Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Tardcore posted:

poo poo so they're scattered across the whole world map then?

:golfclap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Tardcore posted:

:thurman:

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.

Tardcore posted:

Speedtree is a blight that drags down every game it's used in.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

im pooping! posted:

If he's talking about what I think he's talking about, it's Jiub's Opus in the Soul Cairn and it is indeed boring as poo poo, but hey it's the guy from Morrowind.

**and no your joke didn't go above my head but at least Skyrim has a map, traversing Vvardenfell is just terrifying.

The worst part about Impatience of a Saint is that the reward for it is a kinda middling amulet that gives an armor bonus and a little carry weight. There's a lot of better amulets out there.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

God damnit, my fish died in Mass Effect 2 and I friend zoned Yeoman Chambers before she offered to feed my fish, now I can't get the Prejek Paddlefish in Mass Effect 3 and I miss out on a 10% increase on my power damage which I would like for an insanity runthrough.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

im pooping! posted:

God damnit, my fish died in Mass Effect 2 and I friend zoned Yeoman Chambers before she offered to feed my fish, now I can't get the Prejek Paddlefish in Mass Effect 3 and I miss out on a 10% increase on my power damage which I would like for an insanity runthrough.

Pretty sure if you're on xbox or PC you can save edit that.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Tardcore posted:

Goddamn. :golfclap:

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop
Another one from Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate , sometimes the monsters will stand actually outside of the area. So if I try to get close enough to attack them, I'll actually travel to the next area instead of getting close. Some monsters, like the lagiacrus and the pink rathian, seem to do this a lot more than others. Also, sometimes when I am following a monster to a different area, the monster will leave the current area before I do, but when I enter the next one, it will be behind me and have the chance to hit me as soon as I enter.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

im pooping! posted:

I had to google to see if you were taking the piss or not. Jesus.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

GIANT OUIJA BOARD posted:

Another one from Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate , sometimes the monsters will stand actually outside of the area. So if I try to get close enough to attack them, I'll actually travel to the next area instead of getting close. Some monsters, like the lagiacrus and the pink rathian, seem to do this a lot more than others. Also, sometimes when I am following a monster to a different area, the monster will leave the current area before I do, but when I enter the next one, it will be behind me and have the chance to hit me as soon as I enter.

I have many good (not good) memories of multiplayer hunts in monster hunter tri in which someone would enter a zone the exact time a monster would attack there, slapping them back into the other zone as if to tell them to gently caress off so they could just fight the rest of us in peace.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

GIANT OUIJA BOARD posted:

The best thing is when you kill one and its corpse falls outside of the zone so you can't carve it.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
Two little things about Diablo III: Ultimate Evil Edition (PS4 version).

- you can't move while having the full map open, which is sometimes a nuisance if the dungeon is large (and if you can, the option is hidden well)
- the camera is fixed and if you're behind a rock or something it'll only outline the character and the companion, AoE spells, pets and enemies become literally invisible, which is especially a problem in cave-type dungeons

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I'm at the end of Shovel Knight, and God drat the boss rush is kicking my rear end.

Yeah, it gives you food between each "round", but it's not always easy to get to it, depending on circumstances (for instance the Polar Knight makes it really hard to get to, between constant rolling snowballs, and him making part of the floor spikes, etc..) Sometimes I manage to open the food, but it then vanishes before I get to it.

I'm not good at this game...my death tally is absurd...I think I went into the second-section of the final level with a few thousand gold, and was down to zero well before I got to the end.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
The narrator in Transistor annoys the poo poo out of me. Actually, just about everything in that game annoys me. I really don't like Transistor.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Oldstench posted:

The narrator in Transistor annoys the poo poo out of me. Actually, just about everything in that game annoys me. I really don't like Transistor.
That's okay, I like it enough for both of us.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Oldstench posted:

Well, then, buster, I don't like you.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

DrBouvenstein posted:

I'm at the end of Shovel Knight, and God drat the boss rush is kicking my rear end.

Yeah, it gives you food between each "round", but it's not always easy to get to it, depending on circumstances (for instance the Polar Knight makes it really hard to get to, between constant rolling snowballs, and him making part of the floor spikes, etc..) Sometimes I manage to open the food, but it then vanishes before I get to it.

I'm not good at this game...my death tally is absurd...I think I went into the second-section of the final level with a few thousand gold, and was down to zero well before I got to the end.

use relics judiciously

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
The Phase locket is your friend.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Once I realized I could spam the phase locket, Shovel Knight became so easy I still feel a little guilty about it. I should do another run without abusing it at some point.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

Oldstench posted:

:getout:

Though I am curious is it the setting or the noir feel? I am biased because I really liked that game but still curious as to what you see as flaws.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

ZeusCannon posted:

:getout:

Though I am curious is it the setting or the noir feel? I am biased because I really liked that game but still curious as to what you see as flaws.

I played that game for awhile after getting it in a sale. There was just nothing about it that grabbed me and made me want to keep playing so I stopped after an hour or two. I didn't really care about the story, or the setting, or the combat system. I liked Bastion so I was pretty disappointed.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
I like the setting, though I'm still working out exactly what it is...

My irrationally irritating gaming moment is people stating things the character should already know, or that you should be able to work out from context. I mean, when's the last time someone in real life said something like "Over there is the supermarket - you can buy all your everyday supplies there."

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

Elfface posted:

I like the setting, though I'm still working out exactly what it is...

1930's Cyber-Paris.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
Transistor is pretty great.

It's desire to explain next to nothing about the world, and actively ridicule you for wanting to know more however, is not.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The narration style of Transistor took all the things that were fun about the narration style of Bastion and went like, "Nah, just add some more Joss Whedon to it, I'm sure that will have no adverse effect"

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

CJacobs posted:

The narration style of Transistor took all the things that were fun about the narration style of Bastion and went like, "Nah, just add some more Joss Whedon to it, I'm sure that will have no adverse effect"
Yes, it is definitely very Joss Whedon, I can think of all of the Joss Whedon properties it resembles.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I meant it in a good and bad way, really. Red and the sword are pretty darn snarky for it being the end of the world and the former being unable to talk.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

CJacobs posted:

I meant it in a good and bad way, really. Red and the sword are pretty darn snarky for it being the end of the world and the former being unable to talk.

Red literally doesn't talk except through typing in access terminals, and pretty much every time it's just trying to tell people to run and then giving up.
Blue says whatever's on his mind but he's rarely actively humourous.

I really have no clue what you're talking about.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

I played an hour of Transistor and loving hated it. Didn't touch it for a week then tried it again just because of how good Bastion was. I finished it, liked it, wasn't amazing to me. The story was kinda up its own rear end and too obtuse.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Transistor's writing was far too ambitious, and you didn't quite feel the same attachment between Red and Blue as the writer wanted.

The setting is cool if you like post-singularity upload, but the actual environments had no thought or rhythm to it. Bastion spaced and paced them out by giving you a home base after every mission, whereas Transistor was basically a 1-way corridor. They tried to make the environment act like a loop, but that again didn't come across properly.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Yall I'm playing transistor right now please don't ruin it for me ok.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Bastion and Transistor feel like they came out in the wrong order. It would make a lot more sense for their first game to be the one with the sloppy and over-ambitious narrative and dull gameplay and then the second one be the one with the tight and responsive gameplay and storytelling whose reach doesn't exceed its grasp.

Tweet Me Balls
Apr 14, 2009

On the one hand I don't want to say that you can't prefer Bastion over Transistor on a technical or storytelling basis, but on the other hand I think if you are going to play one, you should at least make a token effort of appreciating the other. They're wonderful companion pieces, and while they follow some similar rhythms, the ways they contrast against one another seem very deliberate and important.

Bastion is all about war and industry and race, and the gameplay is fast and kind of brutal with all sorts of guns and spears and cannons.

Transistor is all about social engineering and art and culture, and combat involves sitting down and planning things out and trying all sorts of different combinations of things with a weapon that is frequently described as a paintbrush.

I get not liking the story or gameplay, but if you already own the games, play enough of each to appreciate how they at least tried to tie the narrative and mood in with the actual gamey bits while making both (arguably) good.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Phobophilia posted:

Transistor's writing was far too ambitious, and you didn't quite feel the same attachment between Red and Blue as the writer wanted.

The setting is cool if you like post-singularity upload, but the actual environments had no thought or rhythm to it. Bastion spaced and paced them out by giving you a home base after every mission, whereas Transistor was basically a 1-way corridor. They tried to make the environment act like a loop, but that again didn't come across properly.

Its writing tries desperately to be vague and insinuating but there's no heft or substance behind the little that is said or revealed.
Sparse films like Eraserhead work because the symbolism and visual imagery are so deeply entwined into the narrative that it's very easy to sense subtext and depth even if you don't immediately understand it. The narrative has a backbone instead of just stylized flourishes.
Transistor is 90% going through samey areas and listening to obtuse dialogue while fighting enemies. There is no real meat to it. It's empty and airy. The writing doesn't say a lot with a little, it only exists to accomplish a certain atmosphere and vibe but that can't be all you have.
Stories like 2001 are powerful despite being vague and not very verbose, but Transistor is just not very powerful or compelling beyond its basic aura.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

JebanyPedal posted:

Its writing tries desperately to be vague and insinuating but there's no heft or substance behind the little that is said or revealed.
Sparse films like Eraserhead work because the symbolism and visual imagery are so deeply entwined into the narrative that it's very easy to sense subtext and depth even if you don't immediately understand it. The narrative has a backbone instead of just stylized flourishes.
Transistor is 90% going through samey areas and listening to obtuse dialogue while fighting enemies. There is no real meat to it. It's empty and airy. The writing doesn't say a lot with a little, it only exists to accomplish a certain atmosphere and vibe but that can't be all you have.
Stories like 2001 are powerful despite being vague and not very verbose, but Transistor is just not very powerful or compelling beyond its basic aura.

Transistor is basically The Zybourne Clock only with circuits instead of steam and the "Hold it, buster!" girl as the protagonist.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I'm glad I'm not the only one that found Transistor to be an utterly hollow and lifeless facsimile of Bastion, which is one of my favorite games. It really feels like they had no idea what made Bastion so great, its kind of baffling.

Accordion Man has a new favorite as of 05:24 on Feb 13, 2015

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Transistor was one of the greatest games of last year and you are all going to Philistine Hell where the only movies are the Transformers trilogy and there's nothing to read but self-help books.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

I'm so glad I read what the 'reward' for 100 feather is Assassin's Creed 2 was ahead of time. I think I would've been mad about video games if they surprised me with that one. You really have to evaluate what type of player you are after learning that, I think.

If you don't know You get the "Auditore" cape, which, when worn, just makes the guards in Florence always be on high alert for you, and that's it.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Sleeveless posted:

Transistor is basically The Zybourne Clock only with circuits instead of steam and the "Hold it, buster!" girl as the protagonist.

I knew that a developer of Fallout New Vegas posts here sometimes, but I had no clue there was an elaborate Something Awful reference in the game. :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Captain Lavender posted:

I'm so glad I read what the 'reward' for 100 feather is Assassin's Creed 2 was ahead of time. I think I would've been mad about video games if they surprised me with that one. You really have to evaluate what type of player you are after learning that, I think.

If you don't know You get the "Auditore" cape, which, when worn, just makes the guards in Florence always be on high alert for you, and that's it.

The cape makes it so the guards basically ignore you doing anything short of killing people or punching other guards in the face.

Your mom also speaks to you for the first time in 20 years. Those magic feathers can cure PTSD!