time. There's sparkle, jangle, and sounds clean and even; like there isn't a great emphasis in most of the frequencies (even though rationally I know this isn't the case). It doesn't work as well with dirt as the either two positions, but it's a awesome clean sound that is the sound of this guitar.

Well dang, that's everything I wanted to hear. I've been realizing that the middle position on Jazzmaster pickups is my absolute favorite sound, mainly with all the delay and reverb I've been using lately. Nothing comes close, maybe a middle position Tele but that's even it's own thing. The Jazzmaster sound has that clear sparkle and bounce that inspires so much creativity from me.

Is it a difficult pickup swap? I'm assuming it's straight forward but I'm not sure how the rhythm circuit wiring is.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

iostream.h posted:

I have no idea.
Wow, I hadn't realized so many hate that site.
It's pretty handy for having to cram a bunch of songs as fast as you can, being able to print (and/or save PDF's) of their Tab Pros is a Godsend.
I allowed myself to get poached from my current cover group and it's a huge help for developing the new setlists for next month.

Yeah I don't hate them, it just seems sketchy for them to charge such a large amount of money (when they already get ad revenue) for the community's work. Or am I missing something, and do they pay people to transcribe the Pro stuff now?

OLGA ruled. The lyrical content scourge was a sad time

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I've gotta give props to stringjoy, for a new company they're seriously impressing me. I made my order 4 days ago and they showed up today, which is way faster than I was expecting.

I can't wait to actually try them out and see if I'll be a repeat customer.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Time to start a stringbox monthly subscription. Patent pending!

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

muike posted:

I've gotta give props to stringjoy, for a new company they're seriously impressing me. I made my order 4 days ago and they showed up today, which is way faster than I was expecting.

I can't wait to actually try them out and see if I'll be a repeat customer.

Huh, I've always wanted to try a 12-56 set instead of 13-56 so if you like them let me know because I'm totally going down to try them.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I will once this gat dang guitar shows up

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Kilometers Davis posted:

Is it a difficult pickup swap? I'm assuming it's straight forward but I'm not sure how the rhythm circuit wiring is.

I haven't taken apart a JMJM, so I don't know how they've terminated the positive leads, but essentially you'd be unsoldering the white lead from both pickups, both ground leads, and then replacing them. Take a look at a Jazzmaster wiring diagram to get a sense of where things are. The bridge pickup connects to the lower 3-pos Gibson style switch, whereas the neck pickup connects to the upper rhythm selector switch. Both are then also grounded to the back of a pot.

I don't think it'd be too difficult to do.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

There's a local dude selling an Axl jacknife flying V for very cheap. I kind if want to buy it just for the pickups (high output p90s).
I can't find any audio/video of it being played though. Where do you look if it's not on youtube?

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Got my AS 93 in blue sunburst and hard case ordered. It should be coming in Friday and the mom & pop guitar store I ordered it from will run it down and make sure it's set up and shipped intact.

Hopefully I have pictures on Saturday/Sunday.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Feb 11, 2015

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Anyone got any experience with MIK Squire Strats? There's a guy locally selling a Korean made KV Series Squier Strat Standard Edition with some upgrades. The pickups and electronics have been upgraded to GFS Pro Texas Wound pickups with full size 250k pots. Asking $285 CAD for it.

I don't need another guitar, but I don't have a Strat in my collection and I've been casually looking at them as they pop up around the place. This one seems interesting but it's not close enough for me to go and easily check out unfortunately, so any info from you cool dudes would be appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrous Wheel
Aug 18, 2007

"This is not only a security risk but we occasionally get pigeons roosting in the space as a result."
The MIK Squier stuff I've seen has been surprisingly nice construction-wise (though the bodies are usually plywood), with junk stock hardware and pickups. I have a Squier II Pbass sitting next to me that got a few new parts a while ago, including a hilarious Delano pickup.

The main thing to watch out for is that at least some of their lines were built out of spec, so regular Fender/Warmoth/Allparts etc... replacement parts won't fit. Maybe they standardized everything later on, I dunno. They're quite cool as ultra-cheapo instruments; my bass and strat both have nice necks and I feel like that's by far their best attribute.