Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Space Flower posted:

How undercover can you really be when you're reading a magazine called "Gau Gaw"?

Specially when the magazine has "How to make her yours in 1 week" or something like that in its cover.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

Sakurazuka posted:

How did Kureha's mum get pregnant when there are no men?

It's all about science babies in the yuri genre.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
What makes you think anyone gets pregnant?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

How is babby formed?

Maybe promised kisses give people babies, I dont know

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
Something fishy is going on in this show. Anyone want to put odds for a very unreliable narrator(s)? Seems almost guaranteed at this point.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
If you want to dig a bit more into the themes and symbolism of the last couple of episodes, here's Nick Creamer and Gabriella Ekens's writeups on Episodes Four (Creamer, Ekens), and Five (Creamer, Ekens).

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

Srice posted:

Nanami was the best character in Utena and I'll fight anyone who says otherwise!!

Nanami didn't turn into a car. :colbert:

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

The bears had tanks.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

They had guns and tanks.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Clearly they have the right to bear arms.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I'm somewhat surprised to learn that Joker was a bear.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I caught up and uhhhh... I dunno. I'm still not sure what I think of this show other than I love Life Sexy and I guess I want GInko to hook up with Kureha.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

That's this Joker

not this one

Just in case i confused anyone.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I had missed that and also had no idea what you were talking about.

Joker refs in order in my brain:

Batman

Joker from Fist of the Northstar

uhh.... Joka the bad guy from Klonoa?

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Feb 7, 2015

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I think I may, for the first time ever, be actually glad I made this thread.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Sakurazuka posted:

I think I may, for the first time ever, be actually glad I made this thread.

Sharkopath's predictions were pretty good too.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

That was a really solid episode, sound direction keeps owning and we are finally starting to get what "never give up on love" and "promised kisses" are thanks to Kureha's mom picture book, although you might need to know a tiny bit of japanese to get it across. The mirror scene in it is very important because of what Lady Kumaria mentions during it, you have to give love, even if it kills you, for the other person to reciprocate and that person might not even do so. Give, "Love"(スキ) and get back a "Kiss" (キス), so the mirror motif is even more poignant.

Which puts a lot into perspective for Kureha, Ginko and Lulu. Lulu in particular given how this episode developed Sumika, both were very similar. Lulu had a person that wouldn't back down on love until it got him killed. The moment some guys come in asking for kisses she immediately threatens them and they literally back down. She lost the person that wasn't willing to back down on love for her so she feels like she'll never get promised kisses anymore.

Also stay after the credits, we get a nice post ending shocker that all of us know will just come back to bite everyone in the rear end eventually.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Also stay after the credits, we get a nice post ending shocker that all of us know will just come back to bite everyone in the rear end eventually.

Oh come on, voyeurism isn't that bad.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Actually, I'm wondering if Ginko is a criminal because she intervened.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Also, yay funi subbed the opening and ending songs.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

Actually, I'm wondering if Ginko is a criminal because she intervened.
Intervene how? We know class president ated her unless she was lying back there too

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Still subscribing to the 'no body, no death' rule.

Also drat I need an av of Lulu in shades.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Sakurazuka posted:

Still subscribing to the 'no body, no death' rule.

Also drat I need an av of Lulu in shades.

Up for grabs

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

Cao Ni Ma posted:

need to know a tiny bit of japanese to get it across.

Another little pun in japanese that may not get across in the translation is the "Kuma Shock" thing. Shock would be spelled 'shokku', and one of the ways to read "to eat" is 'shoku'. So it's kind of like "Shock! Bears are Feeding!"

Does anyone know if the black lilies blooming scene is "Yuri ga saku", "Yuri hiraku", or "Yuri ga aku" or something like that?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
New episode means new Ekens and Creamer posts. Anyone finding these useful/interesting? I've kind of been throwing them out there, and I can stop if nobody wants 'em.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Postal Parcel posted:

Does anyone know if the black lilies blooming scene is "Yuri ga saku", "Yuri hiraku", or "Yuri ga aku" or something like that?

I should be Yuri ga aku, "The lilies open" . But yeah with the desu/da added at the end it would be "the lilies are evil" right?

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

How did Kureha's mum get pregnant when there are no men?

Probably raped by bears or something else equally as sick.

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

Now that I think about it, it would be insanely sexy if the bears were hermaphroditic. Would answer alot of questions too.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

AnacondaHL posted:

Up for grabs

That's great, cheers!

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

While people are making gifs, can I get an avatar-sized bear Ginko growling?

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

LivesInGrey posted:

While people are making gifs, can I get an avatar-sized bear Ginko growling?

Can't find it. Give me a source gif or youtube or episode#+approx timestamp

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
So the girks praying to Kumaria-sama is supposed to remind one of Marimite, right?

Darth Walrus posted:

New episode means new Ekens and Creamer posts. Anyone finding these useful/interesting? I've kind of been throwing them out there, and I can stop if nobody wants 'em.

I've been reading the blog writeups, but not the ANN ones. Good stuff, nice focus on the imagery of particular scenes.

Yes_Cantaloupe fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Feb 11, 2015

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

So the girks praying to Kumaria-sama is supposed to remind one of Marimite, right?

Possibly, although yuri/S class stuff being set in an all girls Catholic school has been a genre convention since at least Brother, Dear Brother and probably earlier.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

Just read one of them for the series up 'til now.
That...actually made a lot of sense in a way. I never really thought that the transformation sequence was a sort of riff on fanservice. I mean, I don't want to bring up the debate again, but it's interesting how the bears only transform after approval from men, and wink to the camera in a sort of "yeah, we know who you are". Whether it's an effective message or not is up to you, but it's an interesting explanation of the scene.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

In an interview its mentioned that they weren't even supposed to be men, just women with mens voices so I'm not really buying that sort of explanation. Just like the bird motif being a common trope for freedom got twisted around in this to mean flock/herd mentality I'm expecting the court to be something completely different from patriarchy. Specially now that their function seems eerily similar to what Lady Kumaria was saying in the story.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

Cao Ni Ma posted:

In an interview its mentioned that they weren't even supposed to be men, just women with mens voices so I'm not really buying that sort of explanation. Just like the bird motif being a common trope for freedom got twisted around in this to mean flock/herd mentality I'm expecting the court to be something completely different from patriarchy. Specially now that their function seems eerily similar to what Lady Kumaria was saying in the story.

Oh, huh, didn't know that. Where is this interview?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Postal Parcel posted:

Oh, huh, didn't know that. Where is this interview?

Darth Walrus posted:

Notes on an interview with Ikuhara and Morishima about YKA. It seems the latter was pretty influential on the direction of the work, even if the manga she's doing on her own is very different. Interestingly, it was her idea to have the Court of Yuri as guys - Ikuhara was originally thinking of them being women with male voices.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Cao Ni Ma posted:

That was the original idea, but plans change. In the final product, we have the only recurring male characters being a tribunal who judge what is and is not acceptable yuri, and the oneshot male character, Mirun, delegitimising his sister by his very existence. Even if patriarchy wasn't originally a planned theme, I'd say it's one now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
The full OP is out. I was waiting on this because I loved the song.

The album art, not shown on here, on the other hand... I would advise AGAINST seeking it out and making your own (I'm using Harishima).

Senerio fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Feb 13, 2015

• Locked thread