Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

The Bogey is a philosopher who knows

Walton Simons posted:

My Dad tried to exchange Metal Gear Solid because of the screen going blank and HIDEO appearing in the corner during the Psycho Mantis fight.

I was working at GAME when MGS2 came out, and we did a midnight launch for it. Around 1am as we were locking up, this really angry dude comes in complaining about how he cannot get past the menu screen so it was obviously faulty and we had ruined his evening by selling a faulty disc, etc. We loaded it up on the demo PS2 and it turned out he didnt pay attention to the little "Press O to continue" detail and was just pressing X furiously, thereby returning to the previous menu over and over.

I mean, yeah its a bit weird that pretty much every other PAL PS2 game used X as the confirmation button, but you would think he would have maybe tried other buttons before storming back to the shop and complaining.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

Heard a story while I was working at Gamestop years ago about someone trying to return Metal Gear Solid because every time they pushed X on the main menu it would back the out to the title screen. They just needed to push O.

Edit:

Bogmonster posted:

I was working at GAME when MGS2 came out, and we did a midnight launch for it. Around 1am as we were locking up, this really angry dude comes in complaining about how he cannot get past the menu screen so it was obviously faulty and we had ruined his evening by selling a faulty disc, etc. We loaded it up on the demo PS2 and it turned out he didnt pay attention to the little "Press O to continue" detail and was just pressing X furiously, thereby returning to the previous menu over and over.

I mean, yeah its a bit weird that pretty much every other PAL PS2 game used X as the confirmation button, but you would think he would have maybe tried other buttons before storming back to the shop and complaining.

Hah!

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Bogmonster posted:

That man? DarkSydePhil.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

McDragon posted:

Far Cry 4 is pretty great. Full of nice little touches. No idea if they were in 2 or 3 as well, haven't played those.

Anyway, there's an auto drive feature and it is great. As long as you're on a proper road, you just press a button and it automatically drives you to your waypoint. Very useful as I haven't quite got the hang of the vehicle controls yet. Also you can ride elephants, and all the bad guys freak out about it. With good reason, elephants kick rear end in that game. I was trying to take out an outpost and I guess I acdidentally freed an elephant I hadn't noticed and he did the whole thing for me pretty much.

It is missing the Blood Dragon feature of being able to give everything the finger though, as far as I can tell.

If you use melee on an elephant while your crosshair is on another elephant, that elephant starts following you. Soon you have an army of giant animals storming an outpost.

Big Grunty Secret
Aug 28, 2007

Just one question, though. Is there a way to take off my pants?

Bogmonster posted:

It's a Japanese thing. I used to have a Japanese-coded PS2 and on the home menu, O was confirm and X was back. I guess in Japan an O mark is used instead of a check mark for "Yes" and X means "No", so it kind of makes sense, no idea why MGS2 had that other than Kojima being Kojima.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

Big Grunty Secret posted:

It's a Japanese thing. I used to have a Japanese-coded PS2 and on the home menu, O was confirm and X was back. I guess in Japan an O mark is used instead of a check mark for "Yes" and X means "No", so it kind of makes sense, no idea why MGS2 had that other than Kojima being Kojima.

A lot of big-name games didn't have their control schemes localized to the US when they were brought over even during the PS1 era - including FF7 and the original Metal Gear Solid.

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
One of my friends had a copy of MGS3 which he had never played for that exact reason, he couldn't get past the menu screen.

That friend us now working for a [GAME COMPANY] as a QA tester.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
I'm at a loss for words about how someone can be so obtuse.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Tracula posted:

In my experience it's a combination of not paying attention and being the type of person who immediately gives up at the slightest hint of a problem.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Kimmalah posted:

the type of person who immediately gives up at the slightest hint of a problem.

That really has to be it. I'm sure most people would, after seeing that the usual button does nothing, start pressing every other button. "Welp X isn't working, game must be broken :effort:"

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I have no idea why I'm remembering this, but I remember the Call of Duty games from 4 til.. at least Black Ops, would have no problems spawning you in the middle of an explosion or the route of a bullet so you could die instantly. I have no idea who let that slip, since I never have had that happen in other FPS's.

Goldeneye for the N64 was great for this. Just place mines on all the spawn points and play the waiting game...

Back in that era, Rare really had a knack for all kinds of little things in their games. Every gun in Perfect Dark had a unique reload animation, and there was a game mode where the second player played as a random guard throughout the level to try and stop the first player from completing the mission. God drat that game is great.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

FELD1 posted:

and there was a game mode where the second player played as a random guard throughout the level to try and stop the first player from completing the mission. God drat that game is great.

I don't understand why this isn't a thing now. Imagine invading your steam friend's STALKER game or something, he just gets a PDA message with a vague headshot saying that Sergei Pubbiewitz is coming for a bounty on his head and has no idea who in the area you might be until you're all too close :getin:

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Watch_Dogs has it.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
I want to say I remember hearing that Gravelording in Dark Souls was gonna kinda be like this where you'd poses an enemy in someone else's world.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
In Watch Dogs you can't really gank, though, just sort of annoy and possibly cost a small amount of time and status.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

haveblue posted:

In Watch Dogs you can't really gank, though, just sort of annoy and possibly cost a small amount of time and status.

Watch Dogs had few redeeming qualities but it had an app for your phone where you could challenge a friend and they'd try to race through different checkpoints while you were on your phone blowing up steam pipes and setting up traps. You'd follow them in a helicopter which they could get out and destroy, which would make it so you couldn't set anything up for a few seconds until another one arrived. One of the few times I bothered with an outside the game tie-in type thing.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Tracula posted:

The same way people never figured out to hold up at that one Sonic level.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
I like how in the web game Trolling you can get a really high Flame Multiplier if you intentionally get a small fact wrong while showing a severe level of indifference

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Another Animal Crossing one: if one of your villagers gets caught by bees and you talk to them, they'll all just yell at you to run and save yourself so you don't get stung. :3:

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006
Friday nights are for Wapner!

Sociopastry posted:

Another Animal Crossing one: if one of your villagers gets caught by bees and you talk to them, they'll all just yell at you to run and save yourself so you don't get stung. :3:

also, if you wear a mask and get stung, your villagers won't notice and you don't have to go through the dialogue. Found this out when I was wearing the wrestling mask and despite still being able to actually see the sting, my villagers wouldn't say a word about it.

Arx Monolith
May 4, 2007

Sentient Data posted:

I like how in the web game Trolling you can get a really high Flame Multiplier if you intentionally get a small fact wrong while showing a severe level of indifference

Do you have a link? Googling trolling game comes up with a whole mess of things I don't want.

NuminaXLT
Nov 11, 2002

Arx Monolith posted:

Do you have a link? Googling trolling game comes up with a whole mess of things I don't want.

Its really an MMO, in fact you're playing it RIGHT NOW.

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
There's a 'horror' game called Spooky's House of Jumpscares where you go into a big ol' haunted house run by this cute little ghost, and it's the most cliché type of horror. Lots of corridors and corners. Until the jumpscares start happening, which is to say little cardboard cutouts of octopi and tree stumps with cute little faces on popping from the wall with silly sound effects happening. After that it becomes more conventional horror with a bunch of things chasing you.

You can come across a computer which holds details of all the chasers you can come across, and it comes with killcounts for each of them. The cardboard cutouts have 4 kills from cardiac arrest. :3:

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Big Grunty Secret posted:

I always thought it was a hold-over from the NES / SNES A and B buttons being in relatively same location (with A equaling yes 99% of the time).

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

Pneub posted:

I always thought it was a hold-over from the NES / SNES A and B buttons being in relatively same location (with A equaling yes 99% of the time).

BGS is pretty much correct - look up "maru" and "batsu" and you'll see that it's pretty standard in Japan for a circle to mean "Correct" and X to mean "Incorrect".

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

BGS is pretty much correct - look up "maru" and "batsu" and you'll see that it's pretty standard in Japan for a circle to mean "Correct" and X to mean "Incorrect".

Well the whole reason why there are shapes on the Playstation controller is so that it would be understandable by anyone regardless of what language they spoke. So O would be yes or accept X would be no Triangle would be head movement or camera and square would be a piece of paper for menu or inventory.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Fingerless Gloves posted:

One of my friends had a copy of MGS3 which he had never played for that exact reason, he couldn't get past the menu screen.

That friend us now working for a [GAME COMPANY] as a QA tester.

BloodBorne should start when you press down on the D-Pad.

The real Dark Souls starts here.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

And if you gaze long enough into a nest, the nest will gaze back into you.
I've been playing the new Wolfenstein game and throughout the game there are collectible letters that are really just world building. They're mostly from and to people you never meet, but the very last one is from one of your buds, the epitome of gentle giant named Max, and his letter is super adorable.

Also B.J. will occasionally throw out one liners, but because he doesn't really have a good sense of humor they're actually funny (on purpose as far as I can tell) for how silly they are.

"Stupid moon..."

Edit: also the fact that a huuuuge plot point in a Wolfenstein game is moldy concrete.

Double edit: also the completely unremarked-upon secret room in your secret hideout that has been clearly set up by Max so he can pretend to be a cowboy, coupled with the also unremarked-upon time you see Max's overly tough friend/caregiver/father figure walk out of Max's room wearing a cowboy hat, which he removes as soon as he realizes people are watching him.

Samfucius has a new favorite as of 21:13 on Feb 12, 2015

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

Basically all of the characterization in the game is really really good, even more so when it surprises you because you are playing a goddamn Wolfenstein game.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Samfucius posted:

Basically all of the characterization in the game is really really good, even more so when it surprises you because you are playing a goddamn Wolfenstein game.

The devs are Starbreeze alum, they've literally built a career out of giving IPs much better storytelling than anybody expected.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

I had to look up Starbreeze, but it did not surprise me at all to see that they did Brothers.

Also I see they did the Chronicles of Riddick game, which was maybe my favorite Xbox game I ever owned, so this is all making sense. However, maybe I just got duped by an internet rumor, but I thought that Vin Diesel founded his own VG developer for that game because he's a huge nerd and wanted it to be good. Was he just really involved in development or something?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Vin Diesel was really involved in development, not just because he's a huge nerd but because he really likes being Riddick. He didn't found Starbreeze, he founded a company called Tigon that helped out with that (but not other Starbreeze games).

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

Samfucius posted:

I had to look up Starbreeze, but it did not surprise me at all to see that they did Brothers.

Also I see they did the Chronicles of Riddick game, which was maybe my favorite Xbox game I ever owned, so this is all making sense. However, maybe I just got duped by an internet rumor, but I thought that Vin Diesel founded his own VG developer for that game because he's a huge nerd and wanted it to be good. Was he just really involved in development or something?

He owns one of the studios that published the game (Tigon Studios, which is owned by his film studio One Race Films).

e:f;b

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I think for the first Riddick game they were just in an executive producer kind of role and it was pretty much all Starbreeze. For the second game they were probably heavily involved with the mo-cap and voice recording.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Let's put aside everything to say how loving good a game Riddick was. The stealth in that game was like ten years ahead of its time.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

TontoCorazon posted:

Let's put aside everything to say how loving good a game Riddick was. The stealth in that game was like ten years ahead of its time.

Starbreeze does my favorite arbitrary collectibles because each one will usually have a joke or amusing thing that makes finding it its own reward independent of whatever it unlocks.

In Riddick the collectibles are packs of smokes and each one has its own unique brand name and packaging with a joke warning to match, like a brand called Russian Roulette with the warning that one of the cigarettes will kill you instantly.

In The Darkness the collectibles are phone numbers and you redeem them by dialing them on a payphone, with every single one having a unique audio clip.

Daedo
May 5, 2002
Wolfenstein had lots of little fun things in it but one of my favourites was when you are in a Nazi garage. There's a car that's up on blocks that's getting repaired and you can interact with it to get BJ to climb in and pretend he's driving. Complete with "broom broom" noises made by his mouth and him picking up an imaginary female hitchhiker.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Daedo posted:

Wolfenstein had lots of little fun things in it but one of my favourites was when you are in a Nazi garage. There's a car that's up on blocks that's getting repaired and you can interact with it to get BJ to climb in and pretend he's driving. Complete with "broom broom" noises made by his mouth and him picking up an imaginary female hitchhiker.

"I'm commin' fer you, ya Nazi fuckin spaceman!" :allears:

I did get a big kick out of having the Nazi's force the Beatles to sing everything in German according to some of the newspaper articles you find. Also that America is a terrorist filled wasteland of freedom fighters even after getting nuked into surrendering. They have nothing to do with the plot, but are really weird and cool to find throughout the game.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Daedo posted:

I liked the level of wolfenstein 3d hidden in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Race Driver: Grid allows me to use my favourite car racing tactic, sliding sideways into the car ahead of me in order to take a corner way too fast. :haw: