Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

fluppet posted:

have a stab at cloudformation/opsworks rather than setting up a single instance

Docjowles posted:

Also, do poo poo via the API rather than the web console. The point of the cloud is not to spin up special snowflakes slowly one-by-one, so don't treat it that way. There are libraries for basically every language under the sun so you can take your pick.

Autoscaling is a fun feature to experiment with. Set up an instance and an autoscaling policy, then run something in an infinite loop to spike the CPU and watch a second instance pop up automatically to help out.

What's a good starting point to do this stuff via python?

I've set up a hadoop cluster with Cloudera Manager and 3 datanodes, probably going to do a twitter thing with that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I don't have a particular tutorial in mind, but boto is the go-to Python lib for AWS.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

What's an example of something done Web UI and then the same thing with the API?

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Docjowles posted:

I don't have a particular tutorial in mind, but boto is the go-to Python lib for AWS.

cool, just installed that

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Friday at 8AM I have a mandatory 2 hour "open house" to celebrate how well we did on a University wide engagement survey and also to discuss ideas on how employees can become more engaged.

Nothing says voluntary engagement like a mandatory reception.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Tab8715 posted:

What's an example of something done Web UI and then the same thing with the API?

This is pretty much what I'm looking for. It'd be cool write a script that does something - rolling restart servers or something. Not sure really, haven't done much prod work.

edit: http://docs.pythonboto.org/en/latest/getting_started.html working through this
edit2: worked through the above - getting nerdy excited. Set up buckets / keys .. like I said I haven't done much production work so I don't even know what to really do next.

I'd like to focus a cool quick-ish project that I can script in boto

Fiendish Dr. Wu fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Feb 10, 2015

fromoutofnowhere
Mar 19, 2004

Enjoy it while you can.
What vendors do you folks use for hardware purchases? I've currently got SHI and PC Connections, PC Connections turned around a quote with-in 4 hours, while I'm still waiting for SHI. NewEggBusiness won't answer their phones and I need to hunt down several more quotes for this refresh.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I've used CDW a bit when our local vendor can't keep up or stay competitive. They've always been decent when I've needed them.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

fromoutofnowhere posted:

What vendors do you folks use for hardware purchases? I've currently got SHI and PC Connections, PC Connections turned around a quote with-in 4 hours, while I'm still waiting for SHI. NewEggBusiness won't answer their phones and I need to hunt down several more quotes for this refresh.

CDW, Dell, NewEgg, Amazon

vibur
Apr 23, 2004

fromoutofnowhere posted:

I mostly use MicroAge.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

vibur posted:

I mostly use MicroAge.

I love my MicroAge guy. He's my primary VAR, and we have accounts with most of the others. CDW, Zones, PC Mall, Dell, etc.

If it's not Dell hardware we order through MicroAge

Mulloy
Jan 3, 2005

I am your best friend's wife's sword student's current roommate.
It looks like the outage communication pendulum has swung from "faster, more concise information" back over to "more detailed, specific information."

keseph
Oct 21, 2010

beep bawk boop bawk

meanieface posted:

What would be the simplest/cheapest way to go about having a box somewhere that I can remote into from work & run a smallish SSMS on? Work only has 2008 and I want to practice on 2014 for the first MS SQL cert.

(Trying to get security folks to approve me accessing a 2014 version will literally take over a year. I've already tried that route.)

ETA: I don't have an 'extra' home computer to set up myself or I would have done so. :)

A trial $cloud account on a throw-away email account is free for a month and decent sized players will have a precreated SQL template server so you don't have to bring it yourself or do the install. Anything you're studying in the MCSA will be easily done on a 2-core VM out there, which won't exhaust your trial stipend if you shut it down before you go home.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

skipdogg posted:

I love my MicroAge guy. He's my primary VAR, and we have accounts with most of the others. CDW, Zones, PC Mall, Dell, etc.

If it's not Dell hardware we order through MicroAge

Dell has been getting slower(to ship and build) and more expensive these past few months almost to the point where we are thinking of switching primary desk/lap top vendors.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

When it comes actual end-user equipment like desktops, laptops Lenovo wins. For printers, brother is the best because it seems like the drivers automatically download and just work even from Windows Update. :downs:

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Does Lenovo have an equivalent to Dell gold support? Or is it all mail in service to the depot? NBD onsite techs rule.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

skipdogg posted:

Does Lenovo have an equivalent to Dell gold support? Or is it all mail in service to the depot? NBD onsite techs rule.

they do nbd onsite but i have had some real poo poo experiences with lenovo support

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I'm kind of skeptical of lenovo. It's probably because mine is a budget one, but my Edge E440 feels fragile as hell. The proper thinkpads are probably much better.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

We're pretty married to Dell at this point. Their Latitude line is still pretty great, universal E-Port docking stations, their gold support is still good, and we do enough volume we get pretty good pricing. HP and Lenovo can't really compare and there are no other options to be honest.

It's basically a "pick the least lovely vendor" situation. Dell still wins that.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Switched from the Dell Optiplex desktops and Latitude laptops to HP EliteDesk and EliteBooks last summer. The price difference was significant cheaper for the HPs, same specs and warranty/onsite repair options. You'd never hear me say this about their consumer line, but I enjoy working with their enterprise hardware.

The last two years we got Dell 790s, then 7010s. We've had some high failure rates, maybe around 5 or 10%, mostly bad power supplies. I know I don't have as big of a sample size for the HPs, but I've only had three or four go bad out of an order of 275. Ordering another three hundred of the units this summer, so we'll see if the quality is consistent.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Things have really gone off the deep end at my client. We're talking the kind of poo poo that makes the front page of the Washington Post. There were failings at every level of management policy wise; what little we could do was rendered mostly useless due to how neutered we are when it comes to proactively blocking malicious traffic.

Definitely time to jump ship. Final interview with the VAR that wants to hire me this Thursday. I'd stay with my current company, but they have no openings near me and I'm thinking it's time to get out of ops for a bit. Anyway, as soon as I YOTJ I'm going to tell the poo poo out of this story because it's hilarious.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

well this certainly is entertaining

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3699022

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

gently caress Panasonic tough book laptops forever and always.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

evol262 posted:

That's ok. It isn't well-spent. These kinds of things have been around forever. Every so often, they get a group which is hired into ${some_hip_company} because they just got a new round of funding and they need to expand so fast that they don't have the time to interview proper candidates, then they hawk it on their website.

Generally these companies hire because they're just banking on people who could make it through an intensive 10/12/whatever week camp being able to learn quickly enough to pick up whatever stack they're using fast enough to make meaningful contributions, not because they're exceptional engineers or diamonds in the rough or whatever.

Their cost estimator looks like it's near $17,000 with no guarantees other than "a hiring round with London companies as an entry-level developer" (which probably doesn't even pay 200% of the cost of the "Maker's Academy").

It's a scummy practice for people who think there's an easy way. There isn't. Learn to loving code if that's what you wanna do. But you don't have to pay seventeen grand plus living expenses to get a job as an entry-level developer. You need to learn to code at your current job by automating poo poo you already know and learning more about things you're curious about or that you encounter while you're automating that stuff, then start applying to jobs as a junior/entry level developer in whatever language you're using (don't use shell or powershell). Please pay me $17,000.
I know how to code, not great mind you but i get around, although I get stuck in on jobs where I'm doing more maintenance than dev which would imply otherwise. I just figured getting the foothold on the foreign market would be easier through that. Although, after looking around I would have more luck just moving to London and applying to jobs there than spending four to six months.

Honest Thief fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Feb 11, 2015

Venusy
Feb 21, 2007
:yotj: Bit of advice needed since I'm rather new at this: I left an apprenticeship at the end of January, and accepted an offer (subject to criminal record/background/reference checks) on Monday. Today, a position that I really wanted but assumed I hadn't got finally gave me a request to interview. Should they offer me the position, it's slightly better pay, and a much shorter (and cheaper) commute than the one I accepted the offer for. I really don't like going back on my word, but I haven't actually signed anything yet aside from the permission for the criminal record/background checks to be done. Am I OK in rejecting the first offer if I do get a new one?

EDIT: I spoke to the recruiter on the first position, and they got me the PDF copy of the contract to sign with potential for starting on Tuesday if the criminal record check comes back Monday. :doh:

Venusy fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Feb 11, 2015

MagnumOpus
Dec 7, 2006

Anyone work for Cisco as a FTE? Looking for impressions of work/life balance, management and peer caliber, job security, etc.

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up

Venusy posted:

:yotj: Bit of advice needed since I'm rather new at this: I left an apprenticeship at the end of January, and accepted an offer (subject to criminal record/background/reference checks) on Monday. Today, a position that I really wanted but assumed I hadn't got finally gave me a request to interview. Should they offer me the position, it's slightly better pay, and a much shorter (and cheaper) commute than the one I accepted the offer for. I really don't like going back on my word, but I haven't actually signed anything yet aside from the permission for the criminal record/background checks to be done. Am I OK in rejecting the first offer if I do get a new one?

EDIT: I spoke to the recruiter on the first position, and they got me the PDF copy of the contract to sign with potential for starting on Tuesday if the criminal record check comes back Monday. :doh:

Sounds like a pretty straight forward case of having a bird in the hand. Slightly better pay and slightly better commute alone are not worth burning a bridge at this or really any stage of your career.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Venusy posted:

It's not really that unusual to have some accept and offer and then turn it down for some reason before they start.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

skipdogg posted:

I think the hardware is a bit nicer but that's more of a personal preference. Seems like we end up depoting and mailing out laptops more than they come to fix them than we did with Dell. That said they've never messed up a repair like some of the Dell techs have.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

CloFan posted:

Switched from the Dell Optiplex desktops and Latitude laptops to HP EliteDesk and EliteBooks last summer. The price difference was significant cheaper for the HPs, same specs and warranty/onsite repair options. You'd never hear me say this about their consumer line, but I enjoy working with their enterprise hardware.

The last two years we got Dell 790s, then 7010s. We've had some high failure rates, maybe around 5 or 10%, mostly bad power supplies. I know I don't have as big of a sample size for the HPs, but I've only had three or four go bad out of an order of 275. Ordering another three hundred of the units this summer, so we'll see if the quality is consistent.

Just based on them being cheap as gently caress and to keep things standard I order in HP ProDesk 400 G1 SFF desktops, my only gripe is that they come loaded with bloat which I haven't had time to get around. My to-go laptop was the HP ProBook 450 G2 but the price has gone up and at least one has been cracked at the hinge, so I've got one Dell Latitude 3000 series as a trial which I think will be the new standard; since they look pretty tough, are cheaper, and don't have any crap on them (The provider I rarely order from goofed about availability, so gave me an upgrade at no cost as to not disappoint about using Dell, free Hybrid HDD!).

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Dark Helmut posted:

Sounds like a pretty straight forward case of having a bird in the hand. Slightly better pay and slightly better commute alone are not worth burning a bridge at this or really any stage of your career.
Seconding.

Bob Morales posted:

It's not really that unusual to have some accept and offer and then turn it down for some reason before they start.

It's not unusual, necessarily, but turning down a solid offer for an interview request stupid, and we all know my stance on continuing to interview once you've accepted an offer (even if they haven't made you a formal offer, once contingent on a background check is the same). Is it worth potentially burning a bridge over this?

Honest Thief posted:

I know how to code, not great mind you but i get around, although I get stuck in on jobs where I'm doing more maintenance than dev which would imply otherwise. I just figured getting the foothold on the foreign market would be easier through that. Although, after looking around I would have more luck just moving to London and applying to jobs there than spending four to six months.

Hey, no, it isn't. Getting a foreign work visa is all about talent and desire. Going to a "code bootcamp" is not more likely to get you offers abroad. And "just moving to London and applying for jobs there" is going to put you in a tricky visa situation. Get good at your job in the US and build some skills people may want abroad, then apply for those jobs or get sponsored by your current employer. Don't go about it backwards because you really want to leave the US. London is expensive. Would you "just move to New York and apply for jobs there"? Or SF? It's the same cost of living. This is a pipe dream.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Super Slash posted:

Just based on them being cheap as gently caress and to keep things standard I order in HP ProDesk 400 G1 SFF desktops, my only gripe is that they come loaded with bloat which I haven't had time to get around. My to-go laptop was the HP ProBook 450 G2 but the price has gone up and at least one has been cracked at the hinge, so I've got one Dell Latitude 3000 series as a trial which I think will be the new standard; since they look pretty tough, are cheaper, and don't have any crap on them (The provider I rarely order from goofed about availability, so gave me an upgrade at no cost as to not disappoint about using Dell, free Hybrid HDD!).

We went from HP ProBooks to these Lenovo laptops with quite possibly the worst touchpad in the history of mankind. The entire touchpad is the mouse button, so when you click, the entire touchpad moves, inevitably moving the cursor along with it (generally down since the hinge is up at the top I guess). How anyone thought that would be anything but infuriating, I have no idea.

Just give me two buttons if you can't do pressure sensitivity or something. It's 2015, we've had mice figured out for how many decades now?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Sheep posted:

It's 2015, we've had mice figured out for how many decades now?

Apple came out with the touchpad in the unibody MacBook Pro in 2008.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Touchpads have been available since the 90s. Even 90s Powerbooks had them.

Edit: touchpad trackpad they're both mice, point being this poo poo isn't rocket science.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Sheep posted:

We went from HP ProBooks to these Lenovo laptops with quite possibly the worst touchpad in the history of mankind. The entire touchpad is the mouse button, so when you click, the entire touchpad moves, inevitably moving the cursor along with it (generally down since the hinge is up at the top I guess). How anyone thought that would be anything but infuriating, I have no idea.

Just give me two buttons if you can't do pressure sensitivity or something. It's 2015, we've had mice figured out for how many decades now?

The newer button-trackpads are better and Lenovo added back the physical buttons for the nipple err TrackPoint :haw:

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I think I've used one of those. The thing that actually makes it bad is how far the "button" travels. If it was just a tiny amount like the microswitches on regular mice it wouldn't be a problem, but when it travels something like 5 mm on a rubber dome switch it gets impossible to control.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Sheep posted:

Touchpads have been available since the 90s. Even 90s Powerbooks had them.

Edit: touchpad trackpad they're both mice, point being this poo poo isn't rocket science.

I'm talking about the first ones that weren't complete rear end.

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sheep posted:

I have one of these (Thinkpad Yoga) for my work laptop (not my choice) but I certainly can't see how you're having that problem? Maybe if your finger is actually moving when you depress the pad.

I have a Macbook Air at home nd don't find switching to the Yoga touchpad an issue at all. I did take some time to configure it for tap to click, two finger (anywhere) right click, two finger scroll etc like I prefer on my MBA, and it's a lot better than most windows touchpads I've used.

keseph
Oct 21, 2010

beep bawk boop bawk

Sheep posted:

I have one of these. Full depress isn't required; soft taps work just fine for left click and two fingers for right click. Stop hulk smashing it and treat it about the same firmness you use a (good, new, clean) cell phone screen.
Although I might be the outlier here. I keep my touch screens in pristine condition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

No, I have that exact same issue on my thinkpad. It's very minimal, but if, for example, I'm rapidly clicking on a small button, it will shift enough to make me miss it. Click and dragging is also pretty awful with it. Not unusable, but terrible because they had this poo poo figured out for so long that they really don't have an excuse for shifting to a worse design.