Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Saw it again tonight. Ugh. I just noticed that they sort of make fun of the stupid "duckface" trend but the chick on that youtube video cover is doing it.

PT6A posted:

I haven't had a cigarette for a couple of months now, but goddamn does the self-righteousness of most non-smokers piss me off.
Uh not trying to start a fight with you man but I don't think it's self-righteousness so much as the fact that it's physically unpleasant to be around smokers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
At least the Truth campaign actually made something that's probably mildly amusing to someone. The commercials they used to put out were so godawful that this is a step up.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I'm a non-smoker and that anti-smoking campaign still comes across as a little "oh you loving disgusting worthless piece of poo poo no one would want to gently caress you you monster I hate youIhateyouIHATEYOU!"

Like, jesus. :stare:

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

PT6A posted:

Excellent. I'll take all the hot chicks that smoke, not to mention I don't want to be with someone who's going to be a massive bitch about something I like anyway.

I haven't had a cigarette for a couple of months now, but goddamn does the self-righteousness of most non-smokers piss me off.

Whoa there Captain Cool, you seem a bit pent-up, why don't you relax with a smoke.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark
"Itchy Bread". gently caress you, get the gently caress off my radio.

Nerdfest X
Feb 7, 2008
UberDork Extreme

Das Boo posted:

I'm a non-smoker and that anti-smoking campaign still comes across as a little "oh you loving disgusting worthless piece of poo poo no one would want to gently caress you you monster I hate youIhateyouIHATEYOU!"

Like, jesus. :stare:

I feel the same way with cable vs. dish. I will never have a dish, but the "dish-head" campaign cable has been running for the past few years is extremely condescending, idiotic, and stupid.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Hazo posted:

Uh not trying to start a fight with you man but I don't think it's self-righteousness so much as the fact that it's physically unpleasant to be around smokers.

Yeah, it's really not that bad. I never really had a problem with being around smokers before I started smoking, while I was smoking, or after I quit smoking.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

The most effective ads are the ones that simply show people dying of lung cancer and all the health problems that are caused due to smoking.

Want to scare the poo poo out of someone? Do that.

The whole "SMOKING ISN'T COOL" doesn't work. Though I imagine that's the point of the RJ Reynolds funded "TRUTH" ads.

anticake
Nov 5, 2004

Biscuit Hider
Does Australia still have that law that cigarette packages have to be plain black with pictures of horrible smoking teeth and gums and poo poo on them? Did that work? The only identifier legal under that thing was the brand name, on the side in like 12 point font, and I think they wanted to go further and make them all the same font but am unsure if that was included in the original law.

Pierce and Pierce
Jul 1, 2007
Murders and Executions

FuzzySkinner posted:

The most effective ads are the ones that simply show people dying of lung cancer and all the health problems that are caused due to smoking.

The whole "SMOKING ISN'T COOL" doesn't work. Though I imagine that's the point of the RJ Reynolds funded "TRUTH" ads.

They pay for the ads but they don't have any choice in who makes them or what the content of the ads actually are

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Hazo posted:

I had the exact same same reaction. "Heh an after-school PSA parody... Wait... this is real :stare:"

I mean I guess it's sort of good that they're flat out saying how smoking makes you unattractive and unpleasant to be around in the eyes of normal people, but putting it in the form of a three minute hip hop video with people making goofy exaggerated faces and unironically shouting "HASH TAG" was pretty grating.

A "friend" of mine on facebook, posting after I said in my status that this ad is awful:

quote:

On the contrary they are using current pop culture references that target people who are at an age where they might start smoking. If you used tinder it would make more sense. I haven't seen the ad but based on what you just said it will make sense to the current generation of up and coming smokers.

I hate so many things right now.

FuzzySkinner posted:

This. Also, the ad with the guy going out to smoke and it somehow summoning the Nazgul from LotR is extremely dumb because it makes smoking look BADASS.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Majorian posted:

This. Also, the ad with the guy going out to smoke and it somehow summoning the Nazgul from LotR is extremely dumb because it makes smoking look BADASS.

I was terribly upset when I realized this wasn't something I could play.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

FuzzySkinner posted:

I don't know that would work either, it never had much of an effect on me. What did was the immediate health consequences like being out of breath, coughing all the time, feeling your heart race after smoking a cigarette, and that sort of thing. Pretty much every smoker deals with all of those things to some degree, and it happens immediately, instead of "these really bad things might happen in a few decades if you keep smoking." That's really the only thing that keeps me from smoking even now.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

PT6A posted:

I don't know that would work either, it never had much of an effect on me. What did was the immediate health consequences like being out of breath, coughing all the time, feeling your heart race after smoking a cigarette, and that sort of thing. Pretty much every smoker deals with all of those things to some degree, and it happens immediately, instead of "these really bad things might happen in a few decades if you keep smoking." That's really the only thing that keeps me from smoking even now.

That's kind of what has kept me from smoking for all of my life too: it just seems like a major hassle, even if you're lucky and don't end up with cancer or emphysema.

That said, though, I think the commercials showing people dying of lung cancer or other smoking-related illnesses is still the best way to go, if you're dead-set on having a TV campaign against smoking. Unfortunately, ads that showcase things like shortness of breath, coughing, and feeling your heart race don't make for gripping TV ads.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Would emphasizing the price work at all? Smoking is loving expensive these days, maybe if young people were made to release that over a lifetime you could buy three more cars or whatever instead smoking, it might work. I guess if you're targetting kids though, tell them they could buy SO MUCH MORE CLASH OF CLANS BULLSHIT!!!!1

Make it a metaphor in the commericial, where three times a day a bully comes up, punches you in the chest, and takes 8 dollars from your wallet. Like that, kids? Now, you're out of breath, AND you can't afford to buy any more loving rear end in a top hat cards or fairydust or whatever it is the gently caress you buy in Clash of Candy Crusher Clans.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
maybe there are a lot of different things you can say about smoking, all of which will resonate with some and have the completely opposite effect on others

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Make it a metaphor in the commericial, where three times a day a bully comes up, punches you in the chest, and takes 8 dollars from your wallet. Like that, kids? Now, you're out of breath, AND you can't afford to buy any more loving rear end in a top hat cards or fairydust or whatever it is the gently caress you buy in Clash of Candy Crusher Clans.
They've done an entire campaign around literally that metaphor.

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Would emphasizing the price work at all? Smoking is loving expensive these days, maybe if young people were made to release that over a lifetime you could buy three more cars or whatever instead smoking, it might work. I guess if you're targetting kids though, tell them they could buy SO MUCH MORE CLASH OF CLANS BULLSHIT!!!!1

This actually sounds like a pretty solid idea, imo. I mean, I only smoke weed and I already feel a good amount of pressure on my wallet that makes me reconsider my vice every once in awhile. AND CIGS DONT EVEN GET YOU HIGHHHHHH mannnnnn

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

Majorian posted:

How do you mention this and not post a link?

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
^^ I searched for "truth" on youtube and didn't see a single one of these ads in the first two pages, so much for that I guess.

Majorian posted:

Is that the OVER 7000 CHEMICALS one? Because yeah, that's annoying.

Polygynous fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Feb 13, 2015

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

CapnAndy posted:

They've done an entire campaign around literally that metaphor.

It took me a long time to figure out the guy yelling at them to do things was dressed like a cigarette. Maybe because I just assume paunchy angry mullet guys just wear white t-shirts and brown pants as, like, a uniform

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Vicas posted:

maybe there are a lot of different things you can say about smoking, all of which will resonate with some and have the completely opposite effect on others

There are, but there are also many things that one can say that are intended to dissuade young people from smoking, but absolutely have no chance of succeeding. Those are the ads that look like the "Butt Out!" presentation on "South Park."

Shaman Ooglaboogla posted:

I can't find it anywhere anymore, unfortunately. It's a very, very poorly conceived ad.

e: I still sometimes see it on Adult Swim, so you might see it on there.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Feb 15, 2015

LIMBO KING
May 3, 2006

Shaman Ooglaboogla posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvcBUf2Bzbs

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Progressive has been getting weird with their commercials, what with Flo showing up in '70s after school specials, being murdered throughout history, and showing up on Maury.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
They also have this series of ads about her "family" being awful to her or something? It seems like they're going for the Geico spray and pray method

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Vicas posted:

They also have this series of ads about her "family" being awful to her or something? It seems like they're going for the Geico spray and pray method

Yeah, I guess they're hopping on the fresh "Nutty Professor spoof" bandwagon with that one, since all her family members are played by her.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

raditts posted:

Progressive has been getting weird with their commercials, what with Flo showing up in '70s after school specials, being murdered throughout history, and showing up on Maury.

I'm stupidly impressed with how well done the 70's one was when I first saw it.

Like I've seen people try to replicate a "retro" and they've really struggled to capture it. Whomever did the editing of that commercial should be very, very proud of themselves.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Ah ha, thanks! It probably would have helped if I remembered the name of the ad.

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Never cross an introvert.

FuzzySkinner posted:

I'm stupidly impressed with how well done the 70's one was when I first saw it.

Like I've seen people try to replicate a "retro" and they've really struggled to capture it. Whomever did the editing of that commercial should be very, very proud of themselves.

The "sprinkles are for winners" line gets me every time.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Tupping Liberty posted:

The "sprinkles are for winners" line gets me every time.

For me it's a combination of that and the 70s-ish "3D" logo animation.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

raditts posted:

I always laugh when she says "uh-oh" in the first segment.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Yeah, the 70's one's the first commercial to get an audible laugh out of me in I don't know how long. The comedic timing was spot-on.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
I wish T Mobile would bring back skinny girl and do away with the annoying pink and black clip art jumble of nonsense. Would not make me want a t mobile account, but would stop making me want to shoot my tv.

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

I'm not sure how I feel about this ad about heroin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPF-Juks2N0

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
I just saw this. Worst jingle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SRdNjBPnzQ

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
I really like these two posts being right next to each other

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
Reddit's Sprint's new ad is random....and loving dumb. I have a feel this has been posted before here. If it has ignore it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xjbO-0qaDU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I will willingly give Verizon more money than I'd give Sprint, just to discourage Sprint.

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Never cross an introvert.

Canned Panda posted:

I'm not sure how I feel about this ad about heroin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPF-Juks2N0

What the gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Sprint copying Adult Swim bumpers is so desperate.